IGNORED

Leeds fans

weepywall

On 10/03/2019 at 13:02, daored said:

I often wonder if Leeds fans even know the words. They seem to mumble through and then just belt out "marching on together" as loudly as they can before returning to a mumble.

I do also wish that we wouldn't revert to singing "we all hate leeds scum" when we play them. They revel in it and its one of the reasons they think they are so relevant to everyone - Most couldn't care less except when we are playing them.

Some of their fans can be gobshites as proved after the game, but most are simply making their way home and keep themselves to themselves.  Newcastle fans were far worse down the gate imo yet no one seems to really go on about it like they do with Leeds.

52 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I often wonder if Leeds fans even know the words. They seem to mumble through and then just belt out "marching on together" as loudly as they can before returning to a mumble.

I do also wish that we wouldn't revert to singing "we all hate leeds scum" when we play them. They revel in it and its one of the reasons they think they are so relevant to everyone - Most couldn't care less except when we are playing them.

Some of their fans can be gobshites as proved after the game, but most are simply making their way home and keep themselves to themselves.  Newcastle fans were far worse down the gate imo yet no one seems to really go on about it like they do with Leeds.

It was a song written in the early 1970s, maybe some of them don't.

17 hours ago, KBEES_ said:

Could have given Leeds the full away end as a starter. I think Leeds ate the only club to sell out every away allocation this season and with the restriction to 3,000 away fans in the prem, Leeds have the biggest away following in the country. Not that if the EPL gave bigger allocations others would not beat them.

The biggest travelling support would be Man Utd, they even have fans holed up in the Bobby Charlton wig section of the club shop in the Trafford Centre on match days.

Why? 

There was some poor behaviour last year. Plus it is a huge huge advantage for an opposing side to have 4.2k noisy fans which is why it won't happen at AG. That said after first half hour which you were loud, I thought you were alright but nothing amazing in terms of noise etc- bit quiet in fact.

On 10/03/2019 at 18:22, RedReynard said:

Do any Leeds fans actually come from Leeds? Seems to me they're just a very poor version of the Man Utd fanbase .

Few of them got off at Bath after having been wound a by a couple of young City lads who told them a few home truths. Arrogance for what........? Leeds......... ?

Equally there were a number of empty vessel City fans gesturing outside the pub near the ground after the game. I was walking between them and it was utterly hilarious. Ten yards and they could have been 'at it'. 

And I wonder what 'home truths' those brave City fans told the Leeds fans eh? I bet it was brutal.

On 10/03/2019 at 10:10, Portland Bill said:

I would imagine Leeds is the biggest ‘one club’ city in the country?

Must be good when everyone in a city can get behind one club.

On 10/03/2019 at 10:21, Verloc said:

Think it is. Newcastle is the other that springs to mind, though I know there are different definitions of "city" knocking about. I think the Geordies are more football-mad overall than the people of Leeds, partly because a number in Leeds follow the rugby league team, Leeds Rhinos, rather than Leeds United. 

It's anything but good.

Newcastle have Sunderland, and the way it is up there, might as well come from the same city such is the bleed of fans from Tyne to Wear.

Rhinos no longer has any effect on Leeds local support. It did when we were in League One and they were winning Super League, but now there's only one ticket that everyone wants and it isn't Headingley.

But back to the one team city thing you must all know about intra-city rivalry. At school you're either one or the other. Your life is defined by it, your friendships etc.So people become polarised and cities with two clubs get more fans than you would imagine given basic populations. Leeds have never been long term rivals with Bradford as our paths rarely crossed. Huddersfield think they have a rivalry but it's largely unrequited and their main antagonists are actually Barnsley. The nearest team we have any history with is in Manchester, 45 miles away. 

Having a one city club means that when times are bad your support can wither because there are no Monday morning arguments at work or school to keep the fire burning. If we an sell 40,000 tickets (and at the moment I think it could be more) then a rival club could certainly attract 25,000. Suddenly that's a whole lot more rivalry etc.

17 hours ago, KBEES_ said:

I used to dislike Leeds, because they were Leeds and was the fashionable thing to do. Similar to disliking Arsenal for being the worlds most boring club. Massive difference between Leeds and Arsenal, (notwithstanding the success) is the fans, love them or hate them Leeds have passionate noisy fans.

With regards to away fans in the home end, no problem whatsoever as long as they keep their heads down.

FKTS

KBees we know you’re Leeds mate, nearly as bad as the City fan that went on WACCOE pretending to be Leeds last week then admitted he’s a City fan.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Why? 

There was some poor behaviour last year. Plus it is a huge huge advantage for an opposing side to have 4.2k noisy fans which is why it won't happen at AG. That said after first half hour which you were loud, I thought you were alright but nothing amazing in terms of noise etc- bit quiet in fact.

Bristol City average over 20K and with Leeds in town, 24.5K, so 22,000 home fans and BCFC are concerned the advantage 20% of the crowd may give. That is an area of concern, home fans are not vocal enough to get behind the team.

A full allocation in the away end often helps build up the home fans and makes for a cracking atmosphere. 

On poor behaviour, I did hear the Bristol tough nuts attacked some scarfers in the Doleman Stand [Sp], will BCFC reduce capacity there? Also, some Leeds stranglers were picked off. I know that happens in Leeds, but still wrong.

