IGNORED

Johnson ready for final push

old_eastender

6 hours ago, old_eastender said:

How much longer in this losing his best 3 players stuff going to be trotted out as an excuse? 

Flint was only allowed to leave after Webster's signing was in the bag, Webster is a far better defender than Flint (I do agree we miss Flint's goals though).

Bryan was replace by Dasilva and/or the emergence of Kelly, again defensively both better than Bryan.

Reid, well fair enough, not adequately replaced by Wiemann.

Also, all 3 of those players were at LJs disposal in the awful run in during the second half of last season, they didn't make the difference then as LJ lost the plot.

LJ talks a good game, that's it, how just how can you defend his handling of last night's match? 

Replaced the three to varying degrees of success with money in the bank post in/outs to improve the squad further but that appears to have happened via the loanee route which doesn't reconcile with the stated "project"..

Mid table looks likely as I always suspected by May but disappointingly cannot be seen as progress because  the rollercoaster form, use of subs, nor squad imbalance have been addressed. I don't expect much of anything from 4 of the next 6 games, so the"real"  home match attendance against Reading will be interesting to see, and SL must have been disappointed at how sparse it was last night, shitty weather, televised or not, so if results go as I fear over the next month, then it could be a lot emptier April 19th which is a far more potent expression of fans feeling than a few dozen posters on otib. After Reading, I see nothing from the Wednesday or Derby games on current form, and if Millwall are still fighting for their lives I can;t see anything there either.

All conjecture of course but that's what forums are. so if you disagree, you know as little as I do and the picture will be crystal clear after 46 matches.

All very disappointing that we cannot maintain any degree of consistency. I have zero confidence that LJ is the man to push us anywhere, and finishing 13th will put the owner in a bit of a spot after what he stated as the objective at the start of the season. He won't change the management as a consequence of not meeting objectives, so will look a bit of a lemon i'm afraid, which is a shame as his heart (if not his head) is in the right place.

6 hours ago, Riaz said:

We've improved every season! without the mega richs of the other clubs we compete against, if you EXPECT more than that, you are off your head.

6 hours ago, Chappers said:

So you advocate something that is not sustainable? We operate within a realistic budget, do pretty well considering, but some people are still not satisfied. It’s just reality of competing alongside clubs with a much larger budget, and quite a few with parachute payments.

I am just saying that this is what sustainability will inevitably give you.If you buy players to develop and sell on it's like being stuck in a revolving door, plus why would a top player join us if he knows that.Be sustainable yes but mix that with a bit of ambition and see where it takes you.

1 hour ago, CityCiderEd said:

I am just saying that this is what sustainability will inevitably give you.If you buy players to develop and sell on it's like being stuck in a revolving door, plus why would a top player join us if he knows that.Be sustainable yes but mix that with a bit of ambition and see where it takes you.

Ah yes, ambition, what exactly is that? Spending money that you can’t afford which can provide a short term fix, but in the longer term saddles you with debt, and past extravagance has led us to the third tier. One season the Gods will smile, our purchases will work, our youngsters will shine, and we won’t have a draining cup run, or too many matches in April with no experienced keeper!

35 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Ah yes, ambition, what exactly is that? Spending money that you can’t afford which can provide a short term fix, but in the longer term saddles you with debt, and past extravagance has led us to the third tier. One season the Gods will smile, our purchases will work, our youngsters will shine, and we won’t have a draining cup run, or too many matches in April with no experienced keeper!

We have an international goal keeper who had a debut for us that would make a hooker blush. He is experienced at 27

SL HAS plenty of ambition or does no one look around them Every other Saturday. 

SL has spent 100m to make us competitive and LJ was given the task of a better finish than last season and be competitive with the top six. Which like it or not he has achieved. 

I agree one season we will achieve it and I’m not sure it won’t be this one. However it’s going to take a lot of work a little luck and a game plan for the last ten that doesn’t make us look and play like ass!!

