IGNORED

Ipswich , must win

Major Isewater

Not normally one for the idea of "must-win" games, especially with so many games left in the season, but I have to agree that today really is. We need to win to get out our mini slump, and failure to beat the worst team in the league at home will surely have a huge psychological effect on us.

Let's forget our usual plan of keeping it relatively tight in the first half, and just attack from the outset. Ipswich are there for the taking, so let's do exactly that. 

hey arnold nicksplat GIF

It would be a real shame to completely kill any momentum we had left tonight after what the players have demonstrated they are capable of. Usually think of 'must-win' as a huge, reactionary cliche but tonight it is so true. Another factor in that is I actually have the money to go to Bristol and see the game so I'm expecting at least six by half time!

Agree. Yes, something being 'mathematically possible' doesn't stop it being ludicrous.

Fail to win today and the rest of the season will be inconsequential mid table nothingness.

Win today and we still have a chance, albeit it not one I'd bet on.

41 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Ipswich have nothing to lose realistically so can relax; we on the other hand know we must win. Will that empower us or hinder us, I wonder?

Neutrals looking at the fixture would surely go home banker. Im not so confident. 

Exactly, there are no easy games in the Championship

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Exactly, there are no easy games in the Championship

Too true but would you prefer to be playing  bottom of the table Ipswich , they’re there for a reason or one of the top six tonight ? 

We really must do the business tonight or face a very real prospect of all our momentum , aspirations of a play off spot and all that that entails disappearing like Bernard Manning’s thong .

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

No ifs , no buts , fail to beat Ipswich at home tonight and we can wave ‘ goodbye ‘ to the play offs.

Mathematically still possible of course but psychologically it would be the equivalent of climbing Everest with Lee Tomlin on your back .

No excuses tonight .

Shit or bust.

:bruce_h4h:

Agree Major.

With the fixture list we have coming up, we must get 3 points tonight.

Eight hours to the biggest battle of our professional lives, all comes down to today. Either we heal as a team or we are going to crumble.

Inch by inch, play by play, till we're finished.

We are in hell right now, gentlemen believe me and we can stay here and get the shit kicked out of us
or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb out of hell. One inch, at a time.

Now I can't do it for you. I'm too old. I look around and I see these young faces and I think. I mean, I made every wrong choice a middle age man could make. I pissed away all my money believe it or not. I chased off anyone who has ever loved me. And lately, I can't even stand the face I see in the mirror. You know when you get old in life things get taken from you. That's, that's part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losing stuff. You find out that life is just a game of inches.

So is football.

Because in either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half step too late or to early you don't quite make it. One half second too slow or too fast and you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They are in ever break of the game every minute, every second.

On this team, we fight for that inch. On this team, we tear ourselves, and everyone around us
to pieces for that inch. We CLAW with our finger nails for that inch. Cause we know, when we add up all those inches, that's going to make the fucking difference between WINNING and LOSING, between LIVING and DYING.

I'll tell you this, in any fight, it is the guy who is willing to die, who is going to win that inch. And I know, if I am going to have any life anymore, it is because, I am still willing to fight, and die for that inch, because that is what LIVING is. The six inches in front of your face.

Now I can't make you do it. You gotta look at the guy next to you. Look into his eyes. Now I think you are going to see a guy who will go that inch with you. You are going to see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team because he knows when it comes down to it, you are gonna do the same thing for him.

That's a team, gentlemen and either we heal now, as a team, or we will die as individuals.

That's football guys.

That's all it is.

Now, whattaya gonna do?

AdventurousElectricClingfish-small.gif

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

No ifs , no buts , fail to beat Ipswich at home tonight and we can wave ‘ goodbye ‘ to the play offs.

Mathematically still possible of course but psychologically it would be the equivalent of climbing Everest with Lee Tomlin on your back .

No excuses tonight .

Shit or bust.

:bruce_h4h:

No it wouldn't.

Even without winning tonight we can go above Derby, they play tomorrow but we have a game in hand and better goal difference.

41 minutes ago, mozo said:

Agree. Yes, something being 'mathematically possible' doesn't stop it being ludicrous.

Fail to win today and the rest of the season will be inconsequential mid table nothingness.

Win today and we still have a chance, albeit it not one I'd bet on.

The hyperbole there is ridiculous.

I might as well claim that a win today secures the title.

