IGNORED

Big City Derbies

INCRED

Having watched the Liverpool Derby yesterday , tonight’s Sheffield  Derby and then Birmingham/Villa on this coming Sunday do we feel a bit shortchanged that it’s been 6 years since we played that lot over the river in a competitive game and 18 years since a league game. There is no atmosphere like it and I for one miss that buzz closely followed by that smugness after handing out another defeat to them just to remind them who’s the top club in the City of Bristol

I can’t see it happening in the near future and at 52, could I conceivably never see us play the Gas again even if I made it to the average death of 82 years old?

imagine that, another 30 years of the gap!!

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

Having watched the Liverpool Derby yesterday , tonight’s Sheffield  Derby and then Birmingham/Villa on this coming Sunday do we feel a bit shortchanged that it’s been 6 years since we played that lot over the river in a competitive game and 18 years since a league game. There is no atmosphere like it and I for one miss that buzz closely followed by that smugness after handing out another defeat to them just to remind them who’s the top club in the City of Bristol

I can’t see it happening in the near future and at 52, could I conceivably never see us play the Gas again even if I made it to the average death of 82 years old?

I'd love to have the derby games on again. Nothing builds excitement like it. I think the last time I felt those levels were the Man U game and Manchester city.... 

Personally I’d prefer it if we never played them again. 

If we won, it would just nail home the point that everyone knows, we’re the biggest club in Bristol. 

If we lost it would be plain embarrassing and we’d never hear the last of it

Agree to not having their orrible mob in our ground again. Leave 'em in the park if we did ever meet again but can't really see them ever getting that far in the cup.

As for going to their place again? Nah! Derby-wishers should really think first about a trip to that hole.Only fit for witnessing their last and failed attempt to avoid returning to NL.

They have far more pressing issues to deal with, before they can worry about bragging rights in Bristol.

Like, can they hold their heads up high the next time they pass though South Gloucestershire, after playing Forest Green. Again..! 

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Like, can they hold their heads up high the next time they pass though South Gloucestershire, after playing Forest Green.

I think the hope and the expectation is that Forest Green will become our nearest local rivals while the Sagtwats sink into obscurity, having been wiped away like an annoying piece of she-ite.

It's drifting into a Swindon Town / Swindon Supermarine model where because the gas fans are ageing and dwindling in number, and the team is on a long term slide there may never be a genuinely competitive derby with a proper atmosphere again.

Maybe it's time to start cultivating a rivalry with FGR if we want to be able to look forward to a proper derby.

not ever living in Bristol and supporting City from the early 2000s it has always been Cardiff for me. I know the Gas is *the* game and the biggest rivalry but in terms of teams we've played over the last 20 years and where each club has been in the league, the only real rivalry we've had is against Cardiff. Which is a right pain as they usually beat us. For context, since I've followed City we've had 3 competitive games against blue few, all in the Football League Trophy - not exactly conducive of a mega rivalry from my perspective. I fully admit, if I lived in Bristol and had to put up with their moronic (albeit hard to find) fanbase I would feel differently ?

I guess it's all about each individual's background/experience as to what makes the biggest rivalry. (therefore any game against Plymuff will always carry an extra bit of niggle for me, as will Southampton).

14 hours ago, INCRED said:

Never want to play them again and would like to see them go under frankly.

I suspect we will survive without them.

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Last time I checked, Cardiff city plays in Cardiff. Rovers “play” in some shit tip in Bristol....

I can’t see us playing them anytime soon. They have almost become irrelevant

True, Cardiff are to us what Liverpool are to Man United. Not as local, but arguably as bitter a rival at times.

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Our games against Cardiff don’t sell out and the atmosphere when we play them is generally very flat. That’s not a proper derby.

Largely because they get moved to 12 on Sunday or some other such atmosphere killing time.

49 minutes ago, mozo said:

True, Cardiff are to us what Liverpool are to Man United. Not as local, but arguably as bitter a rival at times.

Do you mind me asking how old you are ?

We have been starved of bashing the sags and younger supporters have probably never seen us play them. Can understand on that basis why cardiff games are perceived to be derbies 

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Do you mind me asking how old you are ?

We have been starved of bashing the sags and younger supporters have probably never seen us play them. Can understand on that basis why cardiff games are perceived to be derbies 

I went to my first Gas derby in the late eighties, but you're right that we haven't had many opportunities, certainly in the last couple of decades, largely because Rovers have been so shockingly bad.

Playing them now in the league cup would hardly get me going. It would be like playing Mangotsfield!

19 hours ago, INCRED said:

You’ve got more chance of getting A certain birthday card from the queen,than us playing them in a league game again.

Archived