IGNORED

Anyone collect Records (Vinyl)?

Isawjonshaw

I used to go the record fairs at Transport House on a regular basis, and have a stash of Joy Division and New Order items in my collection.

Sadly I was never flush enough to afford either the original of An Ideal For Living or the Sordide Sentimental release. Both of which went for small fortunes in Peter Hook's recent auction.

Probably the most valuable item I have is this:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-A-Factory-Sample/release/11395

27 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I used to go the record fairs at Transport House on a regular basis, and have a stash of Joy Division and New Order items in my collection.

Sadly I was never flush enough to afford either the original of An Ideal For Living or the Sordide Sentimental release. Both of which went for small fortunes in Peter Hook's recent auction.

Probably the most valuable item I have is this:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-A-Factory-Sample/release/11395

Is your avatar a Revolver record carrier?  Spent many a Saturday afternoon there.  

5 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Yes, it is. Likewise, I spent many happy hours in there: just across the Triangle from school.

Great shop. 

I once witnessed Roger talk knowledgeably to an older customer about the Scandinavian jazz scene, before answering a series of queries from some younger herberts about death metal bands. The bloke knew everything about music.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Great shop. 

I once witnessed Roger talk knowledgeably to an older customer about the Scandinavian jazz scene, before answering a series of queries from some younger herberts about death metal bands. The bloke knew everything about music.

@EnclosureSurge recognised the bag pic a few years back and put me onto the book by Richard King 'Original Rockers': worth a read if you spent any time in the store.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/apr/18/original-rockers-richard-king-bristol-record-shop-revolver-review

8 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

@EnclosureSurge recognised the bag pic a few years back and put me onto the book by Richard King 'Original Rockers': worth a read if you spent any time in the store.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/apr/18/original-rockers-richard-king-bristol-record-shop-revolver-review

I bought some classic's in there!!!  

2 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

I bought some classic's in there!!!  

I still harbour some guilt for getting them to replace a copy of "The Queen Is Dead" after I complained it had been sold warped. I had left it in my car whilst I visited a friend, and it had bent wildly out of shape in the heat.

The guy behind the counter knew I was lying. I knew he knew I was lying.

I left the country in 1998, and put all my stuff, including vinyl, into storage. We bought a house in Somerset last year, and moved our possessions into the attic space there. Unpacking my records was the highlight, and that afternoon I dashed out for a bluetooth deck and speaker. Fairly crappy kit, but it did the trick.

705077426_2018-05-2216_40_58.thumb.jpg.d321623aaa5aaef887768b266401dc41.jpg

36 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I left the country in 1998, and put all my stuff, including vinyl, into storage. We bought a house in Somerset last year, and moved our possessions into the attic space there. Unpacking my records was the highlight, and that afternoon I dashed out for a bluetooth deck and speaker. Fairly crappy kit, but it did the trick.

705077426_2018-05-2216_40_58.thumb.jpg.d321623aaa5aaef887768b266401dc41.jpg

I stupidly stored my collection in a garage once, lost the lot to damp! At that point I gave up, though may get back into it again one day.

I get the setup, but for me any system for playing vinyl would need to be analogue, if you are playing digitally you may as well use mp3.

37 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I stupidly stored my collection in a garage once, lost the lot to damp! At that point I gave up, though may get back into it again one day.

I get the setup, but for me any system for playing vinyl would need to be analogue, if you are playing digitally you may as well use mp3.

Fully agree. This was just a stop-gap solution to listen to stuff in the interim. Once we move back for good, I have been given the nod to purchase a proper system.

4 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Fully agree. This was just a stop-gap solution to listen to stuff in the interim. Once we move back for good, I have been given the nod to purchase a proper system.

Cheap is better than nothing tho right!  I still think I need to replace my AV amp for something better that’s got a proper phono stage but still it sounds very nice with the P3 hooked up. 

I’ve recently been able to listen to an album where the cover art is that of my own. A fairly unique experience I guess ?

C5CC8666-4475-4E93-8EBC-A428E0163312.jpeg

Archived