4 hours ago, Chappers said:

By ambition I mean keeping your best players and building a good side that can compete. If you constantly sell your best players you will be rebuilding season after season. This is the template that SL means by sustainability. Buy young hungry players,develop them and hopefully sell them on at a profit. Great for a business but not so good for a football club who's aim is surely to play at the very highest level they can.

22 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

If we finish in tenth place now I’d seriously consider changing the head coach .

That is if we really want progress which we probably don’t.

I am coming back to the impression that Uncle Steve is too nice to be a winner in football .

if we finish in tenth place now I'd seriously consider bolstering my squad/ bringing in players the next time we are loitering around the promotion shake-up heading toward Wassail/Burns night....

22 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

It could be 0

it could be 1 

it could be 2

it could be 3

it could be 4

It could be 6

One thing is certain...

It won't be 5

Nice. Do you think it is more likely to be 0 pts or 6 pts?

On 13/03/2019 at 17:59, REDOXO said:

We have an international goal keeper who had a debut for us that would make a hooker blush. He is experienced at 27

SL HAS plenty of ambition or does no one look around them Every other Saturday. 

SL has spent 100m to make us competitive and LJ was given the task of a better finish than last season and be competitive with the top six. Which like it or not he has achieved. 

I agree one season we will achieve it and I’m not sure it won’t be this one. However it’s going to take a lot of work a little luck and a game plan for the last ten that doesn’t make us look and play like ass!!

Season's not finished yet so he's achieved fuckall in that regard.

I think we're in the same predicament as Boro. 2/3 weeks ago our position in the top 6 looked very strong, points on board, games in hand, a couple of what many would say were winnable fixtures. Now we're both in a position where we can't afford bad results or you drop out the top 6 and the pack are closing in. I think the Sheff Utd game we have to go for it, attack from the first minute. I would rather we lost 3-2 like we did at Norwich then try and contain a draw or nick and win and end up losing 1-0.

Boro will be tense and I think it will be a boring drawn game, possibly 0-0, 1-1 at best. Neither team will want to lose, neither team is playing well and a point would not be disastrous for either team.

Realistically I think it will be 1 or 2 points, but if we go out and take the game to Sheff Utd and go gung ho, shit or bust, it could easily be 4.

3 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Season's not finished yet so he's achieved fuckall in that regard.

He’s been competitive with the top six so far which is what was asked. Final position as you eloquently and obviously allude we don’t know yet!

14 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Probably neither.

Let me try again...

You don't think we'll lose both games and you don't think we'll win both. 

We know 5 points is off the table, so you expect either:

One defeat, one draw

Two draws

One draw, one win

Any thoughts on which is most likely or are you remaining agnostic?

On 13/03/2019 at 09:26, Chappers said:

So you advocate something that is not sustainable? We operate within a realistic budget, do pretty well considering, but some people are still not satisfied. It’s just reality of competing alongside clubs with a much larger budget, and quite a few with parachute payments.

Yet another post about it all being about budget - it simply isn’t.

It is a factor but it is not the only one.

If it was, there would be no point in actually playing any games, once the transfer window closes in the summer each club, in every league in the world, declares how much they have spent on players and the associated wages - top three, in the case of this league, then get promoted.

It would save an awful lot of effort for us supporters, traveling to games, sorting parking and, sitting in a stadium on a cold January afternoon.

I think you are on to something there.

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Yet another post about it all being about budget - it simply isn’t.

It is a factor but it is not the only one.

If it was, there would be no point in actually playing any games, once the transfer window closes in the summer each club, in every league in the world, declares how much they have spent on players and the associated wages - top three, in the case of this league, then get promoted.

It would save an awful lot of effort for us supporters, traveling to games, sorting parking and, sitting in a stadium on a cold January afternoon.

I think you are on to something there.

WTF are you on about??? I am just stating the obvious that we can’t go blowing cash we don’t have on some gamble for promotion, bearing in mind a lot of other clubs have real cash to do this. I think that after 40 years at the Gate I have sussed that league position in the Championship is not solely based on expenditure.

