IGNORED

Beer exodus - Concourses & Fan Village closing 15 mins before KO today (Wigan)

Cov 77

Not so how popular this will be but lots of fans around me are getting exasperated about the now frankly ridiculous pre half time withdrawal to the bars , I sit in the south stand near the singers and for all the crap sometimes posted on here the atmosphere at the ground has been decent this year , I like a beer as much as anyone but I come to watch the football , some people always went down to the concourse a bit early but it is now beyond a joke , they are leaving earlier and earlier with the result that the atmosphere dies in the last five minutes or more and has coincided with opposition goals on more than one occasions , today was the worst yet , I know not a great half but in a half that lasted 49 minutes , the first guys moved on 36 minutes ! As soon as this started many other panicked and started to pile out as well , by 40 minutes still 9 minutes to the break the dolman and south stand corner was much depleted and atmosphere dropped dramatically, the Leeds fans who nearly to a man stayed intact could not believe what they saw singing ‘ Is there a fire drill ‘ , couple of lads in front of me left on 39 minutes and got back on 52 , stunning 

The players must wonder what on earth is going on , is it really so necessary to get in a beer or two that you leave in this case up to 13 minutes before half time instead of supporting the team in a top six championship clash . 

Probably people will say service is crap and slow and they need to get down there but why bother going if you miss great chunks of the game ? 

1 hour ago, Cov 77 said:

Not so how popular this will be but lots of fans around me are getting exasperated about the now frankly ridiculous pre half time withdrawal to the bars , I sit in the south stand near the singers and for all the crap sometimes posted on here the atmosphere at the ground has been decent this year , I like a beer as much as anyone but I come to watch the football , some people always went down to the concourse a bit early but it is now beyond a joke , they are leaving earlier and earlier with the result that the atmosphere dies in the last five minutes or more and has coincided with opposition goals on more than one occasions , today was the worst yet , I know not a great half but in a half that lasted 49 minutes , the first guys moved on 36 minutes ! As soon as this started many other panicked and started to pile out as well , by 40 minutes still 9 minutes to the break the dolman and south stand corner was much depleted and atmosphere dropped dramatically, the Leeds fans who nearly to a man stayed intact could not believe what they saw singing ‘ Is there a fire drill ‘ , couple of lads in front of me left on 39 minutes and got back on 52 , stunning 

The players must wonder what on earth is going on , is it really so necessary to get in a beer or two that you leave in this case up to 13 minutes before half time instead of supporting the team in a top six championship clash . 

Probably people will say service is crap and slow and they need to get down there but why bother going if you miss great chunks of the game ? 

That’s football nowadays,it’s entertainment and a day out I’m afraid 

Blimey, I thought everyone had headed to Durdle Door and f'kd off to Lime Regis when I saw the thread title. :) 

Agree its bloody annoying people cant wait a while for a f'ing pint, its like kids taking pocket money to a sweet shop. 

(although some of our first half  'displays' lately have been enough to turn anyone to drink ;)

More tea vicar? 

father_ted_uk.father_jack_hackett.jpg

1 hour ago, Cov 77 said:

Have you seen our first half performances of late?

I will never, ever understand the mentality of people who pay up to £40 for a ticket to watch the football and then choose to miss even a minute of the game. So much can - and does - happen in a even a few seconds of football. The early leavers must have far more exciting lives than me if they are so desperate to get back to them. The history of football is full of stories of late drama at games and we have our own - think Mansfield, Hartlepool, United. I would even go as far as to say that people who leave early (other than for legitimate reasons) aren’t true lovers of the game or their team.

Side note - the beer exodus is particularly frustrating in the family area, where it blocks the view for the kids.

10 hours ago, Cov 77 said:

It doesn't help that it takes 10 mins to get served a pint but what's wrong with people? If you can't neck a pint quick enough just smuggle a hip flask innit!

