IGNORED

Pitch Width

cidered abroad

Agree totally as one who sees the problems at Bris and City matches.
I fully expect that Lee Johnson could not foresee the problems when he changed (narrowed) the width of City pitch, the first time, to my knowledge since the second war. This was done before Pat Lam arrived and a Football League club cannot alter the dimensions during the season. So the latest change was done by Pat Lam for Bristol. I suspect the Premiership rules are the same as FL - can't change pitch size during season, so stuck with it til May.

It causes problems for players, officials and fans in both codes.
I suggest that Bris supporters bombard Tom Tainton and I'll start a thread on OTIB with a link to City Fan's Liaison Officer.

It is stupid to have two pitch widths causes extra work for ground staff and the confusion listed above.

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Is it any more confusing than the 2 different sports using different “goal” posts and other pitch markings..?

Dont trivialise this.

It is causing problems for all players of both codes and is making us (Bristol Sport, City, Rugby) look idiotic.

I thought the only significant problem was during Friday’s rugby. This was when, towards the end of the game, Gloucester took a lineout from the wrong line, which the touch judge missed.

Whilst the over painting of the lines is far from perfect (recent colour change?) I don’t see it as a major issue.

The difference  between the rugby and football lines is so small, would it make any difference  if they compromised? Make the football pitch very slightly wider  and the rugby pitch very narrower. Then there would only be one touch line 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Dont trivialise this.

It is causing problems for all players of both codes and is making us (Bristol Sport, City, Rugby) look idiotic.

I think I’m right in saying that both Bristol City and Bristol (Bears) Rugby are having their most successful campaigns in the last decade. 

Can we think of other ways to cause such “confusion”..?!

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The difference  between the rugby and football lines is so small, would it make any difference  if they compromised? Make the football pitch very slightly wider  and the rugby pitch very narrower. Then there would only be one touch line 

They could... or they could just pay attention to the the White lines in each respective sport, instead of confusing the white ones, with the green ones..! 

... which I can’t actually recall having seen anyone do anyway. 

We just needs a policy of not signing any colour blind players. Or is that discrimination these days..?! 

12 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

I thought the only significant problem was during Friday’s rugby. This was when, towards the end of the game, Gloucester took a lineout from the wrong line, which the touch judge missed.

Whilst the over painting of the lines is far from perfect (recent colour change?) I don’t see it as a major issue.

The same has occurred in previous rugby games.

There has also been confusion a couple of times at City games.

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Seems a simple solution but it's not a decision that can be made by one person. Johnson and Lam have to agree and the question is will they?

40 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

And there’s me thinking we already had our weird and random thread of the day

michael jackson popcorn GIF

If there is a weird thread equivalent of ffp limits,  then we must be due a substantial points deduction, a big fine and a transfer embargo.

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

They could... or they could just pay attention to the the White lines in each respective sport, instead of confusing the white ones, with the green ones..! 

... which I can’t actually recall having seen anyone do anyway. 

We just needs a policy of not signing any colour blind players. Or is that discrimination these days..?! 

Interesting comment about colour blind players as, joking apart, it must be a problem for some - eg:

“Former Charlton Athletic and Ipswich Town midfielder Matt Holland, who is colour blind, said: “In one particular match when we were in red and the opponents were in dark green I couldn’t tell the colours apart. “

I wish I’d thought about this when I was playing as I could have used it as an excuse for my many misplaced passes

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The same has occurred in previous rugby games.

There has also been confusion a couple of times at City games.

Absolutely.

Referees struggle to see the lines marking the edge of the penalty area when opposition defenders handle the ball.

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Interesting comment about colour blind players as, joking apart, it must be a problem for some - eg:

“Former Charlton Athletic and Ipswich Town midfielder Matt Holland, who is colour blind, said: “In one particular match when we were in red and the opponents were in dark green I couldn’t tell the colours apart. “

I wish I’d thought about this when I was playing as I could have used it as an excuse for my many misplaced passes

It must have been tough for players  to pick out team mates in the days before colour telly.

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Agree totally as one who sees the problems at Bris and City matches.
I fully expect that Lee Johnson could not foresee the problems when he changed (narrowed) the width of City pitch, the first time, to my knowledge since the second war. This was done before Pat Lam arrived and a Football League club cannot alter the dimensions during the season. So the latest change was done by Pat Lam for Bristol. I suspect the Premiership rules are the same as FL - can't change pitch size during season, so stuck with it til May.

It causes problems for players, officials and fans in both codes.
I suggest that Bris supporters bombard Tom Tainton and I'll start a thread on OTIB with a link to City Fan's Liaison Officer.

It is stupid to have two pitch widths causes extra work for ground staff and the confusion listed above.

Absolute rubbish. It's clearly tactical from LJ. If it works ( and it is 6th place so far) let's continue it. You can hardly notice the different pitch markings. And if you can maybe you want to concentrate on the game a bit more.

7 hours ago, miser said:

Apart from the current problems, wasn't the pitch narrowed when the Dolman was built? It was pretty conspicuous as we had a domed pitch and the crest was off centre for a few years. 

I believe it was moved 2.5 meters one year and then another 2.5 meters the following year. It was also leveled out during that time.

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I believe it was moved 2.5 meters one year and then another 2.5 meters the following year. It was also leveled out during that time.

That was the rebuild. I'm talking about the original build early 70s.

20 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Bloody murder at night matches. I sometimes have to rely on hooped socks, lighter sock tops, or lighter shorts to give me a clue as to what is going on. Still get caught out though, and have been known to spit the dummy over an infringement that I'd be better off keeping quiet about. 

Archived