Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

9 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

As a pre-empt for some of the ridiculousness in the matchday thread. Just wanted to say he was back and was really solid other than the mistimed tackle for the free kick. Was really solid and looked good. People seem to want to always have a scape-goat and for whatever reason Kelly is it at the moment. 

He is one of our own, young and lacks experience but he has had a remarkable season and doesn't need knocking down - we should be proud we are producing this caliber of player and support him even when he has a poor game (which he definitely didn't today!).

His confidence a bit low at the moment but he'll come through it. Unfortunately his mistake in the first half led to their goal and he had to be subbed after close to receiving a second yellow, played well most of the time but made a couple of poor decisions when under pressure.

• Like 5

He's got the potential to be absolute class - anyone with half a brain can see that. A few poor halves or a mistake here and there doesn't change that. 

Da Silva is slightly more advanced at the moment but both will be really good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Better today bar the silly free kick. He's the polar opposite of Dasilva though and i don't think he ultimately suits how we want to play.

• Like 1

These second half subs are becoming a bit of a pattern for young Lloyd at the moment.

As @ashton_fan says, he is low on confidence at present.

We know what he can do. We've seen it. Seen him be MOTM. However we've also seen poor games from him.

So, work-in-progress. He'll come good.

Wouldn't like to see him starting on Saturday though.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Bollocks is he , different type of player and don’t forget that Kelly is primarily a centre back .

How does Wright do when asked to fill in at full back ? 

As good as the young lad . 

I think that Sparx means that Dasilva offers far more going forward than Kelly does. He’s also makes better decisions and is positionally more astute than Kelly, largely down to Kelly’s inexperience.

I am not sure how many seen the build up to the free kick but I personally don’t think it was a “bad” foul. Wasn't great but found himself out on the right side where it will be uncomfortable for him defending. Had made two good tackle already on on the second one(like the first!) bounced towards goal and behind kelly. He doesn’t make the tackle chances are he gets to the line and fires a cutback to penalty spot. Seeing as they did the same thing for the free kick they could have scored from that. O’Dowda more to blame for letting his man get in front of him and make that good of contact with the shot. 

As for the rest of his game he was much safer and solid. Didn’t seem as tentative in possesion either. Hopefully he gained a bit of confidence back today because he was a decent contributor. 

• Like 1

Stand by what I said a few weeks back after his last poor game, he needs to be taken out of the 1st team and given a few easy games in the reserve team to get his confidence back, we all.know there is a good player in there but we will not see it again until.he gets his head right, 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

As a pre-empt for some of the ridiculousness in the matchday thread. Just wanted to say he was back and was really solid other than the mistimed tackle for the free kick. Was really solid and looked good. People seem to want to always have a scape-goat and for whatever reason Kelly is it at the moment. 

He is one of our own, young and lacks experience but he has had a remarkable season and doesn't need knocking down - we should be proud we are producing this caliber of player and support him even when he has a poor game (which he definitely didn't today!).

Well said.  I lost the stream just before the goal, so didn’t see the foul or the goal.  Thought he looked to be gaining confidence and looked really solid.

29 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

His confidence a bit low at the moment but he'll come through it. Unfortunately his mistake in the first half led to their goal and he had to be subbed after close to receiving a second yellow, played well most of the time but made a couple of poor decisions when under pressure.

So he gave away a free kick....who lost Johnson for the goal?  Was that Kelly too?

• Like 1

I think Kelly's outstanding performances earlier in the season have gone against him. Anything less than a 7 out of 10 seems rubbish in comparison to some.

• Like 3

Shame if he gets a pasting. Just as he was never the future of English football as was made out at the start of the season, neither is he as hopeless as he’s being made out to be now. But football wouldn’t be much of a game without a few ludicrously wild opinions. Even @bristolcitysweden’s certainty that Antoine Semenyo will win the Ballon d’Or.

Edited by RonWalker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Bollocks is he , different type of player and don’t forget that Kelly is primarily a centre back .

I'm not sure where all this "Kelly is a centre back" comes from - as far as I recall he played once for us at CB (against Sheffield United) and was absolutely hopeless - I think we conceded 3 first half goals but not sure. It was clearly a baptism of fire against an experienced centre forward in a meaningless end of season game but he was completed exposed.

I know LJ may have said this at some time in the past but there is no evidence at all that City have him earmarked as a CB.

Edited by Dullmoan Tone

11 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I'm not sure where all this "Kelly is a centre back" comes from - as far as I recall he played once for us at CB (against Sheffield United) and was absolutely hopeless - I think we conceded 3 first half goals but not sure. It was clearly a baptism of fire against an experienced centre forward in a meaningless end of season game but he was completed exposed.

I know LJ may have said this at some time in the past but there is no evidence at all that City have him earmarked as a CB.

You missed him having a really, really good game marking Britt Assombolonga in the Boro home game.

You missed his debut for for City’s first team v Brislington in a friendly in 15/16.

