Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Hampshire reds

Lansdown Q&A

if anyone is attending the q&a with steve up in preston tomorrow.  would someone please ask if there is any truth in us agreeing fees with chelsea and how close  to completing the deals. thank u. 

Here you go... I already have the answer....

”all very talented players (as long as KP doesn’t play like he did on Tuesday, ever again!) we’d like to sign them and they know we’d like to keep them. They are enjoying their football here, but most clubs in the championship would also like to sign players of their calibre and we have to cut our cloth accordingly. We are interested in keeping them, but there is nothing close at the moment” 

13 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Here you go... I already have the answer....

”all very talented players (as long as KP doesn’t play like he did on Tuesday, ever again!) we’d like to sign them and they know we’d like to keep them. They are enjoying their football here, but most clubs in the championship would also like to sign players of their calibre and we have to cut our cloth accordingly. We are interested in keeping them, but there is nothing close at the moment” 

Spot on !!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

£10m for all 3.  Problem is, who has a spare £10m plus a sizable wages bill?

We have put ourselves in a much stronger position for this summer’s window by making tough decisions last summer.

Potential exits of:

• Baker - pure speculation from me...could see him going back to Villa
  • O’Dowda - if he doesn’t sign a new deal
  • Kelly - if it were to be used to finance 3 players

plus the possibility of Fielding, Pisano not getting extensions, creates some wiggle room outside of normal attrition, e.g. Watkins, or Wright / Taylor Who Club exercised option, which for me is a sign that their future’s will be discussed in the summer.

9 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

£10m for all 3.  Problem is, who has a spare £10m plus a sizable wages bill?

Would represent good value if you ask me, if as Dave says above we can offset the spend by letting some others go. Da Silva and Kalas must be considered two of the best players in their position in this league and Palmer - jury still out but some promising signs.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, The King of Spain said:

Would represent good value if you ask me, if as Dave says above we can offset the spend by letting some others go. Da Silva and Kalas must be considered two of the best players in their position in this league and Palmer - jury still out but some promising signs.

Kalas has to be our number one target this summer and also keeping Webster. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, daored said:

Kalas has to be our number one target this summer and also keeping Webster. 

Absolutely, if we can keep them together and sign some more attack minded / creative players we could be in for an exciting season! 

• Like 1

Don’t know if there is anything in it but when the final whistle went today all the players were at the other end of the pitch from the city fans. Kalas was the first to come the length of the pitch to appauld the support with both thumbs up as well. Seems he’s happy here and I for one would make him top priority to sign end of season. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Clints observation. He is happy JdS will always get the LB position ahead of Kelly. Time will tell with KP but we could be letting him too. The biggest interest in all Chelksi players will be Tammy. Without him Villa would be bottom 8 and like Stoke proving the notion of a 'big club' has little relevance these days in the Championship

27 minutes ago, Clint said:

Don’t know if there is anything in it but when the final whistle went today all the players were at the other end of the pitch from the city fans. Kalas was the first to come the length of the pitch to appauld the support with both thumbs up as well. Seems he’s happy here and I for one would make him top priority to sign end of season. 

He was doing that after the QPR game, he came down E33 side of the Dolman applauding the fans there before going to section 82. 

He’s the one I really want us to sign. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

So nobody went? 

Under 10 people by the looks of it.

Strategic Q & A, near guaranteeing a weak show/easy ride?

Edited by Captain Hindsight
  • Like 1
  • Aubergine 2

29 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Yet the ones in pubs arranged by the SC&T  were much better attended ;) 

http://bristolcitysupporters.org/qa-crewe-said/

Couldn't agree more!  The SC&T events were well attended and well publicised...and publicised  in time to arrange travel around arriving early enough for them...which I didn't yesterday but would have if I'd known it was happening before booking train tickets. With 800 or so City fans in town on a miserable afternoon this was a great opportunity wasted by the sounds of it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Couldn't agree more!  The SC&T events were well attended and well publicised...and publicised  in time to arrange travel around arriving early enough for them...which I didn't yesterday but would have if I'd known it was happening before booking train tickets. With 800 or so City fans in town on a miserable afternoon this was a great opportunity wasted by the sounds of it.