7 hours ago, SR1 said:

Equally there were a number of empty vessel City fans gesturing outside the pub near the ground after the game. I was walking between them and it was utterly hilarious. Ten yards and they could have been 'at it'. 

And I wonder what 'home truths' those brave City fans told the Leeds fans eh? I bet it was brutal.

Actually to be fair,  the pseudo Northerners (Including one wearing a jacket complete with goggles in hood,  ?️‍♂️) wound themselves up by the young City kids not reacting to them being loud and obnoxious with their 'I say what i like and i like bloody well say' attitude being directed at them especially when they became quite aggressive.

Don't worry i've been around football long enough to know there are plenty in every club, us included. Point i was making was they seemed to come from Bath not Leeds!! Maybe a bigger fanbase is not so good when it attracts 'Outsiders' like this.

Anyway Petal you seem to have taken offence to every thread about Leeds on here. Surely it's time to toddle off and troll the Reading or Sheffield Utd forums now. Bristol City........ So last week!!!

13 hours ago, RedReynard said:

Actually to be fair,  the pseudo Northerners (Including one wearing a jacket complete with goggles in hood,  ?️‍♂️) wound themselves up by the young City kids not reacting to them being loud and obnoxious with their 'I say what i like and i like bloody well say' attitude being directed at them especially when they became quite aggressive.

Don't worry i've been around football long enough to know there are plenty in every club, us included. Point i was making was they seemed to come from Bath not Leeds!! Maybe a bigger fanbase is not so good when it attracts 'Outsiders' like this.

Anyway Petal you seem to have taken offence to every thread about Leeds on here. Surely it's time to toddle off and troll the Reading or Sheffield Utd forums now. Bristol City........ So last week!!!

Quite the opposite I think, but I'll leave others to judge, if they can be bothered.

On 12/03/2019 at 19:04, KBEES_ said:

Bristol City average over 20K and with Leeds in town, 24.5K, so 22,000 home fans and BCFC are concerned the advantage 20% of the crowd may give. That is an area of concern, home fans are not vocal enough to get behind the team.

A full allocation in the away end often helps build up the home fans and makes for a cracking atmosphere. 

On poor behaviour, I did hear the Bristol tough nuts attacked some scarfers in the Doleman Stand [Sp], will BCFC reduce capacity there? Also, some Leeds stranglers were picked off. I know that happens in Leeds, but still wrong.

Away fans- and this isn't purely a City thing, but true at many grounds in the country- tend to be noisier than home.

This is because they or decent numbers tend to drink well before game, they're allowed to stand enmass, harder to regulate foul language, bouncing etc.

Away fans tend to find it easier to create a noisy atmosphere in short. However I also agree that a large away following can spur on home fans...

The club though will never sell the whole away end, 4,200 to anyone and that's just how things have developed.

Didn't know scarfers got in...thought their tickets all cancelled. ?

Well I was in the Dolman and that's the first I've heard of it. You talking during the game or after? Can you expand...?

Stragglers? Really don't know that world so can't comment. Sounds not positive though.

On 12/03/2019 at 11:18, SR1 said:

It's anything but good.

Newcastle have Sunderland, and the way it is up there, might as well come from the same city such is the bleed of fans from Tyne to Wear.

Rhinos no longer has any effect on Leeds local support. It did when we were in League One and they were winning Super League, but now there's only one ticket that everyone wants and it isn't Headingley.

But back to the one team city thing you must all know about intra-city rivalry. At school you're either one or the other. Your life is defined by it, your friendships etc.So people become polarised and cities with two clubs get more fans than you would imagine given basic populations. Leeds have never been long term rivals with Bradford as our paths rarely crossed. Huddersfield think they have a rivalry but it's largely unrequited and their main antagonists are actually Barnsley. The nearest team we have any history with is in Manchester, 45 miles away. 

Having a one city club means that when times are bad your support can wither because there are no Monday morning arguments at work or school to keep the fire burning. If we an sell 40,000 tickets (and at the moment I think it could be more) then a rival club could certainly attract 25,000. Suddenly that's a whole lot more rivalry etc.

I'm not sure what's weirder, that post or the fact you believe it.

Leeds isn't a footballing city, never has been, never will be, if it wasn't for the satellite supporter clubs dotted around the country on the back of the Revie era you'd be average. Interesting that as a club in the 70s you needed to puts ads in the press in South Yorkshire begging for fans to come and see the "only top flight side" in the county, originality remains something you can't associate with Leeds.

4 hours ago, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

Leeds isn't a footballing city, never has been, never will be, if it wasn't for the satellite supporter clubs dotted around the country on the back of the Revie era you'd be average. Interesting that as a club in the 70s you needed to puts ads in the press in South Yorkshire begging for fans to come and see the "only top flight side" in the county, originality remains something you can't associate with Leeds.

Things change though. It's 2019, not the 1970s. 

On 16/03/2019 at 00:51, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

Sorry - just caught up with this.

Wish I hadn't though. Is that really a Sheffield Wednesday fan on a Bristol board waffling on about things that happened more than two generations beforehand? I'll give you a gold star for comedy, and one for desperation, 

But then apart from people continually knocking down all the 1960s carbuncles no-one's spent a penny on much of city centre Sheffield since the 70s so you can perhaps be forgiven for mentally still living in the era.

Archived