IGNORED

Bristol City v Leeds United Match Day 35

Septic Peg

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Can someone with some tactical nous help me understand why the CB's had so many opportunities to come out with the ball today?

Was it Pack and Brownhill being marked out of the midfield or them simply not making the runs?

You mean our cb's? Birmingham did exactly the same,give them nothing to pass to and make them hit it long. However,as soon as Webster beats one going forward things tend to open up.

56 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

All subjective and there is no guarantee that your “right in their faces” approach would have fared any better against a side who were ultimately just better.

As for “hasn’t learned much over past seasons”...

...18th, 17th, 11th, 7th.

Please name the managers in the football league who can point to nearly four seasons of consecutive league position improvement?

Villa currently in 14th are only 6pts behind us and we still have to play them and, Boro, Sheff Utd, Derby and WBA so you may want to revise that 7th place.

I can see us in 14th instead of Villa at the end but you carry on believing.

As for the "just better" so were Super Leeds way back, but we FOUGHT for every ball and battled till the end and beat them; you could also argue Liverpool/Man Utd etc "were just better" but we beat them as well.

We lack forward power and champ exp up front and a midfield general, should have been sorted ages ago; we are going no-where until it is.

Many clubs from years back have passed us by and are now Prem fixtures....why are we not replicating them..what do they have that we don't? talking the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Burnley, even Watford and Liecs from further back and many others we played regularly in this div.....what are we missing?

2 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Villa currently in 14th are only 6pts behind us and we still have to play them and, Boro, Sheff Utd, Derby and WBA so you may want to revise that 7th place.

As for the "just better" so were Super Leeds way back, but we FOUGHT for every ball and battled till the end and beat them; you could also argue Liverpool/Man Utd etc "were just better" but we beat them as well.

We lack forward power and champ exp up front and a midfield general, should have been sorted ages ago; we are going no-where until it is.

Many clubs from years back have passed us by and are now Prem fixtures....why are we not replicating them..what do they have that we don't? talking the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Burnley, even Watford and Liecs from further back and many others we played regularly in this div.....what are we missing?

And many clubs from years back have fallen behind us while we continue to make steady progress up the league ladder - much like some of the teams in your list did before ultimately making it into the PL.

But I guess that wouldn’t suit your one-sided overtly negative viewpoint would it.

11 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

A business plan that actually delivers. How many more decades will we have to wait for SL 's plan to work?

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

And many clubs from years back have fallen behind us while we continue to make steady progress up the league ladder - much like some of the teams in your list did before ultimately making it into the PL.

But I guess that wouldn’t suit your one-sided overtly negative viewpoint would it.

At least they've been in the premier league unlike us, we've been waiting nearly 40 years to get back to the top flight, 

1 minute ago, h hills left shoe said:

At least they've been in the premier league unlike us, we've been waiting nearly 40 years to get back to the top flight, 

As a 35 year old you don’t need to remind me of that. But would it really hurt that much to acknowledge the progress we’ve made in the last five years - on and off the pitch?

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

As a 35 year old you don’t need to remind me of that. But would it really hurt that much to acknowledge the progress we’ve made in the last five years - on and off the pitch?

35 you're still a youngster, I'm 57 and been waiting long enough, if smaller clubs can do it then why can't we.?

2 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Can someone with some tactical nous help me understand why the CB's had so many opportunities to come out with the ball today?

Was it Pack and Brownhill being marked out of the midfield or them simply not making the runs?

Notified this a lot on the first half. They would start to overrun the midfield and we were then left with no options.

Very strange.

The reason why we don't get the promotion to the Premier League? Here are  some.

ONE point from last TWELVE available.

Yet another home game where we go a goal behind early on and then manage to go the rest of the game with only one attempt on target. How many times do City players have a shooting opportunity, yet pass it sideways?

An HC who puts Semenyo on for his first start and plays him wide left instead of up front.

At left back we play one of two very talented but very young and inexperienced players. The left back should be a defender not a modern version of Matthews or Garrincha. Leave the attacking to non defenders. Is Baker fit? If so, could he not do better as a defensive left back?

Leeds were a well organised side but not that exceptional that we have to roll over on our backs and wait for belly tickling to commence.

I despair of any significant progress at the club I have supported for so long. We'll just bounce along for another season or two and then go back very quietly to League One and again be the big fish in the small pond. 

53 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The reason why we don't get the promotion to the Premier League? Here are  some.

ONE point from last TWELVE available.

Yet another home game where we go a goal behind early on and then manage to go the rest of the game with only one attempt on target. How many times do City players have a shooting opportunity, yet pass it sideways?

An HC who puts Semenyo on for his first start and plays him wide left instead of up front.

At left back we play one of two very talented but very young and inexperienced players. The left back should be a defender not a modern version of Matthews or Garrincha. Leave the attacking to non defenders. Is Baker fit? If so, could he not do better as a defensive left back?

Leeds were a well organised side but not that exceptional that we have to roll over on our backs and wait for belly tickling to commence.

I despair of any significant progress at the club I have supported for so long. We'll just bounce along for another season or two and then go back very quietly to League One and again be the big fish in the small pond. 

People keep mentioning square pegs and round holes, sums up our HC and his decisions!

another worry at the gate is the 8 shirt, yes I know current wearer has played every game and should be getting a break.  BUT what is it about the shirt? Going back to LJ Kilkenny and others - the 8 should be the player showing the team the way forward, today as in our recent history the 8 was checking behind him before deciding where to play the ball and on most occasions that’s where the ball went! We need to remove 8  from the team shirts, it’s football - forward passes are allowed!