It was a shame that the CATS coaches were still in the services ( only 20 minutes away) when this was happening. Yes I know it wasn’t for us who live in Bristol, or down south as such,  but perhaps if it could have been scheduled a little later and the people who travelled up on the official coaches might have at least had the option to attend. I don’t think it was lack of interest, more physically not able to get there, and to be honest I didn’t realise it was happening until a short while before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Clint said:

I'm sure he would have done the same at all the other clubs he went to on loan. I don't think we will get him. Kelly will be given a chance in the middle next season and I expect we will sign Dasilva, having agreed a deal with Chelsea.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I'm sure he would have done the same at all the other clubs he went to on loan. I don't think we will get him. Kelly will be given a chance in the middle next season and I expect we will sign Dasilva, having agreed a deal with Chelsea.

@JonDolman your post are always well constructed and thought out.

Youve constantly said you don’t think we’ll sign Kalas, why ? Do you think we can’t afford him in terms of wages etc or that you think he we have better offers ?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, daored said:

@JonDolman your post are always well constructed and thought out.

Youve constantly said you don’t think we’ll sign Kalas, why ? Do you think we can’t afford him in terms of wages etc or that you think he we have better offers ?

I think it is possible to sign him but it would take up a huge part of our budget. Plus even if we tried our very best to sign him then I am not sure we'd beat other sides. LJ might want to use our budget in other positions and create a pathway for Vyner and Moore who are highly rated by the club. Also with Kelly being so highly rated and clearly seen as a centre half by LJ, it would be surprising for us to easily break our transfer record and wage structure to bring in a centre back when we have so many in that position, one of which is so highly rated he trained with the England seniors. 

When Ashton has been asked about Kalas and whether we will try and sign him in the summer, he has not really sounded too optimistic about that happening. Just adding everything up I just think its unlikely. However i'll be more than happy to be wrong. But my opinion is, and I believe Johnson's opinion will be that Kalas is not the be all and end all. It's not like we can't go on and be as good, or even better without Kalas next season.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think it is possible to sign him but it would take up a huge part of our budget. Plus even if we tried our very best to sign him then I am not sure we'd beat other sides. LJ might want to use our budget in other positions and create a pathway for Vyner and Moore who are highly rated by the club. Also with Kelly being so highly rated and clearly seen as a centre half by LJ, it would be surprising for us to easily break our transfer record and wage structure to bring in a centre back when we have so many in that position, one of which is so highly rated he trained with the England seniors. 

When Ashton has been asked about Kalas and whether we will try and sign him in the summer, he has not really sounded too optimistic about that happening. Just adding everything up I just think its unlikely. However i'll be more than happy to be wrong. But my opinion is, and I believe Johnson's opinion will be that Kalas is not the be all and end all. It's not like we can't go on and be as good, or even better without Kalas next season.

I wonder given that we seemingly have a better squad now that we will look to bring in less players each window and therefore spend more on each player, could make a transfer like Kalas more feasible. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Potential exits of:

• Baker - pure speculation from me...could see him going back to Villa
  • O’Dowda - if he doesn’t sign a new deal
  • Kelly - if it were to be used to finance 3 players

Exactly how I think.
I like O'Dowda , but the longer it goes without him signing , the less chance I think he will. Potentially 4/5m and add ons?
Baker will want first team football and I think it will be a case of him or Kalas. Has to be worth what we paid for him.
Kelly , tough one. Seems to have gone backwards as a FB lately. Highly unlikely he will get in at CB , so depending on offers I'd be tempted to cash in.

Looking at that list, and allowing for no one else leaving , that would give us around £12m , and although I don't believe the recent rumours , it would cover the supposed £10m for 3 very good signings. I would concentrate on Kalas and DaSilva , Palmer would be a bonus to a very promising squad.

I did think about trying to get there, but we were taxied to a bar and there was no way we were leaving for a 20 minute walk in the rain to the other side of the ground. Surprised no one on here went. Be interesting to hear was subjects were covered.

