IGNORED

Big City Derbies

INCRED

14 hours ago, devoncider said:

I guess it's all about each individual's background/experience as to what makes the biggest rivalry. (therefore any game against Plymuff will always carry an extra bit of niggle for me, as will Southampton).

Not really. 99.9% of our fanbase will say it’s the gas regardless of whether they were born/lived in Bristol or not, because it is.

Having witnessed the shocking spell of defeats we suffered against the Sags in the 80’s despite being the far better team in the majority of those fixtures I don’t miss the Bristol derby. I can’t stand to hear Goodnight Irene and if they do win against us we never hear the last of it. They go on and on and on about it like we somehow deserve it for being arrogant, even though it’s their fans who have a problem with us. They would love to see us go under as they did back in 1982, so as far as I am concerned they can stay in the tented shithole and rot until they fold. 

On 05/03/2019 at 08:18, devoncider said:

.....the only real rivalry we've had is against Cardiff. Which is a right pain as they usually beat us......

You must be young.....we played them 23 times in the league between 1971 and 2008 without losing to them....I went to Ninian Park five times and saw us win five times....they ain’t a bogey team in my opinion....

32 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You must be young.....we played them 23 times in the league between 1971 and 2008 without losing to them....I went to Ninian Park five times and saw us win five times....they ain’t a bogey team in my opinion....

Do you mean ordinary league season only? We lost 1-0 at Ninian in the first leg play-off in 2003.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

started following in 2001/2002ish. Beat them home and away (2-0 tinnion and Roberts both games I think?) in 02/03 - but as a night match and a young'un I didn't go! That season we lost in the play-offs over two legs to Peter bloody Thorne.

Then we didn't play them for a while until we went up and did beat them 1-0 at the Gate first season but then had those Championship years of regularly getting beaten including that 0-6 in the FA Cup (?).

So I think I've only seen 3/4 wins against them, and having gone to LEGOLAND to watch us lose under SOD and a dull 0-0 under Cotts, I always think we're up against it versus them.

Gutted I'm just that bit too young to have been there for games at Ninian - one in particular sticks out!

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh, league games...as in playing all the other teams in the division twice a season....

It was just a question. Play offs are clearly related to the league season and can arguably be defined as part of it. So I don’t think the sarcasm was really deserved.

23 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It was just a question. Play offs are clearly related to the league season and can arguably be defined as part of it. So I don’t think the sarcasm was really deserved.

I wasn’t actually trying to be sarcastic! I just meant I was referring to normal league games, as part of the normal season....sorry if it came across that way...

31 minutes ago, devoncider said:

started following in 2001/2002ish. Beat them home and away (2-0 tinnion and Roberts both games I think?) in 02/03 - but as a night match and a young'un I didn't go! That season we lost in the play-offs over two legs to Peter bloody Thorne.

Then we didn't play them for a while until we went up and did beat them 1-0 at the Gate first season but then had those Championship years of regularly getting beaten including that 0-6 in the FA Cup (?).

So I think I've only seen 3/4 wins against them, and having gone to LEGOLAND to watch us lose under SOD and a dull 0-0 under Cotts, I always think we're up against it versus them.

Gutted I'm just that bit too young to have been there for games at Ninian - one in particular sticks out!

Blimey so you are a young ‘un....I loved the games at Ninian....the raw atmospheres were something special and we always beat them over there whenever I went...it was brill, but walking out at the end past grinning police officers, who were obviously gonna do nothing to stop their reception committee, wasn’t for the faint hearted....

I think the only reasonable time we'll play Roverzzz again is in a friendly/testimonial.

Louis wanted Roverzzz for his testimonial and the club tried to dissuade him apparently for the obvious reasons. 

Still reckon Scotty is long overdue a testimonial... ;)

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Blimey so you are a young ‘un....I loved the games at Ninian....the raw atmospheres were something special and we always beat them over there whenever I went...it was brill, but walking out at the end past grinning police officers, who were obviously gonna do nothing to stop their reception committee, wasn’t for the faint hearted....

Definitely enjoyed the edge at Ninian Park, sadly lost.....walk to & from the station, beers in the Prince of Wales......then beating them up bigtime on the pitch!  Remember sitting in The Albion pub one Saturday completely under the radar, only Reds in there.  Like an occasion at The Britannia in Plymouth, packed full of Plymouth & Millwall when City rushed the front door & windows....just 6 of us in there!  Edgy.

14 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Definitely enjoyed the edge at Ninian Park, sadly lost.....walk to & from the station, beers in the Prince of Wales......then beating them up bigtime on the pitch!  Remember sitting in The Albion pub one Saturday completely under the radar, only Reds in there.  Like an occasion at The Britannia in Plymouth, packed full of Plymouth & Millwall when City rushed the front door & windows....just 6 of us in there!  Edgy.

guessing you mean the one near Cardiff Central? good boozer that. Cardiff city centre in general got some great pubs

14 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

My local. Probably improved it to be honest.

Archived