IGNORED

You Were Haopy with top half but are booing 6th

And Its Smith

My take on this point is this :  Football and football clubs need passionate support . All teams need atmospheres like we had against Man U and also against Villa last year for example.  However, passionate support has to work both ways. You cant have vociferous support without those same passionate fans voicing their passion When they see, for the 3rd season in a row, the performance and work rate level drop off a cliff in front of them.  The “I’m happy with just being in the top half” side of our support are entirely at liberty to feel that way but in general ( and with some exceptions i’m Sure) this is not the segment of our support that creates the atmosphere in stadiums because they don’t outwardly  show that same level of passion whether it be positive or negative.  If the stadium was full of satisfied mid table supporters then it really would be a library ALL OF THE TIME.  

Strange as I genuinely heard no booing and was quite impressed at the restraint after Saturday - which in the Dolman at least I put down to apathy and a large number of people leaving before the full time whistle and so had switched off to their cue.

The atmosphere was awful, not quite as bad as Birmingham two weeks ago, but still poor for a midweek game. But again there were reasons, it was freezing cold and seemed to me that the players obvious nerves and hesitation transferred to the crowd. 

21 minutes ago, Olé said:

Strange as I genuinely heard no booing and was quite impressed at the restraint after Saturday - which in the Dolman at least I put down to apathy and a large number of people leaving before the full time whistle and so had switched off to their cue.

The atmosphere was awful, not quite as bad as Birmingham two weeks ago, but still poor for a midweek game. But again there were reasons, it was freezing cold and seemed to me that the players obvious nerves and hesitation transferred to the crowd. 

Hi mate...It has crossed my mind, that the 'singing section' as they call it, has made more of a negative impact on the atmosphere than positive.

The fact that there is a 'section for singing' sends a subliminal message to the rest of the ground that they don't need to bother.

I know it's never been great at AG...but imo, I notice less support coming from other parts of the ground now.

Another thing that sends out the wrong message...is that the players head straight to that section to celebrate or thank.

Not having a go at that section as I think they are great...but I think the club have shot themselves in the foot a little.

Imo....a way has to be found where the whole of the South Stand has to have the 'freedom' that the 'Singing section' has...as the atmosphere would transfer better around the ground.

Just observations I've made over the last few seasons.

10 hours ago, RedDave said:

A lot of fans need to start getting behind the players a bit more. Everyone was happy with mid table or top 8. We are 6th and there are boos at the end of the last 4 halves of football we have played.

Certain posters give very little praise for good performances but apparently when we lose players like Weimann and Pato are a disgrace!  

We are 6th. Try to support the lads a bit yes.

Correct. It is the manner of performance on and off the pitch that is encouraging the boos. We lost to Stoke and Wolves but no boos then.

2 hours ago, SX227 said:

Whats wrong with you?

When we play shite it's always a dig at the fans.

Maybe open your eyes and accept the fact that drawing against a team that has won 3 games all season  when we are at home is not really very good.

You spout the same shite every game when we perform poorly to get a bite.

Jolly good.

We are awesome and drawing 1-1 against bottom of the league ITFC is progress.

The fans are crap.

LJ is awesome.

The players gave 100% and we were desperately unlucky

You are the bestest superest poster on the forum - I bow to you.

Happy?

Christ on a bike you always act like a pious 12 yr old after rubbish like this is served up.

Simple question - are you always a dick, or do you just save it for after 1 1/2 pints of lager top to post?

Blimey. Bad day?  Had lots of likes to the post that has so offended you so looks like I am not alone in my views.  Not looking for a bit, just giving my view which is unfortunately different to yours. 

Saidly when I saw you had commented I knew it would be abusive. 

10 hours ago, lenred said:

Very very very poor unfortunately and really unfathomable to be honest.  Like the two January transfer windows we’ve had in the last two seasons  it’s yet again a massive case of ‘what if’ at the moment. Just a few more points and we’d be flying. Maybe booing is out of order (don’t do it myself) but you pays your money etc. And we’ve been served tripe at home this season.   Still fighting though, still in with a chance and 6th as it stands is undoubtedly a fantastic result this far,  but home form needs an almighty bastarding jolt from somewhere if we are to have any chance at all of top 6. Still hope.......

This January yes, last January we were at our limits but the Kent, Diony money could and should undoubtedly have been better spent.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Hi mate...It has crossed my mind, that the 'singing section' as they call it, has made more of a negative impact on the atmosphere than positive.

The fact that there is a 'section for singing' sends a subliminal message to the rest of the ground that they don't need to bother.

I know it's never been great at AG...but imo, I notice less support coming from other parts of the ground now.

Another thing that sends out the wrong message...is that the players head straight to that section to celebrate or thank.

Not having a go at that section as I think they are great...but I think the club have shot themselves in the foot a little.

Imo....a way has to be found where the whole of the South Stand has to have the 'freedom' that the 'Singing section' has...as the atmosphere would transfer better around the ground.

That's an excellent observation and one I fully agree with.

