IGNORED

Johnson ready for final push

old_eastender

The title is the headline on the OS. Unfortunately it doesn't seem SL is ready to deliver that final push!

I honestly would after what was a new low last night on the latest LJ winless run. One of the telling factors leading to Cotts going was his absolute stubbornness to change from his favoured 3-5-2 formation even though it was not working. Now we have LJ showing the same absolute stubbornness to change from his favoured 1 up top even for home games against the bottom side. To compound this even after watching an insipid first half with Fammy battling isolated on his own, LJ fails to change it at HT by bringing on Taylor or Semenyo to play up top and support Fammy. He then watches Ipswich dominating at the start of the second half but changes nothing until it, all too predictably, becomes 1-1. Then when he does make subs it's like for like position wise and still we struggle with Fammy up top on his own. Finally in the 82nd minute Taylor comes on. Too little, far too late. Clueless, LJ really is. 

could not believe he said that until I checked...he did. So we all have a nice break and cuddle and come back........not ready or......"up to speed".

We in fact will not make one forward move up this table this season but hey Lee we go again next season ..right?

We were lucky to get a point last night against the poorest team in this div at home......enough said.

We have nothing up front a poor midfield and a dodgey keeper......watch out prem we are coming for you :facepalm:

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

The title is the headline on the OS. Unfortunately it doesn't seem SL is ready to deliver that final push!

I honestly would after what was a new low last night on the latest LJ winless run. One of the telling factors leading to Cotts going was his absolute stubbornness to change from his favoured 3-5-2 formation even though it was not working. Now we have LJ showing the same absolute stubbornness to change from his favoured 1 up top even for home games against the bottom side. To compound this even after watching an insipid first half with Fammy battling isolated on his own, LJ fails to change it at HT by bringing on Taylor or Semenyo to play up top and support Fammy. He then watches Ipswich dominating at the start of the second half but changes nothing until it, all too predictably, becomes 1-1. Then when he does make subs it's like for like position wise and still we struggle with Fammy up top on his own. Finally in the 82nd minute Taylor comes on. Too little, far too late. Clueless, LJ really is. 

Has improved us, despite losing his best 3 players in the summer and you say he's clueless.... in the words of Ace Ventura... Alrighty then!!

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Has improved us, despite losing his best 3 players in the summer and you say he's clueless.... in the words of Ace Ventura... Alrighty then!!

How much longer in this losing his best 3 players stuff going to be trotted out as an excuse? 

Flint was only allowed to leave after Webster's signing was in the bag, Webster is a far better defender than Flint (I do agree we miss Flint's goals though).

Bryan was replace by Dasilva and/or the emergence of Kelly, again defensively both better than Bryan.

Reid, well fair enough, not adequately replaced by Wiemann.

Also, all 3 of those players were at LJs disposal in the awful run in during the second half of last season, they didn't make the difference then as LJ lost the plot.

LJ talks a good game, that's it, how just how can you defend his handling of last night's match? 

Usual over-reaction, we don’t have a great squad and to achieve what we have is pretty amazing. The two up front has been tried and not worked as we get over-run in midfield. Chances are that Villa/ Forest/ Wednesday will overtake us, as we have a tough run in, too many games in April and no experienced keeper. Onwards and whatever

13 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

How much longer in this losing his best 3 players stuff going to be trotted out as an excuse? 

Flint was only allowed to leave after Webster's signing was in the bag, Webster is a far better defender than Flint (I do agree we miss Flint's goals though).

Bryan was replace by Dasilva and/or the emergence of Kelly, again defensively both better than Bryan.

Also, all 3 of those players were at LJs disposal in the awful run in during the second half of last season, they didn't make the difference then as LJ lost the plot.

LJ talks a good game, that's it, how just how can you defend his handling of last night's match? 

Used as an Excuse? How many other city managers would improve our position after losing their best players? not many! I've see city struggle after losing 1 player! let alone 3!

If we finish 11th or higher, he's worked wonders.

22 minutes ago, Riaz said:

He lost 3 players yes,

but has had 2 transfer windows to replace them,

johnson will never get this team promoted, he isn’t good enough, I’m expecting a 12 place finish now with our next win coming around April,

its just what he does

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Used as an Excuse? How many other city managers would improve our position after losing their best players? not many! I've see city struggle after losing 1 player! let alone 3!

If we finish 11th or higher, he's worked wonders.

And there we go. 

From 6th, 3/4 points clear of 7th with a game in hand, you’ll be happy to finish 10th. 

Amazing. 

12 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

What do you expect him to say ? Would you rather he said “probably it will go tits up like last year again”

Actually - You probably would

NAH wouldn't cut his own throat, looking after no1 and doing what he`s told; he talks a good game but works under the restrictions placed on him that got him the job.

28 minutes ago, Riaz said:

the end of the season will tell us if that statement is right, we have yet to scale the height reached last season, and imo will finish below last season as well......we will see.  

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Johnson ready for the final push as we approach the due date turns out that all he’s going to deliver is one long loud smelly fart .

:shocking:

? no likes left major but on the button.

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

And there we go. 

From 6th, 3/4 points clear of 7th with a game in hand, you’ll be happy to finish 10th. 

Amazing. 

