IGNORED

Leeds Highlights

Fiale

BTW someone get Famara on the training ground and introduce him to his left foot - I get it in tight / awkward situations he likes to cut onto his preferred foot - but this is just criminal, at the time it looked like a decent chance, seeing it here - seriously it's embarrassing. 

Highlights_Bristol_City_0-1_Leeds_United_-_YouTube_-_2019-03-10_16.06.05.png

31 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Hit it first time, left foot 1-1.....what was he thinking.

Why is Taylor's attempted lob not on the highlights, that too was a decent chance.

Taylor's chance on this one.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/11660053/bristol-city-0-1-leeds-utd

I get Fammy has a preferred foot, but blimey that was awful. He also misccontrolled it, and lost any chance.

19 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Taylor's chance on this one.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/11660053/bristol-city-0-1-leeds-utd

I get Fammy has a preferred foot, but blimey that was awful. He also misccontrolled it, and lost any chance.

I can't remember the last time I've seen him have a decent game at home.

I've never seen another forward in this division make out he's being manhandled and grappled so much by a CB. He's fighting the defender, himself, and his shadow...it's almost pantomime. Are any other players being manhandled supposedly like him in a game? It's ridiculous. Why are we playing him? Because we don't have anything better???

He backs into the defender and holds on...then try's to win a freekick.

90% of the time it fails...and because he's so close to the defender, very rarely wins the ball.

How often does he try to come away from the defender? Hardly ever.

He's seriously costing us this season imo.

His physical presence when defending and at set pieces is good...but in open play, the majority of the time when the ball goes to him, moves break down.

His touch is bang average and he's predominantly right footed. Hardly ever comes for the ball and hardly ever gets across his player.

Imo...the Championship is too fast and too physical for him.

Compare his heading to Duric...where every header went to where it was supposed to.

If Famara wins a 50/50 ball...where does it go? Pretty much anywhere.

I seriously don't see what the Club see in him if they have aspirations for promotion. He's not a decent Championship player imo.

Love the blokes commitment...but he's seriously derailing our season with poor play and poor decisions.

As for yesterdays goal...Semenyo...totally like a Rabbit in headlights yesterday. Does he only have one pace? What happened to his urgency.

The effort to reach the opposition was almost in slow motion...response from him and DaSilva when the goal went in...it was like 'oh well' WTF!!!

Still fuming from watching yesterday.

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've never seen another forward in this division make out he's being manhandled and grappled so much by a CB. He's fighting the defender, himself, and his shadow...it's almost pantomime. Are any other players being manhandled supposedly like him in a game? It's ridiculous. Why are we playing him? Because we don't have anything better???

90% of the time it fails...and because he's so close to the defender, very rarely wins the ball.

His physical presence when defending and at set pieces is good...but in open play, the majority of the time when the ball goes to him, moves break down.

His touch is bang average and he's predominantly right footed. Hardly ever comes for the ball and hardly ever gets across his player.

Compare his heading to Duric...where every header went to where it was supposed to.

I seriously don't see what the Club see in him if they have aspirations for promotion. He's not a decent Championship player imo.

Love the blokes commitment...but he's seriously derailing our season with poor play and poor decisions.

As for yesterdays goal...Semenyo...totally like a Rabbit in headlights yesterday. Does he only have one pace? What happened to his urgency.

The effort to reach the opposition was almost in slow motion...response from him and DaSilva when the goal went in...it was like 'oh well' WTF!!!

Could not agree more about Fam, a liability. Seems he has to be in  the side because we paid so much money for him. For someone supposedly a Championship striker to miss an open goal because has to bring the ball on to his only working foot and turning into two defenders, was inexcusable.

Watching those highlights, the manner of their goal was even more frustrating - not just the free header and our lack of desire defending in the box, but also the complete lack of pressure on their players from the throw-in that started the move. Far too easy. 

I agree with the frustration about Diedhiou’s performance. So often he seems to get his body shape wrong when trying to hold the ball up. I don’t want to just single him out, though - our forward play yesterday lacked quality overall and we played right into their hands. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

52 minutes ago, jayjay said:

Could not agree more about Fam, a liability. Seems he has to be in  the side because we paid so much money for him. For someone supposedly a Championship striker to miss an open goal because has to bring the ball on to his only working foot and turning into two defenders, was inexcusable.

A lot of truth in the above....but part of the problem, especially first half, is that he is trying to get every ball “under control”....there is no flick option, Pato never runs past him.  If he wins the header (easier to flick than get a 6 foot ball under control), it goes to nobody, and Fam gets slated.

Second half our second best chance (other was Marlon’s) was Taylor, from a flick-on.

He is partly being dealt a shit hand, because he has no runners.  He’s on a bit of a hiding to nothing.  Remember the EFL Cup game v Stoke last season.  Clearance > Fam flick header > Taylor running on beyond their last man > shoots > post > Fam header from the rebound > goal.

It was one of the things I thought Palmer might give us, but he hasn’t played enough.  The Bolton cup game was an example where Palmer (and O’Dowda) got beyond Fam.  Palmer had a very good game, apart from being a bit greedy as the game wore on...but how many chances did we create that night?  Loads.

There are valid criticisms of Fam, but we are playing a style that doesn’t suit him, nor the balls up to him that suit a possession based game.

1 hour ago, spudski said:
2 hours ago, cityexile said:

Spudski. I always respect your views on here as I believe you have done (or still are doing) football coaching. 

Apart from agreeing with you about Fammy I would be interested in your views about how we should deal with sides like Leeds (and Birmingham at home recently) who press relentlessly. 

