IGNORED

Johnson ready for final push

old_eastender

22 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

They had six  ex England captains in their squad in 1982! One of my fave quiz questions - I think they were:

Kevin Keegan

Peter Shilton

Mick Mills

Dave Watson

Alan Ball

Mick Channon

.......and also, which two of those played for the gas in their latter years? One, actually played his last games in da famous quarterz!

Ball definitely (the last game one) and Channon (?)

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I just remember Roger Malone (?) on The West Match screaming `Alan Ball. He doesn`t get many!` when he scored for the sags one time. It`s sad but I can still hear it in my head to this day!

...what a hideous memory for you! I think dear old Alan played around 20 games for the sags....if it helps, I find Chilean Merlot can aid memory loss....

On 15/03/2019 at 16:22, Davefevs said:

I don’t like the bloke for some reason, so it’s begrudging Credit!!!  Their wage bill will be similar to ours now I think.

Reminds me a bit of the Southampton teams from late 70s early 80s under McMenemy, who got in players deemed past their best and gave them a new lease.

Or a bit like Brian Clough, who brought in rough diamonds like Kenny Burns, Larry Lloyd and John Robertson?

Which of his recruits has LJ polished up? At present, a big fat zero.

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Or a bit like Brian Clough, who brought in rough diamonds like Kenny Burns, Larry Lloyd and John Robertson?

Which of his recruits has LJ polished up? At present, a big fat zero.

LJs signings who have improved under him: 

Brownhill, Webster, ODowda (although off the boil of late), DaSilva, Eliasson.

Plus academy wise; Reid, Kelly, OLeary, Morrell

On 13/03/2019 at 09:24, Riaz said:

We've improved every season! without the mega richs of the other clubs we compete against, if you EXPECT more than that, you are off your head.

You are obviously one of those people that looks at finishing positions every season and just uses those as a gauge as to whether we are progressing or not....fair enough, that is your way of looking at our club, and each to their own......but....in my opinion, and lots of others I know, we are not progressing....we were in 2nd place in the championship at the end of 2017 - and we  finished 11th in the 2017/2018 season.....to you, and so many others, that is progress....

I`m wondering if the "final push" will happen if "the wind is swirling" like it was v Ipswich (weather blamed again for poor performance, although it was the same weather for both teams)

The cure in LJ`S view is rest, press the re-set button, dig deep and go again.....closely followed after Sheff Utd by; not quite back up to speed yet after the break/rest, fine lines, poor decisions...so predictable.

Reality is nothing changes here season on season, the excuses, our rubbish Jan transfer window and our fall away after it. The only thing now is how far will we fall ? further than last season imo.

After this comes our cashing in of our best assets and a delve into the lower leagues to replace them, hoping to build again......round and around we go.

We still got a good position in the leauge, with one or two games in hand. Ten games to play and 30 points. We have good teams to meet and the only thing to be top six is to play better. At the moment we have a bad run but who knows what the remaining ten games bring. Its up to LJ and the players, we are far from down and out. Still I

On 13/03/2019 at 17:18, Chappers said:

Ah yes, ambition, what exactly is that? Spending money that you can’t afford which can provide a short term fix, but in the longer term saddles you with debt, and past extravagance has led us to the third tier. One season the Gods will smile, our purchases will work, our youngsters will shine, and we won’t have a draining cup run, or too many matches in April with no experienced keeper!

And pigs will be spotted flying over the Atyeo

Archived