IGNORED

This is The Club Lansdown has Built, Accept it

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Quite possibly, back to 10k and under like the majority of the 80s and 90s In which we still blindly followed hoping for the day we might start knocking on the door of div 1 again.

Yep, so what would you do differently?

Bring in management that have a winning mentality - the current HC and his team don’t #toocosy

6 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Brilliant.

Whats your suggestion?

Again the kart two years have not been mediocre. They have surpassed the vast majority of all achievements in the part 40 years.

I have no suggestion. Its not my club, my money, my plaything  

The post smacks of as i said. Professional sport is a brutal game. We are too nice. We are too passive. We are basically taking part. 

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

League Cup semis, FA 5th round, 5 Premier League teams defeated...... great, that makes it all ok then.

NONE of that actually made us achieve anything, ZERO, NADA!

The opportunity to get to get us somewhere will eventually close down, the dice are already rolling, we need to progress to the top  tier ASAP.

Hear hear. Burton got to the semis of the League cup this season. Millwall are in the 6th round of the cup this weekend. Nice as it was it means absolutely bugger all in the grand scheme of things.  League is the bread and butter. Still a chance but it’s fading at the moment. Maybe the break will bring a new winning run.  

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

Get proven winners into the club. Managers that have been there and done it at this level and back them.. granted there is no magic wand in football but Steve Lansdown really doesn’t help himself... i truly doubt the family want Premier league football for BCFC anyway but thats a whole different debate.

I used to believe the last part of your post, in that sustainability seemed more of a priority to Lansdown than actual top flight football (that would almost be s bi product) I’m not so sure now.

Back to your first point, again as I said above, it’s not necessarily spending big on players, it have we ever invested in a quality manager?

i don’t think so.

For all of the frustration, that I can understand, I don’t think the last 2 years have been mediocre.

15 minutes ago, keflav said:

Shit or bust is really not needed but a realistic view of the championship and opponents wage and spending structure (no one wants to spend shit loads and then goes tits up its about spending wisely when its needed to push on) . if we had got in 2 player like this (championship striker and midfielder) in January we would have taken more points in the last 5 games (not saying winning but had more chance of it)  

But Johnson has never won promotion out of this division..he has never won a promotion in his career as a manager so i dont trust he actually knew in this January or the one last year what was truly needed to see us over the line. We dont have the know how or the guile at the top of this football club to know what it takes to get out of this league as bugger all of our employees have ever done it!! 

5 minutes ago, keflav said:

Shit or bust is really not needed but a realistic view of the championship and opponents wage and spending structure (no one wants to spend shit loads and then goes tits up its about spending wisely when its needed to push on) . if we had got in 2 player like this (championship striker and midfielder) in January we would have taken more points in the last 5 games (not saying winning but had more chance of it)  

Don’t disagree with your disappointment in the January window and it may well hurt us yet again. 

But Lansdown probably won’t change his ethos. 

Again, for all that disappointment, gave the last two years been mediocre?

Disappointing at times, yes, of course, it’s football,

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

But Johnson has never won promotion out of this division..he has never won a promotion in his career as a manager so i dont trust he actually knew in this January or the one just gone what was truly needed to see us over the line. We dont have the know how or the guile at the top of this football club to know what it takes to get out of this league as bugger all of our employees have ever done it!! 

I agree 100% with your point above, but don't take a football mastermind to see what we were missing everyone of us could see what we needed and (I believe because of SL reluctance to spend money again) has hindered our season not doing so.... 

10 minutes ago, nickolas said:

I have no suggestion. Its not my club, my money, my plaything  

The post smacks of as i said. Professional sport is a brutal game. We are too nice. We are too passive. We are basically taking part. 

Well you must have some thought as to how to make it better otherwise you wouldn’t be able to say that it’s bad now.

Don’t disagree with your disappointment in the January window and it may well hurt us yet again. 

But Lansdown probably won’t change his ethos. 

Again, for all that disappointment, gave the last two years been mediocre?

