IGNORED

Oh dear

Robin Wood

Few things for me.

1) Leeds weren’t very good. Seen better football and better presses over the years. Good side but not a top 2 side over the last 3-4 seasons imo. 

2) We showed them far too much respect. Like in the back of our minds we could not play football around them but there were spaces we did not exploit. 

3) Quite a few players who did not get out of first gear. Now I sit in Dolman and see lots of our fullbacks. Jay Dasilva did not break a sweat today and was very lazy and far too casual. Not the only one though. Looked like Leeds wanted it more

4) Quite a few look jaded. Pack, Brownhill and O’Dowda to name a few. Luckily we have a break coming up but I’d still be tempted to maybe rest Pack for say Walsh against Ipswich. Anyway back to today, Brownhill and Pack especially kept dropping deep instead of running and finding space behind their midfield(Pato too). This lead to 6 at the back and 4 up top a lot. Think this was the big symtom of fatigue. 

5) Not a go at LJ but thought he picked a terrible game to throw Semenyo out on the wing. Missed Weimann and though Andi would/could have exploited the channels today. They played a high line and when pressed we lumped to Fam. The channels were an option but no one running them. 

The disappointing thing was we could have beat Leeds. They created very little and their goal was mistakes on our part rather than good football. We were just a bit lazy and too worried about them being Leeds and how they play. 

Perhaps folk can now understand that when we were on our unbeaten run why some of us were sceptical that this team was promotion quality.  For those of us who remember the team that last lifted the club out of this level, the present team looked seriously light in at least three of the four key positions, viz goalie, centre half, playmaker, and centre forward.

That said the coaching staff will have learnt from this season and from games like today against a team that may well go up.  Hopefully they can put this knowledge to good effect next season.  Perhaps the most important lesson being that if you won't, or can't, strengthen the squad in January then you must start in August with a team you feel confident will be serious promotion contenders, and that means addressing those four key positions this coming summer.

15 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Few things for me.

1) Leeds weren’t very good. Seen better football and better presses over the years. Good side but not a top 2 side over the last 3-4 seasons imo. 

2) We showed them far too much respect. Like in the back of our minds we could not play football around them but there were spaces we did not exploit. 

3) Quite a few players who did not get out of first gear. Now I sit in Dolman and see lots of our fullbacks. Jay Dasilva did not break a sweat today and was very lazy and far too casual. Not the only one though. Looked like Leeds wanted it more

4) Quite a few look jaded. Pack, Brownhill and O’Dowda to name a few. Luckily we have a break coming up but I’d still be tempted to maybe rest Pack for say Walsh against Ipswich. Anyway back to today, Brownhill and Pack especially kept dropping deep instead of running and finding space behind their midfield(Pato too). This lead to 6 at the back and 4 up top a lot. Think this was the big symtom of fatigue. 

5) Not a go at LJ but thought he picked a terrible game to throw Semenyo out on the wing. Missed Weimann and though Andi would/could have exploited the channels today. They played a high line and when pressed we lumped to Fam. The channels were an option but no one running them. 

The disappointing thing was we could have beat Leeds. They created very little and their goal was mistakes on our part rather than good football. We were just a bit lazy and too worried about them being Leeds and how they play. 

Abridged version...

We just ain't a top six side yet.

25 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Perhaps folk can now understand that when we were on our unbeaten run why some of us were sceptical that this team was promotion quality.  For those of us who remember the team that last lifted the club out of this level, the present team looked seriously light in at least three of the four key positions, viz goalie, centre half, playmaker, and centre forward.

Kalas and Webster ...really are you serious.....Centre Half is the one position that we  are most definitely NOT seriously light?????? 

39 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

That was very poor they didn't really have to work that hard to beat us

Actually they worked very hard off the ball meaning we were pressured in possession. Yes they didn’t have to get into 6th gear but they gave away nothing defensively and Janson had Diedhou in his back pocket all game. Excellent CB tbf

8 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Abridged version...

Probably not but think the frustration is we are likely to lose another 2-3 starters in the summer and having an element of restarting again. Can we keep playing it slow? We did need a striker in January and that could have been a massive difference but we opted to stay safe and save the money for the summer.