You missed him saying himself he’s a CB.

🤣🤣🤣

I find it sad that fans will berate Kelly. He’s young, experiencing his first season as a first choice, at a pretty damn good level of football. 

Ultimately we know he has ability. As a youngster being tested at this level he will obviously have a few bad games here and there. But the bigger picture is being missed by anyone who slags him off. 

First team exposure, get him 100 champ level appearances on his cv by the age of 22 and the kid will be worth multiple millions. He’s an investment ultimately. We are a club that needs to sell players for good value in order to continue to compete at the top end of this division.  It’s part of the remit of LJ that he shop-windows our academy boys and makes money. Sometimes this will mean a poor performance has to be accepted, and the manager has to have the balls to see him through it and keep faith. 

This season was always gonna be tough for him. I was always one who said give him the first team shirt and play him through his learnings, stick with him through his inevitable mistakes. He’s our own product and as fans we need to be 100% behind him and not slag him off if he makes a few errors. He’s had more good games than bad this season, remember that. 

As for JDS. A totally different full back. But I’d point out that JDS gives the ball away very frequently through unforced errors. But people don’t tend to notice that too much. Unfortunately a few of Kelly’s errors have been high profile whereas JDS loses the ball more often but has been fortunate not to have been punished as badly. But JDS is a wholly different player and has some very good attributes that Kelly doesn’t have, and vice-versa. 

Lay off the kid folks. He’s in the team because he’s good enough but he’ll make mistakes. But he’s also an asset that needs the support and bravery of the manager to realise his full value. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

What led to the goal was crap marking of a runner. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Brentford away Kelly was outstanding at centre back. Boro home game he was our best player at centre back. That's pretty strong evidence imo

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You missed him having a really, really good game marking Britt Assombolonga in the Boro home game.

You missed his debut for for City’s first team v Brislington in a friendly in 15/16.

🤣🤣🤣

I think missing a friendly against Brislington is excusable!!

I don't remember the Boro game so apologies.

That said, if he is a CB, shouldn't we be playing him there - he is having a patchy spell at LB right now?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

🤣🤣🤣

Also LJ saying he is, him playing there at youth level, him playing there for England u21s. 

This has been said about him since he first started breaking through its not something made recently to defend him. 

I think part of the problem Lloyd has currently is that it is actually too easy for him and hence he looks casual and losses focus during games.

He is very similar to Rio Ferdinand in that when Rio was a young player he lost concentration too easily and was culpable for a good few goals when he was at WHU and Leeds - but look at the player he became.

Lloyd has a fantastic career in front of him, however he needs to learn and focus, that will come with experience and maturity.

I would be very surprised if he was here in August, assuming we don’t go up. The lad is a future England player.

Edited by ScottishRed
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Brentford away Kelly was outstanding at centre back. Boro home game he was our best player at centre back. That's pretty strong evidence imo

I'm still not sure about this between us (inc Davefevs) we remember 3 games 2 "outstanding" and 1 horror show.

But we lost all 3 games - clearly we can't blame a very young LK for this, but are you sure the glasses are a little rose tinted?

2 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

He is a downgrade from dasilva simple as that

My arse. Kelly is far better defensively. 

Did you not see Dasilva get torn to shreds against Wolves?? I don't think that would have happened to Kelly. 

Why is this even a competition? Isn't it great that we have two great young left backs who bring different things to the team??

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

My arse. Kelly is far better defensively. 

Did you not see Dasilva get torn to shreds against Wolves?? I don't think that would have happened to Kelly. 

Why is this even a competition? Isn't it great that we have two great young left backs who bring different things to the team??

I don’t mind in getting ripped apart against prem opposition if kelly is so much better then why does LJ prefer dasilva most weeks

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

How does Wright do when asked to fill in at full back ? 

As good as the young lad . 

Play him at centre back then if he is not a left back why would he play Instead of dasilva anyway doesn’t make sense

3 minutes ago, Sparkz 76 said:

I don’t mind in getting ripped apart against prem opposition if kelly is so much better then why does LJ prefer dasilva most weeks

I don't think he does prefer him. I think Kelly is being given a little rest, let's remember this is his first full season. His performances dipped a little and I think none of us would argue about giving him a little rest.

They both have different skillsets so for that reason it's impossible to compare them both.

I want to give Matt Hill as an example. Was very clear he had potential but he made some terrible mistakes in his first season. I particularly remembering him giving away penalties by handling the ball. He went on and had a decent Championship career whilst we languished in League One.

Kelly better defensively but I want my full backs to bomb forward kelly doesn’t offer this dasilva does I think he is quality

Really want the chap to succeed but I just don’t think he is anywhere near as good as Da Silva. Just because he is “one of our own” doesn’t make him good enough. That said, hope I am proved wrong.

3 minutes ago, Sparkz 76 said:

Kelly better defensively but I want my full backs to bomb forward kelly doesn’t offer this dasilva does I think he is quality

Kelly does get forward and he has an excellent cross on him too.

