IGNORED

Rule Change For Next Season

RedRobin91

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I can see that working depending where it is. But I'm thinking of the Norwich game, where their no 6 went down just about on the penalty spot, and with us attacking (that was the point!). I don't see how you could have someone on giving treatment there. And, of course, if the objective is to stop the game, you can be quite sure that's where the player would go down!

I see your point, yes in that scenario then play would almost certainly have to be stopped but its for the ref to decide based on the game scenario rather than the type of injury. The situation I see most often is when play stops and a player just sits down - in this scenario a ref could just wave the physio on and start play again. This does penalise a team with genuine injury but I think the piss taking has been going on long enough.

7 hours ago, RedRobin91 said:

Looks like your prayers have been answered bengalcub! 

"Following experiments in different parts of the world, the AGM also approved changes to the Laws of the Game related to a player being substituted having to leave the field of play at the nearest boundary line, yellow and red cards for misconduct by team officials and the ball not having to leave the penalty area at goal kicks and defending team free-kicks in the penalty area," IFAB said.

Bet bs3 feels abit of a wally now ...

7 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Would rather see sin bins (like rugby) and a minimum 5 minute "safety break" for all players who go down injured. Would clear up pretend injuries quite quickly. 

Sin bins are being trialled next season in selected leagues, including some non league local ones.

https://www.the-ra.org/news/ifab-law-changes-2019-2020

Bringing this thread up again because I've been sent the above link with some more Law changes for next year not covered by the media.

There's one in there in particular which I find interesting and we are likely to see played out a few times next season.

Changes

If the referee is about to issue a YC/RC but the non-offending team takes the free kick quickly and creates a goal-scoring opportunity, the referee can delay the YC/RC until the next stoppage if the offending team was not distracted by the referee

Explanation

Occasionally, an attack is stopped by a cautionable (YC) or sending-off (RC) offence and the attacking team takes a quick free kick which restores the ‘lost’ attack; it is clearly ‘unfair’ if this ‘new’ attack is stopped to issue the YC/RC. However, if the referee has distracted the offending team by starting the YC/RC procedure, the quick free kick is not allowed. For a DOGSO offence, the player will be cautioned (YC) and not sent-off (RC) because the attack was re-started (as when advantage is applied for a DOGSO offence). 

17 minutes ago, BCFC101 said:

https://www.the-ra.org/news/ifab-law-changes-2019-2020

Bringing this thread up again because I've been sent the above link with some more Law changes for next year not covered by the media.

There's one in there in particular which I find interesting and we are likely to see played out a few times next season.

Changes

If the referee is about to issue a YC/RC but the non-offending team takes the free kick quickly and creates a goal-scoring opportunity, the referee can delay the YC/RC until the next stoppage if the offending team was not distracted by the referee

Explanation

Occasionally, an attack is stopped by a cautionable (YC) or sending-off (RC) offence and the attacking team takes a quick free kick which restores the ‘lost’ attack; it is clearly ‘unfair’ if this ‘new’ attack is stopped to issue the YC/RC. However, if the referee has distracted the offending team by starting the YC/RC procedure, the quick free kick is not allowed. For a DOGSO offence, the player will be cautioned (YC) and not sent-off (RC) because the attack was re-started (as when advantage is applied for a DOGSO offence). 

I went to a training session recently ran by the Somerset FA for Mangers and coaches regarding rules changes and the pilot for sin bins (non league).

The consensus post session was this is the big one.

Goa Kick - Law 16

Changes
  • The ball is in play once the kick is taken; it can be played before leaving the penalty area
Explanation
The experiment that at a goal kick the ball is in play once it is kicked, and does not have to leave the penalty area, has created a faster and more dynamic/constructive restart to the game. It has reduced the time ‘lost/wasted’ including stopping the tactic of ‘wasting’ time when a defender deliberately plays the ball before it leaves the penalty area knowing that all that will happen is the goal kick will be retaken. Opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the ball is in play

It will create significant opportunities to play out and favour those teams with that ability. It has created an oddity in the game - Instant space. A free kick provides ten metres of space, a goal kick will provide more.. 

On 03/03/2019 at 01:21, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, that pivotal rule, which causes endless controversy and costs people their jobs, needs to be stamped out. Immediately..! 

I also think that, in wider society, they should introduce the death penalty for people who exceed 5 minutes over their allotted time on a parking metre. 

Blimey...that’s one small vehicle if you can get it into a metre of parking....even sideways on (except motorbikes, I suppose)

It will be interesting to see if the ref stalls on issuing a red card to a player as the opponents take a quick free-kick, the attack breaks down and a counterattack is launched from which the player who would've been red carded 30 seconds earlier scores. Then, as the player celebrates the goal he is given a red card as it is the first break in play since the opportunity to send him off was stalled. Would be an odd one for both supporters and players, a celebratory moment and a major downer in the same instance. Possibly, both sets of fans would celebrate at the same time. I can see this happening. It isn't too far fetched.