Idk I can see why people are frustrated though. We have a few holes that need filled and we have a glut of high paid player in other positions that can’t get minutes. LJ also linked with bigger jobs regularly now. Our window can close any moment. I like how we do business but we can’t assume we can lose 2-3 players every summer and come back stronger. Players and coaches I think will also want to see more. 

3 minutes ago, Angmering Red said:

Kalas and Webster ...really are you serious.....Centre Half is the one position that we  are most definitely NOT seriously light?????? 

Yea that is a bit strange. CB and wide players we can go without for a couple seasons barring mass exits

18 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Abridged version...

Change eight for six and I agree. Not being negative, just realistic.

SL shouldn't ever talk about top 6 unless he buys THAT striker everyone knows we need.

Not knocking anyone, just stating what is a fact. 8 or 9th would be a good season going on what i thought in August.

5 minutes ago, shelts said:

Thought Leeds had an easy ride today . Set up well and deserved all three points 

They did have an easy ride indeed. That was as poor a first half as I've seen this season. Talk about giving the ball away and their keeper could have set up a deck chair and put his feet up for how much we threatened their goal. 

After playing Norwich and Leeds I'm far more disappointed with this result.

Leeds played the ref as they always do and he fell into it. Leeds stopped playing at half time and as much as they were good at pressing, Fam's open goal strike or Taylor's lob or Josh's free kick cleared off the line could easily have won it.

How they ended up with 11 on the pitch at the end must surely be down to the Yorkshire liking ref who was quite content to allow their No.18 the freedom to Roger Fam all match, allow the keeper to stay on when clearly aiming a headbutt at Bailey Wright and continually ignore the constant dissent shown by Ayling and Hernandez.

6 minutes ago, Angmering Red said:

Please read my comment with more care before blundering in.  I said at least three of the four key positions.  At least, because by August next year Kalas may well be gone.  Got it now, dear?

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Please read my comment with more care before blundering in.  I said at least three of the four key positions.  At least, because by August next year Kalas may well be gone.  Got it now, dear?

Yeah, we only have Kelly, Wright, Baker, Vyner and Moore who can step up.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yeah, we only have Kelly, Wright, Baker, Vyner and Moore who can step up.

None of those are anywhere near Prem standard.  Two of them can't command a regular place on our bench, one is on loan to a club fighting relegation, one is over the hill, and the other has never reached the hill. If we go with one of those we shall have seriously weakened the side from the one we currently enjoy

Disagree with a few of the posters on here re Leeds.  I thought they looked a really strong outfit.  I was at Norwich a few weeks back and as we all know we were really 'in that game'.  Today we were not, second best all over the park,  and no complaints re the score. They do what they do, like it or not, and do it well. Are Sheff United in similar vein as Leeds, but not as good ?   ironic that I believe Leeds won convincingly at Norwich earlier on in the season, and Norwich did same to them at Leeds.  

I have no doubt them and Norwich will be in the premier next season and it will be an interesting watch to see how both fare.  It is the standard to reach.  We may or may not end up in the play-offs. If we do its the lap of the goods but hope Leeds are not in the pray  offs.

I for one have faith in the club and am really confident we are heading towards that promised land, but not quite there.  Next season anyone :fear:

thought we were poor all over the pitch with the exception off kalas and webby,  picked the wrong game for semenyo and should only be used has the impact player, today was the game to play our away tactics at home, instead leeds were pressing us high and  letting us make the mistakes, we were outnumbered in midfield so many times.

taylor didnt offer much when he came on and yet we still get the calls for him too start, can anyone remember taylor looking good in any game hes actualys started because i cant.

brum, preston,norwich and leeds was allways going to a tough run but we have ipswich on tuesday , get back to winning ways then a long rest, we might still do it.

23 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I get it you mean 4 key positions what is often called the spine of the team but you said 'present side' and FWIW also I think Nikki has shown he is a pretty decent Championship GK with Frankie as deputy,  today we had to play Max as 3rd choice.

