IGNORED

Should we let Semenyo loose against Leeds.

Vincent Vega

56 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'd start Semenyo. We are missing something and I think he is it. If he helps Diedhiou play better then even better. Might need to go 352 to be able to play 2 up top.

Why would the 2nd best..? Defensive team in the division, currently sat in the play off zone, having only lost 2 of their last 328..?! league matches, want to change formation and risk disrupting their defensive stability..? 

1 hour ago, Grey Fox said:

So i guess SL was right to recall him rather than spend loads of money on a striker in January.............? ?

Semenyo might be the next pele, but half an hour on his debut certainly doesnt mean he will make the difference for us in a championship play off push. We all obviously hope he does, but theres no way we would know if he would have that impact for the rest of the season. We should have been looking to bring another striker in.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I'd start Semenyo. We are missing something and I think he is it. If he helps Diedhiou play better then even better. Might need to go 352 to be able to play 2 up top.

I do think there will be one change v Leeds in the front 6....think O’Dowda might get the hook.  That does create an opportunity to play Antoine.  I would start him on the bench.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Because I don't think we have looked the 2nd best defensively in the last few games, and whenever we seem to switch to a 352 we look fine defensively and more of a threat going forward. We have defenders that are comfortable in a 3, with full backs that are more wing back types. That second half performance was so impressive against Wolves with the change to 352.

I think we do have the personnel, yes, but I think it’s easier to play that way when you have nothing to lose and are chasing a game. 

I cant see us switching to that from the outset. 

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He was great today off the bench, his presence helped Diedhiou top but I'm unsure about him and Diedhiou from the start.

Leeds will be a much different game. People talk about their prodigious workrate but they're also excellent technically. Would 2 up front leave us vulnerable, plus risk exposing Pack? I think it could.

Otoh, if it's about us being deep until they reach say halfway inside our half and then pressing and springing quick breaks,  then this could expose Leeds somewhat. 

If we want to try to compete for equal or greater possession I'd say not, if it's counterpressing type game as above then it could be worth some consideration.

This , very much this.
From what I watched Friday they are a hard working, high pressing side, with a fair amount of threat and ability. Going back to the Sheff U game , LJ switched to a back 3 to keep it tight , he stated they were the highest scoring team in the first half of games . He kept it tight and went to win it in the 2nd half. I think we might see something similar Saturday, not saying we will play a 5-4-1 , but I think we may see a slightly more cautious starting Xl. One from left field would be Marley Watkins on the right , Weimann on the left and O'Dowda missing out , concentrating on stopping Leeds first. Then , depending on how the game is panning out, trying to win it later on , Semenyo , Palmer , Taylor can all make an impact. 

16 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This , very much this.
From what I watched Friday they are a hard working, high pressing side, with a fair amount of threat and ability. Going back to the Sheff U game , LJ switched to a back 3 to keep it tight , he stated they were the highest scoring team in the first half of games . He kept it tight and went to win it in the 2nd half. I think we might see something similar Saturday, not saying we will play a 5-4-1 , but I think we may see a slightly more cautious starting Xl. One from left field would be Marley Watkins on the right , Weimann on the left and O'Dowda missing out , concentrating on stopping Leeds first. Then , depending on how the game is panning out, trying to win it later on , Semenyo , Palmer , Taylor can all make an impact. 

If ever there was a game to tell Pack to not go anywhere apart from his cage, it is Saturday v Leeds.  Bamford - need to stop us getting balls into his feed, and linking up with Hernandez.  That for me is the battle to win.  Pack was all over the place (not necessarily in a critical way) on Tuesday, and yesterday we played more 4231 which restricted Brownhill.

In terms of wide, of course Semenyo could play LW/LF, but despite my comment earlier it would be a risk to not play O'Dowda, or at least Eliasson. 

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If ever there was a game to tell Pack to not go anywhere apart from his cage, it is Saturday v Leeds.  Bamford - need to stop us getting balls into his feed, and linking up with Hernandez.  That for me is the battle to win.  Pack was all over the place (not necessarily in a critical way) on Tuesday, and yesterday we played more 4231 which restricted Brownhill.

In terms of wide, of course Semenyo could play LW/LF, but despite my comment earlier it would be a risk to not play O'Dowda, or at least Eliasson. 

Pack , and come to that Brownhill , was/were allowed to get the ball deep Vs Brum , but his/their pass out was restricted by the Brum set up. Very good and restricted space to a minimum. Leeds do it differently, but we will be caught in possession , specially if Pack wants time to look and choose his pass, and we won't be allowed to pass the ball across the back line just to take a breather either. My biggest criticism Tuesday was we took so long to get the ball to FB's or wide men when in acres of space. With so little space we needed to move the ball quickly, we didn't. 
I think that Leeds is a game for COD , one way to beat the press is run past it and he can do that , but LJ has mentioned his concerns about his defensive ability, wasn't it him that was caught flat footed when Preston scored their goal? 
Only one change needed for Leeds , DaSilva has to come in, other than that depends on LJ's mindset. If he sticks with the 4-1-4-1 / 4-4-1-1 or if he worries about Leeds maybe switch to a 3-5-1-1 / 5-4-1 

Massive game , could do with a win and although I almost think a draw would be good , with Sheff U , WBA and Villa all in the next 6 games I'm not sure draws agains all those would keep us in the top 6. Even if we beat Ipswich and Wigan in between.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just seen this....pretty big impact in 35 minutes.