There have been times when a section of fans in the South Stand have started to sing one song and just as it gets going, S82 start singing something different.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I couldn’t make it last night, but do you really think the singing section are great?

I don’t really care whether they make a noise or not, but in my experience they only sing if we are doing well and are silent for the majority of most matches and drowned out by the visitors.

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's nothing to do with our past performances. 

People judge on what they see in front of them tonight. The feeblest performance at AG this season, coming on the heels of several other nearly as bad displays.

If we play like tonight for the remaining 10 games then we'll be lucky to finish in the top half.

I didn't boo, but I think anyone who paid money to freeze their nuts off and see us look non-league standard for all but about 30 minutes, is well within their rights to do so.

Totally agree. Like it or not that can’t have been anyone in the stadium last night that didn’t expect to hear boos at the final whistle. They can and have played much better than that, it’s not acceptable. Yes Ipswich wanted to win the game too but to be at home and be so outclassed and dominated in every department is shocking. But even in our good run we hardly really looked like a hard nosed promotion chasing team. We are nice, nobody fears us and I don’t blame them. 

36 minutes ago, RedM said:

Totally agree. Like it or not that can’t have been anyone in the stadium last night that didn’t expect to hear boos at the final whistle. They can and have played much better than that, it’s not acceptable. Yes Ipswich wanted to win the game too but to be at home and be so outclassed and dominated in every department is shocking. But even in our good run we hardly really looked like a hard nosed promotion chasing team. We are nice, nobody fears us and I don’t blame them. 

It doesn't help that we are so bloody predictable.

You can imagine every opposition managers team talk before playing us: "Right, they play this big lad up front as a solo striker. He's a goal threat but not fast or particularly strong so biggest defender, you stick to him like glue. Attacks all originate from the beardy bloke in MF, so attacking MF you man-mark him out. Their attacks all come down the flanks looking for a cross into the big guy, their full backs will be pushed up. Feed the ball through the centre on breaks then pass it wide. Chances are you'll just be facing the two centre backs. etc etc"

50 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I couldn’t make it last night, but do you really think the singing section are great?

I don’t really care whether they make a noise or not, but in my experience they only sing if we are doing well and are silent for the majority of most matches and drowned out by the visitors.

I think the idea to be more supportive is great for sure.

I usually sit in the Dolman or lower Lansdown. I look around at those sat next to me, and they really aren't in the majority the type of people that would sing or chant. 

How great it would be if the atmosphere was like the Man It's game every week...but it's not.

It's like it in many grounds...hence why the away support is often better. Our support away is very good imo.

12 hours ago, shelts said:

We are extremely leggy . Not good at playing under pressure . Overachieving. 

As a spectacle the last two games have been poor. How many games in the unbeaten run where great on the eye ?

Spoke to Don Goodman after the game and he said  the Gate was normally rocking, where was the atmosphere to help push the team, the Dons words not mine . 

Shelts imagine youve been away working abroad and youve come home for a week or so payed thirty odd quid to watch the last two performances what would you think ? How the hell are we 6th in the league??

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I usually sit in the Dolman or lower Lansdown. I look around at those sat next to me, and they really aren't in the majority the type of people that would sing or chant. 

How great it would be if the atmosphere was like the Man It's game every week...but it's not.

It's like it in many grounds...hence why the away support is often better. Our support away is very good imo.

It's a sad truth that by giving away supporters the stand with the lowest roof, you amplify their sound, whereas by sticking S82 away in a corner far away from the opposition you stifle theirs.  From most of the Dolman, you cannot even see that area, so their flag waving, streamers etc is lost on us.

I'm not sure there's an easy way around this, but there you go.

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

Agree with a lot of this, but we have had some good atmospheres in other games. Thought in the Cup v Stoke and Crystal Palace last season good, plus the home 5.30pm last season games v Middlesbrough and Wolves quite good, Norwich at home in December this season under the lights at a time our confidence was slowly returning, in the rain...and only 15,000 there funnily enough, that was good display and quite noisy! Swansea at home excellent, 2nd half v QPR in February quite good too.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's a sad truth that by giving away supporters the stand with the lowest roof, you amplify their sound, whereas by sticking S82 away in a corner far away from the opposition you stifle theirs.  From most of the Dolman, you cannot even see that area, so their flag waving, streamers etc is lost on us.

I'm not sure there's an easy way around this, but there you go.

Funny, because the Atyeo's acoustics have never been the best- it's been much debated on here over the years.

An expansion of s82 and perhaps spreading it out to other bits of the ground would be welcome.

12 hours ago, RedDave said:

A lot of fans need to start getting behind the players a bit more. Everyone was happy with mid table or top 8. We are 6th and there are boos at the end of the last 4 halves of football we have played.

Certain posters give very little praise for good performances but apparently when we lose players like Weimann and Pato are a disgrace!  

We are 6th. Try to support the lads a bit yes.

As someone who has never believed in Johnson as a manager - a view which if I'm honest may have been influenced by my opinion of him as a player and all that stuff with his dad - I have to agree with you.