11 minutes ago, leadman said:

thought we were poor all over the pitch with the exception off kalas and webby,  picked the wrong game for semenyo and should only be used has the impact player, today was the game to play our away tactics at home, instead leeds were pressing us high and  letting us make the mistakes, we were outnumbered in midfield so many times.

taylor didnt offer much when he came on and yet we still get the calls for him too start, can anyone remember taylor looking good in any game hes actualys started because i cant.

brum, preston,norwich and leeds was allways going to a tough run but we have ipswich on tuesday , get back to winning ways then a long rest, we might still do it.

You and I have gone up and down with Taylor 100 times so with that put to one side, I agree with everything else. Stop the rot on Tuesday and have a good long break by which time we MIGHT have Korey fit. 

Disappointed that we didn’t show today. But we can still do this. All this we are not top 8 top 10 bollocks is embarrassing. We can be easily a top six team but we have to show up.

Were you listening after the game?

13 minutes ago, Angmering Red said:

I get it you mean 4 key positions what is often called the spine of the team but you said 'present side' and FWIW also I think Nikki has shown he is a pretty decent Championship GK with Frankie as deputy,  today we had to play Max as 3rd choice.

You make a perfectly valid point, but, imo, Fielding should be let go, and Maenpaa (sp?) is not a Cashley or a Gibson, the standard we should be aiming for if we want to progress.

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

You make a perfectly valid point, but, imo, Fielding should be let go, and Maenpaa (sp?) is not a Cashley or a Gibson, the standard we should be aiming for if we want to progress.

Blimey your letting nostalgia take over. Gibbo was decent but Ray was never that great and was rightly replaced by Jon Shaw. 

If you gave me FF NP or Ray. Ray would be third on the list. 

1 hour ago, Robin Wood said:

That was very poor they didn't really have to work that hard to beat us

So what’s your point? What are you actually saying with this opening post? Everything is dreadful and we should sack the manager? Or are you just being negative for negative’s sake?

Given you posted “game over just a matter of how many” at 0-1 with Preston and an hour of football left to play, it’s pretty obvious to me that you another poster who apparently revels in negativity.

There was no lack of effort from our team today. There was a difference in quality and Leeds were set up very well to stop us playing. It’s not as though they had 80% possession and O’Leary made countless saves. We lost slenderly to a better team. It happens.

The lack of any perspective is infuriating.

7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Blimey your letting nostalgia take over. Gibbo was decent but Ray was never that great and was rightly replaced by Jon Shaw. 

If you gave me FF NP or Ray. Ray would be third on the list. 

If only Lansdown had opened his wallet and forked out for Fatty Foulke

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So what’s your point? What are you actually saying with this opening post? Everything is dreadful and we should sack the manager? Or are you just being negative for negative’s sake?

Given you posted “game over just a matter of how many” at 0-1 with Preston and an hour of football left to play, it’s pretty obvious to me that you another poster who apparently revels in negativity.

There was no lack of effort from our team today. There was a difference in quality and Leeds were set up very well to stop us playing. It’s not as though they had 80% possession and O’Leary made countless saves. We lost slenderly to a better team. It happens.

Well, Leeds had their strengths and we didn't lack effort. I try to take a measured view but I have to agree. Finishing poor, passing poor, decisions poor, goal conceded poor. We didn't get thrashed but we had too many poor things on show today. 

11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It is infuriating with a few. However we are now officially on an LJ run LLLLDL. We were beaten today by the better drilled better quality team that did not allow us to play, won all the big tackles and we did not have the drive or the mindset to dominate them. 

Tuesday now becomes a big game and then a rest can not come soon enough. Recharge for the 10 game run in!!

Not many city players came out with credit today . Think Semenyo would have been better starting against Ipswich as today was always going to be tough for him also Callum Odowda  has been poor in the last four games I’m wondering if he wants to leave as he won’t sign a contract so perhaps we should play Ellison over him 

34 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

You and I have gone up and down with Taylor 100 times so with that put to one side, I agree with everything else. Stop the rot on Tuesday and have a good long break by which time we MIGHT have Korey fit. 

Disappointed that we didn’t show today. But we can still do this. All this we are not top 8 top 10 bollocks is embarrassing. We can be easily a top six team but we have to show up.

Were you listening after the game?

too much information.

Archived