IGNORED

Marcus Rashford.... how calm

Maesknoll Red

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

Like them or not, that's one hell of a comeback, and one hell of a transformation since OGS was bought in.

Jose was sucking the life out of that club, and they just became a boring team to watch, more so than LVG's side. One thing you could always say about Man Utd was that they were very rarely boring.

Great penalty from Rashford, to keep that calm under that pressure, is something else. 

It was pretty much already decided anyway, but that result tonight has just confirmed that OGS will be there for a little while yet.

He will be there as long as the player get their own way

As soon as he upsets one or two the tools will be downed again

I absolutley hate the way VAR is being used in marginal decisions.

Not only is it destroying the experience for fans in the stadium by providing no information about what's going on, but it's already entirely ignoring its remit for correcting 'clear and obvious' mistakes.

Killing the passion in the ground for the TV audience imo.

7 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Kimpembe was looking the other way and there was probably less than a second between the shot being taken and the ball hitting his hand, so I honestly don’t see how that can be deemed as a deliberate handball (and the law is quite clear: it has to be deemed as deliberate in order for there to be an offence). 

Are 95% of handballs deliberate?

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I second  all of your post, especially the first sentence. For a club with so many injuries, that is a fantastic result for them. 

Got to give any team with a couple out injured etc a bit of belief and hope, it is possible

Never a pen in a million years, arm wasn’t outstretched and was looking in totally the opposite direction, and to top it off the Ref gives it after reviewing VAR :facepalm:

Overall though I thought Man Utd deserved to win as PSG were atrocious.

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Crass defending, turned his back on the ball, left his arm 'hanging' to make himself bigger. Ball struck arm and was diverted way off it's course (looked like it was going over the bar). Has to be a penalty.

So not deliberate then? 

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

Are 95% of handballs deliberate?

It’s a fair question! And the answer is ‘probably not’. Far too many penalties are given for handball in my view. 

Intent can also be a very difficult thing to gauge, unless a defending outfield player clearly makes a save on the goal line - eg Suarez v Ghana in the 2010 World Cup.

9 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Never a pen in a million years, arm wasn’t outstretched and was looking in totally the opposite direction, and to top it off the Ref gives it after reviewing VAR :facepalm:

Overall though I thought Man Utd deserved to win as PSG were atrocious.

Only he wasn’t looking in the wrong direction to begin with 

Ref simply had to give it for the drama and the tv rights negotiation. He knew he wouldn’t be praised for not giving it yet excused for giving as UEFA execs would have seen Buffon the hero, or Man Utd through. ££££

Cynical hat on of course.

For me, never in a million is that a pen. 

26 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Need to change the pen law for handball, especially with var coming in now. I'm sorry but if you don't allow a defender any natural movement at all, then something is very wrong

For me, if it hits your arm it should be a foul, regardless of intent - for clarity's sake. 

But.. it should only be a penalty if clearly deliberate or obviously prevents a goal. Otherwise - indirect free kick.

In examples like tonight the punishment is totally disproportionate to the crime. How does the defender avoid that exactly?

29 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I thought it was a pen - jumped up and turned his back, arm was out so it was a pen 

I agree it was a penalty. Just. Would i have given it in the 92nd minute of a televised Champions League match in front of the home crowd? No effing way!

2 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

For me, if it hits your arm it should be a foul, regardless of intent - for clarity's sake. 

But.. it should only be a penalty if clearly deliberate or prevents a goal. Otherwise - indirect free kick.

In examples like tonight the punishment is totally disproportionate to the crime

It did prevent a goal didn't it?

14 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

That wasn't deliberate handball. And the fact the ref had to spend about 2 minutes watching it suggests he wasn't sure and therefore he shouldn't have given it. But Rashford did brilliantly.

Agree 100%

The reason it took 2mins ? Ref had to wait to hear what Uefa wanted him to do!!!!

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

Only he wasn’t looking in the wrong direction to begin with 

If your going to deliberately handle the ball I’m pretty sure you’d have to watch where the ball is going to make sure you do block it?

FIFA say it has to be a deliberate handball for a penalty to be given, wasn’t deliberate from what I saw, and as for VAR that’s supposed to be for clear and obvious errors, so for the Ref to take as long as he did showed that it was clear and obvious at all.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

His arm was out. Penalty

Funny how a lot of pundits and fans say no penalty and THREE out of three qualified referees say penalty. Pretty sure if all three say pen then it’s a pen 

If the law says that's a penalty then the law needs changing

32 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I deliberately didn’t comment on anything other than the penalty taker, he had nothing to do with the decision, but still showed nerve well beyond his years.

Taking it on, just what has OGS done to that team, a Manager with limited experience and a failed venture in the Prem, has completely turned the fortunes of Man U around.  And that, after taking over a multi trophy winner, who failed miserably.  No matter what your opinion of Man U, it’s an amazing story.

Where United went wrong after SAF left was they appointed people who didn't understand the club. Imo they should have stuck with Giggs.

18 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Crass defending, turned his back on the ball, left his arm 'hanging' to make himself bigger. Ball struck arm and was diverted way off it's course (looked like it was going over the bar). Has to be a penalty.

This. He purposely made himself bigger hence why it's a deliberate hand ball.

23 minutes ago, Rob k said:

He’s looking straight at the ball and turns his back  - tough shit, don’t be a pussy! 

3AA5628E-714A-436A-8277-F897E97FC9C1.png

5 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

If the law says that's a penalty then the law needs changing

From next season,

Another change to the laws of the game means that if the player's arms extend beyond a "natural silhouette", handball will be given, even if it is perceived as accidental.

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

His arm was out. Penalty

Funny how a lot of pundits and fans say no penalty and THREE out of three qualified referees say penalty. Pretty sure if all three say pen then it’s a pen 

Birds of a feather. Takes a lot of courage to call out a peer re that decision on that stage with the scrutiny that’s coming. 

A bit of sympathy for occasion I would suggest 

39 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I deliberately didn’t comment on anything other than the penalty taker, he had nothing to do with the decision, but still showed nerve well beyond his years.

Taking it on, just what has OGS done to that team, a Manager with limited experience and a failed venture in the Prem, has completely turned the fortunes of Man U around.  And that, after taking over a multi trophy winner, who failed miserably.  No matter what your opinion of Man U, it’s an amazing story.

Sorry, I just don’t get why people are surprised, they have spent an absolute fortune on top class players, they just didn’t want to play for the previous manager. 

Now that these players are  “actually bothering to try”, the class that they always had is winning games.

But let’s not kid ourselves that they are that special as a team, the Premier league has about 6 decent sides and 14 who just aim to stay up, Man Utd because of the money they spend will always be in the top 6..... when the players actually try!

48 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Or, the majority of the Premier league!

Football at the top level is becoming farcical, tv deciding the outcome of matches, won’t be long before we all get to vote on handballs with our remote controls!!!

You may be on to something there. It could all be decided by Putin's hackers in Moscow.

Archived