IGNORED

Lucky yesterday.

Desso

56 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

A player is Off side or Active

Nowhere in the rules is the word Onside used

Oh I do so love a wonderful piece of pedantry

Yet the secret of effective writing is to be understandable.  I doubt many on otib would know what active meant in this context, although all would know what onside means.

I rest my case

7 hours ago, Desso said:

I didn't miss the point at all. In my opinion, Fammy was offside and it wasn't given, so lucky! What has happened in the past is irrelevant.

Here we go again....so lucky, well offside, doesn't matter blah blah... like the poster who thought Packs booking was deserved, what the Hell is wrong with our own 'supporters' ? I don't give a flying **** if he was a mile offside or pack is the dirtiest bastard who ever played the game, frankly neither should you.

8 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

You missed the point - over the season we have lost out on other decisions. Levels out so overall not lucky.

7 hours ago, Desso said:

I didn't miss the point at all. In my opinion, Fammy was offside and it wasn't given, so lucky! What has happened in the past is irrelevant.

6 hours ago, Desso said:

Alex, I'm not going to prolong our debate, you can have the last comment......but I think your reasoning is illogical.

Alex-BCFC's reasoning is not illogical. A season may be too short to measure. Luck does even itself out over a period of time. Luck can be measured. It is the decisions and occurrences in football that you/we/the team cannot affect because they are uncontrollable. If its controllable it is not luck. And thus luck over time occurs to teams good or bad in equal measure.

6 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Alex-BCFC's reasoning is not illogical. A season may be too short to measure. Luck does even itself out over a period of time. Luck can be measured. It is the decisions and occurrences in football that you/we/the team cannot affect because they are uncontrollable. If its controllable it is not luck. And thus luck over time occurs to teams good or bad in equal measure.

Exactly. And the harder we work the luckier we get. Stan's treason, as they say in Bristol.

2 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Exactly. And the harder we work the luckier we get. Stan's treason, as they say in Bristol.

Luck is an uncontrollable. Working harder does not affect luck, thus luck affects all teams of any standard in equal measure over a period of time.

45 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Luck is an uncontrollable. Working harder does not affect luck, thus luck affects all teams of any standard in equal measure over a period of time.

This is an exceptional simplistic definition of luck.  Luck is not about the uncontrollable. It's about how you react (i.e. the controllable  reaction in your terms) to the uncontrollable.  Hence, poor teams get bad luck; and good teams get good luck.

For what it's worth, my view is that there is no such thing as luck in football.

14 minutes ago, Chivs said:

This is an exceptional simplistic definition of luck.  Luck is not about the uncontrollable. It's about how you react (i.e. the controllable  reaction in your terms) to the uncontrollable.  Hence, poor teams get bad luck; and good teams get good luck.

For what it's worth, my view is that there is no such thing as luck in football.

Its a definition of luck that is used in coaching circles. If you can affect something it is not luck. That is a behaviour, a habit, a skill a controllable. That is a logical consequence to their habits and skills - Outcomes in coaching babble. The more we train the luckier we get … No that is a controllable.  

Poor teams and goods teams  experience good or bad luck itself in the same measure .

This is luck. 

10 minutes ago, Chivs said:

And Man Utd under Ferguson got more luck than anyone!

15 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Its a definition of luck that is used in coaching circles. If you can affect something it is not luck. That is a behaviour, a habit, a skill a controllable. That is a logical consequence to their habits and skills - Outcomes in coaching babble. The more we train the luckier we get … No that is a controllable.  

Poor teams and goods teams  experience good or bad luck itself in the same measure .

This is luck. 

I must admit I was desperately trying to think of an "uncontrollable" when I first read your post.  I failed! But your video is a good example.

Having said that, I imagine a good coach will tell their players "If you see a foreign object on the field of play that could mess with you or the ball, then get rid of it!"  or "Point the laws of the game out to the referee as quickly as possible".

54 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Offside or not, there were no real complaints from the Preston players. When it’s an obvious offside defenders usually go berserk 

And as we know PNE players don’t miss many chances to have a go at the officials.

30 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I must admit I was desperately trying to think of an "uncontrollable" when I first read your post.  I failed! But your video is a good example.

Having said that, I imagine a good coach will tell their players "If you see a foreign object on the field of play that could mess with you or the ball, then get rid of it!"  or "Point the laws of the game out to the referee as quickly as possible".

Freddie Sears … Is an out there example of an uncontrollable. Referees decisions, their errors should be a an uncontrollable - Teams do not control the officials error, although many try. 

14 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

If I was a Preston supporter I'd be more concerned that there was no one within 5 yards of him (except the keeper) -appalling marking 

If I were a Bristol City fan I would be questioning the thinking of my own players..... generally most goals are scored in the box if you've done you homework on Preston they generally concede from in the box so why would you on many occasions balloon the ball over the bar from 40 yards...just saying

21 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Here we go again....so lucky, well offside, doesn't matter blah blah... like the poster who thought Packs booking was deserved, what the Hell is wrong with our own 'supporters' ? I don't give a flying **** if he was a mile offside or pack is the dirtiest bastard who ever played the game, frankly neither should you.

Temper, temper!

Archived