IGNORED

Penalty

42nite

If already covered, please delete.

Just heard of the rule change for next season.

If the penalty kick hits the post or rebounds off the keeper, goal kick is given.

That's one way of putting an end to the encroachment farce.

Good move in my opinion.

39 minutes ago, 42nite said:

If the penalty kick hits the post or rebounds off the keeper, goal kick is given.

Good move in my opinion.

It all sounds a bit silly to me, that’s not how it works. 

50 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Good move in my opinion.

What if the ball goes in off the post..?

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

After hitting the keeper first..?

Or, hits the post, bounces out, hits the keeper and goes in! 

Will be the same as today in a penalty shootout. Once the ball stops moving the penalty is over .

• Admin
1 hour ago, 42nite said:

Good move in my opinion.

Is this ACTUALLY happening ?

I have a feeling it was a misquoted story?

The only rule changes I can see for next season:

1. Accidental handball goal won't stand
Goals scored which have hit a player's hand, deliberate or not, will no longer stand.

Gallagher said of the change: "It will be significant as we will no longer see a goal scored hitting the arm.

"80 per cent of the handballs that referees give are not deliberate, but because a player gains a material advantage. Taking the word deliberate out will eradicate that."

Some ambiguity remains and Gallagher added: "We will still have the problem of asking 'has he made himself bigger, has he put his arms in an unnatural position?'

"There will still be the arm close to the body that will hit the arm and the referee will deny a penalty."

2. Substituted players can leave the field anywhere
To stop time-wasting, when a player is taken off they will no longer have to leave the field at the halfway line and can leave the pitch at the nearest point.

3. No attacking players in the wall
This rule prohibits attacking players standing in the wall when a free-kick is being taken, a tactic increasingly employed in recent years.

Attackers will be made to stand at least one metre from the wall, and is aimed at stopping defenders being moved out of the way, such as Alexandre Lacazette's free-kick for Arsenal in their recent game against Bournemouth.

In another change, goalkeepers will only have to have one foot on the line at penalties. The amendment is aimed at allowing keepers to react to takers who stutter their run ups and making it easier for referees to officiate.

Goal kicks and free kicks in the area for defending teams will no longer have to leave the area before they can be played at. Elleray says this is aimed at speeding the game up.

This is an updated and corrected version of this article. The first edition mistakenly referred to a rule in relation to penalties which will not come into effect.

46 minutes ago, phantom said:

Is this ACTUALLY happening ?

I have a feeling it was a misquoted story?

New law changes revealed by IFAB over the weekend concentrate on five rules which could drastically affect key areas of the game.

Deliberate handball? Attackers in a wall for a free-kick? What are the new rules and how significant are they?

Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher explained to Sky Sports News how the new regulations could affect the top leagues from June 1.

1. Accidental handball goal won't stand
Goals scored which have hit a player's hand, deliberate or not, will no longer stand.

Gallagher said of the change: "It will be significant as we will no longer see a goal scored hitting the arm.

"80 per cent of the handballs that referees give are not deliberate, but because a player gains a material advantage. Taking the word deliberate out will eradicate that."

Some ambiguity remains and Gallagher added: "We will still have the problem of asking 'has he made himself bigger, has he put his arms in an unnatural position?'

"There will still be the arm close to the body that will hit the arm and the referee will deny a penalty."

2. No rebounds from penalties
One of the changes Gallagher believes will have a big bearing on how we look at football is play stopping for a restart if a penalty is saved or hits the post.

This means players will no longer line up on the edge of the area or attempt a rebound.

Gallagher said: "We've seen Manchester United's Paul Pogba this year score a penalty from his own rebound and on Saturday the Arsenal penalty was saved and the players chased it down and the ball was still alive.

"Now if it hits the post or the goalkeeper saves and it comes back out to the forward, the game will be stopped, there'll be no second chance."

3. Substituted players can leave the field anywhere
To stop time-wasting, when a player is taken off they will no longer have to leave the field at the halfway line and can leave the pitch at the nearest point.

Gallagher said: "Some of the teams hanging on in the past have made a substitute when they are the furthest player from the technical area. This will no longer apply.

"Whether they decide to go to the nearest point remains to be seen, but it's up to the referee to invoke that."

4. No attacking players in the wall
This rule prohibits attacking players standing in the wall when a free-kick is being taken, a tactic increasingly employed in recent years.

Attackers will be made to stand at least one metre from the wall, and is aimed at stopping defenders being moved out of the way, such as Alexandre Lacazette's free-kick for Arsenal in their recent game against Bournemouth.

5. Coaches will receive cards
Currently, coaches only receive verbal warnings for misconduct, but the change will see them receiving yellows and reds as players do.

It will likely be similar to the EFL law adopted last year, where managers can also receive a one-game suspension.

Nuno Espirito Santo's eccentric touchline celebration for Wolves' 4-3 win against Leicester could be a yellow card from next season.

(c) Sky News 2019: Football rules: How will new IFAB laws affect the game?

I heard it on the news this morning, and just found this.

Looks legit to me????

2 minutes ago, redsince82 said:

That sky sports page that is quoted has since been updated to include...

This is an updated and corrected version of this article. The first edition mistakenly referred to a rule in relation to penalties which will not come into effect.

Ah right,  sorry guys my mistake.  ?

Cross Classic FM News off my list then. 

Probably Classic FM as well!

?

A penalty is just a free kick - the only difference is that the penalty kick is awarded for offences committed inside the penalty area.

The ball is in play once a free kick is taken, and remains in play from then, whether it hits the post or keeper and remains in play until another offence is committed or until the ball goes out of play.

If this is being considered because of concerns about player encroachment then what are the officials there for? Goaline technology can tell them whether the ball has crossed the line, and top flight football will soon have VAR that can dress this as well, so what are the ref and linesman watching for when a penalty is taken?

With VAR coming this sound like the thin end of the wedge as far as interfering with the laws of the game. In the last 10-15 years we have seen the gradual elimination of tackling, and because of referees naivety almost any physical contact is now deemed a foul, if not a bookable offence. VAR will create a different type of game, as I can see referees being almost forced to review almost every decision in and around the penalty area under pressure from clubs and managers once mistaken decisions are highlighted. 

Messing about with penalties will be yet another decision that will change the free flow and ebb and flow of the  game.

This would have been an awful rule change, as it heavily favours the defensive side.

In the Spurs - Arsenal game on the weekend it was a Spurs defender who was about 5 yards in the box as the penalty was taken, which allowed him to clear the follow up for a corner.

Now, under this proposal, to prevent encroachment it will automatically be a goal kick removing any chance of a player for the attacking side getting the rebound, and also denying them the potential set pieceif it was a defending player who got there first.

Archived