IGNORED

Marinovic

redsince1994

30 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You know what, I am actually angry about this decision. I don't get angry easily, but I just can't understand the logic. I want LJ to succeed. He's a young English manager who's built his career the hard way and I want this club to be somewhere that someone like that can succeed. It's ******* hard to keep thinking like that, and to keep defending him, when he makes mad decisions like this and then admits it to a journalist.

You and all of us, the more you think about, the more stupid the decision seems.  Imagine if a Gas manager pulled that stunt, there'd be an extra ten pages on the Rovers thread of piss-taking.

15 hours ago, JBFC II said:

A free signing on small wages. 

Yep he wasn't great tonight but he had to be brought in as we have a gk injury crisis currently... 

There must have been better keepers Ashton could have got, surely it would be allowed under the emergency loan,  because of the injuries?

6 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

There must have been better keepers Ashton could have got, surely it would be allowed under the emergency loan,  because of the injuries?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10509644/emergency-loan-window-system-changes-explained

"Clubs are permitted to sign a goalkeeper on a seven-day ‘emergency loan’ basis if they do not have a senior goalkeeper that has made five first-team apps"

Max O'Leary has 5 starts and 1 sub appearance in the Championship according to whoscored.com

7 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

You and all of us, the more you think about, the more stupid the decision seems.  Imagine if a Gas manager pulled that stunt, there'd be an extra ten pages on the Rovers thread of piss-taking.

Trouble is it comes not long after Johnson admitted to bringing Taylor on because the fans have a song for him, or saying he's been meeting S82 to discuss chants, or nipping off to Germany to learn how to run a football team from a soft drinks company. Whatever his reasoning behind stuff like this is, publicly stating it with a wink and a nod gives an impression that he isn't taking the job seriously. These little things build up slowly, each one adding to an overall impression that he sees himself as an untouchable teflon man who can make mistakes or errors of judgement free from the fear of reprisal or consequence.

Now, I'm sure he does take his job seriously, I am sure he works hard, but projecting an image of joviality and fun at a crucial time of the season on the back of a poor run is a sure fire way to get the fans' backs up.

19 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Nope. Max O'Leary is a "professional goalkeeper" under EFL regulations and therefore we did not qualify for an emergency loan. Free transfers from players unattached was and remains our only route.

6 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Puts your hatred of Fielding into some perspective. 

I don't hate FF. In fact I clearly state nearly every time I have debate on him he's a top human being and professional. I just don't think he's a great goalkeeper.

1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I reckon we rushed this one through as he is an 'international' who's been on the MLS (not a bad standard) last year

Anyone remember a young local goalkeeper named Mike Hooper?  I think his debut was at home against the G*s and he had an absolute stinker and hardly played again.

That was definitely the worst I have seen.  However he was young and obviously very nervous and later went on to play at a higher level (Liverpool?) .

This NZ bloke is an experienced international so I don't know what his excuse was.

10 hours ago, Olé said:

Which is how most will have seen it, and as @tommy_b says no need to have rushed him in with 3 weeks to the next game, but the EP's Gregor MacGregor has posted this on Twitter and words fail me - we are using important league games for trials. What happened to players holding a position until they underperform? Why does that not apply to Max? He's done nothing wrong.

Our new number one had us all doing number two's during the game.

2 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

Anyone remember a young local goalkeeper named Mike Hooper?  I think his debut was at home against the G*s and he had an absolute stinker and hardly played again.

That was definitely the worst I have seen.  However he was young and obviously very nervous and later went on to play at a higher level (Liverpool?) .

This NZ bloke is an experienced international so I don't know what his excuse was.

Maybe he's a rugby player.

No wonder he went all wide-eyed when that round thing came towards him.

Unless he was ill, I'd be pretty miffed if I was O'Leary. Marinovic hasn't even played a reserve game for us so how can he develope an understanding with any of the defenders? 

Pretty poor man management if you ask me.

His calamitous start set the tone for the worst performance of the season (& that includes Preston at home).

Too many tired players playing as individuals who couldn't string two passes together and while we're on the subject where was Joe Morrell last night?

If he was good enough for Wolves how come he's not good enough for Ipswich (and he played at Portman Road)

3 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

Yes I remember him vividly for that stand out one appearance.

