IGNORED

This is The Club Lansdown has Built, Accept it

7 hours ago, nickolas said:

This post smacks of an ethos and opinion of ‘its the taking part that counts’.

absolutely not. Sport is for winning. If you dont want to win and simply happy to take part then competitive, hard nosed sport is the wrong game for many. 

Im fed up of the ‘but if you’d have said top 6 at start of season we’d take it’ comments. 2nd season running we are bottling promotion/playoffs. 

Granted its year on year progression but from the positions weve been in, our finishing league position is actual decline, to some respect, imo. 

We are Bristol City. Footballing backwater. Nice place to live. Nice easy lifestyle. Nice nice nice. 

About time we had a bit of bottle and stood up to be counted imo. 

Exactly....I want a nasty bastard club, not ******* bucolic, grass chewing, sheep botherers, which is how most of the country perceive us.

Again

The  Lansdown family have spent pocket change on BS

They will get 30% back on selling those lovely 500 apts currently for sale.

So how much has SL spent?

£100,000,000?

SL is worth £2,500,000,000.

Let that sink in.

Friggin pocket change.

When the apts are sold, hey £20 - 30,000,000 back.

Plus the soon-to-be-rezoned land

Plus the Bears and Flyers.

Plus the office block

Plus the carrot of the Prem.

SL will sell BS for much more than he has ever spent - 10x as much - and keep a fair chunk of AV housing.

Billionaires don't become billionaires by being stupid with money

I don't begrudge a singe £ Lansdown makes on BS but don't for one second think promotion is his goal.

Selling the franchise is - and then enjoying BCFC in the Prem, in his stand, with a healthy profit.

Kent,Diony,Walsh

Palmer

Promotion push?

If BCFC wanted to sign a top striker from Europe we could - all the 'ones for the future' could have been sold and fees and wages used for that.

Does anyone think that Moore, Bakinson etc would be in a Prem squad?

Seriously rich people stay rich by having an end game - Lansdown's is selling BS.

Then we can think of going up.

Bristol City 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

Yay!

1 hour ago, CityCiderEd said:

SL obviously loves the club but look at the difference with the rugby. Going nowhere under the old coach so brings in a proven winner who does the job. They then bring in good international players sprinkled with young up and coming players. The difference is quite astonishing. 

The comparison with the rugby is flawed as they work on a much lower budget. Pat Lam will be on less money that LJ and the best rugby player is on less a week than Nathan Baker

4 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Again

£100,000,000?

Let that sink in.

Friggin pocket change.

Plus the office block

SL will sell BS for much more than he has ever spent - 10x as much - and keep a fair chunk of AV housing.

I don't begrudge a singe £ Lansdown makes on BS but don't for one second think promotion is his goal.

Selling the franchise is - and then enjoying BCFC in the Prem, in his stand, with a healthy profit.

Kent,Diony,Walsh

Palmer

Promotion push?

If BCFC wanted to sign a top striker from Europe we could - all the 'ones for the future' could have been sold and fees and wages used for that.

Seriously rich people stay rich by having an end game - Lansdown's is selling BS.

Yay!

Wowzers.

Someone else who sees that Emperor Lansdown is in fact stark bollock naked.

He’s having our pants down. But let’s be grateful. We have a lovely stadium where we can now have a coffee or a chunky sheep pie.

Meanwhile what football fans come day in day out to see is poor. We can talk about progress, top 6 at the moment, and life at Failand but I’d swap all that if it means gutless performances like we’ve had to endure most of this season.

And why oh why LJ persists with FD upfront is beyond me.

He might be from Senegal. He might even live in Knowle. But he ain’t good enough...

10 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Again

£100,000,000?

Let that sink in.

Friggin pocket change.

Plus the office block

Kent,Diony,Walsh

Palmer

Promotion push?

Yay!

Unfortunately SL cant go around spending tens of millions on new signings. In an ideal, Football Manager world he could, but in reality its completely unviable

7 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Wowzers.

Someone else who sees that Emperor Lansdown is in fact stark bollock naked.

He’s having our pants down. But let’s be grateful. We have a lovely stadium where we can now have a coffee or a chunky sheep pie.

Meanwhile what football fans come day in day out to see is poor. We can talk about progress, top 6 at the moment, and life at Failand but I’d swap all that if it means gutless performances like we’ve had to endure most of this season.

And why oh why LJ persists with FD upfront is beyond me.

He might be from Senegal. He might even live in Knowle. But he ain’t good enough...

