IGNORED

Johnson ready for final push

old_eastender

48 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm not saying I want this to happen, but do you think Uncle Steve would consider giving Colin (Warnock) one last challenge?

no chance, he wont work with one hand tied behind his back, def not a SL man

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

The title is the headline on the OS. Unfortunately it doesn't seem SL is ready to deliver that final push!

I honestly would after what was a new low last night on the latest LJ winless run. One of the telling factors leading to Cotts going was his absolute stubbornness to change from his favoured 3-5-2 formation even though it was not working. Now we have LJ showing the same absolute stubbornness to change from his favoured 1 up top even for home games against the bottom side. To compound this even after watching an insipid first half with Fammy battling isolated on his own, LJ fails to change it at HT by bringing on Taylor or Semenyo to play up top and support Fammy. He then watches Ipswich dominating at the start of the second half but changes nothing until it, all too predictably, becomes 1-1. Then when he does make subs it's like for like position wise and still we struggle with Fammy up top on his own. Finally in the 82nd minute Taylor comes on. Too little, far too late. Clueless, LJ really is. 

Spot on mate

4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

The title is the headline on the OS. Unfortunately it doesn't seem SL is ready to deliver that final push!

I honestly would after what was a new low last night on the latest LJ winless run. One of the telling factors leading to Cotts going was his absolute stubbornness to change from his favoured 3-5-2 formation even though it was not working. Now we have LJ showing the same absolute stubbornness to change from his favoured 1 up top even for home games against the bottom side. To compound this even after watching an insipid first half with Fammy battling isolated on his own, LJ fails to change it at HT by bringing on Taylor or Semenyo to play up top and support Fammy. He then watches Ipswich dominating at the start of the second half but changes nothing until it, all too predictably, becomes 1-1. Then when he does make subs it's like for like position wise and still we struggle with Fammy up top on his own. Finally in the 82nd minute Taylor comes on. Too little, far too late. Clueless, LJ really is. 

'1' up front even at home and yes vs the bottom side need not be a negative formation. Often isn't in 2019 at decent levels, which the Championship is- so called one up front at home v the bottom side can and should if deployed correctly, easily morph into a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.

How many do Leeds play with up front? Norwich? Interested in your tactical angle here...

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

'1' up front even at home and yes vs the bottom side need not be a negative formation. Not how football works in 2019 at decent levels, which the Championship is.

How many do Leeds play with up front? Norwich? Interested in your tactical angle here...

Agree with you, doesn't need to be a negative formation and actually can work very well, PROVIDED other players get up and about the lone striker to offer support. My point is we have been failing to do that time after time at home, it was crystal clear that the formation was not working again by HT last night, so FFS why didn't LJ change it?

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

'1' up front even at home and yes vs the bottom side need not be a negative formation. Not how football works in 2019 at decent levels, which the Championship is.

It’s the skill (or lack of) of the one up front that’s the problem - Kelly would be more dynamic than Fam (who can be an emergency defender)

A huge part of our confidence problem is the players knowing that 99% of balls to our attacker are wasted, our attacking formation never suits a moocher! We need a target man who is capable of creating his own chances with what he is given.

7 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Agree with you, doesn't need to be a negative formation and actually can work very well, PROVIDED other players get up and about the lone striker to offer support. My point is we have been failing to do that time after time at home, it was crystal clear that the formation was not working again by HT last night, so FFS why didn't LJ change it?

Oh I do agree with this. This is a key problem, I'd have been happy if at HT Diedhiou off, perhaps even for 2nd half revert back to Eliasson, O'Dowda, Weimann and Taylor in that more attacking 4-4-2. Paterson and Diedhiou off. Not saying it's a long term but a fallback option for last night.

6 minutes ago, dave36 said:

It’s the skill (or lack of) of the one up front that’s the problem - Kelly would be more dynamic than Fam (who can be an emergency defender)

A huge part of our confidence problem is the players knowing that 99% of balls to our attacker are wasted, our attacking formation never suits a moocher! We need a target man who is capable of creating his own chances with what he is given.

Yeah, his skillset is an issue, though agree with old eastender about support. He's so slow/lazy though, wow. I was watching him closely again last night during one of the (duller) periods and he barely even breaks into a jog a lot of the time, I'd have considered as an alternative to my fall back idea in my response to old eastender, Taylor or Weimann up front alone as a 2nd half change- at least the energy would have given Ipswich's defence a bit more to think about and Weimann's excellent early runs may have pushed them back a bit. Yet he has flashes of brilliance...the overhead kick attempt, thinking of when he hit the post at Derby in December, he is capable of moments where he looks fantastic but that's all they are...flashes.

2 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Realistically, with 10 games left and now a break to refresh and re-evaluate, it's still in our hands - how many points do you think are needed to remain in the playoffs?

4 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Realistically, with 10 games left and now a break to refresh and re-evaluate, it's still in our hands - how many points do you think are needed to remain in the playoffs?

1.....more than everyone below us gets:dunno: which will be to many for us.....really we will be lucky to win another game

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I only ever ask that we’re not shit. 

Even amidst our winning run we were quite often poor. 

I expect Johnson to be able to see when things aren’t working and change them. Not sit back and hope that they iron themselves out - the 73rd minute! Honestly. 

If you’d had offered me 10th at the start of the season I’d have taken it. But people are allowed to reevaluate their standards based on where we are/were. 