Leeds gave us a masterclass in this tactic on Saturday (especially in the 1st half). No sooner had any of our players got the ball than at least one of their players sprinted into place to challenge our player, barely giving him time to think about what to so with the ball, let alone actually completing a pass. I lost count of the number of times we gave away possession as a result of this. Pack in particular could not cope with this and it was no surprise when he was taken off.

Should we "fight fire with fire" and give opposition teams the same treatment ?  That did happen a bit in the 2nd half when Leeds backed off a bit and (the more physical Weimann and Taylor) came on.  

A final thought from me.

In both our last two home games Matty Taylor has made a big difference.

When is he going to get a start ? Or is he forever an "impact sub" ?

I would start him on Tuesday if for no other reason that he offers the physical and aggressive approach to the game that we saw on display from the whole Leeds team on Saturday.

Did I say final thought ? Surely Leeds are nailed on for auto promotion along with (I think) Sheff U 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

A lot of truth in the above....but part of the problem, especially first half, is that he is trying to get every ball “under control”....there is no flick option, Pato never runs past him.  If he wins the header (easier to flick than get a 6 foot ball under control), it goes to nobody, and Fam gets slated.

Second half our second best chance (other was Marlon’s) was Taylor, from a flick-on.

He is partly being dealt a shit hand, because he has no runners.  He’s on a bit of a hiding to nothing.  Remember the EFL Cup game v Stoke last season.  Clearance > Fam flick header > Taylor running on beyond their last man > shoots > post > Fam header from the rebound > goal.

It was one of the things I thought Palmer might give us, but he hasn’t played enough.  The Bolton cup game was an example where Palmer (and O’Dowda) got beyond Fam.  Palmer had a very good game, apart from being a bit greedy as the game wore on...but how many chances did we create that night?  Loads.

There are valid criticisms of Fam, but we are playing a style that doesn’t suit him, nor the balls up to him that suit a possession based game.

Agree Dave...our style doesn't suit him. So why buy him or play him?

He can be the high point in the side, with back to goal. However he needs to be able to control a ball with his feet and play a pass quickly.

Why play a ball to his head if he has no one to flick onto?

This is why i'd rather play Taylor at the moment, as he has so much better movement and control. He plays off players better as well.

Duric was a far better option for our style of play imo...if you are going to play that one man up front and play off him.

47 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

Spudski. I always respect your views on here as I believe you have done (or still are doing) football coaching. 

Apart from agreeing with you about Fammy I would be interested in your views about how we should deal with sides like Leeds (and Birmingham at home recently) who press relentlessly. 

Leeds gave us a masterclass in this tactic on Saturday (especially in the 1st half). No sooner had any of our players got the ball than at least one of their players sprinted into place to challenge our player, barely giving him time to think about what to so with the ball, let alone actually completing a pass. I lost count of the number of times we gave away possession as a result of this. Pack in particular could not cope with this and it was no surprise when he was taken off.

Should we "fight fire with fire" and give opposition teams the same treatment ?  That did happen a bit in the 2nd half when Leeds backed off a bit and (the more physical Weimann and Taylor) came on.  

A final thought from me.

In both our last two home games Matty Taylor has made a big difference.

When is he going to get a start ? Or is he forever an "impact sub" ?

I would start him on Tuesday if for no other reason that he offers the physical and aggressive approach to the game that we saw on display from the whole Leeds team on Saturday.

Did I say final thought ? Surely Leeds are nailed on for auto promotion along with (I think) Sheff U 

Leeds and Birmingham pressed hard. But both teams left space to exploit between their 18 yard box and edge of circle.

Our forward players seldom dropped into that space to receive the ball.

The stay high on the edge of the box.

Taylor and Weimann will both drop...but they don't get the opportunity.

When they drop to receive, the defender follows, and that in turn allows our offensive midfielders to receive the ball back and work through the lines into the space the defender has vacated.

This is when we are most effective.

However we don't do it enough...as we sit too high in the final third.

All imo of course ?

4 hours ago, Fiale said:

BTW someone get Famara on the training ground and introduce him to his left foot - I get it in tight / awkward situations he likes to cut onto his preferred foot - but this is just criminal, at the time it looked like a decent chance, seeing it here - seriously it's embarrassing. 

Highlights_Bristol_City_0-1_Leeds_United_-_YouTube_-_2019-03-10_16.06.05.png

Agree Fam needs to take this first time but pack should have taken responsibility to shoot rather than passing.   

@spudski re your response to @The Red Planet.

I don’t think we are happy to just “turn them round” either...I guess this is the same as bypassing the press.  No defender wants to be going back to their own goal with a striker up their arse....we can build territory and pressure from throw-ins high up the pitch.  We did that with Reid last season...and then camped in their half.  The midfield and defence have got to be prepared to squeeze in behind to not allow two quick passes out, and then us exposed.  That’s where Reid triggered the press.

The likes of Cardiff went direct to bypass ours last season.

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Agree Fam needs to take this first time but pack should have taken responsibility to shoot rather than passing.   

Or get clattered....and keeper a red card.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@spudski re your response to @The Red Planet.

I don’t think we are happy to just “turn them round” either...I guess this is the same as bypassing the press.  No defender wants to be going back to their own goal with a striker up their arse....we can build territory and pressure from throw-ins high up the pitch.  We did that with Reid last season...and then camped in their half.  The midfield and defence have got to be prepared to squeeze in behind to not allow two quick passes out, and then us exposed.  That’s where Reid triggered the press.

The likes of Cardiff went direct to bypass ours last season.

Or get clattered....and keeper a red card.

Agreed the keeper was doing his best to help us he was erratic at best.

Archived