On 03/03/2019 at 08:02, steveybadger said:

The current interpretation of the handball is farcical - all this talk of arms in unnatural positions. Who on earth would wave their hand about deliberately in the area now and risk conceding a pen?

i can only assume the powers that be think more pens = more excitement, but to me it's artificially created excitement (a bit like the Premier League thinking about it.....)

Completely agree. I think far too many handball decisions are given nowadays. The handball rule exists to stop players deliberately controlling the ball with their hand/arm, which is cheating and is quite rare. ANY attempt to remove the intent element is ridiculous. Of course it makes for a simpler decision if you give handball whenever a ball hits a player’s arm; but it’s also totally against the spirit of the law and why it exists. 

It appears that if a goal is now scored when the ball hits an attacker on the elbow from behind, even if he didn’t see it happen, the goal could now be disallowed.

15 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

It will be interesting to see if the ref stalls on issuing a red card to a player as the opponents take a quick free-kick, the attack breaks down and a counterattack is launched from which the player who would've been red carded 30 seconds earlier scores. Then, as the player celebrates the goal he is given a red card as it is the first break in play since the opportunity to send him off was stalled. Would be an odd one for both supporters and players, a celebratory moment and a major downer in the same instance. Possibly, both sets of fans would celebrate at the same time. I can see this happening. It isn't too far fetched.

It's a good point, but in theory it shouldn't work like that. This is a simplistic scenario but the Law has been designed to work as such: attacking player is through on goal 1 on 1 with the keeper, gets taken out by a defender who has denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity, hence deserving a red card. If the fouled player quickly gets up and plays the free kick, there are 2 possible scenarios; the attacking player that receives the ball is in a situation worse that the original play, therefore ref stops play and sends defending player off, or the player that receives the ball is in the same or better situation than initially, therefore the red card is immediately downgraded to a yellow. If the attacking team fail to score from what the ref deemed to be a similar or even better opportunity and the defending player goes up the other end and scores then it shouldn't matter because the card will have already been downgraded to yellow. (quite wordy but hopes it makes sense)

I was watching A League ( football in Australia not Aussie Rules) recently. They have VAR this season. Yesterday a penalty was given as a player had been running into the box and accidentally tripped by an opposing player. He was running in as I said and his foot flicked back and caught the knee of the defending ( home) player behind him. Total accident.

The player went down, the opposing player held his hands up in surprise. The Ref gave the penalty. The home crowd went mad, no way was it a pen. VAR looked and said it had to be given, apparently only handball has to be reviewed to see if it was intentional or not. Very controversial this was. The pen was taken and scored. 

Another rule they have got though is good. When a player gets injured and receives treatment he doesn’t have to leave the field and be waved on again if the opposing player has been booked for the foul. I think this is a great rule. How many times are teams forced to wait while corners etc are taken with a man down whist the offending player plays on.

I would like to bring in a rule for timewasting when a side in front or happy even drawing are constantly timewasting, that if that team then goes behind they shouldn't get a single minute of the time that they have wasted added on at the end so they can then chase the game.

7 minutes ago, RedM said:

Another rule they have got though is good. When a player gets injured and receives treatment he doesn’t have to leave the field and be waved on again if the opposing player has been booked for the foul. I think this is a great rule. How many times are teams forced to wait while corners etc are taken with a man down whist the offending player plays on.

This Law was introduced last season and is (meant to be) used in the EFL. The fact that you, like myself, haven't noticed it happening in our games means that refs are either not implementing the Law correctly or there just haven't been incidents where this has been the case (and tbf I can't remember any happening recently)

2 hours ago, RedM said:

1 hour ago, BCFC101 said:

This Law was introduced last season and is (meant to be) used in the EFL. The fact that you, like myself, haven't noticed it happening in our games means that refs are either not implementing the Law correctly or there just haven't been incidents where this has been the case (and tbf I can't remember any happening recently)

It was indeed introduced over here at the start of the season.  And it hasn't been used once at the Gate.  I was really pleased to see it introduced and have been specifically looking out for it.  Happened quite a lot at the start of the season in particular and each time the player receiving treatment was ordered off the pitch.  Bloody infuriating.  I get why the original rule was introduced, but it had an obvious flaw that I'd hoped been ironed out.  Apparently not.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

It was indeed introduced over here at the start of the season.  And it hasn't been used once at the Gate.  I was really pleased to see it introduced and have been specifically looking out for it.  Happened quite a lot at the start of the season in particular and each time the player receiving treatment was ordered off the pitch.  Bloody infuriating.  I get why the original rule was introduced, but it had an obvious flaw that I'd hoped been ironed out.  Apparently not.

