IGNORED

V top 6

cheshire_red

Sheff U as well.

This worries me too.  Are we a good side or are we a middling side who had a great run?  It's not just about getting in the playoffs.  If we want to win the playoffs, we need to show we can beat some of these sides in the regular season.

1 minute ago, nickolas said:

Tactics. 

Too safe against these teams im afraid. Too much standing off and trying to hit on break. 

LJ said hes changed us to a possession based team yet in these games we try to play counter attack. 

I think we are fine away from home but certainly too negative at home.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

I think we are fine away from home but certainly too negative at home.

Yes, away tactics and performances have been excellent for the most part. 
It's our home form that is letting us down in the league. And I fear this would be our downfall were we to make the play-offs, too.
Still time to sort it out, though. 
I'd certainly like to see somebody either alongside or closer to Fammy (or whoever plays up top) at home games.

My view is our record against these sides shows what we probably all know but are reluctant to admit.....our squad falls a bit short of what is required. However if we can beat Ipswich and the lower to mid table teams we have to play then we might scrape into the play offs.

But should we do that I think Saturday shows that the better teams in the division would sort us out over two legs. No disgrace in that, it’s where we are atm and I would have taken that in August tbh!!

3 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

6 points from a possible 27 to date! One home win, two home draws and one away draw to date with Boro away and Derby and WBA at home to come

Sorry to be bearer of bad news but sadly it's 5 points from 24 - even lower average points per game

HOME (4 points from 4 games)

0-2 Loss (Middlesbrough)

1-0 Win (Sheffield United)

2-2 Draw (Norwich)

0-1 Loss (Leeds)

AWAY (1 point from 4 games)

4-2 Loss (WBA)

2-0 Loss (Leeds)

1-1 Draw (Derby)

3-2 Loss (Norwich)

20 minutes ago, City18 said:

Sorry to be bearer of bad news but sadly it's 5 points from 24 - even lower average points per game

HOME (4 points from 4 games)

0-2 Loss (Middlesbrough)

1-0 Win (Sheffield United)

2-2 Draw (Norwich)

0-1 Loss (Leeds)

AWAY (1 point from 4 games)

4-2 Loss (WBA)

2-0 Loss (Leeds)

1-1 Draw (Derby)

3-2 Loss (Norwich)

Correct. 

5A02DD45-2BD9-4093-98BA-D33D319DF3DB.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Why are we so bad at home? 19th in the division on home record. 

With a home record like that we don’t deserve to make the playoffs. Unless things improve we’ll start dropping down the league. 

I’m not that optimistic about tomorrow in all honesty!

4 minutes ago, swanker said:

With a home record like that we don’t deserve to make the playoffs. Unless things improve we’ll start dropping down the league. 

I’m not that optimistic about tomorrow in all honesty!

We have struggled against all the teams at the bottom at home. We will set up as we usually do at home and Ipswich will get plenty behind the ball. Predictable borefest.

17 minutes ago, Super said:

We have struggled against all the teams at the bottom at home. We will set up as we usually do at home and Ipswich will get plenty behind the ball. Predictable borefest.

Completely agree with this.

Its like watching England a couple years ago playing teams like Malta or Latvia, simply cannot break down teams that put 11 players behind the ball. We can't even score when we have a 3 on 2 .

Lansdown needs to go out and buy a quality CM and ST in the summer otherwise it will be another season of mediocrity.

The difference between Derby in 6th position and Sheffield Wednesday in 14th is just two wins.

With 10 games to still play for, anyone in that group of teams could still get in the play offs.

I don't think there is much difference in quality between any of these teams tbh.

Wouldn't surprise me if Forest or even Brentford got 6th.

1 hour ago, Super said:

This is one of the most frustrating things for me.

We come up against these types of teams quite a lot at home, but it often looks like City are surprised by this and have to work out the best way of opening the opposition up during the game. It's like it comes as a shock and we spend the majority of the game playing sideways and then resort to being more direct when we're chasing a winner/equaliser in the last 20 mins.

The management team can be pretty certain how the opposition will line up, so it would be nice to see a much more proactive approach from LJ. Sacrifice the deeper midfielder (who often just receives a 10 yard ball off the CBs) and get someone closer to Fam. Utilise the fact that both our CBs can comfortably run with the ball and break into midfield (Fingers crossed Webster used up all his poor passes for the season against Leeds!) and have an extra body for them to pass to.

