IGNORED

Beer exodus - Concourses & Fan Village closing 15 mins before KO today (Wigan)

Cov 77

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

Might not be the urge to imbibe though.

Bear in mind we have an ageing fan base and they can only sit for 35 minutes or so before incontinence kicks in.

Speak for yourself mate ? Its a thing I have always said having come down the Gate for 60+ years now. I come for the football, the rest of the week I can drink myself senseless anywhere if I want. When I started in the East End in the late 50's we had one tea shack in the top corner. You young un's dont know you're born ????

On 09/03/2019 at 23:30, WhistleHappy said:

Blimey, I thought everyone had headed to Durdle Door and f'kd off to Lime Regis when I saw the thread title. :) 

Agree its bloody annoying people cant wait a while for a f'ing pint, its like kids taking pocket money to a sweet shop. 

(although some of our first half  'displays' lately have been enough to turn anyone to drink ;)

More tea vicar? 

father_ted_uk.father_jack_hackett.jpg

Could you please, please contact me in future before posting images of myself..

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

Does this mean I will be forced to watch the Downsy experience for an extra 15 minutes. Sorry bad move by the club treating us like children. 

No. Downsy is obviously there to amuse the children. This is what I don't understand when people criticising him on here, he's not there for us 30/40/50+ year olds, he is there to get the kids excited. I don't find anything he does particularly interesting, so I chat to the people around me, I am not his target audience. If he wasn't there, the criticism would be that "there is nothing for kids" and the next generation is as important as us.

1 hour ago, winsaw said:

Got a feeling all it will do is get more people drinking in the pubs around the ground and all turning up last minute to get in which will be even more disruption than usual, hope to be proved wrong

Before I joined the supporters club (as was) I used to drink in the Coopers and walk up with the other City fans to AG 10 mins before ko. On a nice day we’d buy some cans from the corner shop and sit on the wall of Greville  Smyth Park.

With AG being all seater stadium there’s no need to arrive early as in the old days and these days I have one pre match pint in the SC&T bar.Any more and I need a slash before half time........ it’s an age thing.........:facepalm:

Closing the bars 15mins before ko is an excellent idea and as others have said it’ll give the time for the atmosphere to build up.

1 hour ago, oldstandrobin said:

Speak for yourself mate ? Its a thing I have always said having come down the Gate for 60+ years now. I come for the football, the rest of the week I can drink myself senseless anywhere if I want. When I started in the East End in the late 50's we had one tea shack in the top corner. You young un's dont know you're born ????

Being a young 'un is relative OSR.

I'm an OAP as of 2 months ago, although luckily continence issues have not beset me - not yet anyway - although it's clear from RR's post that not all have complete control of their waterworks and proves my point.

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Before I joined the supporters club (as was) I used to drink in the Coopers and walk up with the other City fans to AG 10 mins before ko. On a nice day we’d buy some cans from the corner shop and sit on the wall of Greville  Smyth Park.

With AG being all seater stadium there’s no need to arrive early as in the old days and these days I have one pre match pint in the SC&T bar.Any more and I need a slash before half time........ it’s an age thing.........:facepalm:

Closing the bars 15mins before ko is an excellent idea and as others have said it’ll give the time for the atmosphere to build up.

On 10/03/2019 at 08:42, ChippenhamRed said:

I will never, ever understand the mentality of people who pay up to £40 for a ticket to watch the football and then choose to miss even a minute of the game. So much can - and does - happen in a even a few seconds of football. The early leavers must have far more exciting lives than me if they are so desperate to get back to them. The history of football is full of stories of late drama at games and we have our own - think Mansfield, Hartlepool, United. I would even go as far as to say that people who leave early (other than for legitimate reasons) aren’t true lovers of the game or their team.

Side note - the beer exodus is particularly frustrating in the family area, where it blocks the view for the kids.

Kids shouldn’t be drinking beer at football matches . 

:disapointed2se:

14 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

What the **** is the point in doing this if you’re going to absolutely blare the same music every week over the PA before a game? Not a hope in hell of conjuring up an atmosphere over that.

Nothing wrong with Massive Attack in the 10 mins before kick off in my opinion 

8 hours ago, Selred said:

No, you can stay in the concourse.

Why anyone is still buying a pint 15mins before kick off is beyond me. Surely you’re there to watch the game. 

Personally I get the P&R so get to the ground just after 1. After I've had a KFC that leaves about a hour for drinks. I always buy a pint about 2.45 to walk into the ground with and drink before I take my seats. 

I take my seats just as the players are coming onto the pitch. There is absolutely zero reason for me to take my seats early.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Spot on.

Last 10 mins? It should go off!

I actually think this is a great idea.

Perhaps someone knows who to suggest this to who could actually action it?

There’s no loss of money on advertising surely?

If it was deadly silent, even on one occasion (to trial, perhaps even unannounced), it would be interesting to see what happens. Someone somewhere is bound to want to create a bit of noise❓❓❓

7 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I actually think this is a great idea.

Perhaps someone knows who to suggest this to who could actually action it?

There’s no loss of money on advertising surely?

If it was deadly silent, even on one occasion (to trial, perhaps even unannounced), it would be interesting to see what happens. Someone somewhere is bound to want to create a bit of noise❓❓❓

It would be very interesting to see.

Actually think the idea of encouragement to wear red, seats early via the 15 minute initiative? All good!

However that music blaring as it was- there was the odd useful song perhaps in terms of helping to build an atmosphere- but overall I looked around and I could see Singing Section especially trying to get going but being drowned out!? Mad.

The one exception I might say is "One for the Bristol City" as fair enough. Tradition, relevance- but beyond that for a game where you want to encourage the best possible vocal support, best possible conditions for this?

Just switch it off!

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It would be very interesting to see.

Actually think the idea of encouragement to wear red, seats early via the 15 minute initiative? All good!

However that music blaring as it was- there was the odd useful song perhaps- but overall I looked around and I could see Singing Section especially trying to get going but being drowned out!? Mad.

The one exception I might say is "One for the Bristol City" as fair enough. Tradition, relevance- but beyond that for a game where you want to encourage the best possible vocal support, best possible conditions for this?

Just switch it off!

Play this before the intro music after some silence. Got to be worth a shout, surely?

**** that shitehouse tannoy system. It’s quite unanimous to say that in all parts of the ground, it grates.

On 10/03/2019 at 11:29, Spike said:

Well in all fairness the OP did make that very clear, he cares because the atmosphere drops whilst the game is still being played which in turn probably doesn't help the players. 

As a non beer drinker I don't think I have a place in this debate but I can certainly see how the players may react mentally. Imagine breaking your back to compete with a top 3 team and you see John off to get a pint long before the half is up. That must be demoralising to know your own fans value getting a beer over watching you play. 

If any player is noticing people leaving near half time they really aren't on there game. They should be noticing where the ball or opposition is 

Archived