Been posting this for nearly a year mate

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Unfortunately SL cant go around spending tens of millions on new signings. In an ideal, Football Manager world he could, but in reality its completely unviable

Utter rubbish.

We all wanted a decent proven striker in Jan

Search in Europe 

Sell the deadwood - god knows there is enough - Evans, Moore, Bakinson the 4 at Torquay etc

BS did not need to spend £20,000,000

They needed to use the highly promoted and vaunted scouting system they boast about and sign a bruising goal scoring physical forward from Europe.

And, having blown all that money on the loan fees of Diony and Kent 2 yrs ago - whilst recouping some £20,000,000 on Flint,Reid and JB - a £8-10,000,000 striker was easily affordable.

If promotion was the aim - the 'deadwood' would not be anywhere near a BCFC Prem side.

So get rid and give it a go - or keep and stay nice and snug in the champ.

Coz it's all about getting better every year.

But just falling at the last hurdle.

FFS BCFC 1- 1 ITFC

7th v bottom and still the excuses flow.

8 hours ago, 054123 said:

I honestly don’t know what people expect.

This is the model Lansdown has built and this is who we are.

Its not a bad thing, indeed if we finish top 10 this year it will be the second most successful 3 year period in 40 years!

The only better time was between 2008-2010 and even then we were on the decline.

It doesn’t mean we won’t ever have that season that breaks right for us and we go up, but the truth is clubs doing it the Lansdown way have a far slimmer chance of promotion than the those who just spend their way out of it.

This season has been great at times and who knows what lies in store? 

Either way, the model isn’t going to change and even if Johnson was replaced, it would be with someone who fits, not just s big name who would expect a budget to match.

Yeah we’ve gone off the boil a bit, but the majority of clubs do at some point , if they didn’t we’d all be top ?

Just enjoy it for what it is.

It’s the hope that kills.

7 hours ago, bris red said:

But Johnson has never won promotion out of this division..he has never won a promotion in his career as a manager so i dont trust he actually knew in this January or the one last year what was truly needed to see us over the line. We dont have the know how or the guile at the top of this football club to know what it takes to get out of this league as bugger all of our employees have ever done it!! 

Kalas has won promotion more than once and his comments after the Leeds game compared to LJ's after last night's tell you everything about the club's lack of leadership

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Kalas has won promotion more than once and his comments after the Leeds game compared to LJ's after last night's tell you everything about the club's lack of leadership

and why he will be out the door soon

17 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Utter rubbish.

We all wanted a decent proven striker in Jan

Search in Europe 

Sell the deadwood - god knows there is enough - Evans, Moore, Bakinson the 4 at Torquay etc

BS did not need to spend £20,000,000

They needed to use the highly promoted and vaunted scouting system they boast about and sign a bruising goal scoring physical forward from Europe.

And, having blown all that money on the loan fees of Diony and Kent 2 yrs ago - whilst recouping some £20,000,000 on Flint,Reid and JB - a £8-10,000,000 striker was easily affordable.

If promotion was the aim - the 'deadwood' would not be anywhere near a BCFC Prem side.

So get rid and give it a go - or keep and stay nice and snug in the champ.

Coz it's all about getting better every year.

But just falling at the last hurdle.

FFS BCFC 1- 1 ITFC

7th v bottom and still the excuses flow.

And I'm sure the club wanted a decent striker in January... 

It's also interesting you call those three deadwood, I see them as young players with potential to still make it. However if we were to sell them now, 0 chance we'd get over 2 million for the 3 of them, hardly worthwhile when they could be worth that each in a couple of years. 

You talk about searching in Europe. If you want a top quality championship player they aren't going to come cheaply and very few clubs are going to want to sell their star strikers anyway. 

We did recoup 20 million on Flint, Reid and Bryan however, as I'm sure you haven't forgotten we brought players in to replace them in January, who would have easily paid for the money we got from them 3.

We could have easily smashed our transfer record transfer record on a quality striker in January, but who knows if they would have been any good? Diony looked to be that striker last year with his record, how did that turn out? 

We could easily take your way of doing it and sell of all of our academy players as they are 'deadwood' and use that to bring in a few decent players who could give us a season of Premier league football, but long term how would that work out? Not very well I'd imagine...

If you want to see us give it a go, in the way other sides have done, and risk our long term future off the back of it, then that's fine by me, but I'd rather see our club was sustainable in the long run

Oh and you keep on mentioning bottom of the league. That's the same ipswich who drew at west brom on Saturday, West Brom who have spent big on strikers, just like what you want us to do... 

