IGNORED

Johnson pleased with a point

daored

10 hours ago, reddoc said:

Accepting the FFP argument as justification for our inability to strengthen in Jan, and similarly last year, were the same rules in place in 2008 when exactly the same thing happened? Genuine question.

Nope. They were not and that is my biggest criticism...they didn't even exist or were only just being formulated- certainly no risk of points deductions back then.

This January, I think a loan for Assombalonga could have been viable, last January was where we were in a difficult spot- but the cash spent as and when it was could have been put to better use but hey hindsight eh.

12 hours ago, RedDave said:

Just being a good manager. Protecting his players. You don’t know what he says behind closed doors.

Let him manage the sixth best team in the league and you lot try to support a bit yeah 

Being a good manager includes talking to the press / fans.

Lots of managers would have used the line its not good enough / I expect more - he said in effect he was satisfied.

It has been a good season, but it was a moronic thing to have claimed.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I am just amazed that some people accept that we failed to bring in a striker in January.

It wasn’t just the first day of the transfer window that we started looking .

Clearly we had a list and worked our way down it until someone, SL most likely, pulled the plug on the ones that could have happened.

It is about money , SL accepted a forward that LJ refused to sign , citing a lack of quality. 

«  Lee , this guy’s alright, he’s scored a few goals and he’s not going to cost too much « 

Lee hoping for a Championship proven  goal scorer gets shown  budget players.

I understand that forwards are the most expensive players to buy but I refuse to believe that a deal couldn’t have been done for a key position that may have got us promoted.

We could have sacrificed other players to get one in to account for FFP.

What i don't accept is the club werent trying to get one in - they failed and that is hard to take as it could of given us the push needed. But people comment like we werent even really trying when there could be muliple reasons we didn’t get one over the line that are not the clubs doing.

It could be that the players simply didn’t want to come here.

It could be that the other club changed it's mind at the 11th hour.

It could be that the players agent started playing silly beggars and changing terms.

It could be that the player didn’t want to take the risk of not getting game time as we play with one up front.

It could be that another club is prefered by the player (hogan going to sheffield united).

It could be that a deal fell through for one of our sacrificed player? COD was heavily linked with leaving and we would probably have got a tidy sum for him (Might also explain why he is playing like hes already elsewhere at the min). Or maybe chelsea pulled the plug on a deal for semenyo due to their impending transfer band and the new rules regarding player loans. A deal for either might have set the wheels in motion for deals across several clubs like when buying a house in a chain.

Truth is we don't know.

17 hours ago, JonDolman said:

It's clear he meant glad because we deserved less.

It was exactly this. And this was after being asked if we should have had more than a point - answer no and he was happy to get one in the end given how we played; Ipswich were better than us..

And he did say that we weren’t good enough and that we were nervy etc. But we have 10 games to still go for it. 

So I don’t get the problem with his sky interview. Just an honest assessment. 

19 minutes ago, eardun said:

It was exactly this. And this was after being asked if we should have had more than a point - answer no and he was happy to get one in the end given how we played; Ipswich were better than us..

And he did say that we weren’t good enough and that we were nervy etc. But we have 10 games to still go for it. 

So I don’t get the problem with his sky interview. Just an honest assessment. 

I couldn't stand to watch anything post match so did he give an honest assessment of his own performance ? I don't tend to hear that to be honest, just the team, or occasionally individuals.

13 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I couldn't stand to watch anything post match so did he give an honest assessment of his own performance ? I don't tend to hear that to be honest, just the team, or occasionally individuals.

I enjoyed the post match more than the match to be honest! Not sure what you were expecting from a post match interview but here’s the link:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11663615/johnson-ipswich-the-better-side

11 hours ago, RedM said:

Not heard that but there is an u23’s game at Crewe today, could this be the game? Normally I don’t think a player would travel and play the day after playing but if he needs match practice, which he clearly does then stranger things have happened. 

I guess it must have been nerves or something as in training he can’t have been as bad as he was, or if so someone made a terrible call? 

Anyone know if the players have a bit of downtown now as we don’t have a match for a while, certainly looked like it was one of those games late in the season when their heads were already on the beach.

Championship is probably a lot faster paced than MLS or anything else he’s been used to.

add to that some nerves / maybe lack of confidence being without a club so long

dodgy start that he never really recovered from will not have helped things.

Archived