I'm in block E31....I leave on the half time whistle.....go to toilet.....Buy a Hot chocolate and still return in time for the start of the second half.....it can be done (although if everyone didn't go down early this would no longer be possible for me!.....). Sometimes I have to forgoe the Hot Chocolate if the cafe queues are too long....

At the end of the day people make their decisions and they have to be respected...I go to watch the football with my kids.....others go to watch the footy with their mates and have a few beers......C'est la vie!

21 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

It amazes me on the rare occasions I have to nip out for a pee during a game how many people are drinking in the concourse. 

I'm sure you don't see it on that scale at other grounds 

I nipped out for a slash at reading away and there were more in the concourse than in the away end!

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I will never, ever understand the mentality of people who pay up to £40 for a ticket to watch the football and then choose to miss even a minute of the game. So much can - and does - happen in a even a few seconds of football. The early leavers must have far more exciting lives than me if they are so desperate to get back to them. The history of football is full of stories of late drama at games and we have our own - think Mansfield, Hartlepool, United. I would even go as far as to say that people who leave early (other than for legitimate reasons) aren’t true lovers of the game or their team.

Side note - the beer exodus is particularly frustrating in the family area, where it blocks the view for the kids.

I think the same thing about people who leave 6 or 7minutes before the end of games, when you add it up over a season it's like missing 2 whole games ridiculous.

33 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

How do you know?

Because I go to a lot of football, not all at Ashton Gate,  plus when you watch on tv there never seems to be as many empty seats either side of half time as AG.

I've no actual facts to back this up, just personal experience.

I can remember at Wembley in our last paint trophy final, I popped out midway through the 2nd half and there were thousands stood around drinking, each to there own but seems an expensive way to have a drink to me. 

3 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Don’t know why people care so much about how others spend their time & money. 

Well in all fairness the OP did make that very clear, he cares because the atmosphere drops whilst the game is still being played which in turn probably doesn't help the players. 

As a non beer drinker I don't think I have a place in this debate but I can certainly see how the players may react mentally. Imagine breaking your back to compete with a top 3 team and you see John off to get a pint long before the half is up. That must be demoralising to know your own fans value getting a beer over watching you play. 

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Well in all fairness the OP did make that very clear, he cares because the atmosphere drops whilst the game is still being played which in turn probably doesn't help the players. 

As a non beer drinker I don't think I have a place in this debate but I can certainly see how the players may react mentally. Imagine breaking your back to compete with a top 3 team and you see John off to get a pint long before the half is up. That must be demoralising to know your own fans value getting a beer over watching you play. 

Doubt they take any notice of it whatsoever 

5 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Doubt they take any notice of it whatsoever 

Having watched Brownhill talk about the fans I'd dare to say that's wrong. He said just hearing the crowd singing is a massive boost, seeing them go for a pint rather than watch the football is likely to have the opposite effect. 

25 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Because I go to a lot of football, not all at Ashton Gate,  plus when you watch on tv there never seems to be as many empty seats either side of half time as AG.

I've no actual facts to back this up, just personal experience.

I can remember at Wembley in our last paint trophy final, I popped out midway through the 2nd half and there were thousands stood around drinking, each to there own but seems an expensive way to have a drink to me. 

I think you'll find that it happens all over the place, ( I agree its ridiculous to go to a game and not see it all). For my sins I've been to a couple of Cardiff games with a Cardiff season ticket holder mate of long standing, and loads of them go and drink in the concourse instead of watching the game. Also I've been to internationals and it happens there as well. It is madness!

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I think you'll find that it happens all over the place, ( I agree its ridiculous to go to a game and not see it all). For my sins I've been to a couple of Cardiff games with a Cardiff season ticket holder mate of long standing, and loads of them go and drink in the concourse instead of watching the game. Also I've been to internationals and it happens there as well. It is madness!

TBF I think I might have joined them if I was a Cardiff fan......

I know it happens everywhere, just been a bit surprised a few times at the shear numbers at City matches now and again 

Archived