IGNORED

Ipswich , must win

Major Isewater

They’re not great but they’ve taken points off of WBA, Sheff U, Norwich, Villa and Derby this season. As someone else said they compete in most games without getting rolled over. 

Go into it thinking we just have to turn up and it’ll be a big mistake. 

Far too early for ‘must win if we’re going to finish top six’, it doesn’t work like that, but I get that it’s one we feel we should be winning if we’re serious.

Top six was certainly never decided in March and this year is no exception. 

47 minutes ago, swampy said:

"Eight hours to the biggest battle of our professional lives, all comes down to today. Either we heal as a team or we are going to crumble.

Inch by inch, play by play, till we're finished.

We are in hell right now, gentlemen believe me and we can stay here and get the shit kicked out of us
or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb out of hell. One inch, at a time."

FFS it's a game of football .... not a battle against cancer or starving in a war zone ... 

You didn't get it

I think we must win to have a chance of PO’s due to our run in.  Even if we win tonight I think it will be tough - must beat Reading, Wigan and Derby at home. Then on road we need a couple of wins (Villa preferable but unlikely) but Millwall and Hull the most likely. 

Cant see us getting anything at Sheff U or Boro. Sheff Wed looks a lot harder than it did too. 

44 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

So knowing momentum and how we went on a storming run after beating Ipswich earlier this season (we gained 11 points on Leeds in about 6 games) you must agree that my counter example was equally valid. Particularly as the fixtures we have are against teams around us, so effectively 6 pointers.

Indeed, I'm arguing that win tonight and we could ignite our play-off push again (ie the likelihood would increase, all things considered).

As for 6 pointers... Our record vs top six teams + dropping points against lowly Ipswich + current momentum = Low chance of beating Shef Utd away

Then we have Middlesboro away. Fortunately, football has a habit of surprising you, and moments of luck can turn fortunes, but all the evidence points towards tonight being a crucial game to arrest this poor form.

Hopefully neither of us will need to do an I told you so post later this season!

Edit: I think we'll win tonight, by the way!

It’s a home game in the League where anything can happen. Odds-wise we will be favourites, and with tricky looking games ahead, 3 points would be useful. Tactically, has to be an element of caution, no point being caught on the break with too many forward. Weather conditions also have to be accounted for.

And if we don’t win, it just means we have to pick up points elsewhere. 

Take nothing for granted, we have twice failed to beat Burton at Ashton Gate.

Sorry to intrude but just for the record any fans in Bristol thinking we'll come over and give it a go to salvage the season or hope of staying in this league would be incorrect.    I've been with it every stage of the season thus far and the league doesn't lie, we're where we are because we're a largely ineffective team with a handful of adequate players and two managers i.e. Hurst and Lambert, the former was so bad you had to be with it to understand the extent of it all.  

Nothing disingenuous but I hope we don't prove to be the difference between Bristol City staying in the league and a promotion chance by the end of the season.  I think the players (our team) will be more relaxed than usual and something of the same with West Bromwich but even then that was a scrappy game and neither team really impressed.    Think many of our fans got a bit carried away over one score such has been the crap for most of the campaign before it.

Hope it's an entertaining game tonight.   Not sure how many are travelling west for this but all you'd ask for is that the eventual score reflects the play before it.    Wouldn't worry too much, it's within your capabilities to do it.   

7 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

Sorry to intrude but just for the record any fans in Bristol thinking we'll come over and give it a go to salvage the season or hope of staying in this league would be incorrect.    I've been with it every stage of the season thus far and the league doesn't lie, we're where we are because we're a largely ineffective team with a handful of adequate players and two managers i.e. Hurst and Lambert, the former was so bad you had to be with it to understand the extent of it all.  

Nothing disingenuous but I hope we don't prove to be the difference between Bristol City staying in the league and a promotion chance by the end of the season.  I think the players (our team) will be more relaxed than usual and something of the same with West Bromwich but even then that was a scrappy game and neither team really impressed.    Think many of our fans got a bit carried away over one score such has been the crap for most of the campaign before it.

Hope it's an entertaining game tonight.   Not sure how many are travelling west for this but all you'd ask for is that the eventual score reflects the play before it.    Wouldn't worry too much, it's within your capabilities to do it.   

