IGNORED

Rule Change For Next Season

RedRobin91

Finally a change which will stop a bit of time wasting at subsitutions!!

Changes approved by IFAB - substitutes will have to leave the pitch at the nearest goal line or touchline instead of walking to their technical area in a bid to stop time-wasting.

Nothing worse than the customary slow run off the pitch when the away side is 1-0 up!!

Also small change to handball rule 

a goal scored directly from the hand/arm (even if accidental) and a player scoring or creating a goal-scoring opportunity after having gained possession/control of the ball from their hand/arm (even if accidental) will no longer be allowed.

Probably right overall. Still will be some debate. Take the Wolves goal v us. It has certainly brushed the hand of the player who set the goal up, under the current rules very obviously a fair goal. Did he gain possession or control it with the hand? Would still be down to interpretation. Under this new rule, the Lino if he has seen it would have to let play go on as it is not deliberate, and then flag if a chance is set up? 

1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

Wish they would scrap the ball has to leave the 18 yard box before player can touch it at goalkicks, slows the game down and i cant see why it exsists ..

Yes, that pivotal rule, which causes endless controversy and costs people their jobs, needs to be stamped out. Immediately..! 

I also think that, in wider society, they should introduce the death penalty for people who exceed 5 minutes over their allotted time on a parking metre. 

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Probably right overall. Still will be some debate. Take the Wolves goal v us. It has certainly brushed the hand of the player who set the goal up, under the current rules very obviously a fair goal. Did he gain possession or control it with the hand? Would still be down to interpretation. Under this new rule, the Lino if he has seen it would have to let play go on as it is not deliberate, and then flag if a chance is set up? 

Think any decision (in the main) that allows it to be black n white is a good thing.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

The thing that you can't snuff out is the fake injury when a team is leading and wants to disrupt the momentum of the opposition. It's so annoying and really effective. 

Exactly what Bimringham did on Tuesday. Coincidence that they got 2 injuries within 3 minutes of our goal...? I think not. 

Totally killed our momentum. Excellent 'Game Management' but irritating and borderline poor gamesmanship. 

4 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Exactly what Bimringham did on Tuesday. Coincidence that they got 2 injuries within 3 minutes of our goal...? I think not. 

Totally killed our momentum. Excellent 'Game Management' but irritating and borderline poor gamesmanship. 

Someone said in the matchday thread yesterday that they noticed that Preston seemed to get far less injuries after we equalised than they did when they were one up.

The current interpretation of the handball is farcical - all this talk of arms in unnatural positions. Who on earth would wave their hand about deliberately in the area now and risk conceding a pen?

i can only assume the powers that be think more pens = more excitement, but to me it's artificially created excitement (a bit like the Premier League thinking about it.....)

10 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

We can't pretend like we are innocent of this, we do use it as well. 

It is annoying, the way I think it could be dealt with it is to play on and allow physios onto the pitch while the game is in play, the player becomes inactive while being seen by the physio and has to go off, if the ball accidently hits the player or physio then play is stopped for a drop ball. I think we would actually find there are about 1/2 as many "injuries" so less requirement for physios to come on.

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, that pivotal rule, which causes endless controversy and costs people their jobs, needs to be stamped out. Immediately..! 

I also think that, in wider society, they should introduce the death penalty for people who exceed 5 minutes over their allotted time on a parking metre. 

Mentioning parking to bengalclub is a cheap shot.

50 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

We do this too but if the rules were all injuries are treated off field then you wouldnt see these things occur. 

Unfortunately teams use the rules to break up play. 

If players knew theyd have to walk off you wouldnt see them go down anymore. Obviously the serious looking injuries can stay on pitch but how many ‘injuries’ do you see the player miraculously recover and walk off the pitch?! You cant tell me the magic sponge is that magic!

dont even get me started with the goal kick taking from either side of the6 yard box!! Lee Camp carried out time wasting expertly on tuesday by taking every kick from the opposite side to where the ball left the field. And to think that rule was designed to SPEED UP play!!

where blokes in suits make the rules, teams using rules to break up play and time waste will continue. 

2 hours ago, mozo said:

The thing that you can't snuff out is the fake injury when a team is leading and wants to disrupt the momentum of the opposition. It's so annoying and really effective. 

Simple, do as rugby do. Play on around injury and let the physio deal with it. See how many stay down then 

42 minutes ago, Pezo said:

We can't pretend like we are innocent of this, we do use it as well. 

