IGNORED

Ipswich , must win

Major Isewater

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Well yes it would be recoverable, we have a game in hand and still have to play Derby. We play most of the team's above us still. So it's not just down to "mathematically possible" it is still in our own hands regardless of the result tonight.

To say that failing to win (so not even losing) means we will be mid table (so not playoff hunt) is hyperbole.

As was the OP's claim that tonight is "shit or bust".

All opinions.  There’s a pack of clubs behind us now. It’s not just about FLDC - far from it. They are the least of our worries in fact I’d suggest.

Admire your optimism but we will see should we lost tonight. 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

All opinions.  There’s a pack of clubs behind us now. It’s not just about FLDC - far from it. They are the least of our worries in fact I’d suggest.

Admire your optimism but we will see should we lost tonight. 

I don't think we will make the playoffs, said that all season, but 3-4 bad results doesn't mean it's all over.

Again though, games aren't just win or lose, a draw puts us above Derby.

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Sorry youve lost me there. 

In no way am I saying we have a divine right to win tonight. Far far from it. But the fact remains that to get our play off challenge back on track then this is as ‘must win’ as it gets really. 

OK I know, you don't think we have any right, just my thoughts, but IF we did lose at least it would be well earned for them, not for one minute would I want that, but it sweetens the pill....as far as promotion this season....not gonna happen, we need to strengthen the playing squad  substantially before we are in any contention for top flight football. At least we have avoided the drop, unlike our visitors, the time is now for Lee to release the hounds and see what this squad is capable of, including fringe players. 

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I don't think we will make the playoffs, said that all season, but 3-4 bad results doesn't mean it's all over.

Again though, games aren't just win or lose, a draw puts us above Derby.

I’d suggest even if we draw it will be seen as a poor result in terms of a play off push with the fixtures that we have remaining.  I’d imagine even LJ and his team would agree on that as well. 

4 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

OK I know, you don't think we have any right, just my thoughts, but IF we did lose at least it would be well earned for them, not for one minute would I want that, but it sweetens the pill....as far as promotion this season....not gonna happen, we need to strengthen the playing squad  substantially before we are in any contention for top flight football. At least we have avoided the drop, unlike our visitors, the time is now for Lee to release the hounds and see what this squad is capable of, including fringe players. 

Ok get what you mean now. But in answer to you then no, no Ipswich win would sweeten any pill - for me at least! Let’s hope it’s all hypothetical. 

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

I’d suggest even if we draw it will be seen as a poor result in terms of a play off push with the fixtures that we have remaining.  I’d imagine even LJ and his team would agree on that as well. 

Must win for me considering the fixtures we have left. Lets hope we see a positive attacking line up.

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

And so would I.

I wasn't at any point saying a draw is a good result. But that it isn't the end of the world.

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

And so would I.

I wasn't at any point saying a draw is a good result. But that it isn't the end of the world.

You mentioned the draw - not me! Anyway. We all want the same thing tonight. Here’s hoping it happens. Believe it will. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

No ifs , no buts , fail to beat Ipswich at home tonight and we can wave ‘ goodbye ‘ to the play offs.

Mathematically still possible of course but psychologically it would be the equivalent of climbing Everest with Lee Tomlin on your back .

No excuses tonight .

Shit or bust.

:bruce_h4h:

I completely agree it’s must win tonight, although the result is all that matters I actually think we also need to put a performance in.

We don’t play again until 30 March in what will be a really tough away game. We need to sign off with a result and performance. 

Are the players going away for teaining during the period between now and our next game?

25 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

We need some real up for it super-studs out there tonight COYR's get stuck in   ….. cant afford any slip-up's! 

Sounds like a job for Rudolph!

36 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Well yes it would be recoverable, we have a game in hand and still have to play Derby. We play most of the team's above us still. So it's not just down to "mathematically possible" it is still in our own hands regardless of the result tonight.

To say that failing to win (so not even losing) means we will be mid table (so not playoff hunt) is hyperbole.

As was the OP's claim that tonight is "shit or bust".

No, it's an understanding of context.

Of course the basic principle is that we could still finish in the top two. 

But knowing how momentum works in football and knowing what fixtures we have and the form guide, we can start plotting the likely path.

You're welcome to dispute that prediction, but Id like to know how you anticipate an alternative path panning out.

22 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

I fully expect us to set up to counter a very good Ipswich team?,go a goal behind and then have a storming second half but only get an equaliser.

A very good Ipswich team based on what exactly, after 36 games the table doesn't lie.

Goes without saying- not necessarily an opportunity to boost the GD however, Ipswich don't tend to get thrashed. The insight into them on Radio Bristol at the end of Sound of the City sounds roughly what my Ipswich supporting colleague has said- start alright and yes not too bad football, don't capitalise, concede often through individual error and they are then behind the 8-ball. Late goals as well, another achilles heel for them- something to bear in mind as we approach the final stages.

An early goal (for us) would work wonders though! Mind you West Brom scored early against them Saturday but got broadly outplayed...I'd more than take a comfortable 2-0 win.

26 minutes ago, pillred said:

A very good Ipswich team based on what exactly, after 36 games the table doesn't lie.

Sorry pillred,consider yourself whoosed,I was only saying what I expect a certain person to say.

If you accept that this is Ipswich's last chance to avoid the drop and that it is our last chance to remain as a play off hopeful, then it comes down to the team that wants it most. Have we got the character, guts and courage to actually go out and give it our all? On the recent evidence, I would suggest that we do not. We can look good if the circumstances and the way our opponents play, are right. Against a team that shows a bit of steel we look second rate e.g. Leeds.

It seems to me that one or two of our players lack courage and moral fibre and prefer to leave it to others. Example, the Leeds goal on Saturday. Alioski gets the ball, wide left just inside our half. The nearest player to him is Paterson about 10 yards away who makes no attempt to close him down to make him hurry his decision. In fact he, Pato, looks away to see if anyone else will make a move (watch the highlights). Alioski can then move forward, weigh up his options and then put over the diagonal pass to Ayling. First gutless error followed quickly by the second with Max staying rooted to his line and not having the courage to go down to attempt to stop the attack. Meanwhile Bamford dives in bravely and somehow gets the ball in the net under extreme pressure. If anyone thinks I am being harsh, then watch the highlights and play this sequence over and over.

"Eight hours to the biggest battle of our professional lives, all comes down to today. Either we heal as a team or we are going to crumble.

Inch by inch, play by play, till we're finished.

We are in hell right now, gentlemen believe me and we can stay here and get the shit kicked out of us
or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb out of hell. One inch, at a time."

FFS it's a game of football .... not a battle against cancer or starving in a war zone ... 

43 minutes ago, mozo said:

No, it's an understanding of context.

Of course the basic principle is that we could still finish in the top two. 

But knowing how momentum works in football and knowing what fixtures we have and the form guide, we can start plotting the likely path.

You're welcome to dispute that prediction, but Id like to know how you anticipate an alternative path panning out.

So knowing momentum and how we went on a storming run after beating Ipswich earlier this season (we gained 11 points on Leeds in about 6 games) you must agree that my counter example was equally valid. Particularly as the fixtures we have are against teams around us, so effectively 6 pointers.

Archived