I don't understand how we are 6th, because all the teams above are better and I can think of more than one who were also better than us at Ashton Gate, but nevertheless we are 6th and you would think that the fans would preferably get behind the team but if they can't do that, vocal criticism and booing from the position we are in is just embarrassing, even if last night was poor.

And then we could go on to the several thousand who couldn't even be bothered to go last night because it was on TV.....

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree with a lot of this, but we have had some good atmospheres in other games. Thought in the Cup v Stoke and Crystal Palace last season good, plus the home 5.30pm last season games v Middlesbrough and Wolves quite good, Norwich at home in December this season under the lights at a time our confidence was slowly returning, in the rain...and only 15,000 there funnily enough, that was good display and quite noisy! Swansea at home excellent, 2nd half v QPR in February quite good too.

Funny, because the Atyeo's acoustics have never been the best- it's been much debated on here over the years.

An expansion of s82 and perhaps spreading it out to other bits of the ground would be welcome.

It was used as another reason/excuse for poor atmosphere when the redevelopment happened.

"Can't make a good noise in the Atyeo, acoustics are crap"

But then 400 Colchester or Chesterfield (I forgot which) fans in the Atyeo managed to out sing the whole ground in one game.

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It was used as another reason/excuse for poor atmosphere when the redevelopment happened.

"Can't make a good noise in the Atyeo, acoustics are crap"

But then 400 Colchester or Chesterfield (I forgot which) fans in the Atyeo managed to out sing the whole ground in one game.

I never have had it down as having had good acoustics tbh, always thought the South Stand was a tad better for this.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The one thing I don't get is why fans think it's impossible for us to find form again. LJ has shown he can go on good runs as well as bad runs. I don't think that amazing run was down to luck. We deserved those points. We seem to play better away from home, Norwich fans saying we are the best they've faced and a number of great away performances this season. These difficult fixtures coming up suit us. 

Would usually agree, but on the Leeds performance I doubt those fixtures will suit us

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The one thing I don't get is why fans think it's impossible for us to find form again. LJ has shown he can go on good runs as well as bad runs. I don't think that amazing run was down to luck. We deserved those points. We seem to play better away from home, Norwich fans saying we are the best they've faced and a number of great away performances this season. These difficult fixtures coming up suit us. 

Struggle to see that entirely given Leeds won 3-0 there and Sheffield United had a pretty even game with them- one of the best perhaps, best since August yes but I don't see by what metric we have been the best opposition side there this season.

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That statement probably held true before the rest of the ground was developed. But acoustic engineers will tell you a lower roof allows sound to reverberate more.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The trouble is that if we aren't up for the fight like last night then Sheff U will stuff us. Hopefully the break will help us regroup.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

We don't always have the same views but couldn't agree with you more on that.

Back in the day the East End wasn't a designated end the fans just made it that and it evolved and took the rest of the ground with it.

Nowadays the clubs want to control how the fans act, behave and what they do down to the lowest detail, partly for good reason but it's gone too far.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I never have had it down as having had good acoustics tbh, always thought the South Stand was a tad better for this.

Don't think the acoustics in it are great, but that doesn't mean it was a valid reason for a poor atmosphere from our fans in there when opposition fans in far smaller numbers were able to be loud.

1 minute ago, finbarr_in_z said:

4 days ago WBA were also held 1-1 by Ipswich. They sacked their manager.

Looking at the stats, Ipswich were more in that game than ours last night https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47424361

WBA are 6 points ahead of us.

Interesting times.........

Ipswich for a while now have not been playing all that badly. Work with an Ipswich fan and though they are going down, they have picked up performance wise a fair bit of late...issues in both boxes.

14 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Still in our hands. I travel to Sheffield excited and optimistic. You never know, we could hit another run of form. Lots of very reactionary comments tonight.

think you should change your post name to the eternal optimist.

6 hours ago, SX227 said:

Whats wrong with you?

When we play shite it's always a dig at the fans.

Maybe open your eyes and accept the fact that drawing against a team that has won 3 games all season  when we are at home is not really very good.

You spout the same shite every game when we perform poorly to get a bite.

Jolly good.

We are awesome and drawing 1-1 against bottom of the league ITFC is progress.

The fans are crap.

LJ is awesome.

The players gave 100% and we were desperately unlucky

You are the bestest superest poster on the forum - I bow to you.

Happy?

Christ on a bike you always act like a pious 12 yr old after rubbish like this is served up.

Simple question - are you always a dick, or do you just save it for after 1 1/2 pints of lager top to post?

Simple question back, do you believe booing does anything to inspire, encourage or give belief to the team?

Webster looked absolutely devastated in his post match interview. When things aren't going our way we need the supporters to get behind the team and give them belief. I accept that fans need something to give them belief but a 15 game unbeaten streak should have done that but one bad result and they were almost instantly boo'd again! The commentators mentioned several times how nervy the atmosphere was and if you don't think that affects the players then you are at best very naive

You could hear the players shouting / talking on the pitch, that's how quiet it was last night.

Archived