IGNORED

Fernando Ricksen

Silvio Dante

If for two minutes tonight you’re disappointed with the result against Preston.

If for two minutes tonight you’re feeling like slating one of our players, or PNE players

But, most importantly, if for two minutes you feel like it’s not worth it then read this and realise it is.

You’d probably remember him from Rangers and Holland in the early part of this century. But, hell, I never knew this. And it shows how fragile any of us are

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/01/fernando-ricksen-rangers-netherlands-motor-neurone-disease?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

If for two minutes tonight you’re feeling like slating one of our players, or PNE players

But, most importantly, if for two minutes you feel like it’s not worth it then read this and realise it is.

You’d probably remember him from Rangers and Holland in the early part of this century. But, hell, I never knew this. And it shows how fragile any of us are

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/01/fernando-ricksen-rangers-netherlands-motor-neurone-disease?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Exactly  no one knows what it is front of them, life can be cruel! 

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

My mother in law died from this 6 years ago. 

The worst thing ive ever witnessed from an illness. So debilitating and initially very hard to diagnose too.

doctors at hospitals have very limited knowledge of it either, which makes their treatment and understanding painfull for the families.

Granted, cancer is a huge killer, but MND is rapidly increasing and no cures as yet to offer any hope. So much charity work is aimed at cancer but this needs backing to aid research. 

Horrible. 

Very sad.

I know the article says he lived a flamboyant lifestyle and didn't make provision from money he earned whilst playing, but with 42,000 attending a benefit match for him in 2015 you'd have hoped his family would be left in a better position financially.  

Hard enough for the lad to go through this without the additional worry of how his family will cope after he's gone. 

An excellent read. On a similar point, saw that Stephen Darby of Bolton retired a few months ago after the same diagnosis - totally slipped off my radar that news. Desperately sorry for both of them. What a horrible illness to cut people down at such a young age. 

Heartbreaking Story and lets us realise that for all the moans and groans we have when we win lose or draw, the real story is about the Fernando's in life who we don,t hear about until articles like this spring up. There is so much money floating around in football that I am sure a small % could be siphoned off into a fund for people like Fernando who make the game what it is....for all of us. Yes he earned it. Yes he spent it, but at this moment in his cut short life, help from the game he loved should be there to give him and his family dignity.

Archived