IGNORED

Bielsa...

Silvio Dante

With all the hype and his disciples such as Pep, it’s fair to say there was a bit of anticipation as to what Bielsa would bring.

What I don’t think anyone expected was an Argentine Neil Warnock.

The last team I recall playing in such a cynical and frankly anti-football manner were Rotherham in the infamous game with Greg Halford. But you could almost understand that - they had limited ability. Leeds have more.

For avoidance of doubt they deserved the win - we set up wrong, played poorly and they were a better side. But god, if the fans have to watch football of that style every week I pity them irrespective of position.

The tactics outside of gamesmanship didn’t even seem revolutionary - let the back line have it, press hard on the midfield and try and force a long ball or a rushed pass to be eaten up by the big lads at the back.

Today was disappointing. But what’s really disappointing is that we didn’t have the nous or courage to play fast, front foot football and instead played into some fairly basic tactical hands.

It wasn’t pretty but Biesla’s job is to get promotion. That’s the sort of away performance, against a top 6 team, that does the job. If the situation was reversed and City had won 1-0 away to Leeds then the forum would be awash with comments about what a wonderful performance it was. 

I don't buy this Warnock team either - some other bloke on RB said they were a Warnock team as well - I thought they just worked harder than us.

They played the ball quicker, pressed faster.

As for all the fouls - we weren't exactly blameless - was scrappy from both.

We would have drawn if Semenyo hadn't lost his man in the opening 10. This was probably the right result.

They're on the tele every other week so I think having seen them a number of times, it's fair to say they're capable of being way more entertaining than us. As mentioned above Bielsa's priority at this point in the season is to get them up, not entertain u s, and I thought from that perspective they were outstanding today. Never gave us a sniff.

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

That free kick leading to Alioski's booking...

Has football really come to that? I'm out

Anyone else see him just before FT ask the ref how long left, and walk away celebrating before the whistle?

And who was their guy at the end going absolutely ape shit in front of his fans too? Bloody hell!

They might be good, but they are such assholes. 

25 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

With all the hype and his disciples such as Pep, it’s fair to say there was a bit of anticipation as to what Bielsa would bring.

What I don’t think anyone expected was an Argentine Neil Warnock.

The last team I recall playing in such a cynical and frankly anti-football manner were Rotherham in the infamous game with Greg Halford. But you could almost understand that - they had limited ability. Leeds have more.

For avoidance of doubt they deserved the win - we set up wrong, played poorly and they were a better side. But god, if the fans have to watch football of that style every week I pity them irrespective of position.

The tactics outside of gamesmanship didn’t even seem revolutionary - let the back line have it, press hard on the midfield and try and force a long ball or a rushed pass to be eaten up by the big lads at the back.

Is anyone really that surprised? I think the word is out there in the footballing world that that is the way to beat us. Even the likes of Rotherham and Bolton manage to use it against us successfully.

We need more muscle/ nouse if we are to make it out of this division 

2 minutes ago, Bernard Lerring said:

Is anyone really that surprised? I think the word is out there in the footballing world that that is the way to beat us. Even the likes of Rotherham and Bolton manage to use it against us successfully.

We need more muscle/ nouse if we are to make it out of this division 

Get your point, but since when has losing been a success?

Gave us no options on the ball, closed us down for the full 90 minutes, got a very good 3 points at a tough away game with not too many games left. Yeah I'd say he did his job.

6 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Come back Tuesday - Alioski won't be there. Cole Skuse will be there.

Kept Craig Bellamy quiet there, I'm sure Andi Weimann won't be a problem ?

Don't really see Bielsa as akin to Warnock.

We were poor, flat and lacked a spark plus momentum. That said Leeds didn't let us build any, as in first half they out footballed us, 2nd half they shut us out and slowed it down when necessary- ie substitutes going off slowly, player down injured.

Aspects of Warnock 2nd half maybe but they were better on the day and won. Don't recall us having huge pressure or numbers of chances at all- their defensive structure played a role of course.

49 minutes ago, reddoc said:

They're on the tele every other week so I think having seen them a number of times, it's fair to say they're capable of being way more entertaining than us. As mentioned above Bielsa's priority at this point in the season is to get them up, not entertain u s, and I thought from that perspective they were outstanding today. Never gave us a sniff.

