IGNORED

Player Ratings v Ipswich

CityCiderEd

Marinovic...4     The early boob clearly unsettled him and he didn't recover.

Hunt..............5    Just about okay

Kalas.............6    Tidy and defended well

Webster.........7    Won most headers and tried to bring the ball out but lack of movement upfront meant he ended up going wide.

Kelly...............7    Tried to clear with the wrong foot for the og but otherwise played well

Weimann.......4     No threat and rarely in the game.

Pato..............4      As above.

Brownhill.......4     Anonymous all game.

Pack..............4     Never got us driving forward and passing and general play very poor.

Eliasson.........6    His crosses are decent but he is so lightweight and easily brushed off the ball. Always seems to use his hands when he makes a tackle.

Fammy..........5    Not a good game but why is he always back in our box defending then expected to be the outball when we clear it. Clears everything in our box but rarely

wins a header in the opponents half.

Subs all 5 although KP did create a chance that I thought MP should have scored from.

coaching Staff...4     Running out of ideas and when to utilise the bench.

19 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Webster.........7    Won most headers and tried to bring the ball out but lack of movement upfront meant he ended up going wide.

Kelly...............7    Tried to clear with the wrong foot for the og but otherwise played well

Pack..............4     Never got us driving forward and passing and general play very poor.

Eliasson.........6    His crosses are decent but he is so lightweight and easily brushed off the ball. Always seems to use his hands when he makes a tackle.

Fammy..........5    Not a good game but why is he always back in our box defending then expected to be the outball when we clear it. Clears everything in our box but rarely

Subs all 5 although KP did create a chance that I thought MP should have scored from.

"Running out of ideas "; surely you meant "run out of ideas "

21 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Harsh, thought he made 3 or 4 good saves, but his bad kicking in the speedy championship negated that.  6/10 for me.  Would’ve played Max though.

A spark for 20 minutes in first half, defended well in the main 6/10

Yep, shaded Webster for MOTM for me...although maybe Webster getting the goal means he shaded it over Lloyd.

Same comment as Hunt 6/10

Thought he was on his toes tonight and looked good first half, but little second half.

Ultimately I don’t really disagree, just being a bit more generous on a couple.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dave, I respect your opinion but..really?

Marinovics saves were ones I’d expect any semi competent L1/L2 keeper to make. Nothing he did was undoubtedly champ standard so to say he was 6/10 at this level (and hence better than average) is bizarre.

The kicking was dire - other than poor direction, barely made halfway. The control was dire. The lack of ability on the ball and skittishness meant our normal game of rotating to the GK couldn’t be played, and the lack of confidence in him to deal with the ball meant we dropped deep and surrendered space.

3 or 4 expected (not exceptional or above average) saves when you allay with the above makes him a 2-3 out of 10 IMO - and I don’t criticise quickly.

As I said in another thread, I get why LJ played him in view of NMs absence. But he’s a pro - and in no way was he 6/10 tonight.

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Dave, I respect your opinion but..really?

Marinovics saves were ones I’d expect any semi competent L1/L2 keeper to make. Nothing he did was undoubtedly champ standard so to say he was 6/10 at this level (and hence better than average) is bizarre.

The kicking was dire - other than poor direction, barely made halfway. The control was dire. The lack of ability on the ball and skittishness meant our normal game of rotating to the GK couldn’t be played, and the lack of confidence in him to deal with the ball meant we dropped deep and surrendered space.

3 or 4 expected (not exceptional or above average) saves when you allay with the above makes him a 2-3 out of 10 IMO - and I don’t criticise quickly.

As I said in another thread, I get why LJ played him in view of NMs absence. But he’s a pro - and in no way was he 6/10 tonight.

Ok, ignore his kicking....what would you have given him?  Maybe my 6 is too high, but I think people are just focusing on his kicking.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Ok, ignore his kicking....what would you have given him?  Maybe my 6 is too high, but I think people are just focusing on his kicking.

Genuinely, ignoring his kicking (which has to come into the whole), he was a 4 at best. Reasons are above - you can’t just look at him in a bubble, but also look at the team impact. So when I add the poor kicking, he’s a 2-3. I can’t remember grading that low for some time, but it was deserved - he looked 5-6 levels out of his depth, and really impacted the team shape.

Again, I get why LJ played him but it was an awful call.

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Genuinely, ignoring his kicking (which has to come into the whole), he was a 4 at best. Reasons are above - you can’t just look at him in a bubble, but also look at the team impact. So when I add the poor kicking, he’s a 2-3. I can’t remember grading that low for some time, but it was deserved - he looked 5-6 levels out of his depth, and really impacted the team shape.

Would also add I can’t remember him claiming a cross. Was glued to his line in most cases. The only thing he gets a semi pass on is making the (expected) saves. All else was well below average.

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Pack higher than eliasson? 

Bar that I'd agree

Yep. Whilst Eliasson has a good delivery, that’s all he offered. I’d wager that he lost the ball over 60% of the time he got it. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Yep. Whilst Eliasson has a good delivery, that’s all he offered. I’d wager that he lost the ball over 60% of the time he got it. 

I'd argue pack was worse than that, especially when he looked to go forward. 

Eliasson was our only attacking threat tonight, and although that wasn't exactly a hard accolade, he did put in a decent shift

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I'd argue pack was worse than that, especially when he looked to go forward. 

Eliasson was our only attacking threat tonight, and although that wasn't exactly a hard accolade, he did put in a decent shift

Go on then, I’ll give Eliasson 6 as well. I guess he was the only potential creative option we had tonight as no one else stepped to that plate. 

