IGNORED

This is The Club Lansdown has Built, Accept it

I honestly don’t know what people expect.

This is the model Lansdown has built and this is who we are.

Its not a bad thing, indeed if we finish top 10 this year it will be the second most successful 3 year period in 40 years!

The only better time was between 2008-2010 and even then we were on the decline.

It doesn’t mean we won’t ever have that season that breaks right for us and we go up, but the truth is clubs doing it the Lansdown way have a far slimmer chance of promotion than the those who just spend their way out of it.

This season has been great at times and who knows what lies in store? 

Either way, the model isn’t going to change and even if Johnson was replaced, it would be with someone who fits, not just s big name who would expect a budget to match.

Yeah we’ve gone off the boil a bit, but the majority of clubs do at some point , if they didn’t we’d all be top ?

Just enjoy it for what it is.

3 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I would rather it this way than risk doing a Bolton or Pompey. Compared to the position we were in when we were relegated last time, this is not bad at all! 

Agreed, at least this at this point in time, I feel like we are genuinely establishing ourselves as a good Championship team, unlike last time where you always felt it was a bubble about to burst.

18 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Its not a bad thing, indeed if we finish top 10 this year it will be the second most successful 3 year period in 40 years!

The only better time was between 2008-2010 and even then we were on the decline.

It doesn’t mean we won’t ever have that season that breaks right for us and we go up, but the truth is clubs doing it the Lansdown way have a far slimmer chance of promotion than the those who just spend their way out of it.

Either way, the model isn’t going to change and even if Johnson was replaced, it would be with someone who fits, not just s big name who would expect a budget to match.

Yeah we’ve gone off the boil a bit, but the majority of clubs do at some point , if they didn’t we’d all be top ?

Not for me thanks.. you can enjoy a life of mediocrity. I remember a different era when the club at least seemed like it belonged to the fans and not this very rich man, who keeps what was once felt like our club under his own control and its not up for debate...

23 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Good post...pity all the Johnson haters in the Landsdown stand around me do not read this ,so blinkered in their hatered of Johnson They become boring ,every match,our players are rubbish,our manager is clueless  etc etc ...wonder why they bother coming.

21 minutes ago, 054123 said:

and this acceptance of mediocrity by the management, manager, players and some fans is why we never reach the promise land of the premiership, the lack of total ambition and willing to accept this is utterly astounding...

20 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I would rather it this way than risk doing a Bolton or Pompey. Compared to the position we were in when we were relegated last time, this is not bad at all! 

Not every club that has a bit of ambition ends up like Pompey or Bolton. Both of those clubs were/are horrendously mis managed.. Nobody wants that here. Just a little something to take us over the line last year or this year would have been nice but as ive said for years on this forum, Steve Lansdown is MORE than happy plodding at this level. I think the face lifted stadium is about the extent of the Lansdown family’s ambitions and to be honest even that was IMO mainly for the Rugby club in mind.

2 minutes ago, keflav said:

and this acceptance of mediocrity by the management, manager, players and some fans is why we never reach the promise land of the premiership, the lack of total ambition and willing to accept this is utterly astounding...

But as stated, if we finish top 10 this year (if) you could argue it’s our most successful three year period in almost 40 years, i don’t understand the deep resentment. 

1 minute ago, Keepers Ball said:

This Ladies and Gentleman is the reason why this club has never or will never really truly get anywhere.

The acceptance of average mediocrity and apathy.

So what do you differently?

11 minutes ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Not for me thanks.. you can enjoy a life of mediocrity. I remember a different era when the club at least seemed like it belonged to the fans and not this very rich man, who keeps what was once felt like our club under his own control and its not up for debate...

What’s mediocre about it?

since 1980 what are the other glorious periods you refer to in comparison?

4 minutes ago, bris red said:

Not every club that has a bit of ambition ends up like Pompey or Bolton. Both of those clubs were/are horrendously mis managed.. Nobody wants that here. Just a little something to take us over the line last year or this year would have been nice but as ive said for years on this forum, Steve Lansdown is MORE than happy plodding at this level. I think the face lifted stadium is about the extent of the Lansdown family’s ambitions and to be honest even that was IMO mainly for the Rugby club in mind.