35 minutes ago, dave36 said:

People keep mentioning square pegs and round holes, sums up our HC and his decisions!

another worry at the gate is the 8 shirt, yes I know current wearer has played every game and should be getting a break.  BUT what is it about the shirt? Going back to LJ Kilkenny and others - the 8 should be the player showing the team the way forward, today as in our recent history the 8 was checking behind him before deciding where to play the ball and on most occasions that’s where the ball went! We need to remove 8  from the team shirts, it’s football - forward passes are allowed!

Removing the man from No 8 would do me for now. 

Out of form. Offers zero. 

Walsh is fit, get him in. 

5 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The game sold out all tickets available. What do you define as a “full house” if it isn’t that?

You obviously weren’t at the game - the attendance was announced as 24.8k - not sold out then....the attendance figures given on the day are the number of tickets sold, not the number that turned up...so are you saying that in a stadium of 27k seats, an attendance of under 25k is sold out? The segregation stuff is less than 2k....

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You obviously weren’t at the game - the attendance was announced as 24k - not sold out then....the attendance figures given on the day are the number of tickets sold, not the number that turned up...

I was at the game. 24.8k announced which as you say is the number of tickets sold, and we know the game was sold out, so that was capacity for this match and therefore a “full house”. There will always be a small % who don’t utilise their ticket. 

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I was at the game. 24.8k announced which as you say is the number of tickets sold, and we know the game was sold out, so that was capacity for this match and therefore a “full house”. There will always be a small % who don’t utilise their ticket. 

Fair enough CR - so 24,800 is the ‘sold out’ figure at the new Ashton Gate? I thought it would be nearer 27,000 but thanks for your response, enjoy the rest of your weekend...and on we go towards Ipswich at home!

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You see it as negative that's fine as it doesn`t suit your LJ/SL can do no wrong viewpoint; poor recruitment and management will continue to stop us making any real progress; we cannot build something if we continue to knock it down and re-build/go again every season.

1 hour ago, Bri Stool City said:

You see it as negative that's fine as it doesn`t suit your LJ/SL can do no wrong viewpoint; poor recruitment and management will continue to stop us making any real progress; we cannot build something if we continue to knock it down and re-build/go again every season.

At no point did I say anything about “LJ/SL can do no wrong”. They have both made plenty of mistakes. Unlike yourself, some of us are capable of taking a less polarised view that acknowledges positives and negatives.

As for “real progress”, in the last five years this club has moved from League One, to bottom-half Championship relegation fighters, to top-half promotion contenders. If substantial league position improvement isn’t real progress then I don’t know what is. Some people’s memories are incredibly short.

15 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

2 shots on target says it all.

An unpredictable midfield and a striker who is always behind play and has no concept of trying to lose his marker, get in front of his marker or making the occassional near post run.

Totally agree... Effort and workrate are admirable... But as a frontman he is inept ... No physicality..no ball control..no anticipation..easily wound up.. I know people will say look at his goals tally, but what about the sitters he misses every game. He is simply not good enough.

14 hours ago, MelksRed said:

Watch Leeds keep coming and step off of them for at least 15 yards each time they won the ball.

In addition we also decided to communicate via telepathy instead of actually communicating in the established mode. 

Then we decided to play FD with his 50p toe capped boots ensuring that we could never guess where the ball was going. FD was also told to fall to the ground as soon as a Leeds player came within 2 ft of him. 

Finally we asked everyone to play without passion.....

I effectively paid circa £50 for the kids and I to watch a team who looked liked they'd never played with each other. 

#disappointed

A tad harsh but I know where it’s coming from 

8 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

I should have waited until this morning to post......was sooo annoyed yesterday....thanks for not ripping me to bits! ??

It’s frustrating for sure as we never gave a good account of ourselves so Leeds had it easy . They’re decent and have spent loads with a big wage bill . We’re a competitive championship side that are improving. All on a budget . Proud not sad 

5 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

But we clearly are making progress. It might not be at the speed you or some want, but we are making progress, and unlike several clubs in this league don't have the FFP investigation hanging over us.

27 minutes ago, foghornred said:

Playing their goal back it could have been given offside without any complaints but it hard to say these days with the new rules active and inactive and all that.

Having watched it a few times, I don't think it was offside and didn't at the time, but at the time and in the playback, I'm not too sure what Max was up to. Not looking to blame him but I think an experienced keeper would have been more decisive.

4 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

But we clearly are making progress. It might not be at the speed you or some want, but we are making progress, and unlike several clubs in this league don't have the FFP investigation hanging over us.

True words. Slow and steady (hopefully) wins the race.

I’d rather be us than say, Birmingham, and for a variety of reasons.

3 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Having watched it a few times, I don't think it was offside and didn't at the time, but at the time and in the playback, I'm not too sure what Max was up to. Not looking to blame him but I think an experienced keeper would have been more decisive.

I don`t think we`re giving Bamford enough credit either. He`s never struck me as a player who gets in where it hurts but he did for the goal. A lot of players would have held back when they realised they were going to crash into the post but he didn`t. He could easily have injured himself badly and it obviously affected him afterwards as he was virtually anonymous until he was subbed.

Archived