IGNORED

Season Ticket renewal – no longer enough Saturday games for exiled supporters?

robc

I don’t suppose I am alone, but I have decided not to renew my Season Ticket for the coming year. I live to the South of London and travelling to evening games is all but impossible for me, with cross London trains after a match meaning a return home well into the early hours. I have renewed each year so far by convincing myself that there are enough Saturday games per season to make a Season Ticket just about economical, but this season there will only have been 13 of the 23 home games played on a Saturday afternoon, with 3 others moved (1 to a Friday and 2 to a Sunday – and the latter have been affected by GWR and/or local enginnering works!)

Looking forward, I think it is not difficult to see that there could well be even less Saturday afternoon fixtures next season - both because of clashes with Bristol Rugby and courtesy of TV screenings - and so I am just going to buy match tickets when I need them in future. It’s a shame but with only just over half of our games being played on a Saturday this time around, it’s just no longer an economic proposition. I guess that I’ll go for a “Forever Bristol” membership to sweeten the pill a little. Anyone else in the same boat?

robc

PS I wonder if any clubs sell Saturday and Weekday season tickets separately – or would that be too complex administratively?

24 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

In my opinion the fault lies with the red button option.

I think teams like Bristol City Boro and Swansea

should not have to travel more than 130 miles for mid week games

I agree John, but I heard Bristol City asked sky not to be put them on red button as it's affecting attendances, 

53 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

In my opinion the fault lies with the red button option.

I think teams like Bristol City Boro and Swansea

should not have to travel more than 130 miles for mid week games

Hi @Never to the dark side how does the red button affect the fact Saturday afternoon games were moved? 

Also why only the three teams mentioned not having to travel? 

Curious to read why 

I faced this very same dilemma 10 years ago. At the time I had moved from Bristol to Norwich, but decided to keep the season ticket, simply because I could afford to. Or so I thought.

On average, it was costing me about £70 to get from Norwich to Bristol and back in the car. Because the drive was so long, we would come down on a Friday night, and go back on Sunday afternoon. I think by November I was absolutely exhausted, came home on a Sunday night, put the bag in the bedroom, crashed out on the bed and said to my wife (before we were married) "I can't do it anymore".

That season, I think at least a third of the games had moved to midweek games, and then there were a few back to back weekends, which I just couldn't do anymore (physically and financially). I ended that season having seen less than 10 games. 

It is bloody expensive if you don't live in the area, and since then the cost of everything has gone up as well. Giving up the season ticket is not an easy decision to make, trust me, but when it gets to the point where its costing you twice as much (or more) per game, then I think it's an easy decision to make.

I'd personally go for a membership, as it will help in certain games when tickets are in higher demand, although usually it wouldn't be a huge issue to get tickets for when you want. I'm extremely lucky in the respect that my wifes cousin has a few season tickets, and if and when I am in Bristol, I can pretty much guarantee that I can get a ticket.

I feel for you, but respect your decsion as well buddy :thumbsup:

Thought long and hard about it for next season, but bit the bullet and purchased, altho i'm expecting maybe even less 'proper' kick of days and times .

and if we did reach the promised land, it would probably be even worse. ..... it makes it expensive game prices, but having your own seat is a very personal thing, and giving it up would never be easy.

so good luck with your decision,   

The red button option is not available for saturday 3pm kick offs,

its the mid week games I am refering too

The reason I said Bristol City Boro and swansea is they have to travel the furthest

and should always be on Saturdays

when the fixtures are published

Up until the FA Cup games and from 28 November

Bristol City had no mid week AWAY evening fixtures for the remainder  of the season

If I find out who was reponsible

I would give them a gurt big kiss.

Maybe I'll find out one day

Talking of fixtures, why is our home game v Reading on Good Friday a 12 noon KO? Only just noticed this a couple of days ago, anyone else not realise or are you all more aware than me? :blink:

2 hours ago, robc said:

Looking forward, I think it is not difficult to see that there could well be even less Saturday afternoon fixtures next season - both because of clashes with Bristol Rugby and courtesy of TV screenings - and so I am just going to buy match tickets when I need them in future.

You then have the problem of it possibly being difficult to get tickets to games - which would certainly be the scenario were we to get promotion this season. A big "if", I know, but something you, I and many others in the same boat would have to consider, too.

2 hours ago, robc said:

I don’t suppose I am alone, but I have decided not to renew my Season Ticket for the coming year. I live to the South of London and travelling to evening games is all but impossible for me, with cross London trains after a match meaning a return home well into the early hours. I have renewed each year so far by convincing myself that there are enough Saturday games per season to make a Season Ticket just about economical, but this season there will only have been 13 of the 23 home games played on a Saturday afternoon, with 3 others moved (1 to a Friday and 2 to a Sunday – and the latter have been affected by GWR and/or local enginnering works!)

Looking forward, I think it is not difficult to see that there could well be even less Saturday afternoon fixtures next season - both because of clashes with Bristol Rugby and courtesy of TV screenings - and so I am just going to buy match tickets when I need them in future. It’s a shame but with only just over half of our games being played on a Saturday this time around, it’s just no longer an economic proposition. I guess that I’ll go for a “Forever Bristol” membership to sweeten the pill a little. Anyone else in the same boat?

robc

PS I wonder if any clubs sell Saturday and Weekday season tickets separately – or would that be too complex administratively?

Same for me, i live in East Sussex and work in South London, evening matches are not practical so a season ticket isn't economic. The Forever Bristol option works, as I have always been able to get tickets, both home and away with the priority this gives you.