Nail Hit Head On - things could be so different but.......

24 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

With respect I’d much rather have done ‘a Pompey’. Recent FA Cup winners, trips to Europe (did they beat AC Milan - can’t remember!) Premiership for a good while and all the good away days and experiences that would’ve brought, then a fall through the leagues admittedly,  but pretty much straight back up and the crack of winning again. Give me that any day over what we’ve experienced in the same time period. Fair enough they could’ve languished in Div 3 but they haven’t. Much rather have those days to look back on as a supporter to be fair than what we’ve had. 

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

What’s mediocre about it?

since 1980 what are the other glorious periods you refer to in comparison?

And that is why we have never kicked on because of attitudes like yours.. I suppose Bournemouth should have been delighted at just making up the numbers in the championship then.. or Huddersfield? 

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

But as stated, if we finish top 10 this year (if) you could argue it’s our most successful three year period in almost 40 years, i don’t understand the deep resentment. 

Sorry you have just answered the point if you believe finishing 10th again is a successful season, and its no resentment I have been a city fan all my life and just want us to push on and not accept 10th as successful it would be nice for once at least to play in the top league (was only a toddler last time we did this so no real memory of this)

The annoying thing is that last season and this season along with 2008 is that we are so close to having a good chance. But January has let us down every time especially when it comes to getting that player who will get the goals to finish the job. Other teams seem to step up and get them in, Sheffield Utd got 2 decent strikers in to give them options 

How?

If the answer is simply spend more money, it ain’t going to happen.

Change the bloody Management then ffs. Burnley managed it on less money. So did Huddersfield...and bournemouth...and Cardiff ....

If you arent able to spend money or rather choose not to spend money then get someone can manage with those restraints.

6 minutes ago, Keepers Ball said:

The acceptance of average mediocrity and apathy

What’s been mediocre about finishing 11th and where ever this year ends up, league cup semis, fa cup 5th round and beating 5 premiship teams along the way?

I get massively frustrated with Lee a Johnson not being able to sort out these ridiculous periods where we not only drop points but lose all form, however to act like the last couple of seasons have been awful is simply ridiculous.

We now average over 20k at home ffs. I’m sure you can remover like I can knocking around div4/3 in front of anywhere from a thousand to even only 7k in the mid nineties.

5 minutes ago, bris red said:

And that is why we have never kicked on because of attitudes like yours.. I suppose Bournemouth should have been delighted at just making up the numbers in the championship then.. or Huddersfield? 

Explain to me the alternative here and now

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

How?

If the answer is simply spend more money, it ain’t going to happen.

No, not at all.

Make the most of the money you do spend - we are simply not doing that.

It is NOT all about the money you spend, it’s a factor, but not the only one.

There is a massive myth on here that the clubs that spend the most get the rewards - not true, Leeds, Norwich and  Sheffield Utd don’t have the biggest wage bills in this league but two of those three will probably get automatic promotion.

5 minutes ago, keflav said:

Sorry you have just answered the point if you believe finishing 10th again is a successful season, and its no resentment I have been a city fan all my life and just want us to push on and not accept 10th as successful it would be nice for once at least to play in the top league (was only a toddler last time we did this so no real memory of this)

It’s not a case of not wanting to push on as you put it, I think it’s just accepting that where we are right now is head and shoulders above almost anything else in the last 40 years, 40 years.

There was a time when I would have loved for Lansdown to have properly shit or bust in city but he didn’t want to do it that way.

This post smacks of an ethos and opinion of ‘its the taking part that counts’.

absolutely not. Sport is for winning. If you dont want to win and simply happy to take part then competitive, hard nosed sport is the wrong game for many. 

Im fed up of the ‘but if you’d have said top 6 at start of season we’d take it’ comments. 2nd season running we are bottling promotion/playoffs. 

Granted its year on year progression but from the positions weve been in, our finishing league position is actual decline, to some respect, imo. 

We are Bristol City. Footballing backwater. Nice place to live. Nice easy lifestyle. Nice nice nice. 

