IGNORED

Happy Louis Donowa Day

'Orns

2 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

That was Graham Poll;

''There has been much debate over the past couple of weeks about the validity and fairness of the play-offs. Last week I refereed my first play-off match at Ashton Gate, the Second Division semi-final second leg between Bristol City and Hartlepool.

Despite my refereeing experiences around the world, I cannot recall a greater contrast between players than at the final whistle. Bristol City, who had scored two late goals to qualify, were ecstatic, while all connected with Hartlepool were in despair. The noise within the stadium when the two home goals went in was incredible and compared favourably with a full Nou Camp for a Champions League quarter-final''

the above is taken from an interview that Graham Poll did with the daily Telegraph, enough said really

Has anyone every said anything remotely similar about the Mem regarding noise?

No, didn’t think so...

Dopey Darrell was in the Hartlepool team that night. He. probably burst into tears in the dressing room after. In all the time he was at the Sags I doubt he ever experienced noise and an atmosphere like that.

55 minutes ago, Offside said:

A memorable night indeed. I was in the section of the East End right behind the goal - absolute mayhem after the penalty save and more so after Donowa’s winner. It was very satisfying to beat them after a few years when they had kicked and elbowed their way to results against us.  When Andy Leaning saved Hollowhead’s penalty there was just that feeling it was going to be our night.

For what it’s worth, I remember Donowa as a decent enough player and a good crosser. I might be wrong but I can’t recall him being with us for long. 

From my brief glance at wiki earlier I think he played one season for us in this division then joined Birmingham. 

He played for Deportivo De La Coruna at one point!

One of the great nights. 

I was 15 at the time and went absolutely mental when that goal went in. 

That night is in my top 3 City games, might even be the number 1. The fact that that **** Holloway missed his penalty made it just about perfect. 

3 hours ago, Nibor said:

That was a fantastic night.  Up until then I'd had to take quite a lot of shit from both of the gasheads at school and they got both barrels after that.  Don't hear from them much these days...

I'm really not surprised, surely after 28 years they have left the school HOWEVER on the other hand ?

One of my top 3 memories as most of mates were Gas and they had the upper hand on us as we hadn't beat them for what seemed like ages.  Ran on the pitch at the end of game and hugged Aizlewood and he told me to calm down as was only a game.  I always knew he was a wrong un.

Funny as was from Keynsham and at the time my local was Wingrove and they'd  take a coach to some away games and we'd take a car but years behind me were mostly City.  No idea what Keynsham is like for City/Rovers split these days though?

Fantastic night/just looked at the highlights and got a shiver down my spine/ We hadn’t beating the funny people for yrs and to beat them in the last minute was extra extra special/ I always remember looking up into the grandstand from where I was in the park end and saw some old boy pointing his walking stick at the funny ones chanting 1-0 1-0 1-0 and basically going mental as we all were! Happy days.

Always went out to Trumpton and obviously the home games against the funny ones so that night is right there up with the best games for me ever!

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

Is this on YouTube anywhere?

Look what I found. 
For those with patience and/or are interested , the full match  with commentary from Phil Tottle, but don't let that put you off.

6 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes when roberts scored against hartlepool i dont recall the refs name but he said this.

Ive reffed at the nou camp, wembley, anfield etc but ive never heard noise like that when bristol city scored thier second goal.

Yes definitely Roberts' goal v Hartlepool was the loudest I've ever heard Ashton Gate and the Dolman moved that night.

That and Tony Tony Tony Thorpe's beauty in the 3:2 win against the sags makes the hairs on my neck stand on end.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

:sleeping:     How sad is it to post a thread about beating the Gas 28 years ago........ffs...........:disapointed2se:

28 years is indeed a long time.Thought you would have got over your teams defeat by now.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was sooo long ago......the thread suggests that nothing significant has happened since - not that beating the gas has ever been significant.          :cool2:

Got to disagree.

Other than winning finals or playoffs(what does that even feel like!) Nothing beats, the feeling of beating your city rivals. As much as they are seen as insignificant now, if by some small miracle we ended up in the same division as them it would be far and away the biggest game of the season. And living with a loss for either team is utterly shitty.

If people don't get that, then they are either too young to have experienced it or their brain cells have started dying off......  Imo 

22 minutes ago, TRL said:

Got to disagree.

Other than winning finals or playoffs(what does that even feel like!) Nothing beats, the feeling of beating your city rivals. As much as they are seen as insignificant now, if by some small miracle we ended up in the same division as them it would be far and away the biggest game of the season. And living with a loss for either team is utterly shitty.

If people don't get that, then they are either too young to have experienced it or their brain cells have started dying off......  Imo 

I enjoyed beating the gas as much as every City fan and I enjoy beating Cardiff and the loathsome Swindon but commemorating a win over the Gas 28 years ago is......sad......:disapointed2se:

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I enjoyed beating the gas as much as every City fan and I enjoy beating Cardiff and the loathsome Swindon but commemorating a win over the Gas 28 years ago is......sad......:disapointed2se:

It was a special match mate. Hadn't seen us beat them for about 8 seasons if memory serves me correctly. And that was the very first game I had seen them beat them live. Big big game for me

3 hours ago, Isawjonshaw said:

Still my most treasured football memory.  In the open end right next to they lot!  Thought Louie had messed it up, only for the ball to pop up and head it in!  We hadn’t beaten them in the league for many moons!  OTIB!!!

Just how I remember it. Seemed an age to go in. Then party time.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

:sleeping:     How sad is it to post a thread about beating the Gas 28 years ago........ffs...........:disapointed2se:

First time I'd seen City beat that lot, is that enough reason for you? Still hurts, does it?

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

See above. Better than defending myself over driving to Wembley to watch them. That really is sad

Don't like it, don't comment. Put me on ignore, do whatever the **** you want. But I will post the same thing every year on this date if it pissed you off so much

Sad ***** 

5 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

First time I'd seen City beat that lot, is that enough reason for you? Still hurts, does it?

See above. Better than defending myself over driving to Wembley to watch them. That really is sad

Don't like it, don't comment. Put me on ignore, do whatever the **** you want. But I will post the same thing every year on this date if it pissed you off so much

It hasn’t pissed me off at all - why would it?

I just don’t see the importance of beating the gas 28 years ago................:facepalm:

Archived