The additional problem I face is Southern bloody Rail, so i nearly always drive which sadly limits my enjoyment in the Nova pre match, though the ham egg and chips are as good as ever.

24 minutes ago, RedM said:

Talking of fixtures, why is our home game v Reading on Good Friday a 12 noon KO? Only just noticed this a couple of days ago, anyone else not realise or are you all more aware than me? :blink:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!!! Really! Ffs also hadn’t noticed this :laugh:! Better book the day off then grrrrr

I too was going to get a season ticket this year. However travelling from South Wales for each game is not really an option (particularly Saturdays when I will have to get up extra early to visit the grand children on the wrong side of Bristol prior to the match). I will probably get to about 16 home games so have decided to buy tickets for each match, that way there is no pressure to try to get to every game. Yes the number of evening games also affected this decision. This way I can also get to sit in different areas of the ground and also take advantage of any £15 games.

Yes I'm in a similar boat, though living in South Devon isn't too bad a journey I can't get a train home from a midweek game and as I drive a lot of miles every day for work I don't often feel like driving it after work.

I will probably renew, knowing it wont make financial sense but does make things much easier, same seat with people you know, away tickets priority and never having to worry about when to buy each ticket. 

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes I'm in a similar boat, though living in South Devon isn't too bad a journey I can't get a train home from a midweek game and as I drive a lot of miles every day for work I don't often feel like driving it after work.

I will probably renew, knowing it wont make financial sense but does make things much easier, same seat with people you know, away tickets priority and never having to worry about when to buy each ticket. 

Pretty much the same for me except the train`s not an option - I`d still have to drive thirty miles to Exeter to get it - and I am really starting to struggle with night games. I don`t get home till 12:30 or so, don`t go to bed till 1 and then have to be up at 5 for work - it`s starting to **** me up for the rest of the week now I`m getting older. I`ve renewed but really had to think about it given the non-Saturday games this season. I`ve missed four games up to now (one Tuesday, one Friday, one Sunday and one Saturday when Mrs RRH was away for the weekend and I couldn`t leave our elderly mutt for ten hours) so am just about in credit still but it`s getting close.

Decisions eh?

I live in Bristol and have had a Dolman Stand season ticket for many years (the last few as an OAP). I can't attend matches on Wednesday or Friday evenings or Sundays, due to commitments. As so many fixtures have been  re-arranged to these particular days, I have missed out on 5 out of 23 league games this season. This year I won't be renewing, but instead will be getting Forever Membership and picking and choosing which matches to attend. ( And before anyone asks 'what if we go up this season?', I'll still have the same commitments, and even more games could be on Fridays and Sundays)

I know what you mean. Night games are difficult for me too living away from Bristol. I tend to miss around 6 league matches a season but that means that the South Stand season ticket is approx £20 per match which is still good value I feel. The red button is a difficult one as I have quite liked the option of being able to watch the match even though I haven’t been able to attend. I have renewed. 

Every game that’s moved from a Saturday 3pm KO presents problems in terms of travel for people living outside of Bristol.

As a season ticket holder living in Brighton the Tuesdays and Friday nights make it impossible unless I take at least half a day off work. With parts of the ground sold out for some games it would be good if the club could facilitate a system for people to buy tIckets off  season ticket holders that cant attend. Surely this would be a win/win situation? For example a ticket could be sold for £20/£25 which could be split each way to the club and season ticket holder. 

Luckily, although we live in West Sussex, being retired we can drive up for night games in the afternoon and then either get a cheap travelodge or drive home after the game, usually get home around 1.15. The QPR game was a bit of a begger though as we had already booked in with a cheap non refundable booking so had to book an extra night for the Tuesday and so stayed over a couple of days. Not great, but went to the Aerospace museum in Filton which is great.

Have renewed ST though, just had to do it!!

4 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

You only got to miss three games through whatever reason and your on a looser 

It's a lot more than 3, @ £355 in the South stand it works out at £15.40 a game 3 games would cost £46.20, it's at least £28 pounds in the SS that is saving of £291 on buying them on a one off, did you go to the Dianne Abbott maths academy?

Why done people in these situations just (legitimately) but a child’s ST for someone they know (you need ID for them) 

You then have you seat reserved for whenever you need it and then just upgrade the ticket to an adult ticket when you know you’ll be able to attend. 

2 hours ago, pillred said:

It's a lot more than 3, @ £355 in the South stand it works out at £15.40 a game 3 games would cost £46.20, it's at least £28 pounds in the SS that is saving of £291 on buying them on a one off, did you go to the Dianne Abbott maths academy?

Last seasons ticket in Dolman 415.00 equating to 18.00 per game miss three =54.00 =361.00 you save jack shit  phillip Hammond this season now 427.00 

5 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Last seasons ticket in Dolman 415.00 equating to 18.00 per game miss three =54.00 =361.00 you save jack shit  phillip Hammond this season now 427.00 

Of course you do! 

20 games at £28 POTD would cost £560! 

8 hours ago, allyolly said:

Every game that’s moved from a Saturday 3pm KO presents problems in terms of travel for people living outside of Bristol.

As a season ticket holder living in Brighton the Tuesdays and Friday nights make it impossible unless I take at least half a day off work. With parts of the ground sold out for some games it would be good if the club could facilitate a system for people to buy tIckets off  season ticket holders that cant attend. Surely this would be a win/win situation? For example a ticket could be sold for £20/£25 which could be split each way to the club and season ticket holder. 

only works for sell outs. why would they sell your seat for 20/25 when they can sell their own for 28 and keep all the profit. when we are in the prem and sell out each week then yes...

Archived