IGNORED

18,000 pints

JasonM88

Trust me rugby fans drink far more than football fans. Of course taking pints into the ground makes a big difference. The mentality seems to be different as well, rugby fans don't seem to mind missing a third of the game in the toilet or queueing for pints. Personally you can drink at anytime, so when I have shelled out for my City season ticket and tickets to watch the odd Bristol Bears match I want to watch the whole 80/90 mins the boozing can wait.

1 hour ago, City Ben said:

Umm... some people don’t want five pints a game? Some people are kids? Some are (gasp) women? I think it’s probably a fairly decent ratio across the entire mix of the support. 

4/5 pints over 4 hours or so?

I'd probably drink more if it didn't take so God damn long to get a drink.

I know for a fact I'm not the only one who drinks that amount. I'm certain there is those who even drink more. 

I think it's a poor ratio, especially at football.

3 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Trust me rugby fans drink far more than football fans. Of course taking pints into the ground makes a big difference. The mentality seems to be different as well, rugby fans don't seem to mind missing a third of the game in the toilet or queueing for pints. Personally you can drink at anytime, so when I have shelled out for my City season ticket and tickets to watch the odd Bristol Bears match I want to watch the whole 80/90 mins the boozing can wait.

Rugby fans make a whole day of it. I've had some amazing times after the match at rugby even tho Bris have lost! 

At football it seems the drinking is done before the game and as soon as the game is over everyone heads home.

20 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

And don’t forget that at the rugby the standard for many people (myself included) is to drink the 2-Pinters so there’s less queuing involved and you also, obviously, drink more! If you time a bar or toilet run right, the queues will be fine tbf but there are obvious pinch-points immediately before kick off and say 10mins or so either side of HT. Oh and talking of timing, picking up a one pound pie afterwards is a bonus. 

59 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I have said this before and been knocked for it but I am going to say it again as it is the closest to ITK I have ever been. I was chatting to someone at the Bolton game who is high up in the club catering. He said the rugby easily outstrip the football fans when it comes to bars spending. The Man Utd game generated something like £37k across 11 bars. The Bears v Bath game, a similar attendance, £123k. Admittedly The football was a night match and the rugby was on a Bank Holiday, but still a huge difference.

I think that goes without saying really — at rugby you’re allowed to drink during the match so despite the reduced numbers in comparison with the football they’ve got a massive advantage on that front.

6 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Am I the only one who isn't that impressed by that figure? 

1 pint for every two people across two sports with a bigger selling window during rugby.

Of course we need to take into account the U18s in these figures.

Personally I buy 4/5 pints per game. I'm certain I'm not the only one that does that. So out of 36 thousand people I would hazard a guess at only 10 thousand people are actually buying a pint.

I would be too chuffed with those figures if I was in charge. 

Yes it's better than pre development but is that the furthest we want to go with our ambitions? 

We need to look at why we are having so few people buying pints. I'd suggest it's a combination of prices and the time it takes to be served plus factors such as lack of places to rest a pint and lack of toilet facilities.

I think it’s quite impressive if you take into factor what’s around Ashton Gate; it’s not one of those grounds like Bolton where it’s in the middle of an industrial estate with barely a pub in sight — if you go into the BS3, Spanish Bar, Masonic, Bedminster Spoons, The Coronation and pubs around hotwells they’re all full with home fans.

Most people (myself included) you’d have a job convincing to drink at the ground rather than pubs around the ground no matter what facilities you have.

30 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

4/5 pints over 4 hours or so?

I'd probably drink more if it didn't take so God damn long to get a drink.

I know for a fact I'm not the only one who drinks that amount. I'm certain there is those who even drink more. 

I think it's a poor ratio, especially at football.

Mate I agree with you. I’m the same, and I’m sure you’re right that lots of people will drink even more.

But think across the whole of the make up of the entire crowd - not all of them are MEGALADS like us. 

6 hours ago, Up The City! said:

We need to look at why we are having so few people buying pints. I'd suggest it's a combination of prices and the time it takes to be served plus factors such as lack of places to rest a pint and lack of toilet facilities.