35 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Is it just coincidence that every club Kalas has been loaned out to in the Championship has battled for promotion ? 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Exactly how I think.
I like O'Dowda , but the longer it goes without him signing , the less chance I think he will. Potentially 4/5m and add ons?
Baker will want first team football and I think it will be a case of him or Kalas. Has to be worth what we paid for him.
Kelly , tough one. Seems to have gone backwards as a FB lately. Highly unlikely he will get in at CB , so depending on offers I'd be tempted to cash in.

Looking at that list, and allowing for no one else leaving , that would give us around £12m , and although I don't believe the recent rumours , it would cover the supposed £10m for 3 very good signings. I would concentrate on Kalas and DaSilva , Palmer would be a bonus to a very promising squad.

I did think about trying to get there, but we were taxied to a bar and there was no way we were leaving for a 20 minute walk in the rain to the other side of the ground. Surprised no one on here went. Be interesting to hear was subjects were covered.

I think we might struggle to get back what we paid for Baker....initially £3.5-4.0m, although this was lowered because we re-negotiated payment terms.  Might get £2.0-2.5m.

33 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Is it just coincidence that every club Kalas has been loaned out to in the Championship has battled for promotion ? 

Spot on Major.

Kalas wants to stay, likes both the club set up and Bristol itself.

However any of the clubs who don’t get promoted this season, plus all three that get relegated from the Prem at the end of the season would be mad not to try and sign him after the season he is having.

He would have signed for Boro but they wanted to play him at full back, he prefers the CB role, and if there is a better player in that position in the Championship I’ve yet to see him.

He has to be our number one target whichever league we are in next season.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we might struggle to get back what we paid for Baker....initially £3.5-4.0m, although this was lowered because we re-negotiated payment terms.  Might get £2.0-2.5m.

All guess work and opinions at the moment , but I think if someone was in for him £3m+ for a pretty solid Championship defender is reasonable . Circumstances dictate fees though , so if we want to get rid you are going to be closer. If someone comes in for him maybe the higher number might be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Not sure. I'd expect Boro to always be in the mix at this level. Fulham he was mainly on the bench when they went on that amazing run at the end of the season. This season he is doing a great job for us with Webster. I just think it is possible to go up without using all our budget on him. Just looking at it how I imagine LJ and Ashton might be.

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Not sure. I'd expect Boro to always be in the mix at this level. Fulham he was mainly on the bench when they went on that amazing run at the end of the season. This season he is doing a great job for us with Webster. I just think it is possible to go up without using all our budget on him. Just looking at it how I imagine LJ and Ashton might be.

I wonder if any of them made moves to buy him? If so were  they told by Chelsea that he wasn’t for sale, was he too expensive or didn’t fancy the move himself? Wonder if anything has changed?

Fingers crossed he will now want to settle. How much longer can he go out on loan every season and be no near the Chelsea team. I’m sure he will have many interested. Personally I just don’t fancy ripping up the central defence again now we have something that works. Baker too injury prone and Kelly not ready to be Webster’s partner next season I don’t think.

1 minute ago, RedM said:

I wonder if any of them made moves to buy him? If so were  they told by Chelsea that he wasn’t for sale, was he too expensive or didn’t fancy the move himself? Wonder if anything has changed?

Fingers crossed he will now want to settle. How much longer can he go out on loan every season and be no near the Chelsea team. I’m sure he will have many interested. Personally I just don’t fancy ripping up the central defence again now we have something that works. Baker too injury prone and Kelly not ready to be Webster’s partner next season I don’t think.

Chelsea wanted 10 million for him in the summer according to rumours. Would that price have risen slightly after a good season for us I wonder. 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Chelsea wanted 10 million for him in the summer according to rumours. Would that price have risen slightly after a good season for us I wonder. 

He’s pretty much had a full playing season with us, not patchy or substitute appearances, and he’s been playing well. If you compare the rumoured £10m,which is bound to have increased due to the factors I’ve mentioned, with what we got for Flint, then even if it was a couple of million more Kalas is much the better deal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

He’s pretty much had a full playing season with us, not patchy or substitute appearances, and he’s been playing well. If you compare the rumoured £10m,which is bound to have increased due to the factors I’ve mentioned, with what we got for Flint, then even if it was a couple of million more Kalas is much the better deal. 

