IGNORED

Booing at half time

Jacki

In that first half we couldn't do the absolute basics right. Slapdash and embarrassing. 

Maybe once or twice strung 3+ passes together. That's a problem between the ears and that's not acceptable. 

Not a fan of booing but understandable.

23 hours ago, Shtanley said:

You're right I suppose. A lack of experiencing booing having a positive effect on a team. 

You don't have to express discontent in a manner that negatively effects the team and atmosphere.

Yep! Can you imagine if everyone went mental and got behind the team? Like we did in the old days East End etc, it would certainly turn most home defeats into a win.

Bollocks... The players and LJ need to man the **** up, critism is part of every work place and with out it standards would be very poor... 

Play like a bunch of bottlers and rightly you should be booed, I can’t undertand the mentality of people these days, why must everything and everybody be wrapped in cotton wool, quite frankly I find it pathetic!!

19 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Yep! Can you imagine if everyone went mental and got behind the team? Like we did in the old days East End etc, it would certainly turn most home defeats into a win.

It comes down to effort and energy I guess. The amount of people around me in the SS who never join in the songs Section 82 often start. Rarely get pumped up or shout when a player does something good. 

But they'll happily find energy and effort out of nowhere to boo or moan when a player makes a mistake or if the team is underperforming.

I think some fans find it hard to differentiate between effort and success. If we're not winning it must be because the players aren't trying hard enough. BOOOO!

21 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

It comes down to effort and energy I guess. The amount of people around me in the SS who never join in the songs Section 82 often start. Rarely get pumped up or shout when a player does something good. 

But they'll happily find energy and effort out of nowhere to boo or moan when a player makes a mistake or if the team is underperforming.

I think some fans find it hard to differentiate between effort and success. If we're not winning it must be because the players aren't trying hard enough. BOOOO!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, far to many City fans are happy that this club will always be the bridesmaid and have a huge list of excuses for us not making the most of great league positions (this year and last) and performance.

Unfortunately until this mentality changes then this club will just bumble along!

40 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

Bollocks... The players and LJ need to man the **** up, critism is part of every work place and with out it standards would be very poor... 

Play like a bunch of bottlers and rightly you should be booed, I can’t undertand the mentality of people these days, why must everything and everybody be wrapped in cotton wool, quite frankly I find it pathetic!!

Exactly anyone forking out thirty odd quid to watch that city performance is well within his rights

1 hour ago, Lucan said:

If I feel like booing I don't have to "justify" myself to anyone.  I don't need to explain myself to a bunch of forum-dwellers that's for sure...

I don’t expect you to because nothing you say can excuse it. It’s embarrassing for a team in 6th (as we were) and punching above their weight to be boo’d. The players haven’t suddenly decided to play sh*t they are just going through a bad spell. We’ve just gone 15 games unbeaten it’s funny how quick that is forgotten.

now if we lose tomorrow night I’ll be disappointed because Ipswich are awful, but I still don’t think it excuses any kind of booing or abuse as ultimately every single one of us would have took this position ar this stage at the start of the season

1 hour ago, KeepUpLino said:

We were playing one of the best teams in the league ffs. It’s not about cotton wool it’s about respecting the effort that’s gone into getting us where we are.

anyone who thinks booing is in any way beneficial to our team right now is just dumb I’m afraid. Believe it or not sometimes things just don’t go right on a pitch and some people may interpret  that as “bottling” but I very much doubt that’s the case. Imagine giving your all, and things aren’t going your way, frustration starting to kick in and then to top it off your SUPPORTERS boo you off the pitch! Real motivational that isn’t it...

i sakd it earlier and I’ll say it again, back in the GJ season when we didn’t expect to be anywhere near the top of the league and we truly did “bottle” a good position there was none of this toxicity. We genuinely enjoyed the rollercoaster and got behind the team. We conceded? The ground erupted with SUPPORT. That is what is needed right now not entitled idiots booing.

50 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, far to many City fans are happy that this club will always be the bridesmaid and have a huge list of excuses for us not making the most of great league positions (this year and last) and performance.

Unfortunately until this mentality changes then this club will just bumble along!