Maybe something to do with the drink / drive laws?

We’ve come a long way from pre-development and in reality there is only so far we can go due to the window of opportunity to buy a pint and drink it before getting to your seat before ko. 

Also some people definitely have weak bladders and any more than two pints end up going back and forwards to the toilets during the match much to the annoyance of most people trying to concentrate on the game. 

2 minutes ago, City Ben said:

Mate I agree with you. I’m the same, and I’m sure you’re right that lots of people will drink even more.

But think across the whole of the make up of the entire crowd - not all of them are MEGALADS like us. 

Most people having 6 or 7 pints before a game won’t be drinking in the ground other than at half time I’d say generally. We go down at about 10am every week and have about that before the game but the only time I ever get a pint at AG is during half time.

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

1 pint for every two people across two sports with a bigger selling window during rugby.

Personally I buy 4/5 pints per game. I'm certain I'm not the only one that does that. So out of 36 thousand people I would hazard a guess at only 10 thousand people are actually buying a pint.

Yes it's better than pre development but is that the furthest we want to go with our ambitions? 

plus having to drive to games (even if getting park and ride). I always have to drive some part of the journey, so can't drink any alcohol at all

11 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Most people having 6 or 7 pints before a game won’t be drinking in the ground other than at half time I’d say generally. We go down at about 10am every week and have about that before the game but the only time I ever get a pint at AG is during half time.

Ooh @Up The City! you’ve got competition for the Biggest Boozer award! ?

A lot of rugby fans head straight into the ground to drink whilst quite a large number of football fans still frequent the local pubs,I personally drink more before the game in The Rising Sun than I do in the ground.

26 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Only 10am, meh part timer. 

I'm down at AG on the Thursday before a Saturday match soaking up the pre match atmosphere, it means I can get at least 140 pints in before kick off...

10 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

A lot of rugby fans head straight into the ground to drink whilst quite a large number of football fans still frequent the local pubs,I personally drink more before the game in The Rising Sun than I do in the ground.

Is it any good on a matchday anymore? The last time I went in was before the Sheffield Utd game, the choice of ciders was shite and nobody was really singing like they used to pre-match in there. Last time I went in there and it was like that was the Man U game.

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Don't forget some people have to drive. I do and I've already had my safe allocation of juice before I get to the ground.

So someone else is having my 1/2 pint. 

5 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Is it any good on a matchday anymore? The last time I went in was before the Sheffield Utd game, the choice of ciders was shite and nobody was really singing like they used to pre-match in there. Last time I went in there and it was like that was the Man U game.

I like a pint of Thatchers Dry,so suits me.

1 minute ago, NOTBLUE said:

Hit and miss,half empty sometimes,full other times,definitely no singing anymore though.It’s the old case of use it or lose it though.

Fair enough. The Robins and The Rising Sun are two of the closest pubs to Ashton Gate and I only really go in either one or two times a season. Shame The Wedlock isn't still there, would've loved to have gone in there.

2 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Fair enough. The Robins and The Rising Sun are two of the closest pubs to Ashton Gate and I only really go in either one or two times a season. Shame The Wedlock isn't still there, would've loved to have gone in there.

Ship and Castle all day long for me,not for the faint hearted.

3 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Shame that went as well, would've loved to have had a proper drink in there.

Only thing was ,you had to wipe your feet on the way out.

3 hours ago, City Ben said:

Forget the pints, I’m more shocked that we sold 1 in every 9 people a pasty! 

........and that they are still alive to tell the tale.

2 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Same with the Wedlock, was only young but can still remember the floor being like it was made out of used chewing gum.

Frequented Wedlock’s after the “Ship” closed down.

24 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

6/7 pints is just foreplay compared for some of the gents in The London Inn and occasionally the Masonic on a matchday mate :laugh:

And then end up going to the toilet 20 times during the match and ruining it for other people. Thanks a lot :laughcont:

Archived