Wow you sound depressed, resigned, forlorn and just generally miserable. Sounds like you'd be happy to just forfeit all your remaining games and just strap in for L1 now!

19 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

Thank you Southend Blue , à voice of reason .

I am sure you’ll bounce back after your short stay in the nether regions of the English league . 

29 minutes ago, shelts said:

All about how LJ sets us up tonight . I hope we give it a right go from the off. 

This completely

When the team is announced we will see if LJ has given us a chance from the off!

Recent experience has been that he persists in playing people out of position - worked with Reid!

Next Kelly becoming a CM or striker?

knackered midfield, who knows how we will set up

COYR whatever Lee decides!

5 minutes ago, dave36 said:

This completely

When the team is announced we will see if LJ has given us a chance from the off!

Recent experience has been that he persists in playing people out of position - worked with Reid!

Next Kelly becoming a CM or striker?

knackered midfield, who knows how we will set up

COYR whatever Lee decides!

I still think LJ will throw at least one curve ball !!

5 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Ipswich have nothing to lose realistically so can relax; we on the other hand know we must win. Will that empower us or hinder us, I wonder?

Neutrals looking at the fixture would surely go home banker. Im not so confident. 

Reg, as my apprentice City supporter, you are learning quick ?

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

No ifs , no buts , fail to beat Ipswich at home tonight and we can wave ‘ goodbye ‘ to the play offs.

Earlier in the season, Ipswich looked at City's visit there as a must win game. That would have kick started their season and they would then climb away from the relegation zone.

I normally appear at this point and mock those who want to say the season is over with another 10 games and 30 points still to play for.  But I do understand the sentiment on this occasion.  Momentum and confidence counts for so much in football, especially in the Championship where it is often the deciding factor between many closely matched teams.  Nothing less than a win tonight will do.

6 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

No it wouldn't.

Even without winning tonight we can go above Derby, they play tomorrow but we have a game in hand and better goal difference.

Just Derby to consider??

If only...the point is 'we ain't quite at the races, re; top six finish- ' not strong enough across the board..

It's the false hope that gets you.

28 minutes ago, ... said:

In short, if we can't beat a team when we are at home, who have the worst defence in the division, the second worst attack, and have won 3 games the entire season, do we really deserve a play-off spot?

(4-0 to City :winner_third_h4h:)

Seeing as you put it like that, it’s got an away win written all over it!!!

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Just Derby to consider??

If only...the point is 'we ain't quite at the races, re; top six finish- ' not strong enough across the board..

It's the false hope that gets you.

Well no, not just Derby to consider. But they are the team currently 6th, thus the ones that at this point we need to catch.

10 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Too true but would you prefer to be playing  bottom of the table Ipswich , they’re there for a reason or one of the top six tonight ? 

We really must do the business tonight or face a very real prospect of all our momentum , aspirations of a play off spot and all that that entails disappearing like Bernard Manning’s thong .

I rest my case Your Honour

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Well no, not just Derby to consider. But they are the team currently 6th, thus the ones that at this point we need to catch.

It's not too late to join my way of thinking! 

Drawn 2, lost 3 of last 5 games.

Booed 2 games running. 

Shef Utd away and Boro away to come.

I don't think we'll see top 6 again after tomorrow. 

OK, any one guess which team was bottom of the table and which was in the top six ? 

The wheels are coming off spectacularly.

The last time we played Wolves in the Fa cup they made the semifinals and we finished eighth in our division, I might just see what the odds are on that happening again.

We are indistinguishable from the side who went 14 unbeaten.

I’m disappointed as we capitulate for the second season in a row .

We need to know why ? 

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Opposition teams study how we achieved our results during the winning run and set our tactical plans to make it harder for us to execute the plan . It was a great tactic away from home, but far too restrictive for home games. As for wheels falling off, that is complex, as during the winning run, it was not all roses, there were games where we rode our luck. The reality is, we are a mid table side , which is better than being a relegation threatened one.  Could we, should we be doing. better ? Normally I would suggest no, but as the current top 3 have not got parachute payments (Norwich from this year) and our wage bill is higher than two of them, then I suggest we should be doing better. 

It’s about creating and grasping opportunities. 

We create them then settle for failure.

Archived