IGNORED

Beer exodus - Concourses & Fan Village closing 15 mins before KO today (Wigan)

Cov 77

5 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I will never, ever understand the mentality of people who pay up to £40 for a ticket to watch the football and then choose to miss even a minute of the game. So much can - and does - happen in a even a few seconds of football. The early leavers must have far more exciting lives than me if they are so desperate to get back to them. The history of football is full of stories of late drama at games and we have our own - think Mansfield, Hartlepool, United. I would even go as far as to say that people who leave early (other than for legitimate reasons) aren’t true lovers of the game or their team.

Side note - the beer exodus is particularly frustrating in the family area, where it blocks the view for the kids.

My two occasions for missing action were:

- Joe desperately needing a wee v Cov in 14/15 season at the Ricoh.  We waited in the aisle in full view of the pitch in injury time at h-t.  The ball in Frankie’s hands, we head into the toilet.  3 seconds later, huge cheer, Agard scored.

- Home v BHA in 15/16.  I had got a lift to the game, my mate wanted to go at h-t we were that poor but we left with 5-10 minutes to go, cue Agard penalty ‘ argument...we didn’t miss a goal though.

Luckily in our area, nobody going for a beer or wee affect our view.

If this has already been suggested sorry and please move on.

Why don’t the Club introduce a ‘buy your beer before kick off stystem’ like at some theatres etc. You pay for your half-time drinks when you get to the ground, get issued with a ticket showing what you’ve ordered and some kind of unique security code. Then when you show up at half-time, along with everyone els,  the drinks are waiting.

Sounds too obvious to me, so perhaps there are a million reasons why it would not work, but until it is given proper consideration I would think it’s worth ago. 

9 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

If this has already been suggested sorry and please move on.

Why don’t the Club introduce a ‘buy your beer before kick off stystem’ like at some theatres etc. You pay for your half-time drinks when you get to the ground, get issued with a ticket showing what you’ve ordered and some kind of unique security code. Then when you show up at half-time, along with everyone els,  the drinks are waiting.

Sounds too obvious to me, so perhaps there are a million reasons why it would not work, but until it is given proper consideration I would think it’s worth ago. 

That sounds like a very good system

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I will never, ever understand the mentality of people who pay up to £40 for a ticket to watch the football and then choose to miss even a minute of the game. So much can - and does - happen in a even a few seconds of football. The early leavers must have far more exciting lives than me if they are so desperate to get back to them. The history of football is full of stories of late drama at games and we have our own - think Mansfield, Hartlepool, United. I would even go as far as to say that people who leave early (other than for legitimate reasons) aren’t true lovers of the game or their team.

Side note - the beer exodus is particularly frustrating in the family area, where it blocks the view for the kids.

As you say some have legitimate reasons for leaving early - I know some older fans who are not so steady on their feet who prefer to leave early to avoid the crowds/to make trains/buses etc. in time.

I guess others will be less fanatical City fans or even neutrals who come now and again who may be more relaxed about missing minutes. They may even be there more for the drinks and the social side than the football! I may be wrong but I wonder if we are now attracting more rugby fans who are used to drinking during matches; there is always a never ending stream of people going in and out to buy drinks when I’ve watched rugby at other grounds. I’m pleased you can’t drink in your seat at football as that would be distracting if it was non stop. I have less of an issue if people choose to leave early before HT or FT though; each to their own.

35 minutes ago, eardun said:

As you say some have legitimate reasons for leaving early - I know some older fans who are not so steady on their feet who prefer to leave early to avoid the crowds/to make trains/buses etc. in time.

I guess others will be less fanatical City fans or even neutrals who come now and again who may be more relaxed about missing minutes. They may even be there more for the drinks and the social side than the football! I may be wrong but I wonder if we are now attracting more rugby fans who are used to drinking during matches; there is always a never ending stream of people going in and out to buy drinks when I’ve watched rugby at other grounds. I’m pleased you can’t drink in your seat at football as that would be distracting if it was non stop. I have less of an issue if people choose to leave early before HT or FT though; each to their own.

I read this after I posted my previous post! It’s clearly an even bigger issue in rugby where people are able to come and go with drinks as they please. I can see from the twitter comments that there are now calls for drinks-free blocks at Twickenham because of this problem.

The root of the problem though is a growing demographic at sports matches in general that go less for the sport and more for the drinking/social, which is a shame for the rest of us.

