IGNORED

One footed players not good enough at the higher levels of the game

Major Isewater

The coaching staff need to work on certain players who don’t realise that they can kick with their less favoured foot. It’s not against the rules.

Kelly’s own goal would have probably not happened if he had just cleared the ball with his right foot .

Against Leeds Diedhiou was clear in the box and a side step and shot with his left foot would have had a good chance of a goal.

Pack costs the team so much time as he manœuvres the ball onto his right foot.

Not only this but one footed players are too easy to read for the opponents.

I’m not demanding that they play ‘ Hollywood ‘ balls with their less favoured side but at least to realise sometimes that they can take the simple option  and that it can be more effective .

All players should be drilled to play off either foot. Practice, practice, practice until they are comfortable to receive and give the ball with ease from both sides . 

Yes, the leg division, Mr. Spiggott.

You are deficient in it to the tune of one. Your right leg I like. I like your right leg.

A lovely leg for the role. That's what I said when I saw you come in. I said "A lovely leg for the role." I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is - neither have you. 

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The coaching staff need to work on certain players who don’t realise that they can kick with their less favoured foot. It’s not against the rules.

Kelly’s own goal would have probably not happened if he had just cleared the ball with his right foot .

Against Leeds Diedhiou was clear in the box and a side step and shot with his left foot would have had a good chance of a goal.

I’m not demanding that they play ‘ Hollywood ‘ balls with their less favoured side but at least to realise sometimes that they can take the simple option  and that it can be more effective .

All players should be drilled to play off either foot. Practice, practice, practice until they are comfortable to receive and give the ball with ease from both sides . 

Couldn't agree more. As examples;

Vardy's 2nd goal at the weekend

Owen winning a cup final back in 2001? 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Michael Owen did okay with one foot. And a certain Mr Tinnion only had a right leg and foot to stop him from toppling over.

And Norman Hunter was all left foot ( incidentally cost  England a World Cup place as he was robbed ) but I’m referring to the 21st century .

9 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Probably the single most frustrating thing about professional footballers. How can they not spend time in training developing their weak foot?

14 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Yes, the leg division, Mr. Spiggott.

You are deficient in it to the tune of one. Your right leg I like. I like your right leg.

A lovely leg for the role. That's what I said when I saw you come in. I said "A lovely leg for the role." I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is - neither have you. 

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

That needs to be done before they are professional

Maradonna and Messi  done ok with only a left foot

Maradona did Ok with just one hand.

13 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

I agree with both points, but for players who aren't at that level and struggle with their weaker foot it is an issue

23 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Michael Owen did okay with one foot. And a certain Mr Tinnion only had a right leg and foot to stop him from toppling over.

Owen had so much pace he almost always had time to choose which foot to finish with whilst having a cup of tea. No disrespect to Tinnion, one of my all-time favourite City players but he played at a different time when left-footed players were far and few and players who could play with both feet were considered wizards.

Major is right, the Championship level of talent is rising considerably and whilst a one-footed player can make it into the team and be useful a player with the ability to use both feet opens far more opportunities. I'd imagine we've all played football at some point and anyone who has tried to mark a player who only uses one foot knows you can position yourself a lot easier because you already know they have fewer options. If Pack could use both feet he'd be up another level again, especially when he plays a central role as he has so many options around him if he can make a pass with that left foot.

18 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Probably the single most frustrating thing about professional footballers. How can they not spend time in training developing their weak foot?

They do. But the golden age of development is very early. As a child. If you have not developed a high level of competency with a football by 13/14 it would be unusual to develop It later.

14 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Messi has exceptional two footed dribbling skill. He is an example of how skill is developed. By the age of five he had spent thousands of hours practising. 

On 13/03/2019 at 12:22, JonDolman said:

Pack is the most one footed player I have seen. He doesn't even like to attempt the most simple of passes with his left. Webster, Walsh and Pato all very much both footed. Most of the others are very one footed.

I’ve always thought of Pato being one footed, that’s why he has to run round in circles. 

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Think that's just him holding it up and waiting for runners. He was taking corners with his left foot earlier this season which only both footed players would ever do.

Oh, I would expect a player to be able to swap it on to the other foot to change direction 

On 13/03/2019 at 08:32, Major Isewater said:

If they can only play with one foot then their contracts should be halved !!

On 13/03/2019 at 23:24, City Cat said:

I remember Mickey Bell scoring a couple of cracking goals with his (weaker) right foot, catching the opposition by surprise as defenders concentrated on keeping a shooting opportunity away from his left foot...

He scored a cracker from the angle of the penalty area against Rovers with his right foot

Archived