1 minute ago, Chappers said:

WTF are you on about??? I am just stating the obvious that we can’t go blowing cash we don’t have on some gamble for promotion, bearing in mind a lot of other clubs have real cash to do this. I think that after 40 years at the Gate I have sussed that league position in the Championship is not solely based on expenditure.

So why use the excuse of budget and parachute payments? Your whole post was based on those factors.

Not having budgets equal to or greater than other clubs is a disadvantage but is not a defining factor.

11 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

So why use the excuse of budget and parachute payments? Your whole post was based on those factors.

Not having budgets equal to or greater than other clubs is a disadvantage but is not a defining factor.

Correct- how much does Wilder spend for example?

Best £ for £ manager in this League for me...Bielsa has the CV with Argentina, Athletic Bilbao, Marseille etc but Wilder is brilliant. What he's done there is brilliant and playing an impressive brand of football too.

54 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Correct- how much does Wilder spend for example?

Best £ for £ manager in this League for me...Bielsa has the CV with Argentina, Athletic Bilbao, Marseille etc but Wilder is brilliant. What he's done there is brilliant and playing an impressive brand of football too.

He’s spent efficiently, not much on fees, but I bet their wages have gone up significantly, partly through loans (not forgetting loan fees).

I think we have used similar logic with our Chelsea loans.

Wolves did a similar thing last year.

Huddersfield with Mooy and Kachunga, etc, that they turned into permie deals. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s spent efficiently, not much on fees, but I bet their wages have gone up significantly, partly through loans (not forgetting loan fees).

I think we have used similar logic with our Chelsea loans.

Wolves did a similar thing last year.

Huddersfield with Mooy and Kachunga, etc, that they turned into permie deals. 

Yeah, the wages would be interesting to see.

Still think he's done a top class job there, though taking them over when they were ambling around in League One. Seems to give aging players a bit of a second wind, or those who have lost their way a bit elsewhere too...think their wage bill last season was about £19m so they aren't paupers but still great work.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, the wages would be interesting to see.

Still think he's done a top class job there, though taking them over when they were ambling around in League One. Seems to give aging players a bit of a second wind, or those who have lost their way a bit elsewhere too...think their wage bill last season was about £19m so they aren't paupers but still great work.

I don’t like the bloke for some reason, so it’s begrudging Credit!!!  Their wage bill will be similar to ours now I think.

Reminds me a bit of the Southampton teams from late 70s early 80s under McMenemy, who got in players deemed past their best and gave them a new lease.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t like the bloke for some reason, so it’s begrudging Credit!!!  Their wage bill will be similar to ours now I think.

Reminds me a bit of the Southampton teams from late 70s early 80s under McMenemy, who got in players deemed past their best and gave them a new lease.

In terms of chippiness, would it be fair to say there's a bit of Warnock.about him? Not style of play, his back 3 with wide and rotating centre backs is excellent plus far removed from Warnock, but great job though he's done- and I stand by that- there is something about him.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They had six  ex England captains in their squad in 1982! One of my fave quiz questions - I think they were:

Kevin Keegan

Peter Shilton

Mick Mills

Dave Watson

Alan Ball

Mick Channon

.......and also, which two of those played for the gas in their latter years? One, actually played his last games in da famous quarterz!

On 13/03/2019 at 08:56, old_eastender said:

How much longer in this losing his best 3 players stuff going to be trotted out as an excuse? 

Flint was only allowed to leave after Webster's signing was in the bag, Webster is a far better defender than Flint (I do agree we miss Flint's goals though).

Bryan was replace by Dasilva and/or the emergence of Kelly, again defensively both better than Bryan.

Reid, well fair enough, not adequately replaced by Wiemann.

Also, all 3 of those players were at LJs disposal in the awful run in during the second half of last season, they didn't make the difference then as LJ lost the plot.

LJ talks a good game, that's it, how just how can you defend his handling of last night's match? 

Good post Chief.....and I actually thought Baker was as good as, if not better than, Flint as a defender....

Archived