IGNORED

This is The Club Lansdown has Built, Accept it

3 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Good point mate but I was saying how much easier it is to attract players when you show that you have ambition to move on.

That's a fair point. Kalas though I believe was highly sought after at this level- 2 promotions and 2 playoffs in 4 seasons at 2 PL/Championship yoyo sides...getting him- that was pretty good.

However feel we missed a trick with Assombalonga- I'm pro the sustainable, well I say sustainable I mean keeping to FFP approach but that was one that could have been possible and given us that extra impetus.

2 hours ago, SX227 said:

Again

The  Lansdown family have spent pocket change on BS

They will get 30% back on selling those lovely 500 apts currently for sale.

So how much has SL spent?

£100,000,000?

SL is worth £2,500,000,000.

Let that sink in.

Friggin pocket change.

When the apts are sold, hey £20 - 30,000,000 back.

Plus the soon-to-be-rezoned land

Plus the Bears and Flyers.

Plus the office block

Plus the carrot of the Prem.

SL will sell BS for much more than he has ever spent - 10x as much - and keep a fair chunk of AV housing.

Billionaires don't become billionaires by being stupid with money

I don't begrudge a singe £ Lansdown makes on BS but don't for one second think promotion is his goal.

Selling the franchise is - and then enjoying BCFC in the Prem, in his stand, with a healthy profit.

Kent,Diony,Walsh

Palmer

Promotion push?

If BCFC wanted to sign a top striker from Europe we could - all the 'ones for the future' could have been sold and fees and wages used for that.

Does anyone think that Moore, Bakinson etc would be in a Prem squad?

Seriously rich people stay rich by having an end game - Lansdown's is selling BS.

Then we can think of going up.

Bristol City 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

Yay!

Let's pretend FFP doesn't exist shall we...:yes:

Yes actually. Yes- £25m loss, promotion push

Holding onto Flint, Bryan, Reid last Jan and Flint especially summer 2017? Promotion push.

Adding to that, Diedhiou and Baker- not cheap? Promotion push.

Uncheap loans for Kent and Diony? Promotion push. No it didn't work and we spent the money poorly on players who were unsuited to us etc.

Steele, Pisano on frees- free in fee but not in wages. Bit of depth.

Woodrow on loan for full season and Leko for half-season won't have cost pennies.

Last season we did push it to our limits, but could those 4 loans especially have been money better spent? Of course.

This January perhaps and January 2008 are my big criticisms...

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

I think you have to agree that the last seasons have not been mediocre based on our past, that is for sure, but this season is dissapointing when the top 3 sides have not got parachute payments and we have a wage bill higher than two of them. It is not Villa, Stoke and WBA in the top 3 with double or even triple our wage bill.

With our resources it will always be a challenge, which means you have to be exceptional at recruitment and coaching. We are not,. The concept of stability is also nonsense, if you look over the last 15 years, the teams that have been promoted to the Prem have had managers that have done it within 2 seasons or have. taken a club on successive promotions from L1. There might be an exception, but you will need to look hard for it. 

Of course if our target is to be a stable mid table Championship side that is also OK because it is something we have not been over the last 30 years. IF Sl wants to see Premiership football , he is not going to that with LJ and Mark Ashton at the club. 

1 hour ago, CityCiderEd said:

SL obviously loves the club but look at the difference with the rugby. Going nowhere under the old coach so brings in a proven winner who does the job. They then bring in good international players sprinkled with young up and coming players. The difference is quite astonishing. 

I agree with both of you but I dont think you will Kansdown is going anywhere and if that’s the case the model he has built is the reality.

In truth weve rarely effected change at board level. The brief bounce we experienced at the end 90s with Scott Davidson was largely driven by Les Kew and his misappropriation of FA funds.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s the hope that kills.

Always does major and yet here we all are, about to do it all again next year.

10 hours ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Not for me thanks.. you can enjoy a life of mediocrity. I remember a different era when the club at least seemed like it belonged to the fans and not this very rich man, who keeps what was once felt like our club under his own control and its not up for debate...

The club has never been owned by the fans, in the old days it was owned/run by Harry Dolman there's always been somebody wealthy at the helm

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Spot on. Prawn sandwiches and corporate entertainment will always come 2nd to playing in the Prem. Harry Dolman would have never settled for mid table mediocrity. Enough said!

Harry Dolman obviously loved this club a great deal.

He was chairman between 1949-74. A long distinguished tenure.

I don’t think I need to say anymore.

