Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
RedRobin91

Rule Change For Next Season

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, BCFC101 said:

It's a good point, but in theory it shouldn't work like that. This is a simplistic scenario but the Law has been designed to work as such: attacking player is through on goal 1 on 1 with the keeper, gets taken out by a defender who has denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity, hence deserving a red card. If the fouled player quickly gets up and plays the free kick, there are 2 possible scenarios; the attacking player that receives the ball is in a situation worse that the original play, therefore ref stops play and sends defending player off, or the player that receives the ball is in the same or better situation than initially, therefore the red card is immediately downgraded to a yellow. If the attacking team fail to score from what the ref deemed to be a similar or even better opportunity and the defending player goes up the other end and scores then it shouldn't matter because the card will have already been downgraded to yellow. (quite wordy but hopes it makes sense)

Good point, but what if the player is getting a red card for having two yellows? Yellows aren't downgraded so it could easily happen that the ref was going to dish out a second yellow but is stalled by a quick free-kick being taken, the attack is repelled and from the ensuing counterattack the player who would've received a second yellow then scores and immediately receives his second yellow and marching orders because it is the first opportunity the ref has had to issue the card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/03/2019 at 01:21, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, that pivotal rule, which causes endless controversy and costs people their jobs, needs to be stamped out. Immediately..! 

I also think that, in wider society, they should introduce the death penalty for people who exceed 5 minutes over their allotted time on a parking metre. 

Am i right in saying they have indeed changed this rule ? 

Yet again Bar bs3 trolling backfires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Good point, but what if the player is getting a red card for having two yellows? Yellows aren't downgraded so it could easily happen that the ref was going to dish out a second yellow but is stalled by a quick free-kick being taken, the attack is repelled and from the ensuing counterattack the player who would've received a second yellow then scores and immediately receives his second yellow and marching orders because it is the first opportunity the ref has had to issue the card.

Hmm, good question - I'd have to guess here and say that in that case, the ref wouldn't allow a quick restart and would send the defending player off to ensure he doesn't have a further impact on the match, but I can't be sure of that and I can't find anything that covers something like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2019 at 23:26, Rudolf Hucker said:

Presumably the handball will only apply to the attacking team otherwise I can see defenders lining up to claim a goalbound shot hit their hand and thus should be disallowed!

Always worked for John Terry!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

Am i right in saying they have indeed changed this rule ? 

Yet again Bar bs3 trolling backfires.

I don’t know. Are you right in saying that it’s changed..?

I can’t see for one moment, the benefit of letting players receive the ball from a goal kick, inside the 18 years box. 

Very surprised if they’ve changed this. I really can’t see what benefit it gives anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don’t know. Are you right in saying that it’s changed..?

I can’t see for one moment, the benefit of letting players receive the ball from a goal kick, inside the 18 years box. 

Very surprised if they’ve changed this. I really can’t see what benefit it gives anyone. 

Yes they have changed it from next season 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BCFC101 said:

Yes they have changed it from next season 

I’d genuinely be interested to hear what the basis of that decision was..! 

Infact it’s hard to think of many situations where a keeper would choose to play the ball to a player inside his own 18 yard box, from a goal kick. I really can’t see it happening very much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’d genuinely be interested to hear what the basis of that decision was..! 

Infact it’s hard to think of many situations where a keeper would choose to play the ball to a player inside his own 18 yard box, from a goal kick. I really can’t see it happening very much. 

The explanation given by IFAB is:

The experiment that at a goal kick the ball is in play once it is kicked, and does not have to leave the penalty area, has created a faster and more dynamic/constructive restart to the game. It has reduced the time ‘lost/wasted’ including stopping the tactic of ‘wasting’ time when a defender deliberately plays the ball before it leaves the penalty area knowing that all that will happen is the goal kick will be retaken. Opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the ball is in play
 
I would agree with you that it probably won’t be used all too often, but maybe teams find some way of using this to create some sort of advantage 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BCFC101 said:

The explanation given by IFAB is:

The experiment that at a goal kick the ball is in play once it is kicked, and does not have to leave the penalty area, has created a faster and more dynamic/constructive restart to the game. It has reduced the time ‘lost/wasted’ including stopping the tactic of ‘wasting’ time when a defender deliberately plays the ball before it leaves the penalty area knowing that all that will happen is the goal kick will be retaken. Opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the ball is in play
 
I would agree with you that it probably won’t be used all too often, but maybe teams find some way of using this to create some sort of advantage 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for digging that out. 