On 10/03/2019 at 01:38, Cov 77 said:

Not so how popular this will be but lots of fans around me are getting exasperated about the now frankly ridiculous pre half time withdrawal to the bars , I sit in the south stand near the singers and for all the crap sometimes posted on here the atmosphere at the ground has been decent this year , I like a beer as much as anyone but I come to watch the football , some people always went down to the concourse a bit early but it is now beyond a joke , they are leaving earlier and earlier with the result that the atmosphere dies in the last five minutes or more and has coincided with opposition goals on more than one occasions , today was the worst yet , I know not a great half but in a half that lasted 49 minutes , the first guys moved on 36 minutes ! As soon as this started many other panicked and started to pile out as well , by 40 minutes still 9 minutes to the break the dolman and south stand corner was much depleted and atmosphere dropped dramatically, the Leeds fans who nearly to a man stayed intact could not believe what they saw singing ‘ Is there a fire drill ‘ , couple of lads in front of me left on 39 minutes and got back on 52 , stunning 

The players must wonder what on earth is going on , is it really so necessary to get in a beer or two that you leave in this case up to 13 minutes before half time instead of supporting the team in a top six championship clash . 

Probably people will say service is crap and slow and they need to get down there but why bother going if you miss great chunks of the game ? 

Fully agree. I never leave until the half time whistle has gone.

you think it bad at AG - try going to Arsenal or Wembley

On 10/03/2019 at 23:30, xerox6060 said:

i heard the Leeds fans singing your support is f~~~g S~~t I looked up with about 7 minutes to go till half time and there was a fair few streaming out all the stands ...and I had to agree with them ....why is it that important to get a beer at half time ...

Might not be the urge to imbibe though.

Bear in mind we have an ageing fan base and they can only sit for 35 minutes or so before incontinence kicks in.

There has been some promotion from players on the club’s Twitter urging fans to get behind the players and be in their seats before KO. I suppose it might work if fans were encouraged out of the concourses and not stood there with a pint in each hand as mentioned above. But the fan’s pay their money it’s their choice if they don’t want to contribute to the build up I guess.

I’ve edited the thread title to try to make people aware.

I hear ya. But lets be honest people pay alot of money these days so if they are pi**ed off at 35minutes and same again at 80 minutes they have every right to leave.to be fair if tickets were £10 they still have every right to do as they please wether that boo or cheer. City have been poor at home this season and i cant blame fans at all for wanting to drown their sorrows. End of day the money on beer will go towards signing our £10,000,000 striker next season. 

44 minutes ago, RedM said:

There has been some promotion from players on the club’s Twitter urging fans to get behind the players and be in their seats before KO. I suppose it might work if fans were encouraged out of the concourses and not stood there with a pint in each hand as mentioned above. But the fan’s pay their money it’s their choice if they don’t want to contribute to the build up I guess.

I’ve edited the thread title to try to make people aware.

It is weird to be in the ground at 14:50 and see it only a about a 3rd full, no wonder the atmosphere takes so long to build.

Just now, Port Said Red said:

It is weird to be in the ground at 14:50 and see it only a about a 3rd full, no wonder the atmosphere takes so long to build.

I agree. Back in the day when you had to get your place in the Eastend we would be stood for an hour or more sometimes, singing and lobbing loo rolls at the goal nets, certainly built an atmosphere then!  I can’t remember bars etc either, just cups of tea and Bovril. Now when everyone has a seat, even the unreserved section I expect has an understanding of who stands where, it’s much more drinking and leisurely stroll up to your seat at the last minuite for many. I can understand people arriving late for an evening match after rushing from work but Saturdays have got lazy.

We need to make the effort, treat every game like we are playing ManU and get the Gate rocking like it can. We are the 12th man (and woman  @Dollymarie) after all. 

2 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

Does this mean I will be forced to watch the Downsy experience for an extra 15 minutes. Sorry bad move by the club treating us like children. 

Nope it means you can get in your seat earlier and help the atmosphere grow for the game. 

Good move by the club 

33 minutes ago, RedM said:

I agree. Back in the day when you had to get your place in the Eastend we would be stood for an hour or more sometimes, singing and lobbing loo rolls at the goal nets, certainly built an atmosphere then!  I can’t remember bars etc either, just cups of tea and Bovril. Now when everyone has a seat, even the unreserved section I expect has an understanding of who stands where, it’s much more drinking and leisurely stroll up to your seat at the last minuite for many. I can understand people arriving late for an evening match after rushing from work but Saturdays have got lazy.

We need to make the effort, treat every game like we are playing ManU and get the Gate rocking like it can. We are the 12th man (and woman  @Dollymarie) after all. 

IZAL toilet rolls were the best for throwing though why anyone would make or buy a toilet roll which was shiny on one side is beyond me.

19 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

Does this mean I will be forced to watch the Downsy experience for an extra 15 minutes. Sorry bad move by the club treating us like children. 

No, you can stay in the concourse.

Why anyone is still buying a pint 15mins before kick off is beyond me. Surely you’re there to watch the game. 

Archived