IGNORED

Lee Johnson’s Replacement?

Negan

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did a really good job at Brentford, mixed at Wigan, poor at basket case Leeds, then good again at Fleetwood.  Now doing an excellent job at Malmo.

Think he’d suit a club like ours.  Has good playing calibre to enthuse players, and experience of other markets that he could exploit.

Interestingly when Glenn Hoddle was manager at Swindon, Chris Kamara, I believe, said he was the best player at the club and that created a lot of problems.

Why go to Fulham when they are 99% certain to be relegated and we have a decent chance of making the play-offs and possible promotion ? 

And, as has been said above SL has backed him throughout - whatever the results.

I think LJ is a decent, honourable man who would not betray that trust - even for a sackful of cash. 

5 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

Why go to Fulham when they are 99% certain to be relegated and we have a decent chance of making the play-offs and possible promotion ? 

And, as has been said above SL has backed him throughout - whatever the results.

I think LJ is a decent, honourable man who would not betray that trust - even for a sackful of cash. 

Think the suggestion is at the end of the season, not now. 

If LJ went I can’t see it being til the end of the season. He’d be moving to a championship club in waiting and leaving City, a club he loves, with best shot in a decade of taking us to the Prem. Plus Fulham have got Parker, a popular guy with a low bar from which to improve. Even if he loses a load of games it won’t be his failing. End of the season - it wouldn’t surprise me LJ went. Would be sad if that did happen. 

If we needed a new Head Coach - 

Monk - not a bad shout though something about I don’t warm to. Could change if he was on our team. Leaving Brum would depend on FFP restriction. 

Jokanovic - would be a coup, not sure he’d work on our budget (and he turned down stoke).

Wagner - again a coup, but unlikely as he’s in line for a bottom half prem job. Unless he wanted to ‘do a Huddersfield’ all over again.

Cowley bros - their relationship with LJ might swing it for SL, who is not beyond a little nepotism. Would also be cheap and work in budget. This more likely than those above.

Moyes - maintain he’d be a good appointment. Wages and working in structure may be a sticking point - he’d want a parachute payment budget to compete. 

A decision I hope SL isn’t making this summer. 

37 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Interestingly when Glenn Hoddle was manager at Swindon, Chris Kamara, I believe, said he was the best player at the club and that created a lot of problems.

Google "glenn hoddle john moncur training Swindon" and watch the video where GH shows a very technical player JM how to shoot off either foot.  I don't think Uwe is in the same class as GH, nor at an age where he'd being getting involved in the 5 a-sides!!!

12 hours ago, hodge said:

Questionable whether Monk would leave Birmingham, their FFP penalty whatever it ends up being could be an influence on that, if they make it through next season fine then they should be okay. However they've shown they clearly have more of a budget for wages etc and probably would even if they scaled back, a move to us would probably only look attractive if things went belly up at Birmingham.

why have Birmingham got a bigger budget for wages? would really like to know what makes you come to that conclusion.

17 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

Well the obvious has not been mentioned.  Jamie McAllister has a lot more to do with the excellent defence strategy than people think and overall playing style.  Did very well with the younger teams and is nailed on I reckon.  And I would not object.

Was said earlier presumably LJ would want Macca and Holden going with him, so unless one of them declined to stay then wouldn't be an option.

21 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Micheal Appleton ?

Put all you can on it IF LJ goes!

In fact when LJ goes, and he will eventually, I think Appleton is nailed on as long as MA is still here.

The only thing that may change that is if LJ is sacked ( not likely )  then Holden and McAllister might get the gig.

20 hours ago, spudski said:

He won't be leaving any time soon imo...regardless of who come in for him.

Unless we are heading towards league 1 and the fans turn on him, then he'll be here for years.

Long term plan with continual sustainability and gradual progress.

Why rock the boat when you are achieving so much in developing a club.

This club has come a very long way in the few years LJ has been with us.

Some managers need to be the right fit for a club....LJ is first and foremost a Coach not a manager.

He won't fit most Clubs bigger and better than us imo.

He needs windows to build teams and to get them to play his way. We've seen how long that takes...and have many mistakes along that journey.

He'd be mad to leave just yet and we'd be mad to let him go imo.

Whilst I agree with the main thrust of your argument there is a scenario where LJ does decide to explore other options.

Getting into the play offs would be a major achievement even if we don’t win them. If I was LJ I would be haranguing the owner for £ in the summer in order to push on, if that support was not forthcoming I might be tempted to investigate any options that were put in front of me.

LJ is nothing if not hugely ambitious - nothing wrong with that - and he may feel that the clubs short term ambitions do not match his.

Ultimately it’s a job and as a young HC he will and should, want to test himself at the highest level possible.

I think there is a big summer coming up for us.

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Whilst I agree with the main thrust of your argument there is a scenario where LJ does decide to explore other options.

Getting into the play offs would be a major achievement even if we don’t win them. If I was LJ I would be haranguing the owner for £ in the summer in order to push on, if that support was not forthcoming I might be tempted to investigate any options that were put in front of me.

