IGNORED

V top 6

cheshire_red

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t have a problem with Pack as the traditional DM when we haven’t got the ball, but Webster and Kalas have proved they are as good a CB pairing on the ball (Webster especially) as there are in this division.  Pack needs to play in front of them with the ball, because along with Brownhill and Paterson, along with the full-backs, it’s what creates the triangles for us to play between the lines and get past our markers, driving forward.  Otherwise is just creates horizontal lines that are easier to defend.

I think Webster needs to be a little less predictable with his runs forward, he always goes on his left side and in some respects closes angles down.  With Pack 10 yards ahead of him, he has a different option. 

I would take going up flukily, don’t go mad and come down stronger with £100m in the coffers!

I get what you are saying Dave...but how many teams are we in the mix with that are in that position? Many. You just end up with similar quality but paying more. Which then sets a bench mark.

I'd want to go up strong ..and stay up.

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

I get what you are saying Dave...but how many teams are we in the mix with that are in that position? Many. You just end up with similar quality but paying more. Which then sets a bench mark.

I'd want to go up strong ..and stay up.

So would I, but I don’t think the model / strategy / project allows that.  Think we need to be a fluky yo-yo team to be established!! ?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t have a problem with Pack as the traditional DM when we haven’t got the ball, but Webster and Kalas have proved they are as good a CB pairing on the ball (Webster especially) as there are in this division.  Pack needs to play in front of them with the ball, because along with Brownhill and Paterson, along with the full-backs, it’s what creates the triangles for us to play between the lines and get past our markers, driving forward.  Otherwise is just creates horizontal lines that are easier to defend.

I think Webster needs to be a little less predictable with his runs forward, he always goes on his left side and in some respects closes angles down.  With Pack 10 yards ahead of him, he has a different option. 

I would take going up flukily, don’t go mad and come down stronger with £100m in the coffers!

Then the huge task of remaining in Championship or even league 1.  Some of us unfortunately have long memories, and then we had a progressive owner and an excellent manager.

For me we need to go up with a minimum of 6/7 prem standard players to build around

12 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Then the huge task of remaining in Championship or even league 1.  Some of us unfortunately have long memories, and then we had a progressive owner and an excellent manager.

For me we need to go up with a minimum of 6/7 prem standard players to build around

I was there too, albeit a young’un.  Different world in the late 70s.  Giving 10 year contracts on the back of Collier going for a rediculously low amount set by tribunal put the willies up the club.

5 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Shows we are not as good as the top 5-6 teams

But in some ways, better than those teams against the 17-18 other teams than a couple of the 5-6.

I really don’t think Derby are any better than us, but agree that the 6 pointers against the teams above us may well be pivotal.

9 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

6 points from a possible 27 to date! One home win, two home draws and one away draw to date with Boro away and Derby and WBA at home to come

Hmmmm smells like a team destined to finish around 10th, as the majority predicted and as this team of good, solid championship standard players should.

We know our structure, we know our limits, we compete within it. The overwhelming majority of clubs who get out of this league do so by massively over spending.

Maybe one year we are one of the increasingly few exceptions  to the rule.

8 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Shows we are not as good as the top 5-6 teams

Correct

9 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

6 points from a possible 27 to date! One home win, two home draws and one away draw to date with Boro away and Derby and WBA at home to come

Ain’t too good is it?! Interesting to see that Wolves have only lost one away game in the five they’ve played at Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal....they are still to play Liverpool away - only slightly relevant to this thread, but I thought that was an impressive stat, against the top six....

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ain’t too good is it?! Interesting to see that Wolves have only lost one away game in the five they’ve played at Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal....they are still to play Liverpool away - only slightly relevant to this thread, but I thought that was an impressive stat, against the top six....

A lot of teams play weakened teams and might as well not turn up for some of those games.  That’s 12 games!!!

Wolves have shown what is possible.  Good luck to them.

Spot on! I remember Watford getting promoted to the premier league in 1999 (after finishing 5th in the old division one?) and dear old Graham Taylor admitted pre season 1999/2000 that they had budgeted for instant relegation to secure the club’s future....they obligingly finished bottom of the premier league that season and although it took them a few seasons to get back into the promised land, and they went back down and back up again after another few years, they are now reaping the benefits of that long term strategy....they are established in the top tier now, currently enjoying their 4th consecutive season up there having only flirted with relegation once (17th in 16/17)....

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A lot of teams play weakened teams and might as well not turn up for some of those games.  That’s 12 games!!!

Wolves have shown what is possible.  Good luck to them.

Yep....they beat Chelsea at home, drew with them away and stuffed Spurs at Wembley - and all that with a manager who is less experienced than ours....

Agreed. The triangles are what we should be aspiring to use to make the space to get us forward. However at the moment when we do make that space, the pass is either to slow or our forward players aren't being brave enough to receive it in tight spaces and bring the runners into play.

We look one dimensional a lot of the time.

But does he need Pack 10 yards in front of him? His runs are often well in excess of 10 yards and then that particular pass becomes irrelevant.

I think the problem lies in that the options/movement in front of Webster are poor (I haven't re-watched the game, but his choices against Leeds were sometimes questionable, so I'm not laying the blame solely at his teammates). As soon as he breaks, we should be on our toes - sometimes is as if it's the first time they've seen him do it! But too many times he looks up, no options, then he runs it that little bit further, when there's no option again he continues with the ball but he's shut down his own space.

IMO one of the key options to have to get the most out of this "CB Press" is having a forward that you're confident to fire the ball at and him being able to kill it and be able return it for a give and go, or bring others into play quickly. With our current first choice line up I don't think it's possible, and this is probably impacting the way we play.

Webster doing this in the 17/18 (first six months) team would have been exciting to watch.

11 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Surely we deserve to make the playoffs if we get enough points, regardless if earned at home or away?

True, but if we don’t win tonight then making the playoffs will be an even tougher ask especially with the games we’ve got coming up. 

If we don’t make the top six, we will look back at our home form or lack of it as the reason why. I really hope we don’t miss out but it’s that point in the season where the form book goes out the window. I’ve got a funny feeling Ipswich won’t be a push over tonight.  

Archived