IGNORED

March 9th 1974: City 0 Liverpool 1 FACR6

headhunter

Can't believe its 45 years ago to the day that we played this our last appearance in the FA Cup Quarter Final:

Goal comes 11 mins into this video. Seem to recall saying at the time that the ricochet on the half way line that puts Keegan in the clear was very much like that which set up Poland for their equaliser in the infamous World Cup qualifier 6 months earlier.

38 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Can't believe its 45 years ago to the day that we played this our last appearance in the FA Cup Quarter Final:

Goal comes 11 mins into this video. Seem to recall saying at the time that the ricochet on the half way line that puts Keegan in the clear was very much like that which set up Poland for their equaliser in the infamous World Cup qualifier 6 months earlier.

Proper Ground

Proper Crowd

Proper Muddy Pitch

Proper Legends (both sides)

Proper Affordable Football

Proper Pipe Smoking In The Dug Out ?

Proper terracing

Proper FA Cup tie

Proper 1970's 

Proper Memories Of The Way We Were , 

If we had the chance to do it all again, tell me,  would we? , could we?  

My memory of that game was just after their goal, City broke forward looking for an instant equaliser. Some Liverpool fan then ran on the pitch celebrating and the Ref (admittedly correctly) stopped the game; 11:53 in to the vid. If it hadn't been for that Scouser, who knows?

7 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Proper Memories Of The Way We Were , 

If we had the chance to do it all again, tell me,  would we? , could we?  

Can it be that it was all so simple then
Or has time rewritten every line
If we had the chance to do it all again, tell me, would we, could we?

Great times but the world has moved on - unless you want to go back to driving a Ford Zephyr or something equally unreliable from that time ?

1 minute ago, Red DNA said:

unless you want to go back to driving a Ford Zephyr or something equally unreliable from that time ?

Villa away in the rain and having a passenger using string through the slightly open windows to operate the wipers. Would today's top players be able to play on those 70's pitches though?

11 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Great times but the world has moved on - unless you want to go back to driving a Ford Zephyr or something equally unreliable from that time ?

I'd love to drive a motor with proper 'front bench seats' again … :) 

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

I was there. Paid my 75p to stand in the Enclosure.

2019-03-09 12.31.28.jpg

25 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

At least you could fix the bugger yourself, nowadays you lift the bonnet to a raft of plastic and wires.  No idea where the bloody engine is in mine under all that stuff.  Plus, there was nothing better than tinkering with your carburettor on a Sunday. (That’s not a euphemism).

Oh man, nostalgia, I was there, just to the right of the goal in the East End, have tears in my eyes watching that, wife thinks I've lost it but that was the first City result that really hurt me, couldn't watch their goal even now after all this time, I can still see it happening in my head. There were alot of Liverpool and Leeds fans around my age in that time and used to get jip for supporting City, after taking down Leeds in the previous round I really thought we had a chance to win this one, ah well little did i know that City were to play with my heart so much over the next 45 years :laugh:. Thanks for posting #headhunter

11 hours ago, headhunter said:

Brilliant Video thanks for the reminder. I was standing behind the east end goal when Toshack scored and I remember him guiding the ball down with his arm, as it bounced towards him from Keegans cross. You can see him doing it if you watch the replay carefully.  

Brilliant to hear the east end singing an old favourite of ours ' We're better than United and we're louder  than the Kop... Our name is Bristol city and we play Ashton Gate come on all you city fans lets sing and celebrate .... Great memories - thanks again

Loved watching that. Made me realise I was born too late. born in 82 and started going to games on a regular basis late 80's. I'm lucky enough to have been on terracing at Ashton Gate but it was nothing like that. Decent noise with proper chants too.

Archived