Amazes me as well @Fordy62.It's the same old crap being churned out all the time like great cup run,we beat Manure etc.We will be a safe mid table team that occasionally has a flit with the play-offs. This is what sustainability gives you. Sell your best players year on year and rebuild again,it's like groundhog day.

2 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Amazes me as well @Fordy62.It's the same old crap being churned out all the time like great cup run,we beat Manure etc.We will be a safe mid table team that occasionally has a flit with the play-offs. This is what sustainability gives you. Sell your best players year on year and rebuild again,it's like groundhog day.

We've improved every season! without the mega richs of the other clubs we compete against, if you EXPECT more than that, you are off your head.

5 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

So you advocate something that is not sustainable? We operate within a realistic budget, do pretty well considering, but some people are still not satisfied. It’s just reality of competing alongside clubs with a much larger budget, and quite a few with parachute payments.

18 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Tbh, reading these may help to give a bit of context. Apologies for the snarky post also, was frustrated of reading the same things on here but also more importantly deeply frustrated by last nights display as we all are.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-5---financial-fair-play-regulations/

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01501663

34 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Excuse? Why does he need an excuse when we're 6th in the table, look at the facts, judge him over the whole season not a few minutes in one game.

Having said that, the final push...can't see it.

Think playoffs are done now, last night was such a must win- not saying a thrashing as it doesn't often work like that, but a must win. Had we won and got back into 6th then maybe a bit of confidence could have grown again but really we were a bit lucky to draw if anything. So flat, looked disjointed, too open...Diedhiou was terribly ineffective, drop or rest him next game IMO.

I don't wish to be a doom merchant, and I actually think that in general LJ has done an OK job this season, with a few proviso's!!    But everyone should take a look at the table today.............because after this evenings matches and Saturdays, I do not expect us to feature in the top six again this season.   I  truly hope like all City supporters that we have a successful run in "Ready for the final push" apparently?   But after last night and a look at our fixtures, starting with Sheff U. I am finding it hard to keep the faith.   i think  we will finish 8th.......but then again I didn't/couldn't conceive that we could go on a 15 game unbeaten run!.......however i am gonna take a good long look at todays table for sentimental reasons.  Ha!!

25 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

And there we go. 

Amazing. 

When was this then?

Only at our peak, after the win v QPR we were 2 ahead of Derby having played the same number of games. Or if we're talking after we beat QPR but their game in hand v Ipswich, it was 3 ahead having played a game more.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Having said that, the final push...can't see it.

Think playoffs are done now, last night was such a must win- not saying a thrashing as it doesn't often work like that, but a must win. Had we won and got back into 6th then maybe a bit of confidence could have grown again but really we were a bit lucky to draw if anything. So flat, looked disjointed, too open...Diedhiou was terribly ineffective, drop or rest him next game IMO.

Diedhiou doesn't need resting or dropping .........he needs support from another forward to help him.   `He has done well considering the system LJ persists with/

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When was this then?

Only at our peak, after the win v QPR we were 2 ahead of Derby having played the same number of games. Or if we're talking after we beat QPR but their game in hand v Ipswich, it was 3 ahead having played a game more.

Haha. There’s always one!

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Haha. There’s always one!

One point and one game- glad you realised your mistake? :whistle:

9 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Diedhiou doesn't need resting or dropping .........he needs support from another forward to help him.   `He has done well considering the system LJ persists with/

How do we go about that then?

Taylor and Diedhiou as a pair- who makes way and how do we solve the risk of losing midfield? Mind you I thought last nights lineup looked fairly alright with Eliasson, Paterson, Weimann and Diedhiou same side plus Hunt at RB...the balance just seems wrong at the minute though. We didn't exactly control midfield or come close to it last night...Leeds is a different case, they stylistically have some similarities to Wolves.

18 minutes ago, Riaz said:

We've improved every season! without the mega richs of the other clubs we compete against, if you EXPECT more than that, you are off your head.

I only ever ask that we’re not shit. 

Even amidst our winning run we were quite often poor. 

I expect Johnson to be able to see when things aren’t working and change them. Not sit back and hope that they iron themselves out - the 73rd minute! Honestly. 

If you’d had offered me 10th at the start of the season I’d have taken it. But people are allowed to reevaluate their standards based on where we are/were. 

10th now would be a royal disaster. And yet you’d be happy with it. 

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I expect Johnson to be able to see when things aren’t working and change them. Not sit back and hope that they iron themselves out - the 73rd minute! Honestly. 

If you’d had offered me 10th at the start of the season I’d have taken it. But people are allowed to reevaluate their standards based on where we are/were. 

If we finish in tenth place now I’d seriously consider changing the head coach .

That is if we really want progress which we probably don’t.

I am coming back to the impression that Uncle Steve is too nice to be a winner in football .

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If we finish in tenth place now I’d seriously consider changing the head coach .

That is if we really want progress which we probably don’t.

I am coming back to the impression that Uncle Steve is too nice to be a winner in football .

I'm not saying I want this to happen, but do you think Uncle Steve would consider giving Colin (Warnock) one last challenge?

35 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

10th is never a disaster for a club who has not been in the premier league and has very average crowds!! In fact its very good!

Archived