IGNORED

You’ll Never Walk Alone

bcfcredandwhite

18 minutes ago, gornagain said:

Gerry and the Pacemakers hit 1963, Liverpool band.

They made into a hit but the song was written by Rodgers and Hammerstein for the musical Carousel 

The song was adopted by Liverpool FC as their anthem - copied by numerous other football clubs. I even remember signing it in the old EE years ago.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

They made into a hit but the song was written by Rodgers and Hammerstein for the musical Carousel 

The song was adopted by Liverpool FC as their anthem - copied by numerous other football clubs. I even remember signing it in the old EE years ago.

Talking about what the EE used to sing years ago? How sad.....

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was in there every match Woodsy. 

I was in there when Donowa scored that winner...........were you in there as well?

When Donowa scored? Read my sad thread, the answer is there

So that makes it ok to post about then, yeah?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Yep, I can remember it being sung loads in the early ‘80s in the real East End.....

42 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Talking about what the EE used to sing years ago? How sad.....

Why exactly is it sad to talk about such great memories?

Playing in the top division (albeit briefly), watching the game whilst standing, players having real physical battles yet still able to maintain some level of sportsmanship and many other parts of the game which have been slowly eroded in the name of money made for great times to watch the beautiful game.

One day you might just be posting the same on a forum to some young kid about your experiences you’ve had in the last few seasons and would like a bit of respect and acknowledgement that you’ve seen a lot more than they have.

Now that some posters can’t justify having a pop at Pato they seem to want to have a pop at certain people on a forum which is where opinions are always different.

If you don’t like another posters opinions just put them on ignore and move on.

1 minute ago, Red DNA said:

Why exactly is it sad to talk about such great memories?

Playing in the top division (albeit briefly), watching the game whilst standing, players having real physical battles yet still able to maintain some level of sportsmanship and many other parts of the game which have been slowly eroded in the name of money made for great times to watch the beautiful game.

One day you might just be posting the same on a forum to some young kid about your experiences you’ve had in the last few seasons and would like a bit of respect and acknowledgement that you’ve seen a lot more than they have.

Now that some posters can’t justify having a pop at Pato they seem to want to have a pop at certain people on a forum which is where opinions are always different.

If you don’t like another posters opinions just put them on ignore and move on.

Read my thread about Louie Donowa Day, then you'll understand my comment

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, I can remember it being sung loads in the early ‘80s in the real East End.....

As well as.. 

"sign on.. 

Clap, clap. 

Sign on.. 

Clap clap. 

With hope. 

clap, clap

in your heart. 

Clap, clap. 

And you'll ne..

Clap, clap. 

Ver work

Clap clap... 

again. 

Clap clap. 

You'll ne.. 

Clap clap. 

Ver work. 

Clap clap. 

Again..." 

1 hour ago, gornagain said:

Gerry and the Pacemakers hit 1963, Liverpool band.

No, it was "Jerry" & the Schrittmachers  a Dortmund band.  Another of their hits was Ferry 'cross the Moselle, a hit in 1965.

21 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

As well as.. 

"sign on.. 

Clap, clap. 

Sign on.. 

Clap clap. 

With hope. 

clap, clap

in your heart. 

Clap, clap. 

And you'll ne..

Clap, clap. 

Ver work

Clap clap... 

again. 

Clap clap. 

You'll ne.. 

Clap clap. 

Ver work. 

Clap clap. 

Again..." 

The version I remember replaced hope with;

'With a pen, in yer hand'

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

If you watch carousel when they sing YNWA and don't get a tear in your eye or a lump in your throat then you have no heart, it certainly got me.

11 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Just me who can't stand the way broadcasters reverentially fall silent during it like it's the National Anthem then? 

It's just a crowd singing along with a record, and a dirge of a record at that.

I beg your pardon.

On 05/03/2019 at 19:57, bcfcredandwhite said:

Just watching the start of the Burussia Dortmund vs Tottenham game - I always wondered where Liverpool got their anthem from - now I know. 

A scouse must have gone to a football match whilst touring Germany once ....... and it stuck!!!

Doubtful... I ma sure you know deep down... But it's more probably from Gerry (Marsden) and the Pacemakers ( from Liverpool) - in their 1963 hit - also wise to remember the Beatles ( from Liverpool) were so popular in Germany in the 60's too. Having spent their formative years in Hamburg. Britain ruled the air waves in the mid to late 60's and everyone everywhere sang, mimicked or copied our popular music. 

It used to be sang regularly at Ashton Gate as well as many clubs during the 1970’s and early 80’s. It was sang on the night that City won promotion to the top flight in April ‘76. Even the City players were singing it! Always associated the song with Liverpool and during the 70’s Liverpool were dominating at home and in Europe, so the song was linked to winning and success more than anything which I guess is why other clubs sang it too. 

20 hours ago, pillred said:

If you watch carousel when they sing YNWA and don't get a tear in your eye or a lump in your throat then you have no heart, it certainly got me.

I always thought it was me alone, who welled up each time I saw the film and heard it sung at football matches. There are a couple of other songs in Carousel which trigger me also.

For me, YNWA, equals from football crowds the emotions I get when at the Millenium when Wales are playing and the crowd sing the anthem and one or two others. 

Archived