9 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

And I'm sure the club wanted a decent striker in January... 

It's also interesting you call those three deadwood, I see them as young players with potential to still make it. However if we were to sell them now, 0 chance we'd get over 2 million for the 3 of them, hardly worthwhile when they could be worth that each in a couple of years. 

You talk about searching in Europe. If you want a top quality championship player they aren't going to come cheaply and very few clubs are going to want to sell their star strikers anyway. 

We did recoup 20 million on Flint, Reid and Bryan however, as I'm sure you haven't forgotten we brought players in to replace them in January, who would have easily paid for the money we got from them 3.

We could have easily smashed our transfer record transfer record on a quality striker in January, but who knows if they would have been any good? Diony looked to be that striker last year with his record, how did that turn out? 

We could easily take your way of doing it and sell of all of our academy players as they are 'deadwood' and use that to bring in a few decent players who could give us a season of Premier league football, but long term how would that work out? Not very well I'd imagine...

If you want to see us give it a go, in the way other sides have done, and risk our long term future off the back of it, then that's fine by me, but I'd rather see our club was sustainable in the long run

And how long would you like the long run from the top flight to be?

After 40 odd years it's getting a bit tedious.

Long-term future?

We aren't Bolton or Coventry!

Or the Gas...

The acceptance of mediocrity with the 7th richest bloke in the UK as our owner is mindblowing.

But hey, we did beat Manure in the cup....

3 minutes ago, SX227 said:

And how long would you like the long run from the top flight to be?

After 40 odd years it's getting a bit tedious.

Long-term future?

We aren't Bolton or Coventry!

Or the Gas...

The acceptance of mediocrity with the 7th richest bloke in the UK as our owner is mindblowing.

But hey, we did beat Manure in the cup....

The fact he's one of the richest blokes in the country means absolutely nothing with FFP involved, the sooner people realise that the better. 

And we could very easily turn into a Bolton or Coventry if we took your route... 

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Swansea and reading both built grounds then decent teams.

Last 12 months we have had 2 excellent cup runs, we get gates of over 20000 every week, arguably the best crop of young players in years, and still in the play off mix.

No cause to moan in my book.

We will be in the premiership in 2 years.

Take and accept all your points except, the last one.

I fear we don’t have the nous to get promoted and I doubt that is going to change.

yes, we have a crop of young players who may well have good careers, but that won’t be here, they will be sold as soon as an acceptable offer is made.

Players like Kalas will come and then go - money will play a part in that but so will ambition.

If we take Kalas as an example, he may have been thinking in Jan, we could make the play-offs, club bound to strengthen - then we dont. It’s not just the money that will see him go in May. Too many people on here get caught up in that view, if the secret was to spend big Villa would be 15 points clear with Stoke behind them.

There is much more to it than cash.

8 hours ago, nickolas said:

This post smacks of an ethos and opinion of ‘its the taking part that counts’.

absolutely not. Sport is for winning. If you dont want to win and simply happy to take part then competitive, hard nosed sport is the wrong game for many. 

Im fed up of the ‘but if you’d have said top 6 at start of season we’d take it’ comments. 2nd season running we are bottling promotion/playoffs. 

Granted its year on year progression but from the positions weve been in, our finishing league position is actual decline, to some respect, imo. 

We are Bristol City. Footballing backwater. Nice place to live. Nice easy lifestyle. Nice nice nice. 

About time we had a bit of bottle and stood up to be counted imo. 

Spot on. Prawn sandwiches and corporate entertainment will always come 2nd to playing in the Prem. Harry Dolman would have never settled for mid table mediocrity. Enough said!

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

The comparison with the rugby is flawed as they work on a much lower budget. Pat Lam will be on less money that LJ and the best rugby player is on less a week than Nathan Baker

The comparison with the rugby maybe flawed but my point was about replacing a coach with a proven winner and then building a squad (46 players) with a good amount of seasoned internationals and up and coming local talent. SL wanted progression which he got at a cost but is being repaid with good crowds and regular tv coverage while he seems happy for City to plod along in the championship with a remit of sustainability.That will only ever be achieved by selling your best players season on season and starting again.

16 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

The comparison with the rugby maybe flawed but my point was about replacing a coach with a proven winner and then building a squad (46 players) with a good amount of seasoned internationals and up and coming local talent. SL wanted progression which he got at a cost but is being repaid with good crowds and regular tv coverage while he seems happy for City to plod along in the championship with a remit of sustainability.That will only ever be achieved by selling your best players season on season and starting again.

