IGNORED

Oh dear

Robin Wood

JoeAman08

I think you've said what I believe but in a slightly different way.

LJ is too concerned with how the opponents play and does not concentrate on how we play/set up.

That's two home games in a row where the players seem overawed by the other side when neither were miles ahead of us.

When are we going to take the game to the other side instead of having to react in second half to catch up.

And madness playing Semenyo at the start.

6 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Perhaps folk can now understand that when we were on our unbeaten run why some of us were sceptical that this team was promotion quality.  For those of us who remember the team that last lifted the club out of this level, the present team looked seriously light in at least three of the four key positions, viz goalie, centre half, playmaker, and centre forward.

That said the coaching staff will have learnt from this season and from games like today against a team that may well go up.  Hopefully they can put this knowledge to good effect next season.  Perhaps the most important lesson being that if you won't, or can't, strengthen the squad in January then you must start in August with a team you feel confident will be serious promotion contenders, and that means addressing those four key positions this coming summer.

Are you sure that the coaching team have learnt from this season? What makes you so sure?

I cannot see any improvement. LJ continues to drop horrible clangers with team selection and tactics.

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Few things for me.

1) Leeds weren’t very good. Seen better football and better presses over the years. Good side but not a top 2 side over the last 3-4 seasons imo. 

2) We showed them far too much respect. Like in the back of our minds we could not play football around them but there were spaces we did not exploit. 

3) Quite a few players who did not get out of first gear. Now I sit in Dolman and see lots of our fullbacks. Jay Dasilva did not break a sweat today and was very lazy and far too casual. Not the only one though. Looked like Leeds wanted it more

4) Quite a few look jaded. Pack, Brownhill and O’Dowda to name a few. Luckily we have a break coming up but I’d still be tempted to maybe rest Pack for say Walsh against Ipswich. Anyway back to today, Brownhill and Pack especially kept dropping deep instead of running and finding space behind their midfield(Pato too). This lead to 6 at the back and 4 up top a lot. Think this was the big symtom of fatigue. 

5) Not a go at LJ but thought he picked a terrible game to throw Semenyo out on the wing. Missed Weimann and though Andi would/could have exploited the channels today. They played a high line and when pressed we lumped to Fam. The channels were an option but no one running them. 

The disappointing thing was we could have beat Leeds. They created very little and their goal was mistakes on our part rather than good football. We were just a bit lazy and too worried about them being Leeds and how they play. 

Agree, it's almost  like there are teams we have almost lost the game before we have even started due to past reputation glories etc, Wolves are another, don't know if we will ever get over our seeming inferiority complex but hope I live long enough to be there when we shove marching on together up their a**.

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Are you sure that the coaching team have learnt from this season? What makes you so sure?

I cannot see any improvement. LJ continues to drop horrible clangers with team selection and tactics.

You are right of course

I was just trying to find something hopeful to say, given that we now appear to be in a typical Johnson downturn

12 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Maybe some teams are just better than us and today Leeds were

I dont think anyone is denying that but Wolves were better as were Norwich but we gave both a good game. Today we just seemed to accept defeat and put in a very weak performance.

1 hour ago, Super said:

I dont think anyone is denying that but Wolves were better as were Norwich but we gave both a good game. Today we just seemed to accept defeat and put in a very weak performance.

I have to agree. As much as Leeds made it difficult with their press, we were really poor for large parts of this game. We were slow and sloppy in our passing by comparison, and as well as the set up and selection of Semenyo over Weimann for such a big game being wrong, a number of players had their worst games in a while. We offered nothing down the wings and other than a corner in the first half we didn't have a cross into the box. We were also undone by Ayling for the cross leading to the goal in exactly the same manner as Wolves had managed against us (wide down our left side with Da Silva being dragged centrally) which smacks of teams getting wise to a weakness, and us not learning.

Players who did come out with credit yesterday were Bailey Wright for his defending, although he offers nothing going forward, and Diedhiou who had his best game at home in ages, despite the constant fouling by Jansson & Cooper, their centre backs. He actually held the ball up well, played it off to a teammate, far more than usual, plus won some headers to flick on, one of which led on to Taylor's chance to lob their keeper. Yes he had a difficult chance that he didn't take, but the rest of his game was good.

Puts the pressure on to get a win against Ipswich. Otherwise by the end of the month, after the game at Bramall Lane, we could be down in 10th or 11th, overtaken by teams who appear to be on form (Forest, Preston & Brentford).

9 hours ago, pillred said:

Agree, it's almost  like there are teams we have almost lost the game before we have even started due to past reputation glories etc, Wolves are another, don't know if we will ever get over our seeming inferiority complex but hope I live long enough to be there when we shove marching on together up their a**.

It is annoying and how many times do they sing it? Up there with Millwall and no one likes us ?

3 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I have to agree. As much as Leeds made it difficult with their press, we were really poor for large parts of this game. We were slow and sloppy in our passing by comparison, and as well as the set up and selection of Semenyo over Weimann for such a big game being wrong, a number of players had their worst games in a while. We offered nothing down the wings and other than a corner in the first half we didn't have a cross into the box. We were also undone by Ayling for the cross leading to the goal in exactly the same manner as Wolves had managed against us (wide down our left side with Da Silva being dragged centrally) which smacks of teams getting wise to a weakness, and us not learning.