He made such an impression on me in that one match alone to make my worst ever Bristol City eleven in such exulted company as Brian "mad dog" Mitchell, Alan Hay & Ian Baird.

15 minutes ago, Swede said:

Unless he was ill, I'd be pretty miffed if I was O'Leary. Marinovic hasn't even played a reserve game for us so how can he develope an understanding with any of the defenders? 

Pretty poor man management if you ask me.

His calamitous start set the tone for the worst performance of the season (& that includes Preston at home).

Too many tired players playing as individuals who couldn't string two passes together and while we're on the subject where was Joe Morrell last night?

If he was good enough for Wolves how come he's not good enough for Ipswich (and he played at Portman Road)

Someone on another thread said they saw Morrell walking with a limp last night.

3 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

Human being ? 

Awful weather ? 

How’s that for two ? 

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Trouble is it comes not long after Johnson admitted to bringing Taylor on because the fans have a song for him, or saying he's been meeting S82 to discuss chants, or nipping off to Germany to learn how to run a football team from a soft drinks company. Whatever his reasoning behind stuff like this is, publicly stating it with a wink and a nod gives an impression that he isn't taking the job seriously. These little things build up slowly, each one adding to an overall impression that he sees himself as an untouchable teflon man who can make mistakes or errors of judgement free from the fear of reprisal or consequence.

Now, I'm sure he does take his job seriously, I am sure he works hard, but projecting an image of joviality and fun at a crucial time of the season on the back of a poor run is a sure fire way to get the fans' backs up.

Lots of twisting stuff there.

The Matty Taylor comment I didn't take as a serious one- do you genuinely believe that to be the reason for the sub?

Meeting S82, what's wrong with that? It's a manager/coach trying to work with a group to get a better atmosphere to lift the team.

"Football club run by a soft drinks company" that's not strictly true is it... Red Bull will have bugger all say on the team other than their insistence on their policy of young players and a high energy style. Or do you think the CEO of Red Bull picks the team for each of the Red Bull clubs every Saturday?

The decision to split game time between the goalkeepers to see who's best during a pivotal point of the season was a crap one, and is rightly being criticised, but let's not be dishonest with the other stuff.

25 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Lots of twisting stuff there.

The Matty Taylor comment I didn't take as a serious one- do you genuinely believe that to be the reason for the sub?

Meeting S82, what's wrong with that? It's a manager/coach trying to work with a group to get a better atmosphere to lift the team.

"Football club run by a soft drinks company" that's not strictly true is it... Red Bull will have bugger all say on the team other than their insistence on their policy of young players and a high energy style. Or do you think the CEO of Red Bull picks the team for each of the Red Bull clubs every Saturday?

The decision to split game time between the goalkeepers to see who's best during a pivotal point of the season was a crap one, and is rightly being criticised, but let's not be dishonest with the other stuff.

Maybe I am twisting stuff, or embellishing things, or spinning them. Point is I won't be the only one doing so.  I used the word 'impression' a few times because that's what is created - an impression of not taking things seriously, of easing off, of being satisfied with where we are. Over time that gets into (some) fans' heads then, when he does make a real, bad decision such as the goalie farce, it adds fuel to the fire of disgruntlement. Matters very little if it is true or not.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Maybe I am twisting stuff, or embellishing things, or spinning them. Point is I won't be the only one doing so.  I used the word 'impression' a few times because that's what is created - an impression of not taking things seriously, of easing off, of being satisfied with where we are. Over time that gets into (some) fans' heads then, when he does make a real, bad decision such as the goalie farce, it adds fuel to the fire of disgruntlement. Matters very little if it is true or not.

Others doing something as well doesn't mean it's ok to do something and of course it matters if it's true or not.

(Note, not meaning to single you out by responding to you initially, I generally consider you a good poster)

If it's untrue then it's people getting themselves worked up over absolutely nothing because they are choosing to misinterpret stuff to fit what they want to believe.

If it's true then the concerns they have are entirely valid and a genuine reason for concern.

6 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

was so bad he ended up as understudy to Bruce Grobbelaar at Liverpool for the best part of a decade!

Image result for mike hooper liverpool

13 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Others doing something as well doesn't mean it's ok to do something and of course it matters if it's true or not.

