IGNORED

Penalties next season

22A

I've just been told that the rule regarding penalty kicks changes next season.

if the keeper doesn't hold the kick, but pushes it it behind, it will no longer be a corner, but a goal kick.

If player A takes the kick, the keeper parries it, player B in the past would run in and slot the loose ball home, or a defender would hoof it clear. Next season, if the keeper touches the ball and it doesn't go in, a goal kick will be awarded.

Is this true? If so, who agreed to the changes and why? These changes will favour the team conceding the penalty.

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

I think was done to stop the attacking sides players from  entering the Penalty box

But that’s easily solved.

• Player scores, goal stands, get on with it!
  • Player has kick saved or misses target and ball goes out of play....carry on with current rules
  • Player has kick saved and ball comes back in to play, attacking side encroach first....”offside” given, goal kick to defending team
  • Player has kick saved and ball comes back in to play, defending side encroach first....yellow card and re-take.

I never understood why when a pen is scored that a retake is needed.

4 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I commented on this the other day. Leave it as it is but every player bar the keeper and penalty taker need to be 10 yards further away from the box, I.E. 28 yards from the goal = no encroachment.

Players encroach in anticipation of a rebound......so simply do away with the penalty kick. 

When a foul takes place inside the box then a free kick is awarded as it would be outside the box. That would stop players diving or trying to con the referee. 

It would certainly make free kicks interesting. There’d be situations where you could see 10 defenders packing the goal line should the free kick be awarded around the 6 yard box......

It annoys me that rules end up getting changed due to an inability to enforce the current ones. Surely some variant of goal line tech could be used to spot encroachment and just keep on retaking it until no-one does it. Either that or if an attacker encroaches his team `lose` the penalty and if it`s a defender a goal gets given even if the kick`s not been taken.

41 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Players encroach in anticipation of a rebound......so simply do away with the penalty kick. 

When a foul takes place inside the box then a free kick is awarded as it would be outside the box. That would stop players diving or trying to con the referee. 

It would certainly make free kicks interesting. There’d be situations where you could see 10 defenders packing the goal line should the free kick be awarded around the 6 yard box......

Quite like that idea....also covers the penalty where the forward has little chance of scoring but gets clipped by the keeper.  Could make any foul in the box an auto-yellow Card to make it consistent.

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Quite like that idea....also covers the penalty where the forward has little chance of scoring but gets clipped by the keeper.  Could make any foul in the box an auto-yellow Card to make it consistent.

I wouldn’t want to see penalties disappear from the game... very much part of football, the only thing that needs to be changed is a consistent approach to encroachment...

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I wouldn’t want to see penalties disappear from the game... very much part of football, the only thing that needs to be changed is a consistent approach to encroachment...

I agree but how often do we see players trying to con the referee? It causes outrage amongst pundits, fans and the media and everyone sees diving as unacceptable.

So.......if there were no penalty kicks...........:dunno:

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I agree but how often do we see players trying to con the referee? It causes outrage amongst pundits, fans and the media and everyone sees diving as unacceptable.

....but your previous post was calling for penalties to be replaced by free kicks inside the area....so how would that stop players trying to con the referee to gain a free kick?

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....but your previous post was calling for penalties to be replaced by free kicks inside the area....so how would that stop players trying to con the referee to gain a free kick?

They do that anyway..........we saw Leeds falling over at the slightest contact yesterday once they saw how weak the referee was. Lots of teams do the same.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

They do that anyway..........we saw Leeds falling over at the slightest contact yesterday once they saw how weak the referee was. Lots of teams do the same.

I know, but you were calling for penalties to be replaced by free kicks inside the area....I just asked how you think that rule change would stop players trying to con the referees?

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I know, but you were calling for penalties to be replaced by free kicks inside the area....I just asked how you think that rule change would stop players trying to con the referees?

My theory is that without the ‘reward’ of a penalty kick players wouldn’t be so intent on trying to cheat the referee.

A free kick inside the box isn’t as likely to result in a goal as penalties are.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

But at the same time would that result in more free kicks being given as there would be less of a risk of conceding a goal?

I never understand why encroachment isn’t more regularly picked up although it’s probably gone the same way as the indirect free kick or a goal kick being taken from the same side as the ball crossed the line. While the ref concentrates on the penalty itself you only need one linesman to ensure the keeper stays on his line, so encroachment should be a job for the other linesman or the generally superfluous 4th official. Mind you, in the modern game if encroachment was enforced it would probably be 20 minutes before an allowable penalty was scored/missed. 

21 hours ago, Robbored said:

They will carry on doing it regardless of where they are on the pitch.

Of course, all the cheating could stop tomorrow if managers stopped players from doing it, it really is that simple.

But they won’t, because it’s easier for managers to allow players to cheat, then blame the referee when an opponent cheats. 

20 hours ago, Robbored said:

My theory is that without the ‘reward’ of a penalty kick players wouldn’t be so intent on trying to cheat the referee.

A free kick inside the box isn’t as likely to result in a goal as penalties are.

And the opposition would be far more happy to commit fouls in the penalty area, or handballs. I really fail to see what you think your idea will achieve. Players cheat all over the pitch, not just in the penalty area!

29 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

They will carry on doing it regardless of where they are on the pitch.

Of course, all the cheating could stop tomorrow if managers stopped players from doing it, it really is that simple.

But they won’t, because it’s easier for managers to allow players to cheat, then blame the referee when an opponent cheats. 

Cheating would stop if the referee showed red cards.

27 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

And the opposition would be far more happy to commit fouls in the penalty area, or handballs. I really fail to see what you think your idea will achieve. Players cheat all over the pitch, not just in the penalty area!

I think you’re missing the point PB.

12 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I never understand why encroachment isn’t more regularly picked up although it’s probably gone the same way as the indirect free kick or a goal kick being taken from the same side as the ball crossed the line. While the ref concentrates on the penalty itself you only need one linesman to ensure the keeper stays on his line, so encroachment should be a job for the other linesman or the generally superfluous 4th official. Mind you, in the modern game if encroachment was enforced it would probably be 20 minutes before an allowable penalty was scored/missed. 

If you make penalties like in “student death” there will be no problem with rebounds and encroachment.

23 hours ago, Robbored said:

When a foul takes place inside the box then a free kick is awarded as it would be outside the box.

Funnily enough this exact idea is argued very seriously in the brand new issue of When Saturday Comes - below.

I didn't actually know the history of the original area a penalty applied, but the author of the piece has got a point.

Nonetheless, people who don't like the sound of radical changes (that's most of us) should not read this article..

IMG_0198.thumb.jpg.fa8cd905e74a7ec0c9577677304764be.jpg

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Cheating would stop if the referee showed red cards.

Not at all, the referee would be the person to get slaughtered by your pundits and media. You can see the headlines now, ‘referee spoils game’ etc etc.

Managers encourage their players to dive and cheat, it’s clear that players practice these things in training....probably in front of their managers.

They have the power to wipe it out of our game, do you think they will............ 

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

Not at all, the referee would be the person to get slaughtered by your pundits and media. You can see the headlines now, ‘referee spoils game’ etc etc.

Managers encourage their players to dive and cheat, it’s clear that players practice these things in training....probably in front of their managers.

They have the power to wipe it out of our game, do you think they will............ 

Have a look at #25 this thread.

Archived