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If we start slowly again then LJ needs to really look at that and make big changes to our starting line up in future games. We seem to rely on subs and change in tactics in second half of games to get us results. Realistically we can't make playoffs by only showing up in second half of games. Really hope for a good 90 minute performance tonight. 

Nothing wrong with starting slowly if we win the game...

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

The hyperbole there is ridiculous.

I might as well claim that a win today secures the title.

So you think that a loss tonight and the play offs would be recoverable? Not mathematically but genuinely? After another mini run of poor results (of which a loss tonight would be the lowlight) it would take one hell of a turn around. Possible but extremely unlikely so to say it’s ‘hyperbole’ is just that but on your behalf I’d suggest. If we can’t beat the bottom team at home then we are seriously struggling for top 6 given our fixtures coming up. Think we will win by the way so this will all be hypothetical.  Hopefully!

1 minute ago, lenred said:

So you think that a loss tonight and the play offs would be recoverable? Not mathematically but genuinely? After another mini run of poor results (of which a loss tonight would be the lowlight) it would take one hell of a turn around. Possible but extremely unlikely so to say it’s ‘hyperbole’ is just that but on your behalf I’d suggest. If we can’t beat the bottom team at home then we are seriously struggling for top 6 given our fixtures coming up. Think we will win by the way so this will all be hypothetical.  Hopefully!

WBA couldn't beat them, and on that basis we have no pre ordained to beat them. These game are the last throw of the dice for Ipswich to survive the drop, can you imagine if the shoe was on the other foot? IF they do win, at least the Romantic in you might be addressed? 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Well yes it would be recoverable, we have a game in hand and still have to play Derby. We play most of the team's above us still. So it's not just down to "mathematically possible" it is still in our own hands regardless of the result tonight.

To say that failing to win (so not even losing) means we will be mid table (so not playoff hunt) is hyperbole.

As was the OP's claim that tonight is "shit or bust".

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

WBA couldn't beat them, and on that basis we have no pre ordained to beat them. These game are the last throw of the dice for Ipswich to survive the drop, can you imagine if the shoe was on the other foot? IF they do win, at least the Romantic in you might be addressed? 

Sorry youve lost me there. 

In no way am I saying we have a divine right to win tonight. Far far from it. But the fact remains that to get our play off challenge back on track then this is as ‘must win’ as it gets really. 

14 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Eight hours to the biggest battle of our professional lives, all comes down to today. Either we heal as a team or we are going to crumble.

Inch by inch, play by play, till we're finished.

We are in hell right now, gentlemen believe me and we can stay here and get the shit kicked out of us
or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb out of hell. One inch, at a time.

Now I can't do it for you. I'm too old. I look around and I see these young faces and I think. I mean, I made every wrong choice a middle age man could make. I pissed away all my money believe it or not. I chased off anyone who has ever loved me. And lately, I can't even stand the face I see in the mirror. You know when you get old in life things get taken from you. That's, that's part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losing stuff. You find out that life is just a game of inches.

So is football.

Because in either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half step too late or to early you don't quite make it. One half second too slow or too fast and you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They are in ever break of the game every minute, every second.

On this team, we fight for that inch. On this team, we tear ourselves, and everyone around us
to pieces for that inch. We CLAW with our finger nails for that inch. Cause we know, when we add up all those inches, that's going to make the ******* difference between WINNING and LOSING, between LIVING and DYING.

I'll tell you this, in any fight, it is the guy who is willing to die, who is going to win that inch. And I know, if I am going to have any life anymore, it is because, I am still willing to fight, and die for that inch, because that is what LIVING is. The six inches in front of your face.

Now I can't make you do it. You gotta look at the guy next to you. Look into his eyes. Now I think you are going to see a guy who will go that inch with you. You are going to see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team because he knows when it comes down to it, you are gonna do the same thing for him.

That's a team, gentlemen and either we heal now, as a team, or we will die as individuals.

That's football guys.

That's all it is.

Now, whattaya gonna do?

AdventurousElectricClingfish-small.gif

Lee Pachino?

I reckon that tends to be LJ's half time team talk.

They are fighting for survival, we don't seem to be fighting for much at the moment; then there`s the weather....maybe a "they adapted to the weather better" quote is coming up soon.

Our average to poor striker(s) are going to have to take their chances to get a result tonight...a walk in the park, our players had better not think so because it wont be.

Guesstimate; a draw

Archived