It is annoying, the way I think it could be dealt with it is to play on and allow physios onto the pitch while the game is in play, the player becomes inactive while being seen by the physio and has to go off, if the ball accidently hits the player or physio then play is stopped for a drop ball. I think we would actually find there are about 1/2 as many "injuries" so less requirement for physios to come on.

We don't use it especially well, as in when the opponents have got some momentum going. Norwich was a case in point: early second half when we had a head of steam their no 6 went down for a lengthy break and we lost momentum completely. They had a similar period of sustained pressure leading up to their goals and we didn't once go down.

The problem with playing on is that players go down clutching their head, and that really leaves the ref in an invidious position. 

2 hours ago, mozo said:

When they eventually get up and off the pitch, make them wait as long to get back on as they were receiving treatment on the pitch. That at least might make them hurry up, or get off the pitch where they genuinely can.

Having said that, I'm not a great fan of the rule about leaving the pitch anyway. When the injury is a genuine one, it often disadvantages the team who've been fouled. And when it's a fake one, the long, slow, trudge to get off the pitch only adds to the time wasted.

I'm afraid that whatever you do it all comes down to intent again, and that's so difficult for referees. If players (and managers, thinking of Colin and Rotherham in particular) were more honest that would solve it, and refs wouldn't be put in that impossible position. But apart from allowing refs to apply rules differently depending on how they perceive intent, anything you do to try to penalise feigned injuries will have the effect of disadvantaging teams when they have a genuine injury. 

10 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Wish they would scrap the ball has to leave the 18 yard box before player can touch it at goalkicks, slows the game down and i cant see why it exsists ..

Looks like your prayers have been answered bengalcub! 

"Following experiments in different parts of the world, the AGM also approved changes to the Laws of the Game related to a player being substituted having to leave the field of play at the nearest boundary line, yellow and red cards for misconduct by team officials and the ball not having to leave the penalty area at goal kicks and defending team free-kicks in the penalty area," IFAB said.

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I take it thats ypur attempt at humour ?

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

We don't use it especially well, as in when the opponents have got some momentum going. Norwich was a case in point: early second half when we had a head of steam their no 6 went down for a lengthy break and we lost momentum completely. They had a similar period of sustained pressure leading up to their goals and we didn't once go down.

The problem with playing on is that players go down clutching their head, and that really leaves the ref in an invidious position. 

The ref can still stop play if they want but the ref can also play on and the players can receive treatment. 

11 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Looks like your prayers have been answered bengalcub! 

"Following experiments in different parts of the world, the AGM also approved changes to the Laws of the Game related to a player being substituted having to leave the field of play at the nearest boundary line, yellow and red cards for misconduct by team officials and the ball not having to leave the penalty area at goal kicks and defending team free-kicks in the penalty area," IFAB said.

I think the biggest single thing that can be done to avoid timewasting, is to take the responsibility of time keeping away from the referee and have someone else start & stop the watch to allow adequate extra time for stoppages. 

It wouldn’t stop teams disrupting momentum, but it would negate the purpose of blatant time wasting. 

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

The ref can still stop play if they want but the ref can also play on and the players can receive treatment. 

They can, in theory, but no ref is going to risk the consequences of it turning out to have been something serious. Getting the intent call on a handball wrong is one thing, the worst that happens is a team loses a game. Getting it wrong with a head injury is a life or death thing. I don't blame any ref in that situation, I blame the player/manager.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

They can, in theory, but no ref is going to risk the consequences of it turning out to have been something serious. Getting the intent call on a handball wrong is one thing, the worst that happens is a team loses a game. Getting it wrong with a head injury is a life or death thing. I don't blame any ref in that situation, I blame the player/manager.

The key is getting treatment to the player ASAP I think, my thinking is that you should be able to get treatment started earlier if you haven't got to wait for a ref to stop play - even if that is only a couple of seconds. The ref still has the ability to stop play but the decision should be about how it will affect the game and not necessarily to do with getting emergency treatment to a player in need because that player will already be getting the treatment. 

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

The key is getting treatment to the player ASAP I think, my thinking is that you should be able to get treatment started earlier if you haven't got to wait for a ref to stop play - even if that is only a couple of seconds. The ref still has the ability to stop play but the decision should be about how it will affect the game and not necessarily to do with getting emergency treatment to a player in need because that player will already be getting the treatment. 

I can see that working depending where it is. But I'm thinking of the Norwich game, where their no 6 went down just about on the penalty spot, and with us attacking (that was the point!). I don't see how you could have someone on giving treatment there. And, of course, if the objective is to stop the game, you can be quite sure that's where the player would go down!

Archived