The last thing a team needs is to be booed, what they should have is support to lift them, but the problem is all seater's  stadium, cosy surroundings and the 'affluence' of the supporter that can afford to go, that's not the blood and guts supporter, they are the ones that cant afford  the prices, football was a working mans game, now it is just for the well heeled in the main, they would be that last to do anything but sit tight.    

I am afraid Bristol the City is just to lilly white liberal...IF the club really want the fans to make a noise slash prices, get the right stuff in.....

On 10/03/2019 at 01:00, pillred said:

so are you saying the players are above criticism and the fans are not allowed to show any displeasure ever, and if so pray tell me oh learned one when I can voice my displeasure.

Perhaps when they aren’t (over a season) over performing beyond expectations despite a number of key injuries and limited reinforcement in January, and still hold the outcome of their season in their own hands. If You were generally over performing at work and people started to turn on you after a couple of bad days I don’t think you’d feel too motivated - and no the amount of pay doesn’t stop a humans emotions before you mention how much they earn

6 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Perhaps when they aren’t (over a season) over performing beyond expectations despite a number of key injuries and limited reinforcement in January, and still hold the outcome of their season in their own hands. If You were generally over performing at work and people started to turn on you after a couple of bad days I don’t think you’d feel too motivated - and no the amount of pay doesn’t stop a humans emotions before you mention how much they earn

Is that based on a 40-60hr a week on shit pay or based on a 2-4hr on good pay?

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

On the whole the fans have been VERY patient over the last two seasons even when we lost 8 games in a row last season, again this season there has been little dissatisfaction, the last two games have on the whole been very disappointing and as such imo the crowd on these occasions have every right too show the players they are not happy, perhaps you have been lucky never to have received criticism I have and the players at the club should not expect to be totally immune to it. 

3 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

This.

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

We were playing one of the best teams in the league ffs. It’s not about cotton wool it’s about respecting the effort that’s gone into getting us where we are.

anyone who thinks booing is in any way beneficial to our team right now is just dumb I’m afraid. Believe it or not sometimes things just don’t go right on a pitch and some people may interpret  that as “bottling” but I very much doubt that’s the case. Imagine giving your all, and things aren’t going your way, frustration starting to kick in and then to top it off your SUPPORTERS boo you off the pitch! Real motivational that isn’t it...

i sakd it earlier and I’ll say it again, back in the GJ season when we didn’t expect to be anywhere near the top of the league and we truly did “bottle” a good position there was none of this toxicity. We genuinely enjoyed the rollercoaster and got behind the team. We conceded? The ground erupted with SUPPORT. That is what is needed right now not entitled idiots booing.

Unfortunately imho the atmosphere at the Gate (and at a lot of football in general in England) has changed a great deal, even since then.  Most of the time the atmosphere now is pretty much mute in comparison to back then and that siege mentality that we used to have has just disappeared off the face of a cliff, save for the very occasional occurrence.  It’s the sanitisation of the Gate and of football in this country in general. Massive shame imho on many levels, but no doubt many will disagree and will enjoy the new  ‘product’ that we now have. 

47 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Nonsensical argument. 

Not at all, you need to digest what my response was referring to. If you can’t work it out unfortunately I can’t help your limitations. 

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If you genuinely believe that footballers only work for 2-4 hours every week then you should probably withdraw from the debate while you're behind. 

I stand by it, maybe I know more then your narrow mind. I don’t need you or anyone to tell me whether i should withdraw from this debate. If you want to have a serious debate on this your welcome.

define: work

4 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

Crazy I know but in 2019, shockingly some people have developed the ability to consider whether something, be it booing or anything else, is actually a productive idea or just instinctively getting your anger off your chest.

Except @Lucan of course, who doesn’t have to justify himself to anyone.

2 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

Crazy I know but in 2019, shockingly some people have developed the ability to consider whether something, be it booing or anything else, is actually a productive idea or just instinctively getting your anger off your chest.

Except @Lucan of course, who doesn’t have to justify himself to anyone.

Stop being so nieve!! No one is immune from critism and nor should they be, the moment they are not you’ve got a very unhealthy eniviroment where complacencies run wild... 