Lj got completely outhought today, Bielsa is smart and wily, and at 37 Lj is still learning.............however he needs to sort out some glaringly obvious problems, and surely any coach worth his place can motivate and organise a home side to turn up in the first half of games?  Our lacklustre first half performances are becoming so predictable and dull? , we then have to spend the second half digging ourselves out!  The constant LJ mantra pre season was " Stremgth in depth" however he forgot to include an in depth strike force..........we have been fortunate that Famara has managed to stay fit and injury free, as there was no real back up plan in place.  We are a middle table to top ten side, who will do well to reach the top 6.  However lets hope LJ is taking note of his mistakes and that he will progress as a coach, and maybe with Lansdowns backing either 2020 or 2021 might be our year?

34 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

They’re considerably better than a Warnock team. Not a fan of the theatrics and all that but their pressing and work off the ball is nothing short of exceptional. They must have won 90% of 50/50s 

Highest possession in the division too...not really typical of Warnock's sides, quite the opposite in that respect if anything.

There's a few Leeds fans who post on here who likely remember Warnock managing them- interested to know their take on similarities or lack thereof.

I thought this thread was going to be about wgat an absolute oddball the bloke is. From his tv interviews I've always found him strange and sat behind him today onky confirmed it.

He was pacing around in circles like that old polar bear at Bristol Zoo. 

Also did anyone else see him after their goal when he walked in front of LJ and just stood there at the front of our technical area? Lee shoved him twice then had to get the 4th official to move him on

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I thought this thread was going to be about wgat an absolute oddball the bloke is. From his tv interviews I've always found him strange and sat behind him today onky confirmed it.

He was pacing around in circles like that old polar bear at Bristol Zoo. 

Also did anyone else see him after their goal when he walked in front of LJ and just stood there at the front of our technical area? Lee shoved him twice then had to get the 4th official to move him on

Didn`t he get booked or was that someone else on their bench?

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Highest possession in the division too...not really typical of Warnock's sides, quite the opposite in that respect if anything.

There's a few Leeds fans who post on here who likely remember Warnock managing them- interested to know their take on similarities or lack thereof.

Just to clarify, I meant Warnock-esque in the shithousery. The tactics are different (if not revolutionary). The need for the gamesmanship is far less in view of that.

Scrappy game today imo, neither side passed particularly well, difficult conditions from the look of the stream but at our best the football is a joy to watch, as far from WarnockBall as you will get, some of our 1 touch passing moves this season have been far above Championship level.

Bielsa has worked absolute miracles, bottom 3 of the form table all of 2018 till Bielsa arrived, amazing transformation.

I didn’t think Leeds were anything too special on the ball, but out of possession they were as good as you will see.

The pressure they put on the ball led to so many sloppy passes and aimless hoofs up the pitch. Reminded me a bit of City at our best last season, although Leeds were up another level again from that.

I’m not sure Leeds are ever going to win any awards as a club liked by anyone other than their own fans, but I to say I would like them to get promoted. Firstly to see what their undisputedly brilliant manager could do in the Premier League next season, but I also have a slight complex with clubs like Watford, Bournemouth and Brighton as they serve as constant reminders of City’s inability to get up to that level.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Colin warnock

So far removed from bielsa its silly, warnock produced some of the worst football ever comitted in a white shirt.

we was far far far far far far from our best today.

job was needed to be done, it got done.

there was chile flag in your stand today that could well be from a bielsa fan, they have been turning up at Elland road all season, first  home game saw some marsielle fans in for example.

they have shown up from south america and spain.

he is loved world wide, i can now see why fans do follow him after he has left their respective clubs.

i think you have to have experience what he does to get it......

been a few games this season where the quality ......with some average players by comparison to the past.....has been harking back to 92 when we won the league or 1998 to 2002

was a 30 min spell at SWFC away when we looked unstoppable we drew 1-1...dream like football

read up on the bloke pre leeds, look at for example his training footage and his interviews.

just forget hes with LUFC....dont let LUFC cloud things

i hope one day all clubs get a chance with someone like this bloke.

wether we go up or not its been a ******* pleasure to have him

cheers

Archived