Players who did come out with credit yesterday were Bailey Wright for his defending, although he offers nothing going forward, and Diedhiou who had his best game at home in ages, despite the constant fouling by Jansson & Cooper, their centre backs. He actually held the ball up well, played it off to a teammate, far more than usual, plus won some headers to flick on, one of which led on to Taylor's chance to lob their keeper. Yes he had a difficult chance that he didn't take, but the rest of his game was good.

Puts the pressure on to get a win against Ipswich. Otherwise by the end of the month, after the game at Bramall Lane, we could be down in 10th or 11th, overtaken by teams who appear to be on form (Forest, Preston & Brentford).

A bit different yesterday.  Semenyo was “marking” Ayling, against Wolves it was our LB v their RB.  If Semenyo tracks Ayling no goal, and proper defensive set up.

17 hours ago, shelts said:

Thought Leeds had an easy ride today . Set up well and deserved all three points 

They were better than us - it’s that simple. Quicker to the ball, pressing better,forcing City into giving the ball back to them.........:facepalm:

Their antics were ugly to watch and reminded me of a Colin’s team but they got  the job done.... ..:dunno:

17 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

5) Not a go at LJ but thought he picked a terrible game to throw Semenyo out on the wing. Missed Weimann and though Andi would/could have exploited the channels today. They played a high line and when pressed we lumped to Fam. The channels were an option but no one running them.

I don't understand why we had him on the wing, he doesn't look or play like a winger, he looks like a lad with Fammy's skill-set and a little more desire. I can't see how a striker being played on the wing is going to help him develop and if Fammy is undroppable for Semenyo then he'd be better off as an impact sub. 

I don't like to question LJ as he's certainly got a head for tactics but it doesn't mean he's playing the round peg, square hole game at times. I do wonder if he's back at that stage where his plans are not working out and he's already looking for another plan. Since arriving he's changed our style of play numerous times but none have been consistent enough over a full season yet. 

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't understand why we had him on the wing, he doesn't look or play like a winger, he looks like a lad with Fammy's skill-set and a little more desire. I can't see how a striker being played on the wing is going to help him develop and if Fammy is undroppable for Semenyo then he'd be better off as an impact sub. 

I don't like to question LJ as he's certainly got a head for tactics but it doesn't mean he's playing the round peg, square hole game at times. I do wonder if he's back at that stage where his plans are not working out and he's already looking for another plan. Since arriving he's changed our style of play numerous times but none have been consistent enough over a full season yet. 

Think the easy answer would be he played on the wing at Newport. That is a lazy argument though imo. From what i saw at Newport he was more like a forward than wide player with loads of defensive responsibilities. Also the difference in a L2 winger and RB to Hernandez and Ayling is massive. 

My problem with LJ and tactics is he changes them when he does not need to. We, imo, need a style of play at home. We can pretty much guarantee 90% of teams will come to AG to defend these days. Have a style to counter that. We don’t though we still focus on their one dangerous winger or striker. Save that for away games. Just my take anyway

@JoeAman08 and @Spike

I think Semenyo is a modern day forward....an inside / wide (contradiction) forward of the Thomas Muller positional type.  He doesn’t stay wide, he doesn’t play next to the striker....he needs to thrive on finding pockets wherever they are.  Wide left was a mistake, and his few moments of spark yesterday were 20 yards in from either touchline.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@JoeAman08 and @Spike

I think Semenyo is a modern day forward....an inside / wide (contradiction) forward of the Thomas Muller positional type.  He doesn’t stay wide, he doesn’t play next to the striker....he needs to thrive on finding pockets wherever they are.  Wide left was a mistake, and his few moments of spark yesterday were 20 yards in from either touchline.

Yea. Think he was given too much defensive responsibility yesterday. A team that will dominate possesion called for seasoned pros who are always switched on. He fell asleep once and they took 3 points. I don’t mind him playing wide but as you said more of a wide forward. Think he just needs to be an impact sub for this season. Though I imagine the experience yesterday was eye opening for him

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

They were better than us - it’s that simple. Quicker to the ball, pressing better,forcing City into giving the ball back to them.........:facepalm:

Their antics were ugly to watch and reminded me of a Colin’s team but they got  the job done.... ..:dunno:

We fell for their antics unfortunately. Better players know how to cheat, con , make a meal of it etc 

23 hours ago, REDOXO said:

You and I have gone up and down with Taylor 100 times so with that put to one side, I agree with everything else. Stop the rot on Tuesday and have a good long break by which time we MIGHT have Korey fit. 

Disappointed that we didn’t show today. But we can still do this. All this we are not top 8 top 10 bollocks is embarrassing. We can be easily a top six team but we have to show up.

Were you listening after the game?

was indeed, agreed with all you said

23 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yeah, we only have Kelly, Wright, Baker, Vyner and Moore who can step up.