But it's so much easier to build a decent squad in a rugby than football financially, there is nothing to compare as they are such different sports with drastically different finances required to succeed 

9 hours ago, 054123 said:

Quite possibly, back to 10k and under like the majority of the 80s and 90s In which we still blindly followed hoping for the day we might start knocking on the door of div 1 again.

Yep, so what would you do differently?

What many of us have been saying for the last three years of boom and bust.

Get an experienced manager with a proven record of winning a promotion or two. LJ was hardly a great player but his only experience of a manager then was his father. And as a manager, he has won absolutely zero.

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

But it's so much easier to build a decent squad in a rugby than football financially, there is nothing to compare as they are such different sports with drastically different finances required to succeed 

But it's so much easier to sign top players when you show them you are ambitious and forward thinking.Try selling City to a top player who knows the owner wants self sustainability and it becomes much harder. The rugby player sees other top players signing,nice ground,good crowds and great city to live in. The top footballer looks and thinks no real ambition happy to be where they are.......no thanks. Perhaps that is why we struggle to get top forward signings over the line. It's not just the money.....

The problem we have is Johnson is a safe bet for lansdown. He won't ask for much and will be happy to fall in line with the owner. Johnson has done well without spending much money in comparison to other teams. However, as I said he is a safe bet. If Johnson were to leave, do fans actually expect us to bring in a big 'name'? A manager who is potentially a bit controversial? Would demand a transfer kitty and would demand the right players? Absolutely not. Lansdown will always go for the safe and cosy option to suit cosy Bristol City. A homely family club who are happy to float around mid-table and just miss out on the play-offs every season. 

Other teams seem to have that want and desire to get that extra forward in to get over the line. But as Bristol City fans, we are conditioned to be disappointed at the end of a season, forever rebuilding when Kalas and co. Leave at the end of this season. A team forever starting again when we've had to sell our best players and replace them. 

Lansdown is happy with the championship and that is where we will stay. I hope that's ok with you lot.

7 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

But it's so much easier to sign top players when you show them you are ambitious and forward thinking.Try selling City to a top player who knows the owner wants self sustainability and it becomes much harder. The rugby player sees other top players signing,nice ground,good crowds and great city to live in. The top footballer looks and thinks no real ambition happy to be where they are.......no thanks. Perhaps that is why we struggle to get top forward signings over the line. It's not just the money.....

Precisely 

9 hours ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Not for me thanks.. you can enjoy a life of mediocrity. I remember a different era when the club at least seemed like it belonged to the fans and not this very rich man, who keeps what was once felt like our club under his own control and its not up for debate...

I've followed City for 50 years and it's always belonged to a rich man;

Harry Dolman, Stephen Kew, Scott Davidson etc and now Lansdown.

Most of that 50 years (except 4 or 5 in the 70's and one in 2008) we've been lower than now!

COYR

Wish we'd signed Assombalonga on loan in January. Diedhiou just is becoming less effective over time- overuse?

I'll accept we were not likely to thrash Ipswich, not just because of ourselves but because they don't tend to get thrashed and their performances tend to outstrip results but that is very clearly 2 points dropped last night. With that, I fear our playoff hopes gone- I would love to be wrong on that.

18 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

11 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Precisely 

Different financial rules in rugby tbh, self sustainability at this level a misnomer anyway. Unless we're willing to be a yoyo between Championship and League One say, or a top end League One club...

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Different financial rules in rugby tbh, self sustainability at this level a misnomer anyway. Unless we're willing to be a yoyo between Championship and League One say, or a top end League One club...

Good point mate but I was saying how much easier it is to attract players when you show that you have ambition to move on.

16 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

The problem we have is Johnson is a safe bet for lansdown. He won't ask for much and will be happy to fall in line with the owner. Johnson has done well without spending much money in comparison to other teams. However, as I said he is a safe bet. If Johnson were to leave, do fans actually expect us to bring in a big 'name'? A manager who is potentially a bit controversial? Would demand a transfer kitty and would demand the right players? Absolutely not. Lansdown will always go for the safe and cosy option to suit cosy Bristol City. A homely family club who are happy to float around mid-table and just miss out on the play-offs every season. 

Other teams seem to have that want and desire to get that extra forward in to get over the line. But as Bristol City fans, we are conditioned to be disappointed at the end of a season, forever rebuilding when Kalas and co. Leave at the end of this season. A team forever starting again when we've had to sell our best players and replace them. 

Lansdown is happy with the championship and that is where we will stay. I hope that's ok with you lot.

YEP AGREE 100%

Archived