Disappointing at times, yes, of course, it’s football,

Lansdown does not have to change his ethos just adjust it to be in line with all the teams around you are competing with...

11 minutes ago, lenred said:

Hear hear. Burton got to the semis of the League cup this season. Millwall are in the 6th round of the cup this weekend. Nice as it was it means absolutely bugger all in the grand scheme of things.  League is the bread and butter. Still a chance but it’s fading at the moment. Maybe the break will bring a new winning run.  

From some of your posts Len you’ve been following city longer than my 35 years but I can happily pick one of the many, many seasons in Div 3/4 with early cup exits that I would class as more mediocre than this and last season. I’m sure you can as well.

3 minutes ago, keflav said:

Lansdown does not have to change his ethos just adjust it to be in line with all the teams around you are competing with...

Do you think he will?

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

Well you must have some thought as to how to make it better otherwise you wouldn’t be able to say that it’s bad now.

Make it better?

i thought we were accepting we are taking part! ?

better? Well. Experienced head coach? One who doesnt continually make same errors season on season?

im not in an LJ in/out camp. I actually see good reason in stability. 

However, if we arent going to perhaps spend so big on players, perhaps emply the experience of a head coach/manager that doesnt have the constant naievity of ours or employ the tinkerman tactics?

either way not my choice and just one of many many differing opinions. 

Whilst tonight was shite, all i could think of was those poor sagheads sat on ####ing scaffolding at Gillingham in this weather. So a bit of championship averageness really aint that bad i guess!!

3 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Make it better?

i thought we were accepting we are taking part! ?

I always want city to do better Nik, but you are not going to change Steve Lansdown.

Again though, I still stand by that in my 35 years following city there is no way I would class these last two as mediocre. That to me is ridiculous. The start of the 2017/18 I saw possibly the best football played in Bristol in 30 years. It was skillful, quick, incisive and tore teams apart. It wasn’t mediocre.

From some of your posts Len you’ve been following city longer than my 35 years but I can happily pick one of the many, many seasons in Div 3/4 with early cup exits that I would class as more mediocre than this and last season. I’m sure you can as well.

Do you think he will?

No not quite mate. Bit younger than that (first game in 1988 aged 10 so not much mind!) but interesting you think that. Of course we’ve all seen worse and I appreciate that, I appreciate the progress we have made these last few seasons, and those cup runs were great. But we’ve had such fantastic chances these last two seasons especially (forget the last play off for now - too far gone although the pattern is the same) to make real real progress in the league, where it really matters and we haven’t made those final changes to the squad to make a real difference.  That’s the frustration.  But it’s not over yet this season. We could still do it.  But nights like tonight aren’t going to help and there is naturally frustration as a result. 

SL has a vision for the club and he has backed LJ from the moment he brought him in.

To an extent the club has improved  beyond expectations with SL’s investments and LJ has been safe in the knowledge that SL has kept backing him through some very worrying times. 

Both the Lansdowns were at the game this evening and I would dearly love to hear what they are saying privately about tonight’s effort and indeed the efforts of the last few weeks.

I am sure that by now there have be some doubts in the minds of the Lansdown family regarding LJ and his decisions - City should be the jewel in the crown for Bristol Sport - instead we are fast becoming the “nearly men” and if we continue on our present course top 6 will slip away - what will have happen for that to change?

2 hours ago, mozo said:

The thing that concerns me is that we could lose 3/4 of our better players (Kalas, Da Silva, Kelly, Brownhill) and have to rebuild again, probably keeping some weaker players in the squad.

I think you’re right. Kalas isn’t staying. His tone on RB on Saturday and his actions last night demonstrated that.

Shame LJ talks of being pleased with a point. At home and pushing for top 6 against a side that’s bottom. **** me.

And Lansdown. Here we go again I hear many say.....

The man who made us proud. Who’s done so much for the club. **** me. If he ran HL like he allows our club to be run he’d be ******* bankrupt.

Best thing about last night? Time with the boy. Oh and collecting his birthday present. An original 77 away shirt to go with the home one.