40 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

The problem we have is Johnson is a safe bet for lansdown. He won't ask for much and will be happy to fall in line with the owner. Johnson has done well without spending much money in comparison to other teams. However, as I said he is a safe bet. If Johnson were to leave, do fans actually expect us to bring in a big 'name'? A manager who is potentially a bit controversial? Would demand a transfer kitty and would demand the right players? Absolutely not. Lansdown will always go for the safe and cosy option to suit cosy Bristol City. A homely family club who are happy to float around mid-table and just miss out on the play-offs every season. 

Other teams seem to have that want and desire to get that extra forward in to get over the line. But as Bristol City fans, we are conditioned to be disappointed at the end of a season, forever rebuilding when Kalas and co. Leave at the end of this season. A team forever starting again when we've had to sell our best players and replace them. 

Lansdown is happy with the championship and that is where we will stay. I hope that's ok with you lot.

I think you are right - nowhere near the bottom three and averaging 20k+ crowds - from his prospective what’s not to like?

The problem is going to come when a percentage of the 20k plus decide to vote with their feet......

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

So long as club generated income/surplus for rolling FFP can afford it?

That said, Assombalonga loan January..if only. 

If only, was there really no proven forward firepower available in Jan my guess is there was but we wouldn't pay what was wanted.

Lets think about this for a minute if we get/got to the prem one day in the future would you give multi millions to LJ and co to establish a team/squad capable of staying there?

SL must be very nervous as currently "pocket money" is involved at little risk...will we ever go for it.....i.e keep our best and bring in proven players to supplement them, don't think so.

SL plan to build a club to get to the prem involves very little outlay/risk sensible for a business but not very exciting for its paying customers

11 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

If only, was there really no proven forward firepower available in Jan my guess is there was but we wouldn't pay what was wanted.

Lets think about this for a minute if we get/got to the prem one day in the future would you give multi millions to LJ and co to establish a team/squad capable of staying there?

SL must be very nervous as currently "pocket money" is involved at little risk...will we ever go for it.....i.e keep our best and bring in proven players to supplement them, don't think so.

SL plan to build a club to get to the prem involves very little outlay/risk sensible for a business but not very exciting for its paying customers

I'd argue it is possible to interchange 'couldn't' and 'wouldn't' but maybe we're in a better position than I think. Hogan on loan would have been nice too, but much more effective- save for his red card last night- has been Madine. Who few people would have been excited by but his record at Sheff Utd on loan speaks for itself- yet who has had the better career?

If he got us there, he more than deserves the chance wouldn't you say? However I see where you're going with this.

I'd like to say yes, when the time is right. This summer should be one in which we keep our best, as well as try to sign Kalas and Da Silva permanently- and then seeing what we can do within the parameters of our finances. If we can sell Baker or upgrade Diedhiou that would surely help too...may need to a bit creative in the market. I'm dreaming here but sell Baker, Diedhiou, sign Kalas, Da Silva on a perm...and Che Adams up top. Fill out some spaces with returning loanees we think can do alright, sell those who we don't.

Nothing sensible about the bulk of Championship club finances ?...we're one of the better ones but that just shows how messed up a lot of them are.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd argue it is possible to interchange 'couldn't' and 'wouldn't' but maybe we're in a better position than I think. Hogan on loan would have been nice too, but much more effective- save for his red card last night- has been Madine. Who few people would have been excited by but his record at Sheff Utd on loan speaks for itself- yet who has had the better career?

If he got us there, he more than deserves the chance wouldn't you say? However I see where you're going with this.

I'd like to say yes, when the time is right. This summer should be one in which we keep our best, as well as try to sign Kalas and Da Silva permanently- and then seeing what we can do within the parameters of our finances. If we can sell Baker or upgrade Diedhiou that would surely help too...may need to a bit creative in the market. I'm dreaming here but sell Baker, Diedhiou, sign Kalas, Da Silva on a perm...and Che Adams up top. Fill out some spaces with returning loanees we think can do alright, sell those who we don't.

Nothing sensible about the bulk of Championship club finances ?...we're one of the better ones but that just shows how messed up a lot of them are.

All true, everyone wants as much as possible for as little as possible; would be nice to bring in a decent forward and keep him to build around same goes for the defence, Kalas signed would be good but cant see it, as wages and his ambition could get in the way.

Ah well silk purse from a sows ear, quest to carry on it is then.

1 minute ago, Bri Stool City said:

All true, everyone wants as much as possible for as little as possible; would be nice to bring in a decent forward and keep him to build around same goes for the defence, Kalas signed would be good but cant see it, as wages and his ambition could get in the way.