Didn’t pick up some of these things on live stream.

Very impressive indeed.

Would I start him against Leeds ? No - too big a game for this lad just yet

But, I would certainly have him on the bench and (depending how things are going) bring him on to play alongside Fammy at half time or just after. 

Is he our new Tammy A ?

Could be. 

He’s a young lad whose just been given a short taste of what it’s all about at Championship level and he’s had a great start.

But, Johnson is big on making sure newbies understand the way we play and I don’t see him being thrown in from the start in such a big game.

What the kid has shown is he can be trusted in a situation where we needed him to make an impact so I would expect him to remain as an impact sub at the moment. He is an unknown quantity and in the last half an hour of games that could be to our advantage.

On 03/03/2019 at 12:01, The Red Planet said:

It's going to be a 100% sellout - apart from a possible few empty seats relating to Season Card holders who can't make the game.

Approx 160 tickets still showing available around the ground

Everyone just needs to calm down. The lad was very positive when he came on but to consider starting him against one of the best sides in the league? ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, we can see he has bags of talent but any wise gaffer will slowly introduce him to first team footy.

49 minutes ago, Jack Bailey said:

Everyone just needs to calm down. The lad was very positive when he came on but to consider starting him against one of the best sides in the league? ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, we can see he has bags of talent but any wise gaffer will slowly introduce him to first team footy.

It has certainly created some debate. 

Its interesting in home games that we’ve often gone 4141, kept it tight and then after an hour gone a bit more expansive with either a tweak to 4411 or 41212 Diamond...and gone on to win  

Im probably in the camp of keeping the same approach, especially v Leeds. 

The good thing with LJ is that most of the time his subs are done early enough to make an impact. No point in giving Semenyo 5 minutes. 

Lets also not forget Taylor. Don’t think Semenyo has jumped the queue, and in some respects their ability to get between man and ball is quite similar. 

We now have another option!!!

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'd start him. Leicester and Boro struggled to cope with him. Preston players were bouncing off of him. He doesn't seem to lack confidence.

In a front '2' though?

Who would drop out for him and how would it impact our shape- would we look to cede possession at the expense of a more aggressive and counterattacking 4-4-2, a'la Birmingham's shape in some respects?

That’s the debate isn’t it?

i could see over evolving over time into something like this 41221:

Maenpaa

Hunt Kalas Webster Dasilva

Pack

Brownhill O’Dowda

Paterson Palmer (or Semenyo or Taylor)

Diedhiou

But I personally would t be changing too much v Leeds, who play a similar 4141 to us, but allow Hernandez to float. When he comes inside and we win the ball, Ayling is exposed and I expect us to exploit their Right side. 

2 hours ago, Jack Bailey said:

Eisa and adelukan both played against Leeds at Elland Road. I thought that was crazy. Can’t remember if they started though 

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think we can go 2 up top in a 352. I wouldn't go 442 with the players we have. 

I wouldn't go traditional 4-4-2 at this level in an attacking sense perse- only if aggressively counterattacking.

However yes, with our players agree- no 4-4-2. 3-5-2 could well work, played very well v Wolves 2nd half, though they did have something to defend which needs to be factored in.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Pack can struggle in a 442, with his lack of mobility. Also I think Diedhiou struggled last season in that system. Having to drop back a lot and link with the midfield more. 352 would suit them more imo.

Oh yeaah, good point- forgot about Pack. 

Definitely it can leave him exposed. Actually in general terms a 4-4-2 at this level if you're a good side, looking to dominate, control the ball and game- now I don't mean 4-1-3-2, 4-2-2-2, 4-3-1-2, 4-4-1-1 necessarily or even a flat 4-4-2 with 4 CM's- I mean old school 4-4-2 with wingers, traditional type and standard full backs- is asking for big problems unless it is counter attacking or reactive.

I don't see why not.

Since we've hit a minor dip in form, I'd be inclined to mix things up and give chances to fringe players. After all, that's the benefit of having a larger team than previous years. If we lose, we mix things up and keep the first-team competitive.

Besides, Leeds are very impressive this year, and it'd be good to introduce Semenyo to a full 90 minutes of the best team in the league, to learn the level of which we need to play at.

I was nervous when I seen semenyo in the starting line if honest. A massive game at a crucial time of the season.

I am a believer if you're good enough your old enough....but he was so raw. At fault for the goal , yellow card and poor play in the first half. My only surprise is he came out for the second half.

His day will come but in hindsight probably not the wisest move? 

I thought it was wrong team selection on the two obvious counts, Wright and Semenyo. Not sure what LJ's thinking was, I guess he though Wright would be solid behind AS. BW does a job, but it doesn't seem natural , as for Semenyo , very big game to be dropped into and IMO the wrong one. I would have had him on the bench and given him a run against a perceived weaker team Tuesday . 

Archived