In 30 years of watching football, I can’t say I’ve noticed, certainly can’t recall seeing, any player deliberately touching the call in the 18 yard box, from a goal kick, in order to waste time..! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

No problem , bar bs3 apology accepted.

I wasn’t apologising. I didn’t say it wouldn’t happen, I just said I would be surprised and could see the point of it. 

I know the rule infuriated you, which is your prerogative, but you’ve got to admit, the reasoning given is rather bizarre and non existent..! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really i play the game and have always thought it slows the game down , you can counter atttack quickly with the ball put on the line and tapped to an outfield player. You took it upon yourself as you always do to mock me , then ended with egg on your face ,no drama though pal onto the next topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The law at one time stated the ball could not be propelled into the opposing goal using a hand or arm. Thereby any hand ball accidental or otherwise would not result in a goal. I guess that’s coming back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the ball doesn't have to leave the area now, does that mean that the opposing team can now stand 10 yards from the ball in an attempt to block or disrupt the kick?

I understand that if the kick is taken on the 6 yard line this will only be 2 yards inside the area, but that could still put the kicker off.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 42nite said:

If the ball doesn't have to leave the area now, does that mean that the opposing team can now stand 10 yards from the ball in an attempt to block or disrupt the kick?

I understand that if the kick is taken on the 6 yard line this will only be 2 yards inside the area, but that could still put the kicker off.

 

The opposing team must be outside the box.  

 

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’d genuinely be interested to hear what the basis of that decision was..! 

Infact it’s hard to think of many situations where a keeper would choose to play the ball to a player inside his own 18 yard box, from a goal kick. I really can’t see it happening very much. 

It will happen very frequently.

Its an easy way to retain possession by passing to a player who cannot be marked initially. Teams split their centre backs and drop the holding midfield in. Now they can drop the CB's into the box and not be marked creating easier passing angles.  

England ladies did the above v Spain.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The opposing team must be outside the box.  

 

It will happen very frequently.

Its an easy way to retain possession by passing to a player who cannot be marked initially. Teams split their centre backs and drop the holding midfield in. Now they can drop the CB's into the box and not be marked creating easier passing angles.  

England ladies did the above v Spain.  

Will be interesting to see how that’s adopted, if at all. 

Just seems like a nonsense change to me, to a situation that’s never a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Will be interesting to see how that’s adopted, if at all. 

Just seems like a nonsense change to me, to a situation that’s never a problem. 

I agree with your sentiment as I can only recall once and that was in a non league game somebody wasting time by not allowing the ball outside of the box at a goal kick. 

For some teams its a bonus. Splitting centre backs can be marked and pressed at the edge of the 18-yard box for goal kicks. Now they cannot be marked and pressing them will become harder. If your good on the ball it creates easy possession to build from with numerical superiority. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can see the reasoning behind this new rule re handballs, but I’m not a fan, (hypothetically) say last game of the season we’re in the last min of injury time, corner comes in, goal mouth scramble ensues, a defender attempts to smash the ball clear yet it hits a City players arm who’s a yard infront of it and has no chance whatsoever to get out of the way, ball goes in, yet the Ref (probably Scott Duncan) spots it and has to disallow it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

Can see the reasoning behind this new rule re handballs, but I’m not a fan, (hypothetically) say last game of the season we’re in the last min of injury time, corner comes in, goal mouth scramble ensues, a defender attempts to smash the ball clear yet it hits a City players arm who’s a yard infront of it and has no chance whatsoever to get out of the way, ball goes in, yet the Ref (probably Scott Duncan) spots it and has to disallow it? 

Don’t...!!!!! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...