Ah well silk purse from a sows ear, quest to carry on it is then.

Indeed.

What I'm saying though is now is a more opportune time to do this than last January, last summer or even perhaps this January. Let's hope SL agrees and follows through with this- I see the plan as not a terrible one but I question whether the club have the necessary flexibility and speed built in to seize a moment (subject to finances) when it arises.

11 hours ago, 054123 said:

I honestly don’t know what people expect.

This is the model Lansdown has built and this is who we are.

Its not a bad thing, indeed if we finish top 10 this year it will be the second most successful 3 year period in 40 years!

The only better time was between 2008-2010 and even then we were on the decline.

It doesn’t mean we won’t ever have that season that breaks right for us and we go up, but the truth is clubs doing it the Lansdown way have a far slimmer chance of promotion than the those who just spend their way out of it.

This season has been great at times and who knows what lies in store? 

Either way, the model isn’t going to change and even if Johnson was replaced, it would be with someone who fits, not just s big name who would expect a budget to match.

Yeah we’ve gone off the boil a bit, but the majority of clubs do at some point , if they didn’t we’d all be top ?

Just enjoy it for what it is.

As a football fan that is what I look forward to every Saturday. Grabbing mid-table from the grasp of promotion.

1 minute ago, jj77 said:

As a football fan that is what I look forward to every Saturday. Grabbing mid-table from the grasp of promotion.

:laugh:, I look forward to not knocking around division 3 in front of 10k people, as was our MO for so very, very long

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

:laugh:, I look forward to not knocking around division 3 in front of 10k people, as was our MO for so very, very long

Ah, but it was better back then when fans were real fans and you pissed against a wall..

Non of this Premier rubbish.

13 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Ah, but it was better back then when fans were real fans and you pissed against a wall..

Non of this Premier rubbish.

?

Can’t l disagree that it was much more ‘fun’ but in footballing terms it so much better now.

41 minutes ago, 054123 said:

?

Can’t l disagree that it was much more ‘fun’ but in footballing terms it so much better now.

Truthfully, though now I've calmed down a bit, I'm not happy with recent results or displays as a sustained period this is one of the best spells on the pitch as far as results go in our history. Additionally, Commercially never been better, attendances at this level not been as good as this (I know the tickets sold v actual attendees disconnect), the academy has not had this sort of level since when- the 70's?

For all the current frustrations, there is still a lot that is going right ultimately...but the higher we get the harder it gets. Maybe this summer we can do a mix of keeping key players, one or 2 in and some clever player trading...:fingerscrossed:

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Truthfully, though now I've calmed down a bit, I'm not happy with recent results or displays as a sustained period this is one of the best spells on the pitch as far as results go in our history. Additionally, Commercially never been better, attendances at this level not been as good as this (I know the tickets sold v actual attendees disconnect), the academy has not had this sort of level since when- the 70's?

For all the current frustrations, there is still a lot that is going right ultimately...but the higher we get the harder it gets. Maybe this summer we can do a mix of keeping key players, one or 2 in and some clever player trading...:fingerscrossed:

I agree with you. I have deep concerns about Lee Johnson as whilst he may not be as ‘streaky’ as is popularised, our form just seems to disappear and he doesn’t know why. 

For all that, I cannot accept that the last couple of years have been mediocre and for much of the 80s,90s and early 00s we were way behind where we currently are.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://offthepitch.com/a/championship-far-most-exciting-league-europe-also-most-bizarre

Just to prove how it has gone to **** in terms of financial sanity...

Couple of caveats. Some of those are in receipt of parachute payments which tends to bring down operating losses, plus clubs at the high end are aggressively pursuing the dream which invariably pushes them up. Player sales help offset these.

Fundamentally the problem as I see it - Lansdown sees City in purely business terms. Fair enough, hardly anything unusual in that these days.

But then he sees LJ as a something of a pet rather than the head of his organization who is tasked with getting results. Where is the accountability? Saying “I’m quite happy with a point” against a team long since doomed for the drop should have SL tearing a strip off him.

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's pretend FFP doesn't exist shall we...:yes:

Yes actually. Yes- £25m loss, promotion push

Holding onto Flint, Bryan, Reid last Jan and Flint especially summer 2017? Promotion push.

Adding to that, Diedhiou and Baker- not cheap? Promotion push.

Uncheap loans for Kent and Diony? Promotion push. No it didn't work and we spent the money poorly on players who were unsuited to us etc.