10th now would be a royal disaster. And yet you’d be happy with it. 

How contradicting can you get! You are the worse fan on here and every post makes me laugh. We don’t need fans like you 

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

How much longer in this losing his best 3 players stuff going to be trotted out as an excuse? 

Flint was only allowed to leave after Webster's signing was in the bag, Webster is a far better defender than Flint (I do agree we miss Flint's goals though).

Bryan was replace by Dasilva and/or the emergence of Kelly, again defensively both better than Bryan.

Reid, well fair enough, not adequately replaced by Wiemann.

Also, all 3 of those players were at LJs disposal in the awful run in during the second half of last season, they didn't make the difference then as LJ lost the plot.

LJ talks a good game, that's it, how just how can you defend his handling of last night's match? 

I can't defend his handling of last night's match.  He got it all wrong and it was an abysmal performance.

But I can defend his overall record this season.  If all he is capable of was "talking a good game", then why has he won 15 games, 4 more than he's lost, and why are we in 6th position in the table - significantly higher than most predicted at the start of the season, and all the while working with a moderate budget and selling some of his better players?

It seems for certain posters such as yourself, the losses count for twice what the wins do.  The good performances are quickly forgotten and the poor ones highlighted as reasons why Johnson is "clueless" or "out of his depth".  There is absolutely no attempt at balance.

I can actually respect people who don't think Johnson is the right man for the job.  I'm not actually entirely convinced myself he is the person who can take us to the next stage.  But I can't respect the stubborn refusal of some people to even bring themselves to acknowledge the good as well as the bad, particularly in a season that is - when viewed as a whole - currently exceeding expectations.

17 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

How contradicting can you get! You are the worse fan on here and every post makes me laugh. We don’t need fans like you 

Would it make you feel better if I said I was happy with a point and the performance was excellent?

14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I can't defend his handling of last night's match.  He got it all wrong and it was an abysmal performance.

But I can defend his overall record this season.  If all he is capable of was "talking a good game", then why has he won 15 games, 4 more than he's lost, and why are we in 6th position in the table - significantly higher than most predicted at the start of the season, and all the while working with a moderate budget and selling some of his better players?

It seems for certain posters such as yourself, the losses count for twice what the wins do.  The good performances are quickly forgotten and the poor ones highlighted as reasons why Johnson is "clueless" or "out of his depth".  There is absolutely no attempt at balance.

I can actually respect people who don't think Johnson is the right man for the job.  I'm not actually entirely convinced myself he is the person who can take us to the next stage.  But I can't respect the stubborn refusal of some people to even bring themselves to acknowledge the good as well as the bad, particularly in a season that is - when viewed as a whole - currently exceeding expectations.

Agree LJ needs to be judged after 46 games, not based on us temporarily being 6th. IF he gets us finishing in the top 6 I will eat all the humble pie going. Even if we finish 7th to 10th he will have achieved SL expectations to improve on last seasons finish. Finish outside of the top ten... which seems most likely on current form and it's time for him to go.

4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

How much longer in this losing his best 3 players stuff going to be trotted out as an excuse? 

Flint was only allowed to leave after Webster's signing was in the bag, Webster is a far better defender than Flint (I do agree we miss Flint's goals though).

Bryan was replace by Dasilva and/or the emergence of Kelly, again defensively both better than Bryan.

Reid, well fair enough, not adequately replaced by Wiemann.

Also, all 3 of those players were at LJs disposal in the awful run in during the second half of last season, they didn't make the difference then as LJ lost the plot.

LJ talks a good game, that's it, how just how can you defend his handling of last night's match? 

Losing 3 best players is an excuse for what?  He doesn’t need an excuse does he?  We are currently 6th with 10 to play.  Yeh we’ve lost a few games, not played well etc etc but that’s football.  Too many people on here wetting the bed

2 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Losing 3 best players is an excuse for what?  He doesn’t need an excuse does he?  We are currently 6th with 10 to play.  Yeh we’ve lost a few games, not played well etc etc but that’s football.  Too many people on here wetting the bed

Fair enough. How many points do you think we will take from Shef U and Boro away?

5 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Someone is at last agreeing, LJ is clueless, Fammy upfront by himself, (give him a rest), brings Taylor on with little time to do anything, clueless, and yes I agree SL doesn't want top flight football in Bristol,

5 hours ago, Suffolkcity said:

He's hardly gonna say we're in free fall and toothless is he .....

Of course. A bit more transparency wouldn't go amiss though. 

Fans don't need the sort of bland rhetoric reserved for an annual financial statement.

4 hours ago, Chappers said:

So you advocate something that is not sustainable? We operate within a realistic budget, do pretty well considering, but some people are still not satisfied. It’s just reality of competing alongside clubs with a much larger budget, and quite a few with parachute payments.

Like Ipswich yes?

4 hours ago, Chappers said:

So you advocate something that is not sustainable? We operate within a realistic budget, do pretty well considering, but some people are still not satisfied. It’s just reality of competing alongside clubs with a much larger budget, and quite a few with parachute payments.

My disquiet has nothing to do with budget or contracts. It's to do with how we perform with what we have. 

Last night we'd have achieved the same if the players paired-up, went three legged and downed a pint every 5 mins. 

Makes me wonder what they do in training, other than massaging their egos. 

Archived