From a time before all this shit. When we were entertained. When Lansdown was dreaming of making money in his bedroom. When LJ was nothing more than an egg in a Fallopian tube.

Those was the days.....

SL obviously loves the club but look at the difference with the rugby. Going nowhere under the old coach so brings in a proven winner who does the job. They then bring in good international players sprinkled with young up and coming players. The difference is quite astonishing. 

7 hours ago, 054123 said:

Agreed, at least this at this point in time, I feel like we are genuinely establishing ourselves as a good Championship team, unlike last time where you always felt it was a bubble about to burst.

There was nothing good about our last game against the worst team in this div, hope you enjoy your same old same old forthcoming seasons.

Pride and passion is missing, I for one will not be visiting AG until it changes.

2 hours ago, mozo said:

The thing that concerns me is that we could lose 3/4 of our better players (Kalas, Da Silva, Kelly, Brownhill) and have to rebuild again, probably keeping some weaker players in the squad.

Think you are being optimistic with the could and low on the players that will be off, you know those with ambition to move forward.

Should be no surprise though as it happens every season recently. What are we building again.....a squad/team where we keep the best and sale the rest ? def not.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

This very rich mans number one goal is to make us a club that can carry on competing without him. Where would we be without him? Relegation zone? League one? With a pretty poor ground by today's standards and no new training ground on the way. Look at how many fantastic young players we have coming through. Would we have all this without Lansdown? Doubt it. 

These fantastic young players how many are there? and will we actually keep any for more than a season from those that establish themselves in the first team, they will be cashed in on as soon as they are worth anything. Then what build again?

As for the ground how much do we make from it and how much is it costing us to, how much of its matchday and non matchday income goes directly to the club? We share this ground with others and have no control over its inhabitants.

Rather have the old ground and proper passion filled footie back any day......progress not imo.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

This very rich mans number one goal is to make us a club that can carry on competing without him. Where would we be without him? Relegation zone? League one? With a pretty poor ground by today's standards and no new training ground on the way. Look at how many fantastic young players we have coming through. Would we have all this without Lansdown? Doubt it. 

It’s nearly impossible for clubs to be self sustaining, why sl believs city can do it only he knows, there’s a pattern forming with our seasons and it’s getting worring , last night was like watching paint dry

7 hours ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Not for me thanks.. you can enjoy a life of mediocrity. I remember a different era when the club at least seemed like it belonged to the fans and not this very rich man, who keeps what was once felt like our club under his own control and its not up for debate...

Top post, from your name date we are from the same era, I think we are going to have to settle for our memories of proper days at the game, yes some lows but  highs as well. The SL empire is becoming bigger and it seems difficult now for anyone to come in and extract our club from it, the die is cast as they say, we are now part of something else.

East, East Eastenders gone but never forgotten. ☹️

4 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Swansea and reading both built grounds then decent teams.

Last 12 months we have had 2 excellent cup runs, we get gates of over 20000 every week, arguably the best crop of young players in years, and still in the play off mix.

No cause to moan in my book.

We will be in the premiership in 2 years.

Would you like a bet on that , winnings go to chsw?

7 hours ago, keflav said:

and this acceptance of mediocrity by the management, manager, players and some fans is why we never reach the promise land of the premiership, the lack of total ambition and willing to accept this is utterly astounding...

The same people who probably do the following:

• Constantly talk about Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan

• Most likely clapped and cheered last night when Skuse came on

• Clap Holloway every time he comes to AG

Embarrassing mentality 

5 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Swansea and reading both built grounds then decent teams.

Last 12 months we have had 2 excellent cup runs, we get gates of over 20000 every week, arguably the best crop of young players in years, and still in the play off mix.

No cause to moan in my book.

We will be in the premiership in 2 years.

both of those teams are struggling, the last 12months has brought 2 exceedingly bad Jan windows, where we tried to do it on the cheap this followed by a fall down the table; we will not be in the play off mix very much longer or make the prem in my lifetime if things don't change.

Archived