Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

DownendRed97

Our home performances

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Alan Dicks had his team playing with Fear, didn’t do them much harm.

One for the older  gentlemen and gentle ladies.

Y u little !!

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Alan Dicks had his team playing with Fear, didn’t do them much harm.

One for the older  gentlemen and gentle ladies.

Keith Fear a very talented footballer. But lacked, what shall we call it, application.

Too often the wrong side of a defender to receive a pass for it to be a coincidence.

Pato reminds me of him. Are they related?

24 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Keith Fear a very talented footballer. But lacked, what shall we call it, application.

Too often the wrong side of a defender to receive a pass for it to be a coincidence.

Pato reminds me of him. Are they related?

My dad was friends with a local bookmaker. Keith Fear spent a lot of his leisure time in his establishment. Mind you he wasn't the only player that did....

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I like the sentiments of this but have some Qs / Thoughts:

• Is Wright the right person to play left side of a 3.  History shows us that when he has to play on his left foot he is very poor and stifles any passing down the left side, and if coming back on his right, enters congestion.
  • Would Baker be a better bet, naturally left sided.  Concerns that we might get exposed down the sides, but I've not seen that per se.  Not the greatest footballer, and I suspect you would like your side-CBs to start attacks
  • Kelly?  Again naturally left sided, and might be his best position at his current development stage
  • Play Webster there, because he can bring the ball out better than anyone.  Who do you then play centrally?  

Interestingly we went back 3 v Preston, but played Kalas (RCB), Baker (SW), Webster (LCB).  I think LJ played Baker in the middle for two reasons:

1. to not leave him exposed down the sides
  2. allow Webster to be the split CB to bring it forward

As it happened it was probably our worst team performance of the season!  We didn’t match them up as LJ stated we did (he got it massively wrong that day imho), Preston just turned us round with the lively running of Maguire, Robinson and Barkhuizen, and squeezed us in.  A strategy I think we could do much more than we attempt, especially when we can’t play through them...but you need runners up front.

• could we have gone Webster, Kalas, Baker...could Kalas be the non-marker?  I think he has it in his locker to be a non-warrior.  
  • Or Wright, Kalas, Webster?

Maybe Preston was a bad game to go 352....and we shouldn’t base it on that.

The RWB thoughts:

• could Brownhill play RWB...we shouldn’t need it with Hunt, he ought to be the 1st choice, but at least cover

The LWB thoughts:

• Dasilva the natural, but O’Dowda and Kelly capable.

Midfield:

Would like to see a flat 3 in there, thoughts of a 5212, ala Luke Freeman, just leave the 2 CMs exposed as in a 442.  If you had two terriers, maybe, but Pack isn’t.  This is where I could see a 3 for Brownhill (RCM), Pack, O’Dowda (LCM).  Brownhill and O’Dowda able to drift between the lines and join the front two.  Korey Smith would come in in either RCM or CM.

Up Front:

Quite simply a partner for Diedhiou...any of Weimann, Taylor, Palmer, Paterson, Semenyo....or actually any two from 6.  Paterson and Palmer could make one of the midfield 3 to rotate them.  And away from home you might go a bit more 5311.

If this was going to be our new way, I think we could recruit more effectively....but on the flip side, we might as well get rid of our true wingers Eliasson, Watkins and possibly Adelakun.  Eisa too.

I do think we have the players currently available.  

The likes of Vyner and Moore might have more of a chance of playing in a back three.  Morrell and Walsh add cover in the 3 midfield positions also.

When you look at the options , it does look promising.

LCB...... to be honest I did kind of forget about Baker. I just assume that Wright would play, as LJ does seem to want to get him in if possible. Kelly , I would be happier seeing him at LCB than at LWB. He looks a bit rabbit in the headlights when faced with open space down the wing. Ipswich away shoes he can do it . I usually put Webster centre of a 3 , mainly because he suites that Beckenbauer type role (one for the kids), he's comfortable bringing the ball out and would leave a solid defence with Kalas and Baker (or Kelly or Wright), in place. Could be a potent weapon if we ever got decent movement around him as he comes out.

The WB's I think depends on opposition and situation. DaSilva is an obvious and natural choice, but I think ODowda could do a job. Kelly , for me , is not a natural fit, he looks to pass back far more often than take the ball forward when space opens up. The added cover of the 3 may give him more confidence, who knows. RWB , I think Hunt could do this easily. Then you have JB, who has done it , although I do think he is wasted a little wide. That said , his levels have dropped recently.

I'm a fan of Walsh, so I'd love to see him given a run in a 3. Pack to sit a little and JB and LW making runs. Alternatively , Korey and Pack with JB or LW would give a more solid feel to it. I like what I've seen from Morrell too , loved that clip from Ipswich away when it's him telling the others to calm down. I think he does deserve more minutes.

I completely agree , a front 2 Fam and anyone else please. 

I really do think this , not just could work , but would work. There are options all over the pitch , and would be easy to adapt to most situations. We do need to change something , at home if not away. We need more threat, and I think Ipswich showed we need to be able to overload MF at times to stop teams playing around us.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

When you look at the options , it does look promising.

LCB...... to be honest I did kind of forget about Baker. I just assume that Wright would play, as LJ does seem to want to get him in if possible. Kelly , I would be happier seeing him at LCB than at LWB. He looks a bit rabbit in the headlights when faced with open space down the wing. Ipswich away shoes he can do it . I usually put Webster centre of a 3 , mainly because he suites that Beckenbauer type role (one for the kids), he's comfortable bringing the ball out and would leave a solid defence with Kalas and Baker (or Kelly or Wright), in place. Could be a potent weapon if we ever got decent movement around him as he comes out.

The WB's I think depends on opposition and situation. DaSilva is an obvious and natural choice, but I think ODowda could do a job. Kelly , for me , is not a natural fit, he looks to pass back far more often than take the ball forward when space opens up. The added cover of the 3 may give him more confidence, who knows. RWB , I think Hunt could do this easily. Then you have JB, who has done it , although I do think he is wasted a little wide. That said , his levels have dropped recently.

I'm a fan of Walsh, so I'd love to see him given a run in a 3. Pack to sit a little and JB and LW making runs. Alternatively , Korey and Pack with JB or LW would give a more solid feel to it. I like what I've seen from Morrell too , loved that clip from Ipswich away when it's him telling the others to calm down. I think he does deserve more minutes.

I completely agree , a front 2 Fam and anyone else please. 

I really do think this , not just could work , but would work. There are options all over the pitch , and would be easy to adapt to most situations. We do need to change something , at home if not away. We need more threat, and I think Ipswich showed we need to be able to overload MF at times to stop teams playing around us.

That's funny you mentioned Der Kaiser....when I wrote my reply that went through my head re Webster in the middle.  In our country the sweeper tends to only cover the side-CBs, but in the Italian and German games of yesteryear they were instrumental in coming out with the ball centrally.  Webster could easily do that, my only question is whether there is space to do that in the modern game.  I think you could drill that and it would open the midfield up or give option to give easier passes into the midfield or out to the WBs.

Lee - you've got 2 weeks to perfect it!!!!!

• Haha 1