I'm with the boooers here.

Let's be clear: this club would still be languishing somewhere in L1 were it not for those of us prepared to give the team both barrels when we decide they should get it. 

The only reason we slid from the top in 1980 to the bottom in 1982 was the absence of anyone prepared to let the players know what we think of them. Trust me, I was there.

Tonight, I won't be waiting till half-time, I'll be booing those wasters from Saturday while they warm up. Because I for one am not happy for City to bumble along where we are right now.

On 10/03/2019 at 00:41, pillred said:

maybe show players that are earning 15 to 20 thousand pounds a week that they are not earning their money, and are lucky to be where they are and maybe try a little harder on our behalf.

I've been going 40 years and City fans have been doing precisely what you describe there by booing and getting on the players' backs just about every one of those forty years and we have been, by and large, pretty shite and mediocre for 40 years.

Guess what: getting on the backs of your own players doesn't lead to improved performances and greater effort.

Maybe that isn't the aim, to get the team to do better: if it is the aim of the boooers - "I am only doing this for the good of the team" - then it is a bit thick to not grasp that it is counter-productive, a case of cutting your nose to spite your face. Keep doing the same thing and expecting different results, and all that.

Boo all you like but don't be surprised if the players' attitude is "*** you" and it does nothing positive for the team and the fortunes of this club.

15 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

That's what you believe and nothing will sway you from your belief.

To me, the long history of bumbling along at this club has **** all to do with supporters and everything to do with money and the acumen of the chief decision-makers at Ashton Gate.

But you keep booing, mate  

On 10/03/2019 at 00:36, pillred said:

Well said, you're right, but to some the players and however they perform are above any kind of criticism, bizarre but there you are. 

The head coach criticises them, quite a bit sometimes, even publicly. You might have missed this? Players get dropped, on the whole, if they do not perform; players are sold and moved, on the whole, on if they are not up to scratch; contracts are not renewed or offered, on the whole, for under-performing players. Opposing teams' fans offer their thoughts, too. Journalists and TV pundits and other media bods criticise players. Players on social media are offered the varying thoughts and criticisms of punters for their delight, and performance improvement. 

All forms of criticism. If you cannot see that pro footballers are subject to "criticism" - quite intense criticism - then, well, let's just say we might be wasting our time discussing all this.

I do not see that further "criticism," from the team's own "supporters," adds anything useful. Not for the player, or the team. Maybe for the boo-er? It reminds me of my misbehaving children when little and their mother and or me "criticising" them, and then the mother-in-law chipping in at the same time: the one being chided takes umbrage, stops listening, and learns nothing.

Players are under enough pressure from opposing teams and their supporters; when we turn on our own, we have joined them against ourselves. They need some one or some thing - a secure base - upon which they can rely for "support," knowing they will always back them, from which to go out in the competitive world of pro football and do their best.

I think this might be why "supporters" were first called this: I think we have a range of people that go to AG, some of whom are "supporters" and some more "consumers" (with all their rights, expectations and entitlements).

The exception to all this would be when players do not try or put in sufficient effort - then they can have both barrels - but I see no evidence of this this season.

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I've been going 40 years and City fans have been doing precisely what you describe there by booing and getting on the players' backs just about every one of those forty years and we have been, by and large, pretty shite and mediocre for 40 years.

Guess what: getting on the backs of your own players doesn't lead to improved performances and greater effort.

Maybe that isn't the aim, to get the team to do better: if it is the aim of the boooers - "I am only doing this for the good of the team" - then it is a bit thick to not grasp that it is counter-productive, a case of cutting your nose to spite your face. Keep doing the same thing and expecting different results, and all that.

Boo all you like but don't be surprised if the players' attitude is "*** you" and it does nothing positive for the team and the fortunes of this club.

nobody should be above criticism, are you saying then that no matter how bad the performance and no matter how long it goes on for the players should never receive an adverse reaction from the crowd, I'm pretty sure Lee Johnson lets the players know if they have been rubbish in a game at half time, it must work because on the whole second half performances are better so a rocket up their ar*e IE criticism does apparently work. 

Archived