Let's say it does cost us 12 million to sign him, then would he add value on top of that huge fee we would have paid? I'm not so sure. He'd have to go on and be a good quality prem player in a couple of years when he'd be 27-28 to get more than 12 for him. Not even sure his value would increase much as he approaches late 20s. I think he falls into the clubs expecting immediate promotion having been relegated signing category. Don't mean to be a killjoy, but just don't think he fits into who we buy. Johnson laughed when asked about signing Tammy back in the summer. Saying we are simply not in that market, we can't compete. I believe the same will apply with Kalas.

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Let's say it does cost us 12 million to sign him, then would he add value on top of that huge fee we would have paid? I'm not so sure. He'd have to go on and be a good quality prem player in a couple of years when he'd be 27-28 to get more than 12 for him. Not even sure his value would increase much as he approaches late 20s. I think he falls into the clubs expecting immediate promotion having been relegated signing category. Don't mean to be a killjoy, but just don't think he fits into who we buy. Johnson laughed when asked about signing Tammy back in the summer. Saying we are simply not in that market, we can't compete. I believe the same will apply with Kalas.

While the general outlook of the club is to increase value of players there may come a point where a player is worth it if he stays with us for a long time as is of top level for the division. If Kalas stayed with us for 6 seasons or so as a first team player then could be argued the fee isn't ridiculous as we wouldn't need to fork out for another cb in that time. If anyone came calling within a few divisions for him the we'd be able to hold out for what we paid. Imagine if it were £12m though then a chunk of that would be tied up in clauses which we may never end up paying anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Anyone who thinks we will spend £10m on Kalas is going to be disappointed in a few months time

While I don't think we will sign Kalas, if we're happy with the level of our squad is it out of realm of possibility that we sign Kalas for £10m (clauses included) rather then spend £10m on a few transfers? I think we'd get a striker in as well but we've spent £10m to £20m in a window a reasonable amount of times now. If we've got the general level of squad then we're missing the star quality to make the difference, Kalas could be classed as one of those.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

True, though LJ said the issue with Tammy was that he is on £50k a week. Kalas is on far less by all accounts.

If we want him badly enough I suspect we would meet the fee, which I doubt will be £10m. I'm not convinced we want him that badly though, for the reasons you gave in your earlier post.

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

True, though LJ said the issue with Tammy was that he is on £50k a week. Kalas is on far less by all accounts.

If we want him badly enough I suspect we would meet the fee, which I doubt will be £10m. I'm not convinced we want him that badly though, for the reasons you gave in your earlier post.

Chelsea wanted £10m in the summer. Would be surprised if they wanted less now.

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Chelsea wanted £10m in the summer. Would be surprised if they wanted less now.

Aren’t new rules coming in to stop clubs like Chelsea “stock piling” players, to the extent that they do..? This may reduce their asking price, if they need to clear some out..?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Aren’t new rules coming in to stop clubs like Chelsea “stock piling” players, to the extent that they do..? This may reduce their asking price, if they need to clear some out..?

I would assume if new rules come in then it will be for future business rather than past. 

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I would assume if new rules come in then it will be for future business rather than past. 

Think its a restriction on players over 21 you can loan out, so someone like Kalas would either need to be part of the first team squad or 1 of x amount of players they can loan, which tbf he might be as I would imagine his loan fee is quite large comparatively.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hodge said:

Think its a restriction on players over 21 you can loan out, so someone like Kalas would either need to be part of the first team squad or 1 of x amount of players they can loan, which tbf he might be as I would imagine his loan fee is quite large comparatively.

I would guess we have paid circa £2m to have him this season. Clever business from Chelsea but right that they are stopped

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I would guess we have paid circa £2m to have him this season. Clever business from Chelsea but right that they are stopped

So paying £10million for him on a 4 year deal would be good business. 

19 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

That's one reason I doubt it will be £10m, the other being a looming transfer ban.

I think they will want a clear out to avoid being stuck with players they don't want.

I assume they will appeal so they will have at least one window to move players out, and indeed in.