About time we had a bit of bottle and stood up to be counted imo. 

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

No, not at all.

Make the most of the money you do spend - we are simply not doing that.

It is NOT all about the money you spend, it’s a factor, but not the only one.

There is a massive myth on here that the clubs that spend the most get the rewards - not true, Leeds, Norwich and  Sheffield Utd don’t have the biggest wage bills in this league but two of those three will probably get automatic promotion.

Don’t disagree that some clubs can and have done it differently, Bournemouth certainly didn’t and neither did Brighton, they both spent their way out.

A good friend of mine always argues that Lansdowns real failure isn’t not spending big on players, but not spending big on managers, it’s an interesting point.

I still don’t accept that the last couple of years have mediocre by any metric.

1 minute ago, nickolas said:

This post smacks of an ethos and opinion of ‘its the taking part that counts’.

absolutely not. Sport is for winning. If you dont want to win and simply happy to take part then competitive, hard nosed sport is the wrong game for many. 

Im fed up of the ‘but if you’d have said top 6 at start of season we’d take it’ comments. 2nd season running we are bottling promotion/playoffs. 

Granted its year on year progression but from the positions weve been in, our finishing league position is actual decline, to some respect, imo. 

We are Bristol City. Footballing backwater. Nice place to live. Nice easy lifestyle. Nice nice nice. 

About time we had a bit of bottle and stood up to be counted imo. 

Brilliant.

Whats your suggestion?

Again the kart two years have not been mediocre. They have surpassed the vast majority of all achievements in the part 40 years.

7 minutes ago, 054123 said:

What’s been mediocre about finishing 11th and where ever this year ends up, league cup semis, fa cup 5th round and beating 5 premiship teams along the way?

I get massively frustrated with Lee a Johnson not being able to sort out these ridiculous periods where we not only drop points but lose all form, however to act like the last couple of seasons have been awful is simply ridiculous.

We now average over 20k at home ffs. I’m sure you can remover like I can knocking around div4/3 in front of anywhere from a thousand to even only 7k in the mid nineties.

More games like tonight and a 20,000 crowd for a league match will be a distant memory. Turgid, unentertaining, made to look second best by bottom of the league.

6 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Explain to me the alternative here and now

League Cup semis, FA 5th round, 5 Premier League teams defeated...... great, that makes it all ok then.

NONE of that actually made us achieve anything, ZERO, NADA!

The opportunity to get to get us somewhere will eventually close down, the dice are already rolling, we need to progress to the top  tier ASAP.

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

More games like tonight and a 20,000 crowd for a league match will be a distant memory. Turgid, unentertaining, made to look second best by bottom of the league.

Quite possibly, back to 10k and under like the majority of the 80s and 90s In which we still blindly followed hoping for the day we might start knocking on the door of div 1 again.

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

League Cup semis, FA 5th round, 5 Premier League teams defeated...... great, that makes it all ok then.

NONE of that actually made us achieve anything, ZERO, NADA!

The opportunity to get to get us somewhere will eventually close down, the dice are already rolling, we need to progress to the top  tier ASAP.

Yep, so what would you do differently?

Brilliant.

Whats your suggestion?

Again the kart two years have not been mediocre. They have surpassed the vast majority of all achievements in the part 40 years.

Get proven winners into the club. Managers that have been there and done it at this level and back them.. granted there is no magic wand in football but Steve Lansdown really doesn’t help himself... i truly doubt the family want Premier league football for BCFC anyway but thats a whole different debate.

It’s not a case of not wanting to push on as you put it, I think it’s just accepting that where we are right now is head and shoulders above almost anything else in the last 40 years, 40 years.

There was a time when I would have loved for Lansdown to have properly shit or bust in city but he didn’t want to do it that way.

Shit or bust is really not needed but a realistic view of the championship and opponents wage and spending structure (no one wants to spend shit loads and then goes tits up its about spending wisely when its needed to push on) . if we had got in 2 player like this (championship striker and midfielder) in January we would have taken more points in the last 5 games (not saying winning but had more chance of it)  

Archived