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

My view is our record against these sides shows what we probably all know but are reluctant to admit.....our squad falls a bit short of what is required. However if we can beat Ipswich and the lower to mid table teams we have to play then we might scrape into the play offs.

But should we do that I think Saturday shows that the better teams in the division would sort us out over two legs. No disgrace in that, it’s where we are atm and I would have taken that in August tbh!!

We have a very good defence but when it comes to midfield and attack we are a mid table side which is where I fear we will end up

15 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

We have a very good defence but when it comes to midfield and attack we are a mid table side which is where I fear we will end up

How many of this current team would be able to survive in the Prem over a full season? Kalas, Webster and Dasilva at a push. The rest would be Squad player quality at most imo. Some could arguably develop into being better more consistent players in the near future.

We are no way as good as Bournemouth, Huddersfield or Fulham when they went up. 

If we fluked going up via the play offs this season, I think we could easily ruin all our good work in recent years...as imo SL would do anything to stay up, and I just don't think we have enough experience and Professionalism under our belts yet.

I'd be happy with a few more seasons developing in this League.

I'd like to go up with a strong squad in the top 2.

We’re a good to above average squad in this division. Somewhere between 12th and 5th by my reckoning- and that’s where we’ll probably end up.

The problem with the streaky nature of LJs teams is it’s from one extreme to the other, one minute we’re unbeatable the next we can’t buy a win. That averages out to generally positive seasons but it’s tough for the fans!!!

1 hour ago, Dman_Red said:

This is one of the most frustrating things for me.

We come up against these types of teams quite a lot at home, but it often looks like City are surprised by this and have to work out the best way of opening the opposition up during the game. It's like it comes as a shock and we spend the majority of the game playing sideways and then resort to being more direct when we're chasing a winner/equaliser in the last 20 mins.

The management team can be pretty certain how the opposition will line up, so it would be nice to see a much more proactive approach from LJ. Sacrifice the deeper midfielder (who often just receives a 10 yard ball off the CBs) and get someone closer to Fam. Utilise the fact that both our CBs can comfortably run with the ball and break into midfield (Fingers crossed Webster used up all his poor passes for the season against Leeds!) and have an extra body for them to pass to.

Don’t have a problem with Pack as the traditional DM when we haven’t got the ball, but Webster and Kalas have proved they are as good a CB pairing on the ball (Webster especially) as there are in this division.  Pack needs to play in front of them with the ball, because along with Brownhill and Paterson, along with the full-backs, it’s what creates the triangles for us to play between the lines and get past our markers, driving forward.  Otherwise is just creates horizontal lines that are easier to defend.

I think Webster needs to be a little less predictable with his runs forward, he always goes on his left side and in some respects closes angles down.  With Pack 10 yards ahead of him, he has a different option. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

How many of this current team would be able to survive in the Prem over a full season? Kalas, Webster and Dasilva at a push. The rest would be Squad player quality at most imo. Some could arguably develop into being better more consistent players in the near future.

We are no way as good as Bournemouth, Huddersfield or Fulham when they went up. 

If we fluked going up via the play offs this season, I think we could easily ruin all our good work in recent years...as imo SL would do anything to stay up, and I just don't think we have enough experience and Professionalism under our belts yet.

I'd be happy with a few more seasons developing in this League.

I'd like to go up with a strong squad in the top 2.

I would take going up flukily, don’t go mad and come down stronger with £100m in the coffers!

6 hours ago, Loderingo said:

Sheff U as well.

This worries me too.  Are we a good side or are we a middling side who had a great run?  It's not just about getting in the playoffs.  If we want to win the playoffs, we need to show we can beat some of these sides in the regular season.

I think the players are doing a fantastic job after the upheaval in the summer but yeah for the minute we are a middling side who had a great run.

We have built ourselves a platform for the future and IMO this is our first season of being a steady championship side with enough throughout the squad to be comfortable. The attention last summer had to be on shoring up the defence as this had been our weak spot for 3 seasons and with Flint and Bryan bringing in the funds to sort it out but also creating opportunities/gaps then it was the right thing to do, next season I imagine will be about focusing on either midfield or strikers dependant on if we are not making enough opportunities then it will be midfield and if we're getting the service in but not getting the ball in the net then it's strikers.

If we go for a striker you can predict it won't be from the English leagues as we're priced out of anyone with championship or above experience. 

Archived