By playing a 4411 your not going to be instructing your full backs to bomb forward.

26 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I'm still not sure about this between us (inc Davefevs) we remember 3 games 2 "outstanding" and 1 horror show.

But we lost all 3 games - clearly we can't blame a very young LK for this, but are you sure the glasses are a little rose tinted?

We beat Brentford. Sheffield United game was his first game at centre back.

So your saying Kelly much better than dasilva and should start every week over a recognised LB even though Kelly is a CB :laugh: 

Edited by Sparkz 76

48 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I think missing a friendly against Brislington is excusable!!

I don't remember the Boro game so apologies.

That said, if he is a CB, shouldn't we be playing him there - he is having a patchy spell at LB right now?

Part-timer!!!! 😂

Kelly is a center back first, it has been stated a 1000 times, he has played there for us and England. However we have Kalas and Webster there Baker and Bailey Wright in reserve.

Kelly is versatile and is able to play very well anywhere at the back and get forward when required. He had a decent game covering all over our defence. The foul he conceded was down our right as he was covering from the left. We conceded the goal because the marking of the runner was close to non-existent.

Why people even argue any of this is ridiculous. The boy is a very good player, there is no other comment to make. My god he even trained with the full England squad...!

It will be interesting to see what position England U21 plays him...Center Back I suspect. A visit to AG for that game could be an education for some.

• Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

Why knock the lad.He plays for the club we all support.

When we all started our first jobs were we as great/ productive?

We probably all learnt as we went along listening and progressing until we all became ceo,s in multi nationals !

Did we ####

Give him a break/ I thinks it’s great we have Da Silva and Kelly sharing the load and learning their trade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Kelly is a center back first, it has been stated a 1000 times, he has played there for us and England. However we have Kalas and Webster there Baker and Bailey Wright in reserve.

Kelly is versatile and is able to play very well anywhere at the back and get forward when required. He had a decent game covering all over our defence. The foul he conceded was down our right as he was covering from the left. We conceded the goal because the marking of the runner was close to non-existent.

Why people even argue any of this is ridiculous. The boy is a very good player, there is no other comment to make. My god he even trained with the full England squad...!

It will be interesting to see what position England U21 plays him...Center Back I suspect. A visit to AG for that game could be an education for some.

Exactly. He trains with the England full squad, yet some on here don't seem to rate him, or even acknowledge that he has huge potential. Someone even brought up he was poor against Sheffield United, his first ever competitive game at centre back! He plays centre back for the under 21s. Was the best player on the pitch in the Italy under 21 win, at centre back.

• Like 2

I’m not slating Lloyd I just think dasilva is a better option at the moment with the confidence he has at present. Lloyd was keeping Jay out the team for half a season with his form so swings in roundabouts I would love LK to be with us for the next 10 years but football is not all sparkles and rainbows and it’s all a learning curve for every young  professional.

Edited by Sparkz 76

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 20:24, Up The City! said:

Kelly does get forward and he has an excellent cross on him too.

By playing a 4411 your not going to be instructing your full backs to bomb forward.

Yes you would frequently. City play 4-1-4-1 frequently. In either formation if your full backs do not push up that's a five and a five. Fiv offensive. Five defensive. Players have to go forwards and join in or you will always be outnumbered. Playing 4-1-4-1 creates shapes where both full backs can join in and the holding midfielder sits in and it becomes 3-6-1 etc in possession. Pushing full backs on creates better (generally) passing angles v being flat.

Edited by Cowshed

On 02/03/2019 at 17:11, BCFC Richard said:

People seem to want to always have a scape-goat and for whatever reason Kelly is it at the moment. 

Pato was "it" a couple of months ago (but has improved), then it was Fammy (but hes scored a few), so now it is time to find another one. Step forward Kelly who has made a few mistakes, yet has generally been quality for us this season given his age and experience. 

Give it time and "it" will soon be someone else.

• Like 2

Kelly will come good again, all youngsters have blips like this, the best come through them. He will still be a top player with a season or two.

As for Dasilva, the greatest compliment to him was paid by Birmingham who clearly saw that stopping him coming forward and pressuring with two or sometimes three players would stifle the whole team.

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 17:11, BCFC Richard said:

Not sure he is being made a scapegoat. COD seems to be filling that position quite well at the moment

Comparisons between Da Silva and Kelly are only natural, but they aren't the same at all. I happen to prefer Da Siva. What frustrates the hell out of me with Kelly is the general tempo of his game - slow and laboured. He is closed down too quickly, fails to spot team mates runs and seems to have reverted to sideway and backwards passing. If he can just quicken things up and get back to what we all saw earlier on in the season ie bombing on and whipping in decent crosses. Sometimes, the 'he's one of our own' tag doesn't help

Don't agree with all this subbing full backs too often. Pick your best at the time, stick with it and the other one waits his turn. 

Edited by AppyDAZE