LJ is nothing if not hugely ambitious - nothing wrong with that - and he may feel that the clubs short term ambitions do not match his.

Ultimately it’s a job and as a young HC he will and should, want to test himself at the highest level possible.

I think there is a big summer coming up for us.

I get your drift...but I do believe he is backed fully with ££££'s.

However...the club realise what makes us tick...a happy camper with the correct DNA 

Start bringing players in that are on huge wages and it upsets the equalibrium and balance.

Our group of players as a collective work for one another as they are all like minded.

Teams with money can afford to have the talented high wage earners.

Teams like us need to do what we are doing...having talented humble hungry players.

Get in journeyman pros, talented Billy big bollox types and mix with lesser types and it creates all sorts of problems as we have seen in the past.

I think we are doing the right thing for a club like us.

As for LJs ambitions...he isn't a coach that can fix teams quickly. He needs time and enjoys working with players and ingraining his methodology.

My gut tells me he'll try working abroad...he has alluded to this as well.

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

However...the club realise what makes us tick...a happy camper with the correct DNA 

Start bringing players in that are on huge wages and it upsets the equalibrium and balance.

Our group of players as a collective work for one another as they are all like minded.

Teams like us need to do what we are doing...having talented humble hungry players.

Get in journeyman pros, talented Billy big bollox types and mix with lesser types and it creates all sorts of problems as we have seen in the past.

As for LJs ambitions...he isn't a coach that can fix teams quickly. He needs time and enjoys working with players and ingraining his methodology.

Goalscorers earn  and always have  earned more money so I can’t see that being a problem for the squad.

Particularly if their goals propel the club to promotion or  cup glory which means more added value to the other players . 

The problems can stem from a Tomlin type situation where there aren’t any pies left .

It’s a tough call. How many managers expect, or even want, the potential of a 5/10 year project..? 

Of course no manager wants to be sacked, but the nature of the beast means that you can’t really go into any football mangers job, safe in the knowledge of having time to implement your stamp on a club. It’s very, VERY rare to get that opportunity these days. 

I should suspect that LJ’s replacement is already identified, if not already working within the club.

Jamie Mac &DeanHolden being the obvious likely people earmarked. 

Its aninteresting question, about how deeply the loyalty lies between SL & LJ. There is undoubtedly a level of respect and belief that’s very rare in football. But when push comes to shove, both must know that we are only an awful half season or a fantastic season away from those ties being tested to the limit. 

In either scenario, you couldn’t blame either party for instigating the parting of ways, but you do wonder what it would take (on either side) to walk away from “the plan”..

Will failure to get promoted be the tipping point for LJ, or will it make him even more determined..? 

Will promotion signal “job done”..? 

Maybe LJ will just wait until he’s won the Premier league with us and then leave on a high, to have a crack at the Real Madrid job...?! ?

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

I have a feeling that LJ also realises what makes us tick ?

His experience with  players like Tomlin and Kent, as compared to players like Tammy, Dasilva and Kalas, reinforce the clubs "right DNA" policy and I'm sure LJhas been quoted as saying that while there were strikers available in January they were the wrong fit for the club.

I am pretty certain that SL will back LJ in the transfer market ( I also think he would have done, had the right striker been available in January) but that both of them are agreed on bringing in the right type of player. 

With hindsight, LJ's first 2 full seasons here were a learning curve, and mistakes were made, but he seems to have been learning from those mistakes and during that time the squad has been evolving and getting better and stronger. WE are in with a shout of being in the promotion mix at the end of the season, but if we are not, then I have little doubt the squad will be further strengthened during the summer and the players and management team will be stronger and even better equipped for a promotion push next season. Would LJ not want to be part of that after the trials and tribulations he's been though to get t this point?

Having said that, LJ is human and we all know that it would probably be very hard for him to ignore an offer from a decent premier league team. However,  would he be prepared to give up seeing the culmination of all he's worked towards here for Fulham, only to see another manager /coach reap the benefits at Ashton Gate, while he struggles to make a relegated team competitive, having been stripped of it's good players and being left with players with completely the wrong DNA to compete in the championship?

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

WE are in with a shout of being in the promotion mix at the end of the season, but if we are not, then I have little doubt the squad will be further strengthened during the summer and the players and management team will be stronger and even better equipped for a promotion push next season. Would LJ not want to be part of that after the trials and tribulations he's been though to get t this point?

Having said that, LJ is human and we all know that it would probably be very hard for him to ignore an offer from a decent premier league team. However,  would he be prepared to give up seeing the culmination of all he's worked towards here for Fulham, only to see another manager /coach reap the benefits at Ashton Gate, while he struggles to make a relegated team competitive, having been stripped of it's good players and being left with players with completely the wrong DNA to compete in the championship?

Good and well thought out post D. Spot on.......

What many fans don’t appreciate is that LJ sees City as his club and to him he has the dream job.

He’s utterly dedicated to the long term strategy designed by SL and since being in post has built a squad very capable of reaching the PL and I can’t imagine that he’d even consider leaving under his own free will.  If he ever got sacked he’d be devastated and on the phone to the Samaritans.....