I did not say it was ok to do this. I just said it was happening.

(Note, not meaning to single you out by responding to you initially, I generally consider you a good poster)

Thanks. Feeling is mutual.

If it's untrue then it's people getting themselves worked up over absolutely nothing because they are choosing to misinterpret stuff to fit what they want to believe.

Perhaps, but often in life it's what people believe that matters more than the cold truth. You're correct in wanting the truth to out and for the truth to be the evidence by which LJ is judged. Unfortunately that isn't always what happens. Thus perceptions, and LJ's management of those, are important. That was my main point: don't say you're subbing a player on for a song, don't say you're trialling goalies in competitive games. Those things stick with people and enable their anger when an honest mistake occurs, or as you say, enable them to support an agenda that isn't based in truth.

If it's true then the concerns they have are entirely valid and a genuine reason for concern.

Of course.

21 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

There's international teams, and international teams: I doubt the All-Whites could hold their own as a Championship side, so really his being one, is not relevant.

I don't know if the guy is quite as dreadful as that showing looked.

He hasn't played at all for five months - and then in the MLS, which as everyone (correctly) says - is a slower paced league.

It does make the decision to give him a debut in a first team game seem ridiculous. 

I guess he can take some U23 stuff to get up to speed and maybe warm the bench for MOL.

18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

There's international teams, and international teams: I doubt the All-Whites could hold their own as a Championship side, so really his being one, is not relevant.

I don't know if the guy is quite as dreadful as that showing looked.

He hasn't played at all for five months - and then in the MLS, which as everyone (correctly) says - is a slower paced league.

It does make the decision to give him a debut in a first team game seem ridiculous. 

I guess he can take some U23 stuff to get up to speed and maybe warm the bench for MOL.

Quite. The guy needs some U23 game time to blow away his apparent rustiness and hopefully mean he is ready for a Championship fixture when next called upon. The bloody FIRST team isn’t the place to get rid of five months of rustiness but that isn’t the fault of Marinovic, I am assuming he didn’t hijack the team sheet!!!!

What happens if he has a couple of stormers in the U23’s before we next play? Hopefully he has balls of steel because the problem is we have a few supporters who will consider him done now which doesn’t help the lad if and when he next plays.

It is human nature that having received a chorus of boos near the end for shanking one into touch the lad will be more nervous than he should be next time he steps out on that pitch. Such bad Management it’s untrue and you don’t need to have any agenda against LJ to recognise that.

While it is bad management  putting the bloke into that situation in the first place, it can also be said its not too clever from the supporters who did boo him for shanking it into touch. I didn't hear a boo more a jeer, either way not really helping.  I thought LJ did say in his post match interview that he would look at it during the international break give both keepers some game time in under 23 or behind closed doors matches and decide who would be the first choice for the rest of the season.

18 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Quite. The guy needs some U23 game time to blow away his apparent rustiness and hopefully mean he is ready for a Championship fixture when next called upon. The bloody FIRST team isn’t the place to get rid of five months of rustiness but that isn’t the fault of Marinovic, I am assuming he didn’t hijack the team sheet!!!!

What happens if he has a couple of stormers in the U23’s before we next play? Hopefully he has balls of steel because the problem is we have a few supporters who will consider him done now which doesn’t help the lad if and when he next plays.

It is human nature that having received a chorus of boos near the end for shanking one into touch the lad will be more nervous than he should be next time he steps out on that pitch. Such bad Management it’s untrue and you don’t need to have any agenda against LJ to recognise that.

I can't really see him as more than a reserve keeper for the remaining games. 

That said, given our form this season with injuries, maybe he will be between the sticks again.

If not, I imagine he'll leave quietly, like Giefer. 

4 minutes ago, Angmering Red said:

While it is bad management  putting the bloke into that situation in the first place, it can also be said its not too clever from the supporters who did boo him for shanking it into touch. I didn't hear a boo more a jeer, either way not really helping.  I thought LJ did say in his post match interview that he would look at it during the international break give both keepers some game time in under 23 or behind closed doors matches and decide who would be the first choice for the rest of the season.

Quite. I don't see his distribution as any worse than Frank's.

And who can forget Frank's moment of madness in his first match at AG. 

However, I'd be amazed if we see him other than on the bench from now on. 

Archived