Steele, Pisano on frees- free in fee but not in wages. Bit of depth.

Woodrow on loan for full season and Leko for half-season won't have cost pennies.

Last season we did push it to our limits, but could those 4 loans especially have been money better spent? Of course.

This January perhaps and January 2008 are my big criticisms...

You know my views on FFP and how I think SL uses it to justify his apathy towards BCFC.

All what we’ve debated previously is undoubtedly true. But as you know I question the decision making behind the actions.

Many on hear think I’m mad. I hope time proves me wrong. But after 14 months of unfulfilled potential, the rubbish we saw last night and the reactions from many of those who are paid handsomely to put those sort of displays on I fear this is the brave new world....

15 hours ago, davidoldfart said:

Good post...pity all the Johnson haters in the Landsdown stand around me do not read this ,so blinkered in their hatered of Johnson They become boring ,every match,our players are rubbish,our manager is clueless  etc etc ...wonder why they bother coming.

I don’t sit in my season ticket seat for the same reasons . Constructive is ok . Hatred is not  . I’m not saying LJ is the best but he’s certainly not the village idiot football wise , unlike the belters we’ve both discribed !!

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

You know my views on FFP and how I think SL uses it to justify his apathy towards BCFC.

All what we’ve debated previously is undoubtedly true. But as you know I question the decision making behind the actions.

Many on hear think I’m mad. I hope time proves me wrong. But after 14 months of unfulfilled potential, the rubbish we saw last night and the reactions from many of those who are paid handsomely to put those sort of displays on I fear this is the brave new world....

Assombalonga in January despite all my usual caution, I would have gone for that loan. We really missed a trick there I fear.

Think it could be used to justify bits of overcaution, that I will concede.

I think the brave new world may not be so bad if- and it's a big if- the dice is rolled when the chance arises both on the pitch and financially. January 2008 was an example of us not doing so (FFP was barely even discussed as a concept). This January? Yeah think we could have justified an Assombalonga loan- shame we didn't manage to get it through if the figures @Kid in the Riot cited are true.

23 hours ago, 054123 said:

What’s been mediocre about finishing 11th and where ever this year ends up, league cup semis, fa cup 5th round and beating 5 premiship teams along the way?

I get massively frustrated with Lee a Johnson not being able to sort out these ridiculous periods where we not only drop points but lose all form, however to act like the last couple of seasons have been awful is simply ridiculous.

We now average over 20k at home ffs. I’m sure you can remover like I can knocking around div4/3 in front of anywhere from a thousand to even only 7k in the mid nineties.

Explain to me the alternative here and now

Im talking about our history. for the size of the City we have had the poorest history out of all clubs from major Cities. Fact

And we have to listen to the same reasons and its acceptance .

On 12/03/2019 at 23:01, 054123 said:

I honestly don’t know what people expect.

This is the model Lansdown has built and this is who we are.

Its not a bad thing, indeed if we finish top 10 this year it will be the second most successful 3 year period in 40 years!

The only better time was between 2008-2010 and even then we were on the decline.

It doesn’t mean we won’t ever have that season that breaks right for us and we go up, but the truth is clubs doing it the Lansdown way have a far slimmer chance of promotion than the those who just spend their way out of it.

This season has been great at times and who knows what lies in store? 

Either way, the model isn’t going to change and even if Johnson was replaced, it would be with someone who fits, not just s big name who would expect a budget to match.

Yeah we’ve gone off the boil a bit, but the majority of clubs do at some point , if they didn’t we’d all be top ?

Just enjoy it for what it is.

Lansdown’s Model....yep.  But Lansdown wants playoffs....10th is not what he wants.

On 12/03/2019 at 23:28, davidoldfart said:

Good post...pity all the Johnson haters in the Landsdown stand around me do not read this ,so blinkered in their hatered of Johnson They become boring ,every match,our players are rubbish,our manager is clueless  etc etc ...wonder why they bother coming.

What we need to understand is what are the parameters of success that SL sets LJ?  When SL says playoffs, is that bravado to the media / fans, but inside he’s saying “Lee, just beat last years 11th without losing £25m”.  We don’t know, we hear selective sound bites.

If LJ has taken on the challenge of play-offs he’s currently on target.  To moan about results is a bit much when we are where we are.  Where we finish will dictate mood.  We can of course moan about the style, but that might be irrelevant unless it affects bums on seats.  Crowds have been better this season despite imho worse football.  

Archived