1 hour ago, CityCiderEd said:

Far too kind to Kelly and Diedhiou.

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Delivery tends to create goals though. I'm happy for him to be erratic as long as he creates.  Let others keep possesion.  

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

Eliasson gets poor service, he gets passes usually from Pack or Paterson when he is surrounded.

Of course he did have an assist for the goal, what did Pack, Paterson, Diedhiou do and ODowda and Taylor when they came on?

Marinovic - 3

Hunt - 7

Webster - 6

Kalas - 7

Kelly - 6

Pack - 5

Brownhill - 5

Paterson - 4

Eliasson - 6

Weimann - 5

Diedhiou - 6

Hunt my MOM, Kelly a 6 despite the own goal and what followed after as he was steady up until it. Still maintain that he isn’t a left back though.

44 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

More worrying is that his performance in training cannot possibly have been much different so why was he moved up the pecking order? By his performance tonight he should be behind our 2 youth keepers!

but then that’s LJ for you - baffling!

whats the answer? Only the toes knows!

who remembers where that come from?

Marinovic 2

Hunt 6

Kalas 7

Webster 7

Kelly 6

Weimann 3

Brownhill 3

Pack 5

Eliason 5

Paterson 2

Diedhiou 6

Keeper shocking

Defense where ok all would have been 7 where it not for some silly mistakes by the wide men 

Midfield sadly they all had a bad day 

Diedhiou worked hard but didn't see much of the ball thought

Marinovic 2 - caught the ball low, punched behind him, punched balls he should have caught & then there’s his touch!

Hunt 5 - not great, but not awful. Look forward to seeing him back in form. 

Webster 5 - not his composed normal self. I wonder how much this was due to keeper. 

Kalas 6 - a decent enough night. 

Kelly 7 - the best of a bad bunch, but looked good going forward. 

Pack 4 - minimal passes and lost the ball too much. 

Brownhill 3 - abysmal showing. Can’t think of a single thing he did. 

Eliasson 5 - really really weak on the ball, like a small child. But maintains good crossing ability. 

Paterson 2 - the only player to rival the goalkeeper. Slipped up all over the pitch and guaranteed to give the ball away at every opportunity. Still... he’s first name on the team sheet. 

Weimann 4 - though he tried hard, got into a couple of good positions, but like the rest, poor  

Diedhou 5 - he tries hard but remains isolated. 

Johnson 0 - got home tactics wrong again. And waited to see if he could fluke his way out of it until the 73rd minute. Utter disgrace. 

7 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Far too kind to Kelly and Diedhiou.

Kelly played alright tonight, if he didn’t make that block at the start then we would’ve lost the game and what was Diédhiou supposed to do with the abysmal service he got.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Personally I’d go :

Marinovic 3

Hunt 5

Kalas 7

Webster 6

Kelly 7

Weimann 2

Brownhill 3

Pack 6

Eliason 5

Paterson 2

Diedhiou 4

Very harsh on Diédhiou and Marinovic. The keeper made some great saves and although his kicking wasn’t great he hasn’t played for a while so he’s quite rusty. Diédhiou did well considering he had next to no service

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Would also add I can’t remember him claiming a cross. Was glued to his line in most cases. The only thing he gets a semi pass on is making the (expected) saves. All else was well below average.

I agree. The fact that Ipswich didn’t score a goal for themselves was down to them being poor rather than half decent goalkeeping. He didn’t command his area, everything was a scramble and I couldn’t make out if he was catching or punching half the time. Then when were were on the attack he strayed miles up the pitch, I even wondered if he was short sighted ? and I really thought he was going to be lobbed a couple of times.

3 out of 5 in the defence were changed last night, with one of them being a keeper who the players looked like they had no understanding with. Add to that a couple of other changes and there were too many, or not the right ones maybe. Weimann looked as poor as I’ve ever seen him, he played his best football with Taylor when Diedhiou was suspended. If LJ really wanted to do something different I would have tried that, get the best out of both players as right now neither as functioning.

9 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Kelly played alright tonight, if he didn’t make that block at the start then we would’ve lost the game and what was Diédhiou supposed to do with the abysmal service he got.

Very harsh on Diédhiou and Marinovic. The keeper made some great saves and although his kicking wasn’t great he hasn’t played for a while so he’s quite rusty. Diédhiou did well considering he had next to no service

Being a keeper is primarily about not making mistakes. Making good saves is a bonus but only if ontop of a solid game. Marinovic made so many mistakes it was untrue. I’d be happy for us to let him free transfer to the blue few. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Being a keeper is primarily about not making mistakes. Making good saves is a bonus but only if ontop of a solid game. Marinovic made so many mistakes it was untrue. I’d be happy for us to let him free transfer to the blue few. 

Granted he didn’t have the best of debuts. But why write him off after one game? 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’d like not to. I really would. But I’d instantly be bricking it the moment I see his name on the team sheet again!

Very true but I remember Webster not playing too well on his debut and everyone laying in to him on here and look how that’s gone since. He could turn in to prime Casillas next game!

3 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Granted he didn’t have the best of debuts. But why write him off after one game? 

If you were Chris Wilder watching the video of that you would be hoping Marinovic starts for us at Bramhall Lane. As others have said his rustiness (being kind) or lack of ability (being harsh) with the ball at his feet fundamentally affected the way we played. Our back four ended up kicking balls into touch rather than play back like they normally do.

At Championship level shot stopping is a basic requirement but you also have to be able to play out and help the back four on crosses both of which he failed abysmally on last night.

Archived