Seriously? As the man in possession is Kalas, who is the best of all our defenders, then we'd be weaker by introducing either Baker or Wright, Kelly has a lot more to learn and toughen up, then relying on unproven rookies in Moore and Vyner. Yes we have numbers and cover but not on a par with Kalas.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Seriously? As the man in possession is Kalas, who is the best of all our defenders, then we'd be weaker by introducing either Baker or Wright, Kelly has a lot more to learn and toughen up, then relying on unproven rookies in Moore and Vyner. Yes we have numbers and cover but not on a par with Kalas.

The assertation was that we are light at CB.

That is patently not the case.

I didn't say any of the players were of the standard of Kalas.

On 09/03/2019 at 17:50, Ivorguy said:

the present team looked seriously light in at least three of the four key positions, viz goalie, centre half, playmaker, and centre forward.

On 09/03/2019 at 18:31, Ivorguy said:

None of those are anywhere near Prem standard.  Two of them can't command a regular place on our bench, one is on loan to a club fighting relegation, one is over the hill, and the other has never reached the hill. If we go with one of those we shall have seriously weakened the side from the one we currently enjoy

I didn't claim any of them to be Prem standard, you have changed what you were saying.

Also said "present team" and said "well Kalas is gone in the summer" (paraphrasing)...

21 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

The assertation was that we are light at CB.

That is patently not the case.

I didn't say any of the players were of the standard of Kalas.

I didn't claim any of them to be Prem standard, you have changed what you were saying.

Also said "present team" and said "well Kalas is gone in the summer" (paraphrasing)...

I understand that you didn't say that any of those players were of the standard of Kalas. What you implied was that, if Kalas was not here, we would not be weakened by his departure  or, that we would be as strong. I believe we would be considerably worse off, until and a big if, any of those players became as good as Kalas. Sadly that is what happens to our club, one step forward and three quarters of a step backwards. Hopefully we will produce enough players in one season that we can keep hold of, to take us to the promised land.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I understand that you didn't say that any of those players were of the standard of Kalas. What you implied was that, if Kalas was not here, we would not be weakened by his departure  or, that we would be as strong. I believe we would be considerably worse off, until and a big if, any of those players became as good as Kalas. Sadly that is what happens to our club, one step forward and three quarters of a step backwards. Hopefully we will produce enough players in one season that we can keep hold of, to take us to the promised land.

No I didn't.

I said we have depth.

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:07, JamesBCFC said:

No I didn't.

I said we have depth.

So by stating we have depth, did you mean strength in depth or, just that we had depth?  Because it sure seemed as if you were implying by saying we had depth, that we'd be alright for CBs, as we have plenty of them.

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

So by stating we have depth, did you mean strength in depth or, just that we had depth?  Because it sure seemed as if you were implying by saying we had depth, that we'd be alright for CBs, as we have plenty of them.

I didn't claim that any are as good as Kalas, though he isn't our best CB. But Wright, Baker and even Kelly are capable to a good degree in the Championship, so while not as good (at this point in time) they are all more than adequate cover for CB.

I'd say that's probably reasonable strength in depth, if all of the players were at the level of Vyner or Moore at this point then it's just depth.

And, yes we are fine for CBs, especially as Hunt and Pisano have shown they can perform there in a pinch, do we need more than 7 players at the club who are good in that position?

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:07, JamesBCFC said:

No I didn't.

I said we have depth.

"Yeah, we only have Kelly, Wright, Baker, Vyner and Moore who can step up". Is what you said.

Implying that any of those could "step up" as you put it without having a negative effect. I'm saying that even with those players, plus Pisano (who might depart anyway) and Hunt, we'd be weaker at CB. I'm not nit picking, just pointing out how good Kalas is, in my opinion, and he'd be very hard to replace, should we miss out on him.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

"Yeah, we only have Kelly, Wright, Baker, Vyner and Moore who can step up". Is what you said.

Implying that any of those could "step up" as you put it without having a negative effect. I'm saying that even with those players, plus Pisano (who might depart anyway) and Hunt, we'd be weaker at CB. I'm not nit picking, just pointing out how good Kalas is, in my opinion, and he'd be very hard to replace, should we miss out on him.

"Step in" would probably have been better wording then. 

Equally, the players may not be as good as Kalas at this point in time, but that doesn't equal a negative effect. Player partnerships can make up for a drop off in quality of one individual.

Man for man the team would be a little weaker (more so if we're talking Moore or Vyner), but would the negative effect be particularly big? I doubt it. A handful of points over the season perhaps.

53 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

"Step in" would probably have been better wording then. 

Equally, the players may not be as good as Kalas at this point in time, but that doesn't equal a negative effect. Player partnerships can make up for a drop off in quality of one individual.

Man for man the team would be a little weaker (more so if we're talking Moore or Vyner), but would the negative effect be particularly big? I doubt it. A handful of points over the season perhaps.

Equally, it's surprising what one player can do for a team. Just imagine if we could have added one of, a top class striker, a good keeper, or a dominant goal scoring midfielder.

Archived