I didn’t know it was introduced over here. Strange it’s gone so unused and unnoticed .

3 hours ago, BCFC101 said:

It's a good point, but in theory it shouldn't work like that. This is a simplistic scenario but the Law has been designed to work as such: attacking player is through on goal 1 on 1 with the keeper, gets taken out by a defender who has denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity, hence deserving a red card. If the fouled player quickly gets up and plays the free kick, there are 2 possible scenarios; the attacking player that receives the ball is in a situation worse that the original play, therefore ref stops play and sends defending player off, or the player that receives the ball is in the same or better situation than initially, therefore the red card is immediately downgraded to a yellow. If the attacking team fail to score from what the ref deemed to be a similar or even better opportunity and the defending player goes up the other end and scores then it shouldn't matter because the card will have already been downgraded to yellow. (quite wordy but hopes it makes sense)

Good point, but what if the player is getting a red card for having two yellows? Yellows aren't downgraded so it could easily happen that the ref was going to dish out a second yellow but is stalled by a quick free-kick being taken, the attack is repelled and from the ensuing counterattack the player who would've received a second yellow then scores and immediately receives his second yellow and marching orders because it is the first opportunity the ref has had to issue the card.

On 03/03/2019 at 01:21, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, that pivotal rule, which causes endless controversy and costs people their jobs, needs to be stamped out. Immediately..! 

I also think that, in wider society, they should introduce the death penalty for people who exceed 5 minutes over their allotted time on a parking metre. 

Am i right in saying they have indeed changed this rule ? 

Yet again Bar bs3 trolling backfires.

19 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Good point, but what if the player is getting a red card for having two yellows? Yellows aren't downgraded so it could easily happen that the ref was going to dish out a second yellow but is stalled by a quick free-kick being taken, the attack is repelled and from the ensuing counterattack the player who would've received a second yellow then scores and immediately receives his second yellow and marching orders because it is the first opportunity the ref has had to issue the card.

Hmm, good question - I'd have to guess here and say that in that case, the ref wouldn't allow a quick restart and would send the defending player off to ensure he doesn't have a further impact on the match, but I can't be sure of that and I can't find anything that covers something like this

On 02/03/2019 at 23:26, Rudolf Hucker said:

Presumably the handball will only apply to the attacking team otherwise I can see defenders lining up to claim a goalbound shot hit their hand and thus should be disallowed!

Always worked for John Terry!

1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

Am i right in saying they have indeed changed this rule ? 

Yet again Bar bs3 trolling backfires.

I don’t know. Are you right in saying that it’s changed..?

I can’t see for one moment, the benefit of letting players receive the ball from a goal kick, inside the 18 years box. 

Very surprised if they’ve changed this. I really can’t see what benefit it gives anyone. 

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don’t know. Are you right in saying that it’s changed..?

I can’t see for one moment, the benefit of letting players receive the ball from a goal kick, inside the 18 years box. 

Very surprised if they’ve changed this. I really can’t see what benefit it gives anyone. 

Yes they have changed it from next season 

2 minutes ago, BCFC101 said:

Yes they have changed it from next season 

I’d genuinely be interested to hear what the basis of that decision was..! 

Infact it’s hard to think of many situations where a keeper would choose to play the ball to a player inside his own 18 yard box, from a goal kick. I really can’t see it happening very much. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’d genuinely be interested to hear what the basis of that decision was..! 

Infact it’s hard to think of many situations where a keeper would choose to play the ball to a player inside his own 18 yard box, from a goal kick. I really can’t see it happening very much. 

The explanation given by IFAB is:

The experiment that at a goal kick the ball is in play once it is kicked, and does not have to leave the penalty area, has created a faster and more dynamic/constructive restart to the game. It has reduced the time ‘lost/wasted’ including stopping the tactic of ‘wasting’ time when a defender deliberately plays the ball before it leaves the penalty area knowing that all that will happen is the goal kick will be retaken. Opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the ball is in play

I would agree with you that it probably won’t be used all too often, but maybe teams find some way of using this to create some sort of advantage ?‍♂️

1 minute ago, BCFC101 said:

The explanation given by IFAB is:

The experiment that at a goal kick the ball is in play once it is kicked, and does not have to leave the penalty area, has created a faster and more dynamic/constructive restart to the game. It has reduced the time ‘lost/wasted’ including stopping the tactic of ‘wasting’ time when a defender deliberately plays the ball before it leaves the penalty area knowing that all that will happen is the goal kick will be retaken. Opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the ball is in play

I would agree with you that it probably won’t be used all too often, but maybe teams find some way of using this to create some sort of advantage ?‍♂️

Thanks for digging that out. 

In 30 years of watching football, I can’t say I’ve noticed, certainly can’t recall seeing, any player deliberately touching the call in the 18 yard box, from a goal kick, in order to waste time..! 

Archived