Personally I think this thread is ridiculous.

On a very simple level - why would LJ even consider moving to relegation bound Fulham? Plus Scot Parker will get that job...

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

On a very simple level - why would LJ even consider moving to relegation bound Fulham?

Bigger salary. Bigger transfer budget

The loyalty from LJ you describe is very admirable but doesnt exist in the modern game. Johnson is highly ambitious and if we don’t match his ambition he will go elsewhere.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

And key point is his ambitions.

There will always be some new young coach coming along that might attract the attention of a 'bigger' club that are in the market for a HC / Manager which is something that you have to keep in mind if you wish to progress.

I am sure LJ would love to get to the PL with us, I have no doubt about that at all, I just don't feel he will wait for ever.

The owner has stated that he wants to see progress season upon season, what happens if we make the top 6 this season but fail to win the play-offs - progress most certainly. But what happens if we have the play - off 'hangover' next season and LJ has not been backed in the way he desired?

I think we could have a challenge in holding on to him then OR if we don't look like we are going to take the next step by this time next year the owner may act.

Either way it could be an interesting summer, LJ has, as we have all seen many times, a massive belief in his own abilities and it would not be a surprise if he was tempted by a Fulham or similar, in certain circumstances.

I think LJ has a good deal of job security here, certainly more than most managers in professional football, but would that be enough to keep him here if progress was not being made or, more importantly, what he felt was required, was not being provided?

I don't see him being happy in 2/3 years time being in the same situation as we are in now. Whether he is right to feel that way is another matter, my view however is that if we have not had a season in the PL by then he may well leave.

On the working abroad thing, yes, I could certainly see that happening.

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Good and well thought out post D. Spot on.......

What many fans don’t appreciate is that LJ sees City as his club and to him he has the dream job.

He’s utterly dedicated to the long term strategy designed by SL and since being in post has built a squad very capable of reaching the PL and I can’t imagine that he’d even consider leaving under his own free will.  If he ever got sacked he’d be devastated and on the phone to the Samaritans.....

Personally I think this thread is ridiculous.

On a very simple level - why would LJ even consider moving to relegation bound Fulham? Plus Scot Parker will get that job...

The circumstances that could lead to him being sacked might mean that LJ would have to wait in the queue for the Samaritans behind a load of City fans!

2 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

He will not go to Fulham for 8 games in the Premiership. Be a daft choice for them anyway and career ending for him. I have reservations about his ability , but I do not doubt his intelligence. He will never have another chance to learn and develop his skills in total job safety like he has at City. 

I believe Fulham's potential interest in LJ would be in the summer Billy, not immediately. 

Let's hope it's not a topic we have to revisit eh! 

41 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Bigger salary. Bigger transfer budget

The loyalty from LJ you describe is very admirable but doesnt exist in the modern game. Johnson is highly ambitious and if we don’t match his ambition he will go elsewhere.

I don't think money is a great motivation for him he has business interests outside the club and doesn't need football to earn a living. Can't see relegated Fulham would be a big attraction it would take an offer from an established Prem team or a foreign club to get him interested

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

It’s a tough call. How many managers expect, or even want, the potential of a 5/10 year project..? 

Of course no manager wants to be sacked, but the nature of the beast means that you can’t really go into any football mangers job, safe in the knowledge of having time to implement your stamp on a club. It’s very, VERY rare to get that opportunity these days. 

I should suspect that LJ’s replacement is already identified, if not already working within the club.

Jamie Mac &DeanHolden being the obvious likely people earmarked. 

Its aninteresting question, about how deeply the loyalty lies between SL & LJ. There is undoubtedly a level of respect and belief that’s very rare in football. But when push comes to shove, both must know that we are only an awful half season or a fantastic season away from those ties being tested to the limit. 

In either scenario, you couldn’t blame either party for instigating the parting of ways, but you do wonder what it would take (on either side) to walk away from “the plan”..

Will failure to get promoted be the tipping point for LJ, or will it make him even more determined..? 

Will promotion signal “job done”..? 

Maybe LJ will just wait until he’s won the Premier league with us and then leave on a high, to have a crack at the Real Madrid job...?! ?

Worth noting that Lansdown was a reference for LJ when he was looking for his first managers job.

24 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I don't think money is a great motivation for him he has business interests outside the club and doesn't need football to earn a living. Can't see relegated Fulham would be a big attraction it would take an offer from an established Prem team or a foreign club to get him interested

Tend to agree, were it not for the fact that the Johnson family come from the Fulham area and have affiliations with the club.

If he were tempted to leave - which I doubt - then I suspect that Fulham would be attractive in some ways. Their location is great, they have plans to replace the riverside stand, and when they come down they will have some parachute money.

What weighs against them is their lack of loyalty to Jokanovic and the team that got them up. Instead of spending £100m they could have let the Championship squad have a go and promise SJ the full season, come what may. Instead they wasted a fortune  and got on the celebrity manager merry go round, all to no avail. Not a promising set up for someone like LJ.

Archived